• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

Just got my Thunderbolt Software Update alert an hour ago. Doesn't really mean anything to me on my 27" Thunderbolt iMac, (since I have all the ports,) but it enables the Thunderbolt adapters Apple announced today.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that new Macbook Pro with a pole yet. Too early for me to not have a built in optical drive & no audio input. And untested territory.

And to be honest, i'm going a bit dark on Apple. This Macbook Pro I got last year (2.3 quad core i7) is really flakey. You'd think by this late in it's life it'd be solid, but it's probably the flakiest Mac i've had to date, which is no good. We'll see where this all takes us, but yeah...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
You think it will produce a lot of heat? I was looking forward to something a lot cooler than my MBP from '06. ;_;

it's a huge battery for a power hungry device. i'd expect it to get warm, but we won't know until it's reviewed. to look at the upgrade from the iPad 2 -> iPad 3, the device also got a huge ass battery to match the Retina screen and that device definitely is warmer to touch in use and while charging.

Xcellere

Apple.... come over here....

You see that 23 inch Cinema Display sitting on my desk? Put a retina display in that, and I will blow whoever needs to be blown.

If you want me to go all necrophiliac on Steve Jobs' deceased manhood, consider it done. I need a Retina Cinema Display in my life, and I will go to sexual extremes known only to Elton John to see this happen.

Your move.

it's a huge battery for a power hungry device. i'd expect it to get warm, but we won't know until it's reviewed. to look at the upgrade from the iPad 2 -> iPad 3, the device also got a huge ass battery to match the Retina screen and that device definitely is warmer to touch in use and while charging.

I guess I was associating the heat from my current MBP to the spinning parts (HDD/CD, etc). Ie the battery getting very hot to power those, or those themselves causing a lot of heat.

Apple.... come over here....

You see that 23 inch Cinema Display sitting on my desk? Put a retina display in that, and I will blow whoever needs to be blown.

If you want me to go all necrophiliac on Steve Jobs' deceased manhood, consider it done. I need a Retina Cinema Display in my life, and I will go to sexual extremes known only to Elton John to see this happen.

Your move.

post of the day!!

VPhys

I believe it works exactly as iPad. That resolution would provide for some really small UI elements otherwise on a 15" screen. Funny thing is, the UI elements would be physically bigger than on a 13" air, as the "baseline" resolution is the same 1440x900, but on a 15" screen.

I was just looking over this page, and yes, it does seem like it's 1440x900 baseline resolution with each element using 2x more pixels than before, basically. You gain no real estate, but gain clarity, just like iPad.

]

That's just for the OS right? But in applications like Photoshop and Safari I get the full resolution correct?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I guess I was associating the heat from my current MBP to the spinning parts (HDD/CD, etc). Ie the battery getting very hot to power those, or those themselves causing a lot of heat.

the SSD won't generate heat. but the processor and GPU likely have higher thermal envelopes than your current MBP. add to that the heat generated by the battery and yeah, this might be warmer? we won't know till later. it really depends on what you'll be using the machine for.

Tabris

I AM SO CONFUSED WHAT TO BUY!

I am replacing my Windows desktop PC (and lack of current laptop) and switching to Mac. I was planning to buy a Macbook Air + 27" Thunderbolt Display. Now I am really tempted to buy that new Macbook Pro but I don't know how much use I'll get out of the retina display since 80% of the time it will be closed hooked up to the cinema display.

the SSD won't generate heat. but the processor and GPU likely have higher thermal envelopes than your current MBP. add to that the heat generated by the battery and yeah, this might be warmer? we won't know till later. it really depends on what you'll be using the machine for.

My current one is awful. It's impossible to keep near your body without literally burning you (if you keep it in contact with skin) or just having a heatstroke from the heat coming through your clothes.

JackEtc

So, as you can see by the screen cap in my last post, the site says it'll ship in 7-10 business days (and then arrive in 2-3 as I payed the extra $15 bucks for 2-3 day shipping).

I thought Apple said they were shipping out today, but maybe there's been so many ordered that they're backed up so they tell me 7-10 days. I'm kinda bummed by that.

Does Apple stuff usually ship out faster than the estimate you're given? Hoping that they do, as I don't wanna wait two weeks.
Anyone have experience here?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
That's just for the OS right? But in applications like Photoshop and Safari I get the full resolution correct?

Yes, you can.

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-11%20at%203.59.52%20PM.png

My current one is awful. It's impossible to keep near your body without literally burning you (if you keep it in contact with skin) or just having a heatstroke from the heat coming through your clothes.

This is one of the problems I've always had with MacBooks. I like to rest my laptop on my leg and MacBooks have always been much hotter than the average laptop. It becomes a usability issue. New MacBook Pro sure does look nice though.

My girlfriend wants a Macbook Air and between the new ones, which are only a modest bump, and a refurb, I have no idea which way to go... Hmm.

I expect much the same experience with the MBR. Look at the big exhaust ports on the bottom, the slimmer profile...I mean, even the MBA gets pretty heated when gaming. I can't imagine this laptop is something you'd want to sit anywhere but on a table or countertop unless you're simply web browsing.

rozay

Banned
This is one of the problems I've always had with MacBooks. I like to rest my laptop on my leg and MacBooks have always been much hotter than the average laptop. It becomes a usability issue. New MacBook Pro sure does look nice though.
there are air vents on the underside of the back 3 sides, this is not something you want on your lap

mr stroke

I AM SO CONFUSED WHAT TO BUY!

I am replacing my Windows desktop PC (and lack of current laptop) and switching to Mac. I was planning to buy a Macbook Air + 27" Thunderbolt Display. Now I am really tempted to buy that new Macbook Pro but I don't know how much use I'll get out of the retina display since 80% of the time it will be closed hooked up to the cinema display.

If you are using your Macbook to power that 27 Display 80% of the time I would suggest the more powerful 15 Macbook Pro.

I currently use my 2011 13 Macbook Pro to power a 27 Apple display and the Intel 3000HD doesn't cut it when trying to run the display @2560x1440. Performance is manageable but slow compared to my Gaming PC hooked up to the same display.

(though I don't know how much of a boost the new Air w/HD4000 is vs old the HD3000, could be much better?)

zychi

Banned
My girlfriend wants a Macbook Air and between the new ones, which are only a modest bump, and a refurb, I have no idea which way to go... Hmm.
I think im going used last gen via amazon. 30 day return and ill just sell it when the 13 inch air/mbp retina is released

Tabris

If you are using your Macbook to power that 27 Display 80% of the time I would suggest the more powerful 15 Macbook Pro.

I currently use my 2011 13 Macbook Pro to power a 27 Apple display and the Intel 3000HD doesn't cut it when trying to run the display @2560x1440. Performance is manageable but slow compared to my Gaming PC hooked up to the same display.

(though I don't know how much of a boost the new Air w/HD4000 is vs old the HD3000, could be much better?)

Can you please elaborate on performance? As I won't be gaming, just general use (movies, pictures, music, browsing, apps, facetime, office, etc)

i am frozen with indecision i originally wanted the upgraded macbook air, but then this fucker shows up. Fuck you Apple for exceeding my expectations

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The current Airs are great. I use one. It's everything I've ever wanted in a laptop. It's light, the battery lasts forever, the screen is great, it's easy to carry, everything feels sturdy, and it actually runs pretty quickly. The storage space is more than you need as long as you don't have a ton of media on it. I recommend the 13".

On the other hand, the extra $200 you pay now to get a new one will translate into $200-or-thereabouts on resale value later. It'll also almost certainly be supported a little longer. USB 3.0 is good. If the price is a problem, Apple has a no-interest financing offer (at least where I live). You'll get the Mountain Lion update for free, which you might not necessarily if you get a refurb, I can't remember.

Apple has great refurbs, fully guaranteed, and I wouldn't really consider the refurb factor at all. So really, it's "Is the update worth $200 to you?"

mr stroke

Can you please elaborate on performance? As I won't be gaming, just general use (movies, pictures, music, browsing, apps, facetime, office, etc)

90% of the time its-Internet, Netflix, iTunes, Quicken, iPhoto, Movies, etc... It really starts to lag if I open up a lot of windows in Chrome with multiple streaming videos going on at once, with other programs open at the same time(iTunes+iPhoto)

I get the "spinning beach ball" a lot when going between tabs or programs if too much is going on at once.

Using the Macbook by its self with out the 27 Apple display I don't experience this as much.

Keep in mind I haven't used the new 2012 Air and have no idea how it performs vs the old model. The Ivy Bridge+SSD+Intel 4000HD might be sufficient enough to power the 27 Apple display.(So much so that I think I am going to sell my 2011 Pro for a 2012 Air)

But if 80% of my use was powering that 27 Apple display I would spend the extra $800 to asure I have enough power.

Tabris

You may have just sold me, especially as I may dual thunderbolt display eventually depending on how switching from 2x 24" windows to 1x 27" mac is for me. The only thing left that may detract from the MacBook Pro is that 50% weight difference between Air and New Pro.

Jimrpg

so GAF what should i get

a 13 inch Macbook Air for $1200

or a 15 inch Macbook Pro with Retina for $2000

am torn!!!

I do a bit of iOS developing, some iMovies, some games but would appreciate the smaller size of the air!!!

mj1108

I'd go for the last gen one. I got mine back in November and was kind of holding my breath to see how much of an update it is. Thankfully it's just a modest bump and nothing I feel like I'm missing out on since my current 13" MBA is still running like a champ.

How easy is it to sell something that much on Craigslist? I tried to see my psvita and Papago on there and no one ever contact me.
It's a pain man. You have to be patient and sift through a lot of the typical Nigerian email scam replies that you'll get. 1 out of every 10 people will actually make you a serious offer. I've had good experiences with the serious offers I have received and they ended up being very good people. Sold an iMac, a ps3, and an old iPod on there with no problems. Always met at a coffee shop.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Sad to see Apple finally throw in the towel for the professional market. The Mac Pro update is beyond a joke. A shame, really, as OSX is a superior experience compared to Windows.

coldfoot

Banned
90% of the time its-Internet, Netflix, iTunes, Quicken, iPhoto, Movies, etc... It really starts to lag if I open up a lot of windows in Chrome with multiple streaming videos going on at once, with other programs open at the same time(iTunes+iPhoto)

I get the "spinning beach ball" a lot when going between tabs or programs if too much is going on at once.

Using the Macbook by its self with out the 27 Apple display I don't experience this as much.
None of that has anything to do with the GPU. It sounds like you either need more memory or a faster CPU. Intel GPU's are fast enough to accelerate any non 3-D gaming task just as good as a dedicated card.

I am also torn between the Air and the 15" pro. Portability is not a huge concern, but price is, and 90% of the time I use my notebook hooked up to an external display. I am also worried about how Apple will dissipate the heat of a quad core + 650M in a 0.7" body and I think at least the initial batch would be unreliable.

On the other hand I am not too sure if the Air has enough CPU grunt for my needs and I will be upgrading to 8GB memory.

Apple really f'd me today. I was hoping for an updated 13" pro. Just taking out the optical drive and at least matching the Air's screen resolution would be enough for me to buy. But now I have to look into getting a macbook air and have to contend with non-standard HDD form factor and ULV CPU's...

Trouble

Banned
Sad to see Apple finally throw in the towel for the professional market. The Mac Pro update is beyond a joke. A shame, really, as OSX is a superior experience compared to Windows.

Huh? Is that a reference to the lack of firewire? They have a thunderbolt to firewire adapter for that.

The new MBP seems like a pro photographer's or graphic designer's dream to me.

Dude, until the refresh these prices were 100€ lower. We went up 100€ when US went down 50$.
And €/$ change is still 1€ = 1.25$.
Something is very wrong.

That something starts with "Europe's whole ec" and ends with "onomy." These prices have to continue to be profitable until the next refresh, they're hedging their bets on account of the near term outlook not being that strong.

Pulling the trigger on a 2.3 with 16GB of RAM. Now it's your turn to weep, Logic and FCX.

64-bit future. It's like 1998 all over again.

Top Bottom