• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
now that they're getting rid of the pinstripes and high-gloss from iOS (just like in OSX), i'm hoping they eventually turn their attention to the stock icons and their extreme shine.

and the linen still looks bad even if its partially transparent and with a cover overlay on it.

"Guys, please buy the iPhone 4S even though we already told you the next iPhone is coming out. Competitors, check out what we're working on!"

I don't understand the rest of the insults you dropped in there. You're really upset that everyone seems to understand how revealing products works except for you.

I can tell you I'd be pretty pissed off if I bought the 4S and three months later the next version came out. The average consumer doesn't know when the next iteration is coming out, you have to advertise it. Or, you can look at it as anyone waiting this long for the 4S is trying to save money so won't get the 5 anyway. Unless the price didn't drop, in which case it wouldn't matter if they held off for the 5, apple will get the same money regardless.

The only thing that could be construed as an insult was the fanboy comment and it was due to your tone and chose in words. Was it necessary to say only stupid idiots would bring it out a few months in advance? Your tone would suggest that you're the only one upset here. I was simply asking why they didn't reveal the phone at this conference and stating my disappointment that it wasn't.

Still waiting for them to post the wwdc video.

It still says check back soon on my PC, but it plays fine on my iPad so if you have an iPad you could try that.

I'm still hoping they updated iCloud mail to push mail as read or deleted across all devices and just didnt talk about it in the conference. if anyone who tries the beta and uses iCloud mail could you get back to us on that?

Tobor

I can tell you I'd be pretty pissed off if I bought the 4S and three months later the next version came out. The average consumer doesn't know when the next iteration is coming out, you have to advertise it. Or, you can look at it as anyone waiting this long for the 4S is trying to save money so won't get the 5 anyway. Unless the price didn't drop, in which case it wouldn't matter if they held off for the 5, apple will get the same money regardless.

The only thing that could be construed as an insult was the fanboy comment and it was due to your tone and chose in words. Was it necessary to say only stupid idiots would bring it out a few months in advance? Your tone would suggest that you're the only one upset here. I was simply asking why they didn't reveal the phone at this conference and stating my disappointment that it wasn't.

They will announce the phone 2-3 weeks before release. That's the way it's always done.

Announcing months in advance is dangerous. You run the risk of getting stuck with supply of your old product.

Google "Osborne Effect".

Anyone know the names of the apps that were featured in the video at the beginning of the conference? looks like some i'd like to check out but i didnt catch the names of them

So do we know if AirPlay mirroring through apple tv on the MacBooks is gonna be for everything? If so this thing will be an HTPC beast

Also is that a new feature for mountain lion only?

MrMephistoX

Lol I'm so torn, do I sell my 2011 iMac in order to get the retina display MBP or keep it and just go with an air or 13 inch MBP or Air for school? Gaming performance is actually decent enough for me on the iMac with Diablo 3 so I'm a little hesitant about giving up performance.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So do we know if AirPlay mirroring through apple tv on the MacBooks is gonna be for everything? If so this thing will be an HTPC beast

Also is that a new feature for mountain lion only?

Yes. Mountain Lion-only. http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html#airplay

AirPlay Mirroring

Wireless mirroring
Send what’s on your Mac screen to an HDTV wirelessly with Apple TV. Mirroring is great for classrooms, conference rooms, and your living room.

High definition
AirPlay Mirroring sends a video stream automatically optimized for the HD capabilities of your Mac and Apple TV. It supports up to 1080p HD.

Automatic detection
When a Mac with Mountain Lion detects an Apple TV on the same network, the AirPlay Mirroring menu item appears in the menu bar.

Menu item
To wirelessly mirror your Mac to your HDTV, click the AirPlay Mirroring menu item and choose your Apple TV. Use the menu to select a different Apple TV on your network and set resolution matching.

Resolution matching
AirPlay Mirroring scales the contents of your Mac desktop to fit on your HDTV. For a sharper image, choose to set the resolution of your desktop to best match that of your Apple TV.

Seamless integration with iTunes
When you play movies or TV shows with iTunes on your Mac, AirPlay Mirroring will automatically switch to a full-screen AirPlay experience on your HDTV.

Encrypted streaming
AirPlay Mirroring uses encryption to securely send what’s on your Mac to your Apple TV.

Audio support
With AirPlay Mirroring, audio from your Mac is wirelessly sent to your Apple TV. You can use this feature independent of AirPlay Mirroring by selecting your Apple TV in the Sound pane of System Preferences.

High performance
AirPlay Mirroring takes advantage of advanced hardware video encoding to deliver high-definition mirroring efficiently and optimize processor use.

scorcho

Sorry if this has been discussed, but is it known whether you can upgrade the RAM and SSD like in prior MBP models?

:D

Hopefully in a few years the stalking will commence

someone mentioned the RAM is soldered on. if it's like the Air you should be able to upgrade the SSD using specific mini-SATA sticks that cost far higher than those in a traditional 2.5" enclosure.

someone mentioned the RAM is soldered on. if it's like the Air you should be able to upgrade the SSD using specific mini-SATA sticks that cost far higher than those in a traditional 2.5" enclosure.

There are pics in the thread. SSD/RAM are soldered on and either way are in such a compact format it wouldn't really fit with any existing stick format

Raistlin

With the Retina MBP? No, doesn't look like it...at least not easily/cheaply.
Wow ... that blows pretty bad.

Apple's RAM and SSD pricing structure is pretty craptacular. Losing that option is going to piss off some people :\

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how does Apple verify an education discount?

I was curious so I went under an education store on their site, and I have gotten to the checkout point and there is nothing asking for a university ID or anything.

I did log in with my Apple ID that at one time I probably used for an education discount when I was at college, so maybe that's why?

scorcho

There are pics in the thread. SSD/RAM are soldered on and either way are in such a compact format it wouldn't really fit with any existing stick format

RAM i expected, but are you sure it's not the same mini-SATA as in the Air? i'll have to dig back and take a look. you may be right.

Talon

The RAM and HD are definitely soldered on for the Retina MBPs, which makes sense. They only had so much space.

Alchemy

Can you AirPlay from a Mac to a Mac? I have a Mac Mini already that I'm using as a HTPC and it might be fun to just mess around with Mac to Mac mirroring... I'll think of a useful application for this later.

Enco

Quoting for new page, still hoping for some suggestions.

Should I just primary a pro?
Personally I couldn't do it.

A desktop with a big screen is by far the best option for a primary computer in my opinion.

As great as the new Pro is, it's too small to be my main computer. Just get it for a sweet side kick.

asdad123

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how does Apple verify an education discount?

I was curious so I went under an education store on their site, and I have gotten to the checkout point and there is nothing asking for a university ID or anything.

I did log in with my Apple ID that at one time I probably used for an education discount when I was at college, so maybe that's why?

Online? Absolutely nothing.

Instore, they ask for a student ID for proof.

My local apple store said they'll have stock of the retina pros tomorrow morning. Ill be there first thing hopefully picking one up.

If I can't pick one up in stores by friday, Ill just order it online.

scorcho

The RAM and HD are definitely soldered on for the Retina MBPs, which makes sense. They only had so much space.

holy crap. they added vents to the bottom of the device! FINALLY! i'm actually excited over this. Ives finally realized that a quad core running at 95C at full load might be a sign for better airflow inside the chassis.

this is tipping me even more to upgrading my 2011 15" MBP. i wonder what i can get for it. 8GB of RAM, 120GB SSD, base model. arg. the hassle of selling on Craigslist, though :/

Screen Sharing and AirPlay mirroring are essentially using the same services - a low-level graphic mirror driver to directly get screen updates and video compression. the only difference is that SS doesn't use H264 as far as i remember, while AirPlay uses only that . trying it out over your wifi network at set HDTV resolutions (720p or 1080p) should approximate what you'll see in ML. you can also buy a piece of software (AirServer) for cheap that offers the exact same functionality. as of the last preview i read on Anandtech, Airplay Mirroring was not using any of the Quicksync encoding pipelines, which kinda sucks.

Thinking about picking up a new 13' MBA. I would really like that 256GB hard drive but man, that's quite a price jump for just a 128GB size increase. The money would probably be much better spent on a 64GB USB stick or 2.

giga

RAM and flash storage are just like the air. Ram is soldered on the logic board and the flash storage is connected via a msata-like connector.

ZvUDS.png

Air:

design_power1_20101020.jpg

Bursh

Just bought a 15" Retina. My 2008 Macbook has been showing it's age for a long time and I know I wanted a new computer but man, it was still stressful clicking that mouse and throwing Apple all that cash.

$400 bucks off for saying I was in school made it all a little easier though.

scorcho

Thanks Giga. SSD looks removable. there's a screw on the bottom of the stick and the connector up top looks the same as mini-SATA.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you AirPlay from a Mac to a Mac? I have a Mac Mini already that I'm using as a HTPC and it might be fun to just mess around with Mac to Mac mirroring... I'll think of a useful application for this later.

You cagey an app called air server that lets you AirPlay to a mac - I have it installed on my mac mini. When mountain lion comes out, you could in theory use that to AirPlay one mac to another.

I use AirPlay to send videos from plex on my iPad to apple tv, but it's not ideal as its using wifi and I can't use the iPad while it's streaming. AirPlay in mountain lion would be cool as then my mac mini could AirPlay from the lounge to my apple TV in the spare room. Possibly using the iPad as a remote control.

Just bought a 15" Retina. My 2008 Macbook has been showing it's age for a long time and I know I wanted a new computer but man, it was still stressful clicking that mouse and throwing Apple all that cash.

$400 bucks off for saying I was in school made it all a little easier though.

how do you get $400 off? it says $200 off for me

Top Bottom