• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Draft |OT| A McMahon on every show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

A SMART MANEUVER

THAT'S ENOUGH OUT OF YOU

BWgZIHs.gif

Then you've clearly been ignoring everything I've said
Dude, your reasons for keeping Nakamura in NXT are variations on the idea that they need to Keep NXT Strong. That in kayfabe or real life, people running Raw and Smackdown would be like "BUT WHO WOULD BE TOP IN NXT? I HAVE TO NOT CHOOSE THE GUY EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT."

Gurrry

Cause she's not like most girls

She needs to flush that song down the toilet before she comes up to the main roster.

Nothing screams big bruting bad ass heel woman like a shitty upbeat popsong about being not like most girls.

Her theme needs to be some scary sounding shit.

Sephzilla

Dude, your reasons for keeping Nakamura in NXT are variations on the idea that they need to Keep NXT Strong. That in kayfabe or real life, people running Raw and Smackdown would be like "BUT WHO WOULD BE TOP IN NXT? I HAVE TO NOT CHOOSE THE GUY EVERYONE'S TALKING ABOUT."

Assuming a publicly traded company would do something to keep all of their active brands strong is clearly not logical thinking.

I personally don't want Nakamura will be drafted tonight nor do I think he will. The reason is is because he's competing for his first championship in WWE in a month, at what may be the NXT brand's biggest show of the year.

Also, it's not about Nakamura being ready, it's about WWE being ready. Which I don't think they are.

I don't have an avatar but I will dead ass bet he won't get drafted tonight

Sephzilla

Why do you think Nakamura is some sort of glue holding NXT together? That NXT is this desperate for him?

By your own logic, Nakamura is one of the most popular wrestlers on the planet right now and is the most talked about guy. So yes, by your own logic, Nakamura is basically the glue holding NXT together right now and he would be super important to the brand especially since they're about to lose all of their other big draws.

I personally don't want Nakamura will be drafted tonight nor do I think he will. The reason is is because he's competing for his first championship in WWE in a month, at what may be the NXT brand's biggest show of the year.

Also, it's not about Nakamura being ready, it's about WWE being ready. Which I don't think they are.

Based on what, though? Assuming there isn't a generic explanation right away that says "by the way, Nakamura isn't involved" to start the show, what's going to be the explanation for the audience as to why WWE is acting like their biggest NXT star doesn't exist?

Gurrry

Honestly, I think it will be Nakamura OR Joe, but not both.

I think if Nakamura is drafted, he obviously loses to Joe. Then Joe has some instant cred where he can say he is the only one to beat Nakamura in NXT. Makes him look way more strong than him just beating up Balor all the time.

If Joe gets drafted, Nakamura is obviously winning and will carry NXT for the time being.

By your own logic, Nakamura is one of the most popular wrestlers on the planet right now and is the most talked about guy. So yes, by your own logic, Nakamura is basically the glue holding NXT together right now and he would be super important to the brand especially since they're about to lose all of their other big draws.
Guys, they've taped the next month of NXT. Nakamura won't just suddenly disappear from NXT. Just like Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and Sasha Banks. NXT is fine.

Balor and Bailey seem like the obvious NXT moves.

Alexa Bliss probably as well but the Women stuff on the main roster has been stuck in a loop for 6 months. Not sure tossing more women into it will fix it when they dont even use the women they got.

Sephzilla

Honestly, I think it will be Nakamura OR Joe, but not both.

I think if Nakamura is drafted, he obviously loses to Joe. Then Joe has some instant cred where he can say he is the only one to beat Nakamura in NXT. Makes him look way more strong than him just beating up Balor all the time.

If Joe gets drafted, Nakamura is obviously winning and will carry NXT for the time being.

Yeah, there's no way both Joe and Nakamura get drafted. That would mean no matter what the NXT Champion would be working on a different show.

Guys, they've taped the next month of NXT. Nakamura won't just suddenly disappear from NXT. Just like Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and Sasha Banks. NXT is fine.

NXT does house show tours now too. Those bring in a good chunk of money and Nakamura would disappear from those.

Strax

No, Jason Jordan needed all that time, because he was not a wrestler pre-WWE. They do keep experienced names in NXT for far too long (like Bálor has been there since summer 2014, over two years now, that's absurd), but the rookies learning wrestling do need to be there for a long time, unless they're a prodigy like a Chad Gable.

I'm not saying bring up the Jason Jordans of the world after 3 years no matter what. If they are good enough after 3 years put them on WWE if not let them try TNA/NJPW/ROH/Whatever and just tell them "We might want to sign you later"

Gurrry

Yeah, there's no way both Joe and Nakamura get drafted. That would mean no matter what the NXT Champion would be working on a different show.

And considering Joe is just now starting his real title run (he made is first appearance on TV since winning last week), I think its far more likely that Nakamura is the one that gets drafted here.

0816325001434460070_filepicker.png

You guys have all sorts of reasons you think make sense for why WWE on air would notice either Joe or Nakamura, but not both guys. None of it makes sense.

You have to explain how senpai notices Joe and Balor but not Nakamura. How would they explain this on live TV?

Gurrry

0816325001434460070_filepicker.png

You guys have all sorts of reasons you think make sense for why WWE on air would notice either Joe or Nakamura, but not both guys. None of it makes sense.

You have to explain how senpai notices Joe and Balor but not Nakamura. How would they explain this on live TV?

They wont explain anything. They will gloss over it just like everything else.

Sephzilla

And considering Joe is just now starting his real title run (he made is first appearance on TV since winning last week), I think its far more likely that Nakamura is the one that gets drafted here.

I think Joe's the one who gets drafted.

1) Nakamura is red hot in NXT and since Bayley and Balor are going to get drafted, he'll be the only remaining top face left in the company.

2) Joe's story arc in NXT is basically done. He slayed the demon and became the champ and got what he came for.

3) Joe's older than Nakamura (not much, just a year). Less time on the clock for Vince to milk him out

4) Outside of Nakamura there aren't many good matches left for him in NXT unless you want some TNA retreads.

This wasn't a draft though! To use your own words and logic against you. Owens wasn't exclusive to Raw when he showed up to fight Cena. The draft means that wrestler becomes exclusive to Raw or Smackdown - meaning no more NXT.

If he does not get drafted WWE is under no contractual obligation to acknowledge or explain why Shinsuke Nakamura stays in NXT. Acknowledging that he doesn't get drafted would cause a Streisand Effect and draw more attention to the fact that he didn't get drafted.

They wont explain anything. They will gloss over it just like everything else.

Yup. They don't draw attention to it. Simple as that.

Sure, people will bicker on the net about how silly not bringing him up now is but WWE will just do it in their own time.

You could also have Nakamura drafted to Raw/Smack but obligated to fulfill certain duties on NXT. He doesn't have to come up right away. He's just promised to a certain brand.

NXT does house show tours now too. Those bring in a good chunk of money and Nakamura would disappear from those.
I know. I've been to two. One with Nakamura, and one before he came. They were both great.

You know what makes even more money? Shinsuke Nakamura on your main show filling out basketball arenas, not convention center auditoriums.

You guys forget that they are splitting their rosters in half. They need superstars on Raw and Smackdown just as badly as they need to refill NXT.

Knox

You haven't used any logic at all, though.

This is live TV where they promote stars and events. They've promoted that 6 NXT stars are coming up. Why would anyone care that they're bringing up Tye Dillinger and Mojo Rawley? Why would they do this over Nakamura? How would they explain it to the live audience? This is the logic you need to thinking about.

They won't have to. The mid card NXT call ups would be on the network afterwards, they'll make their real debuts next week. We're kind of getting caught up in the NXT part of the draft when they have lots of picks to cover in two hours. That's why I feel like they can only give time to a few NXT people. I'm not saying it's impossible that we get the NXT all-stars, it's just not what I expect. I'd love to be surprised.

Additional kayfabe reasoning for the NXT picks: We know there are six NXT people being drafted, why only six? Why can't they draft whoever they want from NXT? Maybe it's because only six people/teams were made eligible for the draft. Those people were kayfabe picked by HHH/NXT/whoever to go to the main roster so NXT could still keep some people. Raw and Smackdown would only be able to choose from that group.

Additional kayfabe reasoning for the NXT picks: We know there are six NXT people being drafted, why only six? Why can't they draft whoever they want from NXT? Maybe it's because only six people/teams were made eligible for the draft. Those people were kayfabe picked by HHH/NXT/whoever to go to the main roster so NXT could still keep some people. Raw and Smackdown would only be able to choose from that group.
This makes sense! I can buy this. I don't see it happening, though. I figure that would have been explained on Raw.

Sephzilla

You know what makes even more money? Shinsuke Nakamura on your main show filling out basketball arenas, not convention center auditoriums.

Those basketball arenas are going to fill themselves out thanks to people like Bayley, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Finn Balor, Dean Ambrose, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and John Cena.

Those convention center auditoriums are not going to sell themselves out with people like Nia Jax, Austin Aeries, Eva Marie, or Tye Dillinger.

Corven

So what do you think is going to happen to the women's division? Will they actually split the already meager selection of women wrestlers between the two shows or will the whole division go to one or the other?

So what do you think is going to happen to the women's division? Will they actually split the already meager selection of women wrestlers between the two shows or will the whole division go to one or the other?

This is a bigger concern than Nakamura for me.

Is Nikki coming back?

Those basketball arenas are going to fill themselves out thanks to people like Bayley, Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins, Finn Balor, Dean Ambrose, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, and John Cena.

Those convention center auditoriums are not going to sell themselves out with people like Nia Jax, Austin Aeries, Eva Marie, or Tye Dillinger.
It's still so weird to me you guys are seeing that NXT gets 6 top picks, and they will literally pick every top star except the very top star, just because.

You're acting like NXT doesn't replenish its roster. Seriously, your whole argument all morning has relied on the idea that Triple H doesn't know what he's going to do.

Nakamura came in to wrestle Zayn's last match. He filled that hole. More people will fill NXT by the next set of post-Summerslam tapings.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie I think you are putting way to much faith in wwe logic and how much they care about kayfabe.
No, I just know they have live TV where they have to actually explain their decisions and justify them, even if you disagree, such as Roman Reigns. This is the part of pro wrestling that wrestlers say the public doesn't know shit about, because we're more concerned with cool heel turns and shit than internal logic.

There's no logic internal or external, kayfabe or real life, that explains picking top NXT stars but ignoring the actual top NXT stars.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean in kayfabe logic why wouldn't you just pick Samoa Joe first

I mean, in kayfabe logic why not call those guys up a long time ago

deli2000

They're going to do the former even though it's a bad idea, because the WWE is still as backwards when it comes to booking the women's division as 5 years ago, despite them pretending they're not.

MG310

The reason stated above works - especially since they can center the next Breaking Ground special/season around deciding who is going to be moved up for the draft.

There's a 0 percent chance they didn't film something with Bayley being told she's going to the main roster.

kiguel182

Based on what, though? Assuming there isn't a generic explanation right away that says "by the way, Nakamura isn't involved" to start the show, what's going to be the explanation for the audience as to why WWE is acting like their biggest NXT star doesn't exist?

There doesn't need to be an explanation. Kayfabe logic doesn't exist. Stuff happens because it makes sense backstage not because of some internal logic.

If Nakamura isn't drafted then they just won't mention him.

Raw64life

Daniel Bryan being on record as saying that Nakamura is his favorite wrestler will make it even funnier if he isn't drafted without an explanation.

There doesn't need to be an explanation. Kayfabe logic doesn't exist. Stuff happens because it makes sense backstage not because of some internal logic.

If Nakamura isn't drafted then they just won't mention him.
So in this scenario, Finn Balor gets called up as we all expect, and Mauro Ranallo is there on commentary like "LOL WELL THAT'S ALL FROM NXT." Mauro Ranallo isn't going to be missing Shinsuke Nakamura like he's Poochie, saying "where's Nakamura" all night? Daniel Bryan, who talked publicly on Twitter to Nakamura while he was still in New Japan, saying Nakamura would be his dream match, is just going to be like "LOL WELL I GUESS I'M GONNA PICK THE DRIFTER, WHO ELSE EVEN MATTERS." The audience who knows Balor and thus also knows Nakamura is just going to be like "LOL I'M SATISFIED WITH THIS DRAFT NOW."

Daniel Bryan being on record as saying that Nakamura is his favorite wrestler will make it even funnier if he isn't drafted without an explanation.
Nakamura would also be a great pick to get "internet fans" to actually tune in and watch their new live show

It'd be cool to see but it doesn't seem like a guaranteed lock. Also makes you feel like some people (Alexa Bliss, etc) are just never leaving because they aren't on that level

Sephzilla

• Kayfabe logic says Samoa Joe should get picked before Nakamura because Joe beat Balor first and more definitively
  • Kayfabe logic says Balor should go before Nakamura because Balor is one of the longest reigning NXT Champions ever and has multiple wins over Samoa Joe, current NXT Champ
  • Kayfabe logic says you should pick The Revival before Nakamura because you also need to bolster a tag division and have diversity on your show
  • Kayfabe logic says that you should also pick American Alpha because they also beat The Revival
  • Kayfabe logic says you should pick Bayley before Nakamura because she's a long reigning NXT Women's Champion and could be the female face of the show
  • Kayfabe logic says you pick Asuka before Nakamura because Asuka is a reigning champion who also gives you the same overseas marketability that Nakamura provides, plus she beat Bayley

• Kayfabe logic says Samoa Joe should get picked before Nakamura because Joe beat Balor first and more definitively
  • Kayfabe logic says Balor should go before Nakamura because Balor is one of the longest reigning NXT Champions ever and has multiple wins over Samoa Joe
  • Kayfabe logic says you should pick The Revival before Nakamura because you also need to bolster a tag division
  • Kayfabe logic says that you should also pick American Alpha because they also beat The Revival
  • Kayfabe logic says you should pick Bayley before Nakamura because she's a long reinging NXT Champion and could be the female face of the show
  • Kayfabe logic says you pick Asuka before Nakamura because Asuka is a reigning champion who also gives you the same overseas marketability that Nakamura provides, plus she beat Bayley
So this guy who just beat Balor and is the #1 contender is a nobody.

I get your logic here, but it's devaluing Nakamura to such a ridiculous extent. No one is picking the Revival over him.

BearPawB

Banned
  • Kayfabe logic says Balor should go before Nakamura because Balor is one of the longest reigning NXT Champions ever and has multiple wins over Samoa Joe, current NXT Champ
  • Kayfabe logic says you should pick The Revival before Nakamura because you also need to bolster a tag division and have diversity on your show
  • Kayfabe logic says you should pick Bayley before Nakamura because she's a long reinging NXT Champion and could be the female face of the show

This is the only arguement that actually makes sense to me.

They only have 6 slots to fill. And there are 6 logical people to take before him.

I get your logic here, but it's devaluing Nakamura to such a ridiculous extent. No one is picking the Revival over him.

Tag teams have value.

Toki767

So you understand logic, but now you're throwing logic out the window because it doesn't fit in with what you want?

Are you Vince McMahon?

Ok... so three pages of Nakamura debate in, how about we both just agree that the clear 1st round draft pick needs to be.... Broken Matt Hardy. :p

Sephzilla

I never said Nakamura was a nobody. I'm just saying there's plenty of kayfabe logic to explain why Nakamura could get shut out of the 6 NXT picks.

The only thing you're doing is devaluing everyone else.

So you understand logic, but now you're throwing logic out the window because it doesn't fit in with what you want?

Are you Vince McMahon?
Would Vince McMahon pick the Revival over Shinsuke Nakamura?

I think you guys are legit shook at the idea that Shinsuke Nakamura is actually a megastar in US wrestling and is actually seen as such and could actually be live on weekly WWE cable TV. The idea is just so inconceivable right now to you that you're explaining how WWE is going to ignore him and have the fans actually be okay with it.

BearPawB

Banned
Would Vince McMahon pick the Revival over Shinsuke Nakamura?

I think you guys are legit shook at the idea that Shinsuke Nakamura is actually a megastar in US wrestling and is actually seen as such and could actually be live on weekly WWE cable TV.

in the NFL draft you don't pick all Quarterbacks

You pick tag team, even if they are lesser stars/talent, because you have a need there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom