• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

AHA-Lambda

Show was great...

The lack of iMac and/or Mac Pro updates is really stupid. And I know it has a slight processor bump in the MP's, but that's not NEAR enough.

yeah weird iMac didn't get retina display, then again I'm glad my new iMac isn't outdated already :)

eznark

Banned
New iPhones will likely be the only thing that'll register interest among the broader public.

Happens every single conference: iPhone, iPad, WWDC. It's the best time to buy their stock.

They probably stopped caring because everyone fell asleep during the keynote.

That makes sense, everything we saw and then some was rumored to be announced at this conference so it was factored into the stock price already.

You guys are missing the funny part. CNBC is saying that as a result of the Apple press conference, the entire market is down 1%.

Raistlin

if you can afford a 4k projector, you're not worried about how much this retina display laptop costs.
I don't have one - it was a joke.

Though I made it because I assumed you were joking too. Were you not? Obviously there are reasons to use an external monitor regardless of resolution. And beyond that, obviously we're going to see 2880 x 1800 or higher monitors in the near future. Assuming they're using a properly clocked Tx, single link HDMI can support that at 60Hz (at least with 24-bit color).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
They've got something up their sleeve for the iMac...it was the only untouched PC they've got (Mac Mini be damned!)

JayDub

I wonder if the RAM is user replaceable. $200 upgrade to 16gb is a tough swallow.

Also, the CPU upgrade to 2.7 comes with 8mb L3 cache, how much does the stock 2.6 come with?

EDIT:

Actually, the RAM isnt too bad for laptop RAM, but 250 for that CPU upgrade is like a full i7 3570k, second best performing desktop CPU on Z77..

Karud

I wonder if the RAM is user replaceable. $200 upgrade to 16gb is a tough swallow.

Also, the CPU upgrade to 2.7 comes with 8mb L3 cache, how much does the stock 2.6 come with?

No, I don't think it is, because I've read it's on board via MacrumorsLive.

But the SSD should be replaceable right...riiight?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Something about this machine bugs me. Is 650M even remotely powerful to power games in that kind of resolution? Hell, is Intel 4000 powerful enough to proveide fully smooth OS and application UI in that resolution? The resolution is truly friggin huge. Far higher than 1080p which I think 650M would already struggle with in games. Is the best option there going to be running stuff pixel doubled?

Wrong. The storage is flash clips bolted directly to the motherboard.
Is it? It is not on MBA. It's a speciffic SSD kind in a stick format, that can be replaced.
*edit* I see now that SSD chips are indeed bolted, so that's that.

goodcow

They updated to the Intel Xeon E5.

No they're not.

3500-series "Bloomfield"
W3565 3.20 8 4.8 1066 130 4 8 Yes

3600/5600-series "Gulftown"
W3680 3.33 12 6.4 1333 130 6 12 Y
E5645 2.40 12 5.86 1333 80 6 12 Y
X5650 2.66 12 6.4 1333 95 6 12 Y
X5675 3.06 12 6.4 1333 95 6 12 Y

This is just the 2009 MacPro, with new EFI and two-year old processors. It doesn't even have Thunderbolt.

taoofjord

So will these be in the (physical) stores tomorrow morning to check out? How does this usually work with the same-day announced products?

Oppo

I'm pretty sure that the next iMac will feature a tilt-down design to switch between iOS and OS X, and a multitouch screen.

As the owner of a 2011 model, that's not thrilling to know, but I think it's true.

Nope...from a few pages back: Flash = SSD in this image unless this is in addition to a seperate drive (unlikely given the frame, and even if they had 8-16GB onboard they wouldn't need so many chips)

0snJ1.png

When combined with the 95Wh capacity I guess that explains why there is no 17". I guess MBA Retina isn't happening until they can get an IGZO display with dramatically reduced power consumption.

oatmeal

Banned
No they're not.

3500-series "Bloomfield"
W3565 3.20 8 4.8 1066 130 4 8 Yes

3600/5600-series "Gulftown"
W3680 3.33 12 6.4 1333 130 6 12 Y
E5645 2.40 12 5.86 1333 80 6 12 Y
X5650 2.66 12 6.4 1333 95 6 12 Y
X5675 3.06 12 6.4 1333 95 6 12 Y

This is just the 2009 MacPro, with new EFI and two-year old processors. It doesn't even have Thunderbolt.

Yep.

Really bizarre.

bananas

Banned
Something about this machine bugs me. Is 650M even remotely powerful to power games in that kind of resolution? Hell, is Intel 4000 powerful enough to proveide fully smooth OS and application UI in that resolution. The resolution is truly friggin huge. Far higher than 1080p which I think 650M would already struggle with in games. Is the best option there going to be running stuff pixel doubled?

Is it? It is not on MBA. It's a speciffic SSD kind that can be replaced.

I don't believe so. The MacBook Airs since the 2010 refresh have had it on the motherboard, like they do on the iPad and iPhone.

JayDub

Nope...from a few pages back: Flash = SSD in this image unless this is in addition to a seperate drive (unlikely given the frame, and even if they had 8-16GB onboard they wouldn't need so many chips)

0snJ1.png

When combined with the 95Wh capacity I guess that explains why there is no 17". I guess MBA Retina isn't happening until they can get an IGZO display with dramatically reduced power consumption.

In other news: Da-HAMN thats a beautiful interior.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wonder how hot this thing will get with the new fan design. All they mentioned was how silent it sounded, not how efficient it will be.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So no SSD swapping this time around either... Is this using IGZO display or not?

Arcteryx

Man, the ram really isn't user-serviceable? What in the fuck is going on?!!?!

That change only applies to the retina model right?

MercuryLS

Banned
I can't wait to play with this thing at the Apple store. It's going to be hard waiting for retina to make it's way to Apple's other portables.

They didn't update the iMac which is over a year old and barely updated the Mac Pro which is over 2 years old but they gave a major update to the Macbook Pro which was updated ~7 months ago.

Apple doesn't care about the hardcore anymore, now I know how Nintendo fans feel :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
These are some odd disappointing MacBook pros. I'm not too sure which one I want to get through work now.

You should be able to upgrade the ram in any machine. The ssd could be hit or miss, it all depends on how they went about including it into the machine.

I wouldn't mind the retina display one but I can't really justify it since I don't do any photography or anything. Simply using it for work could be seen as overkill. It also comes with its own ssd which can't be too great of news. Apple in the past has been hit and miss with those in machines, I would have preferred throwing my own in. Maybe a standard 15" mbp with the hdd taken out and a better model ssd placed in.

I might have to wait until we get demos in so I can see if the retina display is really all that pretty.

Ambitious

Doesn't iOS 5 run pretty bad on the 3GS? I wonder if iOS 6 is more optimized.

Yes, it's horrible. At least for me. Thought the jailbreak had been the cause, but a clean restore didn't help. After starting several apps, the whole system becomes terribly laggy.

No flyover or turn by turn directions for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. So you lose street view and other Google goodness, and you don't get the only new good features.

So no SSD swapping this time around either... Is this using IGZO display or not?

Maybe? Probably won't know until there's a breakdown by a repair site.

...But even if it is, first gen IGZO isn't an efficiency marvel that will make iPad 3s run cool at all times. It's at best an incremental upgrade over the previous display.

(The sheer number of exhaust vents under this thing tell me that it's going to be a bit balmy if you play any games)

MercuryLS

Banned
Man, the ram really isn't user-serviceable? What in the fuck is going on?!!?!

That change only applies to the retina model right?

Yes, only the retina model. User-replaceable anything is gone with the next-gen MBP. This is going to happen to all MBP's eventually, but I bet Apple can't make a cheap enough 13" retina model to make this feasible yet. In a year or two you will see this MBP replace all the current models. DVD-drive, user replaceable ram and HDD, ethernet, firewire are all on life support.

The market runs on emotion - a "super laptop/desktop replacement" and software do not excite the market from Apple, no matter how cool we think it is. They wanted a true Apple TV.
If they can't see the benefit of in-built turn-by-turn I wonder exactly what these fucking money-shovelers do for a living. Then again these are the same people who nearly drove the global economy off a cliff.

But yeah the market expectations for Apple are so insanely inflated that they will take a stock hit every time they don't re-invent the wheel.

You should be able to upgrade the ram in any machine. The ssd could be hit or miss, it all depends on how they went about including it into the machine.

The problem with going that route is you lose quite a bit of space OR have to go to a new formfactor with density problems (ie: do you want a thicker MBR or a MBR that maxes out at 4 or 8GB?) The route to smaller and cheaper is less flexibility, sadly

Top Bottom