• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Congrats man. Waste of money for AppleCare but other than that its party time!

AppleCare is definitely not a waste, especially when you consider that this is a .0 release and not simply a spec update. totally new engineering, new motherboard design, new chipset, new screen, new battery.

buy AppleCare, everyone.

scorcho

So the RAM is soldered to the board...is it worth paying the $200 upgrade for 16gb ram then?

yes. you'll make it back when you decide to resell the machine in a few years.

You guys is crazy. You have a year to get AppleCare. A year! Do you know what the fail rate is of machines that don't crap out within the first year its pretty rare.
and you don't lose a year if you buy it now. i've had a couple of friends miss the date to sign up for or renew their AppleCare warranties for their products.

Eeeeh.

With the decrease in battery life with the Retina Display MBP, I don't think I'll have any problem holding off till Haswell, which hopefully will be able to bring it back up some.

giga

Screen%20Shot%202012-06-11%20at%203.59.52%20PM.png

Bowser

AppleCare is definitely not a waste, especially when you consider that this is a .0 release and not simply a spec update. totally new engineering, new motherboard design, new chipset, new screen, new battery.

buy AppleCare, everyone.

AppleCare on Macs is NOT a waste of money, it's one of the few warranties that's really worth getting.

Yep, even when I got my Late 2010 MBA in February 2011, I ended up having to get the logic board replaced in June or July - would have cost something like $500-$600, but it was free with Apple Care (well, I was still in my one-year warranty, so it probably would have been free anyway, but still. Well worth it).

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Gonna use the student discount and get $200 off.

Deciding to go with the 2.3GHz version...

Is 2.3 GHz to 2.6 GHz a noticeable speed boost? Worth it for the price significant price increase? Photoshop and Lightroom will be getting heavy use on this.

twofold

AppleCare on Macs is NOT a waste of money, it's one of the few warranties that's really worth getting.

Especially if you travel. I spend 9 months out of the year in foreign countries and it's nice to know that I can go into a service centre and get my Macbook fixed in case it breaks.

Sanjuro

Gonna use the student discount and get $200 off.

Deciding to go with the 2.3GHz version...

Is 2.3 GHz to 2.6 GHz a noticeable speed boost? Worth it for the price significant price increase? Photoshop and Lightroom will be getting heavy use on this.

I would say, no. You're primarily paying for disk space at that point.

TaKeRx

I'm staying with my 17 MBP. I'm not downgrading screen size after I got used to it.

Whenever they make a MBA Retina Display I'll buy that.

Yep, even when I got my Late 2010 MBA in February 2011, I ended up having to get the logic board replaced in June or July - would have cost something like $500-$600, but it was free with Apple Care (well, I was still in my one-year warranty, so it probably would have been free anyway, but still. Well worth it).

That is pretty dang rare. I have owned over 8 Macs over the last decade and not one has been worth applecare. I had a HDD fail in one within the first year and a battery go out in another a year out and it was $130. I still came out ahead. If you read most articles on it AppleCare is a great purchase for a very small group of people.

scorcho

no, not at all. you're already going to see a nice speed bump with CS6 and its switch to an OpenCL-enabled Mercury engine. save the money unless you want the fatter SSD.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
no, not at all. you're already going to see a nice speed bump with CS6 and its switch to an OpenCL-enabled Mercury engine. save the money unless you want the fatter SSD.

Yeahh thats what I figured. Cant wait to upgarde to CS6 (been on CS3 for years).

I AM however thinking of upgrading to 16GB RAM... never thought id see the day I'd buy RAM from Apple

JackEtc

So, as you can see by the screen cap in my last post, the site says it'll ship in 7-10 business days (and then arrive in 2-3 as I payed the extra $15 bucks for 2-3 day shipping).

I thought Apple said they were shipping out today, but maybe there's been so many ordered that they're backed up so they tell me 7-10 days. I'm kinda bummed by that.

Does Apple stuff usually ship out faster than the estimate you're given? Hoping that they do, as I don't wanna wait two weeks.

Lol I'm so torn, do I sell my 2011 iMac in order to get the retina display MBP or keep it and just go with an air or 13 inch MBP or Air for school? Gaming performance is actually decent enough for me on the iMac with Diablo 3 so I'm a little hesitant about giving up performance.

how much would you sell it for?

MrMephistoX

how much would you sell it for?

I'd probably try for $1,000 on craigslist since I upgraded the ram and work it down from there depending on if I get any interest. Also largely depends on the wife's approval since we have to prepare for our firstborn child in September ;) She might try to force me into selling my 360 as well...which I'd be okay with since I mainly only play on the iMac and PS3 these days.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Good lord. That MBP! Even with the rumours pretty much confirming it I'm still impressed. Watch everyone else play catch up... So buying one.

MercuryLS

Banned
RAM and flash storage are just like the air. Ram is soldered on the logic board and the flash storage is connected via a msata-like connector.

ZvUDS.png

Air:

design_power1_20101020.jpg

Looking at the logic boards, I don't think we could ever get an 11" Retina MBP. Just doesn't seem like there would be enough room for the big batteries and a large logic board :(

When you hear stories of Apple customer service being so awesome and just up and swapping broken products out for new ones even when they were out of warranty, you wonder why anyone would buy AppleCare.

Weenerz

Banned
When you hear stories of Apple customer service being so awesome and just up and swapping broken products out for new ones even when they were out of warranty, you wonder why anyone would buy AppleCare.

Because if people stop buying applecare, apple will stop swapping out?

Well, I just purchased the 15" MBP retina!

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

I can't wait!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Cheaped out on shipping so my 2 15 super macs won't be here till 22-26, hope sooner can't wait!

RAM and flash storage are just like the air. Ram is soldered on the logic board and the flash storage is connected via a msata-like connector.

ZvUDS.png

Soldered-in RAM is a deal-breaker for me.

My current MBP came with 4GB of RAM, I upgraded it to 8GB, and I plan on putting 16 GB in it sometime in the near future.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The new maps app with traffic-based rerouting for free is going to be so, so nice.

scorcho

oh, okay. so those vents are directly tied the added heat they expect those batteries to generate. so this thing could theoretically toast even hotter than the 2011 MBPs...

Dreaver

So what are the chances of a 13' retina Air or Pro this fall? :D
Well, the average time between updates for Macbook Pro's is 267 days (source Macrumors). but I think they will update their notebooks every summer from now on (and iPhone in fall, iPad in March or something) as many other users also stated.

tigerin

I'd probably try for $1,000 on craigslist since I upgraded the ram and work it down from there depending on if I get any interest. Also largely depends on the wife's approval since we have to prepare for our firstborn child in September ;) She might try to force me into selling my 360 as well...which I'd be okay with since I mainly only play on the iMac and PS3 these days.
Isnt it scary to sell it on Craigslist especially something with that much value?

rozay

Banned
Considering this 15 inch pro is a generation 1 retina laptop, applecare is probably a really good idea. I'm not convinced that the hardware inside can utilize the screen well for 3D programs and if the ivy bridge processors and internal cooling are up to the task; let's hope it's not the plastic macbook situation all over again.

Next years line will be great though.

oh, okay. so those vents are directly tied the added heat they expect those batteries to generate. so this thing could theoretically toast even hotter than the 2011 MBPs...

You think it will produce a lot of heat? I was looking forward to something a lot cooler than my MBP from '06. ;_;

Considering this 15 inch pro is a generation 1 retina laptop, applecare is probably a really good idea. I'm not convinced that the hardware inside can utilize the screen well for 3D programs and if the ivy bridge processors and internal cooling are up to the task; let's hope it's not the plastic macbook situation all over again.

Next years line will be great though.

That is when I will be jumping in.Plus, gives me a year to save for it. Im game for an updated iMac this year though.

Top Bottom