• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Lol indeed. I sold my 2009 MBP in 2011 for €850, when I bought it new for €1100. Some people just don't care about new, and are just out to make a cheap purchase on a decent machine.

On my end though, I spent €250 over two years while owning a fucking incredible laptop. That's worth it ten times over. Mac resale value is no joke.

Yup. One great thing about owning the mac you can always get money back out of it.

Just bought the entry level MBP w Retina. Left it completely stock. It's my first Mac and I'm quite excited.

Get ready to experience the best computer of your life my man.

I'm really tempted to buy this thing with 8GB. I just don't even know what I'd use 16GB for, OSX is freakishly efficient and speedy when it has an SSD. Even with 2-4GB it's good for all but most demanding video editing tasks, IMO.

For only $180 more to get 8gb more of Ram was just too good a deal for me.

Yep.

It would take a LONG time for me to even consider something along the $500 range. I don't care how established the price-age ratio is, that is ridiculous. I hope no one fully supports this websites pricing system.

A guy called me about my 2008 Macbook Pro on craigslist and said "According to this your computer is worth around $700 and your listing it for $1100. Would you drop the price?" Me: "No, its got 6gb of aftermarket ram" Him: "Oh okay, well its a really good price for the ram Ill take it."

Me: 0_o

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Well my MacBook Air just got here from UPS, slapped a return label on it and shipped that back to Amazon. Just ordered one from Apple.

Who's the biggest moron today? Ask no more.

Tobor

Well my MacBook Air just got here from UPS, slapped a return label on it and shipped that back to Amazon. Just ordered one from Apple.

Who's the biggest moron today? Ask no more.

Dont feel too bad. At least you figured it out in time to return it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For only $180 more to get 8gb more of Ram was just too good a deal for me.
And I agree - it is a good deal, but the frugal part of me keeps bugging me asking whether I'll ever make any use of it, or ever notice the difference, lol.

Thanks, I really can't wait. I can't see any reason I needed to bump to 16 gb of ram. Was it a mistake not doing so?
I've been using various newer mac machines with SSD and 4GB of RAM and I honestly can think of maybe one or two times I felt cramped when working on them. I think that with 8, unless you do some heavy video work, you'll probably never know the difference. Even if you run windows on it, I think games rarely if ever benefit with more than 8GB (and you won't be able to max out games on this thing for other reasons anyway)

And I agree - it is a good deal, but the frugal part of me keeps bugging me asking whether I'll ever make any use of it, or ever notice the difference, lol.

I was using 6gb of ram on my 2008 and it handled everything really well so I imagine jumping to 16gb is just overkill. Your going to be fine with 8.

Thanks, I really can't wait. I can't see any reason I needed to bump to 16 gb of ram. Was it a mistake not doing so?

No man. Even with 8 that thing is a beast. I have a shopping disorder with stuff like this.

mf.luder

Man, with the education discount on the entry level MBP Retina, it comes out to $2029. Plus $100 in the App Store. That's almost too good to make an excuse for.

I've been using various newer mac machines with SSD and 4GB of RAM and I honestly can think of maybe one or two times I felt cramped when working on them. I think that with 8, unless you do some heavy video work, you'll probably never know the difference. Even if you run windows on it, I think games rarely if ever benefit with more than 8GB.

The 256 gb SSD that I got in the base model is probably a bit small to run Boot Camp, isn't it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wait...13 inch has no retina, and 15 inch starts at 2199? Jesus christ.
Your best bet for getting a cheaper retina mac laptop is to wait until they update Airs. This thing is new and novel, and they know they can sell it for lot.

The 256 gb SSD that I got in the base model is probably a bit small to run Boot Camp, isn't it?
Depends on how many games you want to install really. You can just dedicate 64GB for Windows and install few games there without an issue. Bootcamp is easy to add/remove so you can experiment.

VPhys

Damn that retina display actually has higher resolution than my 24 inch HP IPS lcd. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to Mac.

That display would not scale text up like the new iPad will it? I want as much screen real estate as possible.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Your best bet for getting a retina mac laptop is to wait until they update Airs. This thing is new and novel, and they know they can sell it for lot.

Meh,

I like gaming, and I prefer doing design work on desktops. My dream setup would be a macbook pro- cinema display setup, but it looks like I just might wait for an iMac update. I am currently using an i3 processor iMac from 2011. Not the best setup for gaming but these screens....so beautiful. I could never switch back to pc. nope.

How does Apple prevent people from not getting the education discounts? Seems like everyone's doing it. I've been out of school for awhile T-T

Your best bet for getting a retina mac laptop is to wait until they update Airs. This thing is new and novel, and they know they can sell it for lot.

Depends on how many games you want to install really. You can just dedicate 64GB for Windows and install few games there without an issue. Bootcamp is easy to add/remove so you can experiment.

Not at all if you don't store media on it, to be honest.

I have a 256GB SSD Air, and I've got 185GB of Blu Ray rips on it.

I was running Bootcamp on 60gb off my old 256gb. As long as you don't have a insane music collection you want to move to your machine you should be good.

Thanks for the responses. I have maybe a 25-30 gb music collection, but other than that not too much media I'd store on it. If I had to, I would just move my music to an external drive.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How does Apple prevent people from not getting the education discounts? Seems like everyone's doing it. I've been out of school for awhile T-T
My guess is they simply don't care. They want that sale, 5% of savvy internet people find a way to get it cheaper, they are the precisely kind of customer apple wants the most - the kind that will buy another $2000 item form them a year or two from now.

zychi

Banned
Is the new retina user-upgradeable? Like if it was bought with 8gigs of ram, would a user be able to put 16? The underside picture tells me no, but I want to make sure.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damn that retina display actually has higher resolution than my 24 inch HP IPS lcd. I'm seriously thinking about switching over to Mac.

That display would not scale text up like the new iPad will it? I want as much screen real estate as possible.
I believe it works exactly as iPad. That resolution would provide for some really small UI elements otherwise on a 15" screen. Funny thing is, the UI elements would be physically bigger than on a 13" air, as the "baseline" resolution is the same 1440x900, but on a 15" screen.

$180 is very expensive for 8GB RAM. You can buy 8GB at retail for less than $50.
Well... RAM in this kind of form factor. It's kind of understandable I guess as they need to prepare a separate motherboards for it.

Is the new retina user-upgradeable? Like if it was bought with 8gigs of ram, would a user be able to put 16? The underside picture tells me no, but I want to make sure.
Nothing seems upgradeable. I'd be happy if battery can be replaced when it dies for good.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
With a Cinema Display or Thunder Bolt Display, can you easily dock the laptops so that they don't need to be open at all? Just connecting it to the display and using a keyboard and mouse synced to it?

Karud

The German Apple Store is delaying the Small Retina to 7-10 days until shipping.
Before it was 5-7 days. Does anyone get it faster?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was just looking over this page, and yes, it does seem like it's 1440x900 baseline resolution with each element using 2x more pixels than before, basically. You gain no real estate, but gain clarity, just like iPad.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance/

photography_screen.jpg

video_screen1.jpg

design_screen.jpg

Borman

So incredibly disappointed in the Mac Pro update (The desktop, people, not the laptop). No thunderbolt, no USB 3.0, just a minor processor bump. Not worth it at all. I was looking to upgrade from my 2006 Mac Pro, but I guess not.

Okay I'm going to sell my MBA and get the new one. What's a fair price for mine? It's from the last generation but one, 11" 1.4ghz, 2gb RAM, 64gb SSD. Any ideas?

Midas

The German Apple Store is delaying the Small Retina to 7-10 days until shipping.
Before it was 5-7 days. Does anyone get it faster?

My order is listed as: "Färdig att skickas: 5 - 7 business days Levereras 29 Jun, 2012 - 03 Jul, 2012".

Diagol

Just bought the 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, 768 GB Flash storage retina one! I've been saving money for the past year for it, because there were rumors floating around for a redesign.

It's my first-ever Mac! I'm pretty stoked about it! :D

Top Bottom