• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm not spending 2k to have to carry around a portable drive. My 2010 MBP is fine until they come up with a MBP that has everything I want in it.
Then you should really move to another manufacturer. They are clearly removing the drives. I don't think they would backtrack on that. They aren't going to reintroduce the drive. I suspect after another refresh none of the mobile lineup will have actual cd drives.

M-PG71C

Just caught up. First impression is disappointed. Nothing in iOS6 jumped out at me particularly, the main things I was looking for were live icons and for then to open up the Siri api and didn't get either. Guess we'll have to wait until the new iPhone to see what their plans are for widgets, thankfully I plan on getting it.

The new MBP looks absoluelty amazing but I can't afford to upgrade until at least next year so it only serves to make me jealous for now. I was really hoping for new iMacs which were MIA, although I'm still hoping for a silent spec bump when the store goes back up.

That's how I feel too. I really want the iMac to get that spec bump (and retina screen damnit!) as I was intending to buy one within the next month or two.

C'Mon silent upgrade, I don't want a damn laptop!

zychi

Banned
How long do you guys think itll be before the retina macbook will be in stores? I want to play with it just to see what the retina difference is.

Enco

wow. i'm really impressed with ios6. it seems to bring all of the features i've been wanting for a while. it's too bad it doesn't come out until the fall. are developer releases for ios decent? i might be that impatient.

i wasn't too sure from the verge feed, does the canadian language support mean we get siri-location-based stuff?
Yea I think the location based stuff is being made worldwide.

Unless if I misunderstood. If so, I'm gonna be pissed.

Lkr

Action sheets are now icons. Much cleaner.
wGpue.png

what does the lock at the right of the status bar mean?

So I want this asap.

I have a apple store where I live where I can get on a list when they arrive or I am assuming order one direct from apple today.

Which is the better option?

dc89

Sorry to keep banging on about the price of the new MBP in the UK and a direct conversion brings it out at £1417. So I'm actually thinking more like £1600 now. Ouch.

Hari Seldon

Then you should really move to another manufacturer. They are clearing removing the drives. I don't think they would backtrack on that. They aren't going to reintroduce the drive. I suspect after another refresh none of the mobile lineup will have actual cd drives.

That is what I will likely end up doing, or simply not buy a personal laptop at all and stick with a gaming desktop + work laptop + iPhone.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
HDMI surprised me, thought they were going to march right past it and never look back with TB (I would have preferred a third TB or USB3 port IMO)

In one to two years (tops) this will be the MBP just like the Air phased out the MacBook. Only difference being that they are keeping the name the same :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not spending 2k to have to carry around a portable drive. My 2010 MBP is fine until they come up with a MBP that has everything I want in it.

You think they are going to re-add the optical drive?
The masses don't give a fuck about optical drives when everything is supplied digitally these days, or way easier to transfer with a memory stick.
There are people that desperately need them though, and apple supplies a portable superdrive for those people.

Physical media is dead, yo.

Oppo

The thing that really irritates me is that they're removing "legacy" ports to make something a bit thinner. Removing firewire is one thing, but ethernet? That is one port that is widely used all the time.

The pursuit of an aesthetically pleasing laptop over functionality + combined with their approach to FCPX is what deeply concerns me.

EDIT: Just noticed the lack of a drive too. Do I have to hook up an external bluray burner to one of the few ports available (+ figure out a work around to get it working) in order to archive projects?

Sure. I get that, I really do. But, they are still selling a bunch of the other models, are they not?

15 inch works great. Ive used macbook pro + monitor as desktop for years now.
So you can plug your MacBook Pro into an external monitor and use it with a seperate Bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Almost like it is a Mac-mini? Does the MacBook pro screen-lid stay shut (like in sleep state) or does it have to be open? (not sure how to word this as I've never tried this)

That may be a good solution actually...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
There are a couple of awesome Thunderbolt breakout boxes that have all that shit--Firewire, Firewire 800, USB3, USB2 ect.

which cost a pretty penny. it's not practical to continue with firewire drives with USB3 now included. i'm probably going to change the enclosures on several of my media drives in anticipation of either that or eSATA to connect our next Macs to.

Quick

Banned
So you can plug your MacBook Pro into an external monitor and use it with a seperate Bluetooth mouse and keyboard? Almost like it is a Mac-mini? Does the MacBook pro screen-lid stay shut (like in sleep state) or does it have to be open? (not sure how to word this as I've never tried this)

You can have it shut. If you're feeling fancy, you can even pick up one of these things:

BookArc_setup_headerimg_large.jpg

BookArc Stand.

zychi

Banned

You can have it open, or closed.
Wireless mouse/track pad and wireless keyboard.

Pretty simple.

twofold

You can leave the screen on and use it as a second monitor or you can leave it closed.

Pair it up with one of these and you have an awesome desktop/laptop combo - http://hengedocks.com/

(I'm sure they'll be releasing a new one for the new Macbook pro soon.)

Facebook integration isn't coming to OS X until this fall. Probably not until iOS 6 comes out and debuts the feature.

I wonder if this means it won't be fully supported in the iOS 6 betas either...?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ, they brought everything I was hoping for today and more (stuff like Passbook, shared Photo Streams). Super excited for the next couple of months.

Yeah that's the beautiful thing about Apple, they don't need to plaster the branding all over it because the design IS the brand.

Maybe you missed the glowing Apple logo on the back of all its laptop, where when you go to a coffee shop you feel you walked in an Apple presser with all the glowing logos

Or maybe I just got bootleg version which comes with the glowing logo

KingKong

nope. what I do: plug in monitor, open laptop and turn on. once it's on it displays on monitor and laptop, close laptop lid and it switches the full display to the monitor

What was that abnormally long iPod/Phone that kept popping up? Sneak peak at the 5 or a new iPod that they'll officially announce soon? Weird they didn't mention it, it's obviously a new product of some sort.

Hope it's the new iPod and it comes out soon, I'd like to have a small thing like that to have in my pocket as a mp3 player/ RSS reader/ GAF device. Current iPod Touch is a little too small.

I have about $1400 to spend on a new computer setup for school, debating between 13" Air + iPod Touch or iPad + decent PC.

hmmm seems like 13" i7 would be a better buy at the moment for me. i want the retina so bad but id rather put that $700 towards the thunderbolt display which im getting regardless.

LuffyZoro

wow. i'm really impressed with ios6. it seems to bring all of the features i've been wanting for a while. it's too bad it doesn't come out until the fall. are developer releases for ios decent? i might be that impatient.

i wasn't too sure from the verge feed, does the canadian language support mean we get siri-location-based stuff?

Canadian language support means Siri will say "eh" after every sentence.

Top Bottom