• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

MrMephistoX

The retina display mbp is def something you don't want to get if you intend to play games or even boot camp for games. I don't think it's going to work well at all.

The new one seems to be for designers or home users who do nothing but tweet and surf gaf that want a high end screen.

I'm slowly leading towards the high end mbp with no retina. I can throw in my own ram for cheaper and a better ssd while not having to worry about the mediocre gpu trying ot run shit at a crazy resolution. Games should work so so if I decide to even play any on them.

Come on 20% discount!

I'm shocked there's not new iMacs. Old man was waiting for one, maybe he will be crazy enough to go a new mac pro :/

Depends on how picky you are about framerates. My 2011 iMac runs Diablo 3 well enough for me even in OS X at a stable 30 fps and 1080p. Are the macbooks really that much worse for gaming?

twofold

Hahaha. I love grey market importation.

Yeah. It's awesome!

Other potential places to go - Singapore, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur.

I think Singapore is probably the best best. Flights are cheap and you get a guaranteed English keyboard (Thai stores often have to order them in which can take a few days). Singapore has great links to everywhere in Asia, too. Could go to Bali for a while!

Alchemy

Retina MacBook Pro is going to have a really hard time with native res gaming. Gaming performance dives like crazy the more pixels you add. If anything the retina screens just seem like a nice bonus for graphic designers.

You are hilariously stubborn over this ethernet port.

This isn't the product for you. They still have their old shit for sale!
Then Apple don't currently sell anything that is for me. Their Mac Pro towers are dog shit and they're shifting all other lines to appeal to a broader consumer base (whilst still emphasising video editing in their conferences). That attitude extends to their redevelopment of FCPX which continues the aesthetically pleasing but functionally neutered approach of their hardware lines.

Just saw that Turn by Turn navigation does not work on iPhone 4. Guess I have more incentive to upgrade now.

Then Apple don't currently sell anything that is for me. Their Mac Pro towers are dog shit and they're shifting all other lines to appeal to a broader consumer base (whilst still emphasising video editing in their conferences). That attitude extends to their redevelopment of FCPX which continues the aesthetically pleasing but functionally neutered approach of their hardware lines.

Or just use the Thunderbolt adapter for ethernet.

MrMephistoX

I wish the process of selling older macbook/buying newer one was easier.

:(

You find it difficult? I usually just post a craigslist ad and make sure to meet in a nice Starbucks in the suburbs so I don't have to worry about getting mugged ;)

Edit: I live in Oregon so your crime-rate mileage may vary.

All right.

You have legitimate complaints, but you have niche requirements. Deal with it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Put in the zip code, click any random school nearby...profit.

They don't ask for ID numbers.
Holy. Crap. It seems to be true. For Canada too. That makes the machine $2030 + tax in Canada.

All right.

You have legitimate complaints, but you have niche requirements. Deal with it?
FCP complaint is valid/not niche. But it's not like hardware is guilty for that, and that there are no other software options.

Holy Schnikers!

The map app is pretty cool. Your contact pin sheet when an address is present will show a rotating map view of your contacts address with a distance listing of how far it is from you.

Unfortunately not updated from inside the iPad contact app itself. Probalby not the iPhone either but my other dev machine for my iPhone is at home.

Couple of other things (just in looking super quick)

Found controls for DHD with a schedule, allowing specific contacts to make it through, and the repeated calls option as well.
New Privacy control setting that gives you consolidated access over location services, contacts, calendars, reminders, & photos. Per application control possibility over all of those.
Facebook setting & integration is already in the beta (per app control)
Guided Access is located in the accessibility section, which as others have said, I think is missing the functionality this is going to support for toddlers/young kids...

Not reading 32 pages - any news on Macbook Airs?

LKBAP gave a solid answer but if you want real statistimagic info:

Spec upgrades:
RAM: Now 4-8GB (previously 2-4GB)
SSD: Now up to 512GB on either size
Ivy Bridge chipset (HD4000) and newer CPUs to match
USB2 is now USB3 on both ports
Magsafe 2
As with all of the other products shown today you get a free upgrade to Mountain Lion

Futureman

wow. The whole front page of the Verge from top to bottom are articles on WWDC. Never seen that (excluding the little side boxes for features and stuff).

Dennis

Banned
LKBAP gave a solid answer but if you want real statistimagic info:

Spec upgrades:
RAM: Now 4-8GB (previously 2-4GB)
SSD: Now up to 512GB on either size
Ivy Bridge chipset (HD4000) and newer CPUs to match
USB2 is now USB3 on both ports
Magsafe 2
As with all of the other products shown today you get a free upgrade to Mountain Lion

Thank you.

Meier

Apple are so fucking slimy with the way they limit certain aspects of an OS level upgrade and force upgrading, lol. As if Siri or Turn-by-turn couldn't run on an iPhone 4.

At least I can still turn off 3G (for now?)!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Retina MacBook Pro is going to have a really hard time with native res gaming. Gaming performance dives like crazy the more pixels you add. If anything the retina screens just seem like a nice bonus for graphic designers.
It wont be native res gaming. the pixel bump is for reading and flat graphics.

Apple are so fucking slimy with the way they limit stuff and force upgrading, lol. As if Siri or Turn-by-turn couldn't run on an iPhone 4.
Head on over to Android. You would be lucky if your year old device ever gets an OS update.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Holy Schnikers!

The map app is pretty cool. Your contact pin sheet when an address is present will show a rotating map view of your contacts address with a distance listing of how far it is from you.

Unfortunately not updated from inside the iPad contact app itself. Probalby not the iPhone either but my other dev machine for my iPhone is at home.

Couple of other things (just in looking super quick)

No controls over DHD like in between these hours...
New Privacy control setting that gives you consolidated access over location services, contacts, calendars, reminders, & photos. Per application control possibility over all of those.
Facebook setting & integration is already in the beta (per app control)
Guided Access is located in the accessibility section, which as others have said, I think is missing the functionality this is going to support for toddlers/young kids...

Screenshots of maps would be nice.

why would you expect this? it’s not realistic. they just released a phone in the fall.

your own expectations were unrealistic.

and they need to reveal the OS before the hardware since devs need time to make apps compatible with it.

Announcing a product on this scale 3 months in advance isn't realistic? Just in the fall? That was 8 months ago in a 12 month cycle. You make it sound like the iPhone 4s just came out. I understand why the OS was announced, just not why the phone wasn't.

twofold

Apple are so fucking slimy with the way they limit certain aspects of an OS level upgrade and force upgrading, lol. As if Siri or Turn-by-turn couldn't run on an iPhone 4.

At least I can still turn off 3G (for now?)!

Yeah. It's pretty bullshit. I'm sure the jailbreak community will get it working, though!

Announcing a product on this scale 3 months in advance isn't realistic? Just in the fall? That was 8 months ago in a 12 month cycle. You make it sound like the iPhone 4s just came out. I understand why the OS was announced, just not why the phone wasn't.

Because apple always follows a schedule like this.

SeanR1221

Yes that's not how Apple operates. It's not realistic.

Only stupid idiots would ever announce an updated hardware product months before it's ready. What good reason is there to ever do this? Apple only does this with brand new products, like the iPhone 1.

Jubern

Serious question: when I buy a Macbook in a store, can I ask for it to have a specific kind of keyboard?

Like I said, considering the 250€ difference I might buy a Macbook Air first thing when I hit Japan in September, but I can't imagine typing in French without a classic AZERTY keyboard.

LCfiner

well.. then you weren’t paying attention in previous years. OS updates were always announced months before phone updates. When Apple let the iPhone 4 out there for over a year, they ended up shifting the OS announcement to WWDC and then the phone came in the fall.

there was basically zero percent chance they were gonna cut short the 4S lifespan to announce a new phone today.

I’m not saying that everybody needs to follow this stuff as closely as nerds like me. But I have you the answer and it follows Apple’s patterns. You should be able to understand it now.

Alchemy

In for an 11 inch MBA. Only option I bumped was the processor up to an i7. Not to spend the rest of the week refreshing my order status page.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yeah, not happening.

iboJFH89NiNBXp.png

Hoo-doo

Banned
I honestly wouldn't bother with sites like that or Ebay. Craigslist is full of idiots who don't know any better. I sold my 2008 model MBP when the iPad came out for $900.

Lol indeed. I sold my 2009 MBP in 2011 for €850, when I bought it new for €1100. Some people just don't care about new, and are just out to make a cheap purchase on a decent machine.

On my end though, I spent €250 over two years while owning a fucking incredible laptop. That's worth it ten times over. Mac resale value is no joke.

Top Bottom