• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Toki767

The conference was okay for me. Macbooks with retina will be really nice. Mountain Lion for $20 seems like a steal. iOS 6 I wasn't really impressed by.

I can't wait for casual consumers to think Apple are the ones who invented turn by turn navigation on phones.

NawidA

Banned
It's mind boggling how people just accept that Apple doesn't support the OG iPad anymore and even want to upgrade because of that. Mission accomplished I'd say, that's how you get people to spend over 500$ again just after 2 years...
I had an OG iPad and it had problems keeping up with iOS 5. This is not a surprise.

No branding anywhere except the bottom. Just like iOS devices. That's how it's done.

0stRc.jpg
Yeah that's the beautiful thing about Apple, they don't need to plaster the branding all over it because the design IS the brand.

The fan engineering stuff is blowing my mind, that really speaks volumes about how much attention to detail Apple pays, and you see it in the resulting products.

Another cool thing they pointed out in the retina display part of the video - in Final Cut you get full 1080p video in the viewer with still plenty of room for all the tools and edit furniture around it.

Midas

Any info on how retina mbp will work? Will you be able to run it att full resolution without retina if you want everything to be super tiny?

They canned the 17 inch. Its gone and never coming back.
Sucks because I want something portable that also doubles as a desktop. I have a 21.5" iMac now and need something portable for school now.

15" is too small for a desktop. Then again 17" MacBook pro is borderline not portable from what I've read.

I'm kinda in a tricky situation here. Can't afford both a MacBook and iMac. That would be the perfect solution.

You know, I've seen you singing the same sour note this whole thread, and I know your reasons, but I have to shake my head. I shuttle around big fucking XDCAM files all day, edit stuff in FCP and Premiere, and still I don't understand what your problem is. That thunderbolt-=Ethernet adapter is simply not that big of a deal. And I've been around, so to me, and the hoops we used to have to jump through to edit any sort of decent video on the go, well it just sounds like sour grapes.
The thing that really irritates me is that they're removing "legacy" ports to make something a bit thinner. Removing firewire is one thing, but ethernet? That is one port that is widely used all the time.

The pursuit of an aesthetically pleasing laptop over functionality + combined with their approach to FCPX is what deeply concerns me.

EDIT: Just noticed the lack of a drive too. Do I have to hook up an external bluray burner to one of the few ports available (+ figure out a work around to get it working) in order to archive projects?

eznark

Banned
Yeah that's the beautiful thing about Apple, they don't need to plaster the branding all over it because the design IS the brand.

The fan engineering stuff is blowing my mind, that really speaks volumes about how much attention to detail Apple pays, and you see it in the resulting products.

I like that they find elegant solutions (or at least present their solutions elegantly) to problems endemic to the respective platforms.

Somnid

That's right, I forgot about that.

Budget and Apple don't go together very often.

Hey iPad kept the same price and went high-res. The new MBP's even with all that hardware probably suck at real performance tasks like gaming but I'd love to have a reasonably spec'd machine with a high-res display.

Chris R

Whats the point of the hdmi? No external can do the retina justice, and you can literally connect wirelessly with an apple tv

Not everyone has an Apple TV. HDMI out is great for presentations and what not.

Would have been killer if it was HDMI in too... Imagine being able to plug your consoles into this thing...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't get why they singled it out to autistic kids though. It seems like it's kids in general.

Because kids in general might accidentally delete your photos, but they don't view a single photo, get a bad feeling in their stomach, start screaming, and delete every single photo on your device intentionally.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sucks because I want something portable that also doubles as a desktop. I have a 21.5" iMac now and need something portable for school now.

15" is too small for a desktop. Then again 17" MacBook pro is borderline not portable from what I've read.

I'm kinda in a tricky situation here. Can't afford both a MacBook and iMac. That would be the perfect solution.

15 inch works great. Ive used macbook pro + monitor as desktop for years now.

AngryMoth

Just caught up. First impression is disappointed. Nothing in iOS6 jumped out at me particularly, the main things I was looking for were live icons and for then to open up the Siri api and didn't get either. Guess we'll have to wait until the new iPhone to see what their plans are for widgets, thankfully I plan on getting it. Their maps app seems much better than I was expecting but the lack of a streetview equivekant is a bitter pill to swallow.

The new MBP looks absoluelty amazing but I can't afford to upgrade until at least next year so it only serves to make me jealous for now. I was really hoping for new iMacs which were MIA, although I'm still hoping for a silent spec bump when the store goes back up.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Why not a 15" pro and a random big display that you connect the laptop to at home?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The conference was okay for me. Macbooks with retina will be really nice. Mountain Lion for $20 seems like a steal. iOS 6 I wasn't really impressed by.

I can't wait for casual consumers to think Apple are the ones who invented turn by turn navigation on phones.

I think most of us are happy it is now on the iphone, who cares where it was first.

taoofjord

It's mind boggling how people just accept that Apple doesn't support the OG iPad anymore and even want to upgrade because of that. Mission accomplished I'd say, that's how you get people to spend over 500$ again just after 2 years...

That's how gadgets are though. Not to mention that the person in question wouldn't be spending $500 as they could sell their iPad and put the money toward a new one. There are plenty of people buying used iPads.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Will wait for a 15" Macbook Pro with the Retina display + super drive.

Apple won't add super drive to retina display MBPs, guaranteed. It's far more likely that they will be subtracting the superdrive when it comes time to retina display the other MBPs in their lineup.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
you would be the type to fall for that type of nonsense. i'll put good money down that at full tilt these will sound nearly as loud as the 2011 MBP. it still looks to be pulling air through the keyboard and venting through the hinge, which isn't the most efficient way of doing things. the heat-pipes look to be roughly equivalent as well.

there's only so much you can do with fans in that small of an enclosure to reduce noise.

btkadams

wow. i'm really impressed with ios6. it seems to bring all of the features i've been wanting for a while. it's too bad it doesn't come out until the fall. are developer releases for ios decent? i might be that impatient.

i wasn't too sure from the verge feed, does the canadian language support mean we get siri-location-based stuff?

Top Bottom