• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Huh? Is that a reference to the lack of firewire? They have a thunderbolt to firewire adapter for that.

The new MBP seems like a pro photographer's or graphic designer's dream to me.
No, I'm talking about the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro. Although I guess it's kind of ironic you just glossed over it like that. The update is a slap in the face.

eznark

Banned
If they can't see the benefit of in-built turn-by-turn I wonder exactly what these fucking money-shovelers do for a living. Then again these are the same people who nearly drove the global economy off a cliff.

But yeah the market expectations for Apple are so insanely inflated that they will take a stock hit every time they don't re-invent the wheel.

The dip had nothing to do with Apple. Europe closed down, the Nikkei opened down and the Dow took a tumble because after thinking it over over the weekend investors realized Spain is still boned, not because Apple didn't announce a new ipad.

What's humorous to me is that an entity like CNBC is link baiting with Apple news.

Tiktaalik

I was really hoping for a Macbook Air with Retina display. My use cases have drifted toward being much more interested in something lighter than something with power and storage. I guess Apple couldn't find a way to bring the Retina display price down to the Macbook Air $999 area.

I'm on the fence. I was considering selling my old MBP and getting an Air anyway, and I might still do it even though we'll probably get an MB Air Retina in a year.

Jimrpg

Apple really f'd me today. I was hoping for an updated 13" pro. Just taking out the optical drive and at least matching the Air's screen resolution would be enough for me to buy. But now I have to look into getting a macbook air and have to contend with non-standard HDD form factor and ULV CPU's...

thats the point i think, i don't think there will be a 13" pro

it will be 11 and 13 inch macbook airs (in the future) and a 15 inch mac pro

they won't make two different cases for the 13 (air and pro)

which means it will be a long time before we see quad cores in the mac air so if you need laptop grunt it has to be the 15 inch macbook pro

The legacy Air is still good, but the ugprades are worthwhile if you can afford them:

- The GPU is much better in Ivy Bridge.
- They're actually using even faster flash storage in the new Air.
- USB 3.0. USB 2.0 is horrible.
- 720P Facetime, if you video chat.

I think the fact that I can get a refurb from the last refresh with the 13" with 256gig hard drive vs the new 13 with 128 for the same price is making it harder. Double the drive storage is a pretty big deal for a laptop, and I don't know if she'd care about it being a bit quicker.

Considering this 15 inch pro is a generation 1 retina laptop, applecare is probably a really good idea. I'm not convinced that the hardware inside can utilize the screen well for 3D programs and if the ivy bridge processors and internal cooling are up to the task; let's hope it's not the plastic macbook situation all over again.

Next years line will be great though.

The golden rule for Apple buyers: Never buy the first generation of ANYTHING.

noah111

Still Alive
Great show overall. Mountain Lion didn't get enough face time though imo, and Forstall seemed to be actually poking at it or something.. but anyway, new MB's are great, retina's a bit pricey though.

Too bad that battery life is around the same but that's to be expected I suppose. Pretty much how I imagined it half a year ago, in terms of a thinner bezel and lack of teardrop Air design.

giga

47290.png

mmm

corn_fest

Man, I'm feeling like I should cancel and re-order with 16GB of RAM, just for future-proofing, especially since it's not user-replaceable...
Help me decide, GAF :(

Weenerz

Banned
Don't forget early adopters, these retina enabled apps will take up quite a bit more space, we went through this with the new ipad already lol.

Man, I'm feeling like I should cancel and re-order with 16GB of RAM, just for future-proofing, especially since it's not user-replaceable...
You'll prob sell it for a newer model before you ever get to the point in the future where you'll need 16gb. :)

I say 8 is plenty.

LCfiner

They didn't update it, they just added a New sticker on the SKU. I am not sure how stable Lion is on hackintosh but snow leopard is very stable

American MAC OS X stig is fat

Didn’t they update the default RAM on the base model to 6 GB from 3 GB (lol)?

plus the slightly updated chips?

Trouble

Banned
No, I'm talking about the Mac Pro, not the Macbook Pro. Although I guess it's kind of ironic you just glossed over it like that. The update is a slap in the face.

Oh, heh. Didn't even realize they bumped the Pro today. *looks*... Yeah they didn't even add thunderbolt or USB 3.0, that's kinda inexcusable.

Trouble

Banned

Yes get the 16. $200 isn't that bad considering what Apple has charged for RAM in the past.

So is using a graphics card from 2009 in your pro workstation.

Do off the shelf PCIe cards work these days? I had a G5 PowerMac back in the day and the video card options were quite slim.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Do off the shelf PCIe cards work these days? I had a G5 PowerMac back in the day and the video card options were quite slim.
Nope, can't throw just anything in there. Currently Apple is offering a 5870 as an upgrade (also from 2009 and way overpriced) and the nVidia Quadro 4000 for $1,200 which is ancient and costs an arm and a leg (but is at least something resembling a pro option). There are ways to use newer cards, but they involve not-so-nice things like flashing a modified BIOS to make it work or using hacked drivers. Neither are good options for professionals who need bulletproof systems.

Top Bottom