• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE '12 |OT| The People's OT

blurrygil

in these WWE games does the A.I have real individuality?

Thing I love about Fire Pro and KOC 2 is each wrestler feels completely different. The A.I is the best in any wrestling game as Spike CPU logic is very good.

Sadly, it's not the best. However, whenever I'm a mid-card or lower level wrestler and take on a ME status guy, they always seem to make a big comeback on me in true-to-life programming fashion... :p

However, they brought back the weight classes. That alone, adds a lot to in-ring gameplay personality for me.

I'm so confused. Did this actually turn out to be good? Other than All Stars, I haven't played a wrestling game since the first Smackdown game.

From my eyes, the game is looking great. Other previews, such as some of the guys at CAWS.ws, are loving it. I'll give better impressions later tonight when I get my copy. :)

Sounds like its the only thing they hate and RTWM has never been good.

Besides who buys WWE games for that? people buy it for GM mode (aka universe mode), online modes, offline modes and caw stuff. Which is all fantastic.

This.

First Impressions of WWE '12 after a few matches: I love this game. The flow of the in ring action has vastly improved since past games. This is probably the best game since Here Comes The Pain, and I've played most of them, and at least all of them since this generation.

Good to know man! I'm HYYYYYYYYPE!!!

King_Moc

Banned
Does anyone know what the loading is like? The later Smackdown games were unplayable due to ridiculous loading times everywhere. Before and after ring entrances? Really?

Kaladin

Does anyone know what the loading is like? The later Smackdown games were unplayable due to ridiculous loading times everywhere. Before and after ring entrances? Really?

PS3 Load times weren't bad at all. I only got 4 matches in before I came to work though.

When I get home I'm gonna start messing around with the creation stuff for my Universe. I need to create an ROH arena. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vader's so much damn fun to play as. Hope he's in the next All Stars team game

edit: anyone know if there's a step by step draft like last year?

Hi guys, I need some help if possible.

I've had my review copy of this since Saturday and I still can't win a match. There must be something I'm doing wrong as I just get grabbed by the AI then beaten into submission over and over. Hammering the counter button rarely does anything.

Also the fact there's no tutorials (apart from a move list) is no help whatsoever.

I haven't played a wrestling game since the N64 days, I just have no idea how I'm supposed to review a game when I can't even get past the first match on Road to Wrestlemania.

Kaladin

I've had my review copy of this since Saturday and I still can't win a match. There must be something I'm doing wrong as I just get grabbed by the AI then beaten into submission over and over. Hammering the counter button rarely does anything.

Also the fact there's no tutorials (apart from a move list) is no help whatsoever.

I haven't played a wrestling game since the N64 days, I just have no idea how I'm supposed to review a game when I can't even get past the first match on Road to Wrestlemania.

This game has fairly simple controls. First of all, you don't hammer on the reversal button. You have to hit it right, and if you hammer on it, the game will always register an off-timed hit. Second, I think you actually need to use strikes to set up grapples in this game, at least early on. I love that all grappling is initiated with the X button, but it gets more complex from there. The only things I felt like I couldn't figure out on my own in 4 matches were the targeted striking system and completing breaking point submissions, though that may be just because I went for it too soon without working on that body part.

blurrygil

Vader's so much damn fun to play as. Hope he's in the next All Stars team game

edit: anyone know if there's a step by step draft like last year?

The Draft is back in 12. The only thing I saw about it was for Universe 2.0 mode, where they have the Draft Pick Qualifying matches. Win your match, your show gets a random Superstar, ala the programming. They talk about it in this vid: http://youtu.be/Sv4xgFFpl24

First off, RTWM is garbage and I haven't even played the game. It's always been garbage. The true meat and potatoes is the Universe & Creation modes.

In any case, sandman is pretty spot on. You need to work over your opponents slowly first, before going for big grapples, signatures and finishers. Really, just practice. There's a rhythm to every WWE game, you just have to find it.

G-Fex

gdpzN.jpg

Gonna go make Robocop, Shockmaster, and maybe Razor Ramon

Is there any way to change the entire card in universe mode? I can only change one match, and hen it goes straight to the next match. :(

dreamfall

And still waiting on my order from THQ (placed in September...). I've never really been a fan of RTWM, so the criticisms levied against it seem to be warranted (wear down an opponent, tap to finish a match). I don't like when a story mode in a sports game forces you to complete the match in a very specific play style (FN Champion here's looking at you!).

I wish some of these preliminary reviews would focus more on the new controls aspect- even as fan of the series, this iteration seems to be heading in the right direction with some new button layout. Finding that rhythm in defeating an opponent should feel new and different. Does the new layout work?

Prothero

Neo Member
This game has fairly simple controls. First of all, you don't hammer on the reversal button. You have to hit it right, and if you hammer on it, the game will always register an off-timed hit. Second, I think you actually need to use strikes to set up grapples in this game, at least early on. I love that all grappling is initiated with the X button, but it gets more complex from there. The only things I felt like I couldn't figure out on my own in 4 matches were the targeted striking system and completing breaking point submissions, though that may be just because I went for it too soon without working on that body part.

All of this.

MonkeyKnuckle, you have to take advantage of any "lulls" in the A.I.'s activity. If the A.I. stops for a second, that's your window to try to take back the match. Strikes, grapples, etc. -- you've got to strike back quickly right at that very moment. Use different types of attacks helps, too -- don't use all front, rear, or ground grapples. Attack from the top rope, use running grapples, running attacks, counter grapples to your opponent bouncing off of the rope, and don't use submissions unless you absolutely intend to. Break the hold immediately if you find yourself accidentally using a submission on the A.I. (they'll rebound with a bit of energy when they inevitably get out, otherwise) and start attacking the opponent again as soon as possible.

Also, MonkeyKnuckle, RTWM isn't always about winning matches. Sometimes, you're building to a preset point of damage on an opponent. A button icon will appear over the A.I.'s head when it's time to finish them off. Sometimes, you may have to get the opponent over to a specific area and then hit the button when it's highlighted to trigger the next event. The way to tell whether or not you're in an "event trigger" match/situation or an actual match is to wait and see whether or not a "PIN!" prompt appears beneath your opponent after they're down. If not, you're in an "event trigger" situation -- you just have to wait for the icon to appear and then get in the right situation with the right opponent. Usually, Objective text tells you this or tells you "pin [opponent]."

Hell yeah. Picked this up at Target for a cool 47 bucks (needed to get a towel too so it was killing two birds with one stone). Going to boot it up in a couple of minutes. Really pumped to start creating some wrestlers. This is my first WWE game since 2007-2008ish so I'm pretty fresh.

Just as a disclaimer: I have bought and enjoyed to an extent every wrestling game to come out since the NES.

Anyways, I Am really enjoying the game.

The new controls are a huge step up. I feel like I have more control over everything, thanks to the new limb targeting system.

The AI is 10 times better than past Smackdowns. It's still not as good as HCTP's AI, but it's close. A big problem I had with past games was how easy it was to wear down an opponent. They fixed that now, and it takes forever to wear them down. No more reversal fest too (at least so far)

RTWM seems decent. I'm only 3 matches in, but it seems enjoyable enough. Better than last years PS1 JRPG style.

Graphics are a step up. Not mind blowing, but much better in person than they seem in videos.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it and this one might stay in my collection lover than 2 months unlike 2011.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My brother just did Layla vs Maryse in Universe mode

Mode starts out with Eve jumping Maryse. Then the match starting. Then Beth jumping Maryse. Then Layla getting the pin. Then Beth and Nattie jump Layla after the match.

This some WCW booking

Kaladin

My brother just did Layla vs Maryse in Universe mode

Mode starts out with Eve jumping Maryse. Then the match starting. Then Beth jumping Maryse. Then Layla getting the pin. Then Beth and Nattie jump Layla after the match.

This some WCW booking

This would work great, I probably will have all divas on my Nitro show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, a good chunk of purchasers, myself included, are experiencing a bug with the ring having random black clipping issues.

Really something that should NOT be in a final game.

Apollo

Banned
That's it I'm fawking done trusting IGNs reviews. This game is garbage...why the hell can't I tag my teammates on Road to Wrestlemania and have to follow objectives? That is some retarded programing right there. I also hate the mini game for kicking out of a pin. Then the reversals don't work that much. Don't let me get started on the ripped up HHH.

That's it I'm fawking done trusting IGNs reviews. This game is garbage...why the hell can't I tag my teammates on Road to Wrestlemania and have to follow objectives? That is some retarded programing right there. I also hate the mini game for kicking out of a pin. Then the reversals don't work that much. Don't let me get started on the ripped up HHH.
You can tag in RTWM in at least some matches. I usually do it by throwing the opponent in my corner and grappling. You will tag your partner and do a double team move.

Also, for reversals don't hammer the button over and over, the timing is strict.

Apollo

Banned
You can tag in RTWM in at least some matches. I usually do it by throwing the opponent in my corner and grappling. You will tag your partner and do a double team move.

Also, for reversals don't hammer the button over and over, the timing is strict.

You can tag in some matches you got that right, but you can't tag in a lot of them because the game is heavly scripted. On the reverals I don't hammer the button over and over. The reversal system is just different this year. You can't block/reverse certain strikes and the reversal flash is inconsistent some times the a button pops up instead of the RT to reverse a move WTF.

You can tag in some matches you got that right, but you can't tag in a lot of them because the game is heavly scripted. On the reverals I don't hammer the button over and over. The reversal system is just different this year. You can't block/reverse certain strikes and the reversal flash is inconsistent some times the a button pops up instead of the RT to reverse a move WTF.

I cant believe they have scripted matches. WTF is that BS!

I would take it back day 1 if I bought it.

cacophony

This comes from Amazon tomorrow, ended up getting it for $37 + a $10 GC.

If worst comes to worst, at least I'll have a lot of fun with all the customization options.

Ferny

Everyone I know personally loves the game. I haven't talked to anyone who dislikes it but maybe when more GAF'ers play, we'll get a better idea.

Xander51

I picked this up and I've played a bit of it. I'm really enjoying the new engine. I've noticed the reversal pop-ups don't show up if you hit the button too early, it really demands patience and perfect timing. The timing window is closer to the older games as opposed to last year where I thought it was much more generous.

Also, the game is more seamless and the load times are minimal. I don't mind the use of scripted matches here and there because I think it lets them produce something more like the show and less like a fighting game.

Well, I just played one match

I played as Long Island Iced Z against Alberto del Rio. I got annihilated. I hit some moves but then Del Rio caught fire. I haven't lost to AI in a wrestling game in a long, long time.

This game is gonna be fun

G-Fex

I played as Long Island Iced Z against Alberto del Rio. I got annihilated. I hit some moves but then Del Rio caught fire. I haven't lost to AI in a wrestling game in a long, long time.

I noticed that, last years game and what little I played of it, I won matches easily, they actually put up a fight now.

Give Sin Cara a spin. He's got some awesome moves. I'd say Cara and Bryan have gotten the most love this year.

Top Bottom