• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Oppo

I have received wife-enabling confirmation.

come on Apple Store Canada

my last MB was an 867Mhz G4 12", which was replaced by an iPad 1. I AM DUE.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah, it's very worth it to try and get an educational discount.
It saves you a cool 200 bucks and you'll get 100$/40€ worth of app store credit, which is pretty rad.

From what I remember, it didn't even ask for a .edu email or something like that, just a button confirming that I was 18 and above, and currently studying. But i'm not sure how it works in the states.

taoofjord

How big of a jump would it be for me to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro with Retina $2200 model?

Current Macbook Pro is:

October 2008, 15-inch
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M 512GB

bananas

Banned
How big of a jump would it be for me to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro with Retina $2200 model?

Current Macbook Pro is:

October 2008, 15-inch
2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M 512GB

That would be a jump equivalent to leaping the Empire State Building.

No native thunderbolt or usb 3 ports for the Mac Pros is very disappointing. Looks like I'll have to opt for a Windows based workstation this time around as they've given no indication when they'll be upgrading the Mac Pros beyond a processor bump.

giga

Not up for me :(

Edit: Weird, up on my iPhone. Maybe it hates PC
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">
	/*snowLeopard url*/
	var slURL = "http://qthttp.apple.com.edgesuite.net/126pihbedvcoihbefvbhjkbvsefbg/sl_vod_mvp.m3u8";
	/* non-snowLeopard url*/
	var nonSlURL='http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/126pihbedvcoihbefvbhjkbvsefbg/12oibwefsvihbsdfvpihbsd6_check_back.jpg';
	/*Windows url*/
	var windowsURL = 'http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/126pihbedvcoihbefvbhjkbvsefbg/12oibwefsvihbsdfvpihbsd6_check_back.jpg';						  
	/*iphone url */
	var iphoneURL = "http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/126pihbedvcoihbefvbhjkbvsefbg/12oibwefsvihbsdfvpihbsd6_iphone_vod_ref.mov";
	/*ipad url*/
	var ipadURL= "http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/126pihbedvcoihbefvbhjkbvsefbg/12oibwefsvihbsdfvpihbsd6_ipad_vod_ref.mov";
They're still updating.

A 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display may have gotten me to upgrade today, but for now I'm going to sit and wait. Nothing wrong with my current MacBook Air, so I'll wait for the trickle down effect.

bionic77

I am getting the 13" Air with 8 gigs of ram. The only question I have is whether or not to get the 256 GB or 128 GB HD?

I have a 128GB HD on my MBP that I installed myself and it feels a little cramped when I have to deal with photos (right now I keep everything on an external HD but I hate that).

No native thunderbolt or usb 3 ports for the Mac Pros is very disappointing. Looks like I'll have to opt for a Windows based workstation this time around as they've given no indication when they'll be upgrading the Mac Pros beyond a processor bump.

The rumor I heard was that the real new Mac Pro line won't happen until they get a satisfactory desktop Thunderbolt-compatible Chipset. That seems to be the holdup now. I'm just glad the line isn't getting killed off.

twofold

New MBP is £1,588.80 incl. VAT with 3 years Applecare with the higher education discount. Also comes with a £70 discount. Apple will probably do their back to school promotion in a month or two too and throw in an ipod touch that can be sold on for another £100, bringing the total price down to about £1,400. Think I'll jump on that when the back to school promo starts up again.

Edit - Purchasing through Quidco.com gives another 6% cashback, too. That means the total cost will be £1,322, or thereabouts. If you know someone who is a student, beg them to buy one for you.

Edit 2 - Turns out it's £1,400. I could sell my current MBP for about £700-ish. I'm so tempted to pick this up. Dammit.

oatmeal

Banned
Show was great...

The lack of iMac and/or Mac Pro updates is really stupid. And I know it has a slight processor bump in the MP's, but that's not NEAR enough.

flyover

The rumor I heard was that the real new Mac Pro line won't happen until they get a satisfactory desktop Thunderbolt-compatible Chipset. That seems to be the holdup now. I'm just glad the line isn't getting killed off.

Yeah, I think that could be the obstacle for now.

Also, if they'd released a new Mac Pro, it might've been a little harder to make the claim that the new Retina MacBook Pro is the best computer they've ever made.

CrankyJay

Banned
Overall I thought a bunch of the iOS6 changes were great, even mindblowing, but I'm left feeling empty or wanting something more. Maybe a skin change or widgets or something. Maybe I'm crazy.

Karud

Really important to my interests:

I can't(!) replace the RAM on the MacBook Retina, right?

But I CAN replace the SSD?

Am I right?

I am getting the 13" Air with 8 gigs of ram. The only question I have is whether or not to get the 256 GB or 128 GB HD?

I have a 128GB HD on my MBP that I installed myself and it feels a little cramped when I have to deal with photos (right now I keep everything on an external HD but I hate that).

Damn, 8GB? Bionic the only thing I can think of that would need 8GB is to do on-the-fly video editing to make it look like the Steelers had an o-line last year.

Really important to my interests:

I can't(!) replace the RAM on the MacBook Retina, right?

But I CAN replace the SSD?

Am I right?

Looks like neither, there's a pic of the internals earlier in the thread, things are pretty damn compact in there.

MercuryLS

Banned
The next-gen MBP is like a template for future MBP. Just like the Air was brought out and over time killed the regular MB. It looks amazing, but 15" doesn't do it for me. I just hope that eventually when the retina is brought to the whole MBP line-up (13, 15, 17") that they also make a 11" one. My 1 year old 11" MBA will serve me just fine until that happens.

Top Bottom