• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Talon

You guys are missing the funny part. CNBC is saying that as a result of the Apple press conference, the entire market is down 1%.
CNBC or Fox Red Eye: Who's full of more shit?

I'm sure they're conflating the Dow with the market as well, which is such a ridiculous farce.

Kosmo

Banned
Anyone know if you can go up two OSX iterations (e.g. I'm on Snow Leopard - can I go right to Mountain Lion on my iMac)?

All I wanted to hear about was the iPhone 5. Boo this conference, Apple! At least they revealed iOS 6 but what I don't understand is if iOS 6 will have the same release date as the iPhone, why couldn't they discuss the phone? Really disappointed, when can we expect to hear of it now? Fall?

LCfiner

All I wanted to hear about was the iPhone 5. Boo this conference, Apple! At least they revealed iOS 6 but what I don't understand is if iOS 6 will have the same release date as the iPhone, why couldn't they discuss the phone? Really disappointed, when can we expect to hear on it now? Fall?

why would you expect this? it’s not realistic. they just released a phone in the fall.

your own expectations were unrealistic.

and they need to reveal the OS before the hardware since devs need time to make apps compatible with it.

All I wanted to hear about was the iPhone 5. Boo this conference, Apple! At least they revealed iOS 6 but what I don't understand is if iOS 6 will have the same release date as the iPhone, why couldn't they discuss the phone? Really disappointed, when can we expect to hear on it now? Fall?

Phones are now Fall announcements. iPad is elate winter/early spring , and laptops early summer.

bananas

Banned
All I wanted to hear about was the iPhone 5. Boo this conference, Apple! At least they revealed iOS 6 but what I don't understand is if iOS 6 will have the same release date as the iPhone, why couldn't they discuss the phone? Really disappointed, when can we expect to hear of it now? Fall?

Your own fault for that one. It was obvious going in that there wouldn't be a phone announcement. They announce they OS earlier (as they have always done) to give developers time to update their apps.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hmmm I'm looking at reviews of the graphics card used in the new MBP and I'm a bit bummed out. Seems somewhat underwhelming in terms of performance for the price of the machine. I know this is typical of apple laptops, but I was hoping for better.

Did you have the gift card in the cart too? I got rid of it and it went through.
Quoting again cos this worked for me. lol it brought down the price too. thanks. I thought it was free. anyway nevermind, hopefully wont be too long.

6UH3q.jpg

Now all I need is a thunderbolt external..

edit: thats not final price thanks to VAT, came to something like 2093 euro.

Hmmm I'm looking at reviews of the graphics card used in the new MBP and I'm a bit bummed out. Seems somewhat underwhelming in terms of performance for the price of the machine. I know this is typical of apple laptops, but I was hoping for better.

If they put a beefier gpu in there, the machine would melt..

There's a reason most machines with high-end mobile gpus are over an inch thick.

It's simply something that apple isn't interested in doing.

Even now with a bit time to think it over I really don't understand why they've removed certain ports (ethernet) in favour of making it thinner. Were people really clamouring for the macbook pro to be thinner? I understand it for macbook air's (if it's possible to make it thinner at this stage), iphones and ipads but not for the fairly powerful macbook pro.

twofold

UK folks. It costs the same price to fly to Thailand, buy a new MBP out there and fly back as it does to buy the computer from the Apple store here. I'm tempted to book a flight to Thailand for later this year. Nice holiday and laptop combo!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
UK folks. It costs the same price to fly to Thailand, buy a new MBP out there and fly back as it does to buy the computer from the Apple store here. I'm tempted to book a flight to Thailand for later this year. Nice holiday and laptop combo!

Hahaha. I love grey market importation.

flyover

Just got iOS6. The maps are slick. And Do Not Disturb is great. Already have it automatically scheduled for every night. The Passbook app is included, but there's not really anything to do with it yet.

Even now with a bit time to think it over I really don't understand why they've removed certain ports (ethernet) in favour of making it thinner. Were people really clamouring for the macbook pro to be thinner? I understand it for macbook air's (if it's possible to make it thinner at this stage), iphones and ipads but not for the fairly powerful macbook pro.
You are hilariously stubborn over this ethernet port.

This isn't the product for you. They still have their old shit for sale!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

The retina display mbp is def something you don't want to get if you intend to play games or even boot camp for games. I don't think it's going to work well at all.

The new one seems to be for designers or home users who do nothing but tweet and surf gaf that want a high end screen.

I'm slowly leading towards the high end mbp with no retina. I can throw in my own ram for cheaper and a better ssd while not having to worry about the mediocre gpu trying ot run shit at a crazy resolution. Games should work so so if I decide to even play any on them.

Come on 20% discount!

I'm shocked there's not new iMacs. Old man was waiting for one, maybe he will be crazy enough to go a new mac pro :/

flyover

Though there are people who do still need an Ethernet port (like you), they figure it's a small percentage of users -- and that, yes, more people would prefer a thinner machine than an Ethernet port.

Oppo

The retina display mbp is def something you don't want to get if you intend to play games or even boot camp for games. I don't think it's going to work well at all.

The new one seems to be for designers or home users who do nothing but tweet and surf gaf that want a high end screen.

You could always just bump down the resolution of the game; its not like you are stuck at 2880x1800.

And as a web designer, your remark is somewhat irksome. :) More rez is always, always better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really like the new retina MacBook Pro but my one concern is that the screen might strain the GT650M for native resolution video games but I suppose we'll see how that plays out after the first journalist and user reviews.

Everything else was incredible. Apple is untouchable right now.
Yeah, I guess no single GPU is really good enough for that resolution really. I wonder if 1080p upscaled would look bad on that screen. Probably won't.

Top Bottom