• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Student discount in the US puts the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display down to $1999. It also comes with a $100 App Store Gift card for the back to school promotion. That would be a pretty good deal.

Hmm it might be worth giving my nephew the bills and having him pick it up for me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
How is the Express just as a router, worth it (signal strength, stability and so on) or should I look into getting something I can do DD-WRT stuff on?

I use a Time Capsule, which is basically an Airport + hard drive. It works great. Best router I've ever owned.

zychi

Banned
Really? I remember the 2010 MBPs going up same day!
Well, I'll cross my fingers.
Personally I'd rather save several hundred dollars and just wait a little bit but... that would suck :)

They list them, but amazon doesn't resell them officially. You probably saw a second hand buyer for the mbp

Student discount in the US puts the new MacBook Pro with Retina Display down to $1999. It also comes with a $100 App Store Gift card for the back to school promotion. That would be a pretty good deal.
Whoa. I hope Canada gets a similar deal. Totally forgot about using my student discount.

oh wow. this is shitty. the base $2200 retina MBP can’t have the flash storage upgraded as an option during checkout. 256 GB is the only option

You need to move up to the $2800 model (with the 512 GB drive) to get the optional upgrade to 768 GB (for an extra 500 bucks, natch.)

I haven’t been following flash storage prices too closely but isn’t 500 bucks for 256 GB kind of insane?

Same bait and switch as MBA. CPU Upgrade + SSD upgrade in one. $ per GB with SSD goes up sharply past 256GB though, unless it's a dirt cheap part with bottom-barrel MLC. Kinda impressed 768GB is even being offered...

Tobor

This is why I hope that when the iMac gets upgraded to Retina+SSD, the SuperDrive gets removed and we get SSD+HDD combo, so I can still have plenty of storage but run all of the truly important shit off of an SSD.

They don't need to change anything for that, you've been able to order an iMac with SSD+HDD for a year now.

FuturusX

Oh shit. How much will you get for the 17 inch?

No idea. I never sell anything. I have an IT business so I'll repurpose it in some way, that's how I'll justify it. I may dedicate it as a replacement desktop or something..

The 17 inch is very portable anyway...

dc89

Not bad.

sb5sO.png

Is that with some sort of discount applied to it cause I can't see those prices on Apple's website.

If pro's really are working on macbook pro displays, they have other problems then the loss of the 17".

Truth.

As a pro photographer for 18 years, I have never seen the rational behind the 17" MBP. If I'm on location, smaller is always better. If I'm in the studio or somewhere where I can have a huge screen, LOL @ using a laptop screen.

You will practically not find a single pro photography studio that isn't using 15" or 17" MBPs as primary computers, and new iPads as quick-response viewfinders.

15" MBPs you see all the time. I never see 17" MBPs anymore. I use a 13" on location.

I have never been in ANY studio worth a damn that uses the laptop screen as a monitor in-studio if they have the option of using anything better.

Just curious: What market are you in? What studios do you use?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Not bad. But tbh the lineup could be trimmed easily. Dump the 13" MBP, it does nothing better than the 13" MBA except having a DVD drive built in. Next year I can see the 15" MBP going, because the 'next generation' naming of the retina MBP sounds like it'll take over

So 11" MBA for compactness; 13" MBA for mass market; 15" retina for top end.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You will practically not find a single pro photography studio that isn't using 15" or 17" MBPs as primary computers, and new iPads as quick-response viewfinders.

The people I know who work in print all have CRT/EIZO/whathaveyou screens. How could someone work on screens that have such a bad (in comparison) color/contrast reproduction and viewing angle is beyond me.

JackEtc

Guys, which upgrade do you think is worth more, 2.6GHz i7 to 2.7GHz i7 for $225, or 8GB of RAM to 16GB of RAM for $180?

I only think I'm going to get one or the other. Actually, tempted to get both. HNNNNG

does it matter what video card i use for illustration and design work? the intel 4000 one should be fine, right?

i7 / 8gb ram should also be enough?

my current pc is i7 / 16gb ram but i dont think photoshop and illustrator cs5 push this machine at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Someone who knows much better than I do, please answer my two questions! :)

1. Do you think that the new bottom-end 13" Air play recent-ish (but not hugely resource-intensive) games like Civ V, Diablo III, and so on, reasonably well?

2. As far as I can tell, the update to the Airs was pretty minimal. Does now seem like a 'bad' time to buy? (I have a 2009 low-end refurb white Macbook that still runs fine. I'd like to upgrade, but it isn't urgent. So I don't want to update at a bad time.)

Previous one could play civ. new one with the updated intel graphics should handle Diablo ok.

This is a good time to buy. Last years models were a good step up with sandy bridge, and this update brings more SSD space and I think more ram othe base model (wasn't it 2GB last year?) and faster graphics.

Nibel

What the hell is wrong with their Euro prices? You could get that MBP 13" for 1080€ as student and know it's 100€ more

Boner killed!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wallets $4661.88 lighter today. Ordered 2 of the base MacBook pros with the new screen. Now gotta unload my 13 MacBook air...

Rootbeer

Banned
They list them, but amazon doesn't resell them officially. You probably saw a second hand buyer for the mbp
Nope! I just checked my old order on amazon.com, i got it with prime shipping direct from amazon on april 13, 2010 (wikipedia confirms they did launch on april 13)

if they don't show up on amazon today I'll be a sad, sad geek with a fistfull of money

Guys, which upgrade do you think is worth more, 2.6GHz i7 to 2.7GHz i7 for $225, or 8GB of RAM to 16GB of RAM for $180?

I only think I'm going to get one or the other. Actually, tempted to get both. HNNNNG
Ram by a long shot. 2.6 to 2.7 for that much is bullshit. 8GB of ram for $180 is also bullshit but if your set on getting one then go ram.

sorry if asked before just got home from work.

Is the keynote video up yet?

And talking about the maps, is the maps and navigation thing a USA thing only or international also?

Previous one could play civ. new one with the updated intel graphics should handle Diablo ok.

This is a good time to buy. Last years models were a good step up with sandy bridge, and this update brings more SSD space and I think more ram othe base model (wasn't it 2GB last year?) and faster graphics.

11" base was 2GB, all other models were 4GB I think. The improvement here is now you can get >4GB RAM and 512GB SSDs

MrMephistoX

I have last year's iMac and it runs Diablo 3 great, not really sure how the performance of the entry level MBPs or air compare though.

zychi

Banned
Nope! I just checked my old order on amazon.com, i got it with prime shipping direct from amazon on april 13, 2010 (wikipedia confirms they did launch on april 13)

if they don't show up on amazon today I'll be a sad, sad geek with a fistfull of money

that was over 2 years ago man. im talking the last refresh of the airs and the silent mbp updates in february of this year

Top Bottom