• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Survivor Series 2016 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Regardless of how many liked or disliked that finish the fact remains it was a glaring example of the on the fly booking decisions that continue to be ruinous to WWE. It was likely made only hours before the finish itself which is idotic. It is, once again, proof positive that this company has no logical plan moving forward. It is impossible to create compelling content when they choose to write storylines in this way.

I honestly have no idea if the moment itself was good or bad, but it sure does not impove the product as a whole in any way.

They see things like Lesnar vs Taker or Goldberg as events themselves, like Mayweather/Pacquiao or a Connor McGregor fight. Its can't miss and long term plans are irrelevant. In a way, they are right, Lesnar hasn't been in the title picture since the last Rollins match, so if he's fighting other part timers, special event opponents, it doesn't affect the main roster at all. Its all about spectacle.

These sorts of super short matches happen in UFC. People are used to them. That's part of why this works now when it wouldn't have a decade ago.

This would be the equivalent of Randy Couture coming back next year to knock out the HW champ in thirty seconds.

There's quick finishes that make sense. This is not that.

sora87

I don't understand why you guys are so sure we even see Goldberg again. This felt like a one-off. This was the same as the NWO/DX run-ins during the Sting/Triple H match at Mania. Pure fan service with no mind paid to continuity or canon. Next time we see Brock in 4 weeks they'll probably act like this never happened.

Or whoever he feuds with mentions it and brock completely destroys them

dzelly

Since I hadn't gotten around to watching takeover yet I'm washing the taste of that PPV outta my mouth with it. Roode's entrance is simply glorious.

We should have all waited to watch the far superior show until after Survivor Series.

I'm seriously still in shock. I can't believe Brock signed on to work that match in the first place.

Does this leave the door open for Goldberg to make a comeback now? Taker v Goldberg at Wrestlemania would be pretty huge. Goldy would even have time to get into good enough cardio shape to wrestle a match that lasts more than 90 seconds.

orioto

Good Art™
These sorts of super short matches happen in UFC. People are used to them. That's part of why this works now when it wouldn't have a decade ago.

Nah it works in UFC cause people are legit stronger than other people.
It would have worked if indeed we could believe Goldberg is stronger than Lesnar.

Unfortunately he's 50yo, didn't wrestle in 20 years and could lift his son nor keep his balance in the ring the last time we saw him.

it didn't feel like a mma surprise at all. It felt jobbing their strongest asset for the sake of a product placement.

Bergerac

I want a god damn Goldberg squash match every week on Raw

Give him the jobbers!

I actually think it's a major problem to the product as a whole that enhancement matches are basically dead and gone. 'Everyone's a superstar' is bollocks and doesn't work.

Limit

This would be the equivalent of Randy Couture coming back next year to knock out the HW champ in thirty seconds.

There's quick finishes that make sense. This is not that.

Think of it as indiana jones taking on 6 guys 30 years younger than him if it makes it easier to digest. This is a work of fiction.

JTripper

Goldberg ready for the 1-minute Mania match against

tumblr_n2j7yayzgw1sdqajoo1_r1_250.gif

I'd be 100% okay with the Goldberg/Brock match if this led to Brock going full Pillman and pulling a pistol on Goldberg's wife or something, forcing a rematch because he was too cocky coming into this.

Unfortunately they won't do that, so this was just a one-off pop that will lead nowhere.

Beef pls respond. Why do I continue to watch these PPVs?

Rellik

Nah it works in UFC cause people are legit stronger than other people.
It would have worked if indeed we could believe Goldberg is stronger than Lesnar.

Unfortunately he's 50yo, didn't wrestle in 20 years and could lift his son nor keep his balance in the ring the last time we saw him.

it didn't feel like a mma surprise at all. It felt jobbing their strongest asset for the sake of a product placement.

It felt like a Goldberg match.

Did people want Goldberg working the arm in a 20 minute match?

MechaX

Does this leave the door open for Goldberg to make a comeback now? Taker v Goldberg at Wrestlemania would be pretty huge. Goldy would even have time to get into good enough cardio shape to wrestle a match that lasts more than 90 seconds.

And that is why it's probably not happening. Didn't Goldberg say a few months ago that his body was shot or something to that effect?

Think of it as indiana jones taking on 6 guys 30 years younger than him if it makes it easier to digest. This is a work of fiction.

Again, even as a work of fiction, it's dumb. Within the story world they have created, it makes no sense and benefits absolutely nobody who will be around in the long term.

Imagine if at the end of Episode VII, Kylo Ren had beaten Rey and Finn easily and then Han Solo just shoots him and we get credits. That would have sucked and benefited no one.

dzelly

I don't get it. WWE is rumored to be disappointed with the network's revenue. Why would they sell a main event this hard just to piss it away?

I'm not even that mad...I'm just disappointed.

I'd be 100% okay with the Goldberg/Brock match if this led to Brock going full Pillman and pulling a pistol on Goldberg's wife or something, forcing a rematch because he was too cocky coming into this.

Unfortunately they won't do that, so this was just a one-off pop that will lead nowhere.

I think you're crazy if you think they aren't doing a rematch that Lesnar wins. Hopefully it's at Mania and they just completely bag the Shane/Brock plans.

BasilZero

This was a great PPV!

Watching Goldberg dominate (I know it makes no sense logically) triggered my nostalgia from when I grew up watching WCW.

GOOOOLDBERG :)

I think you're crazy if you think they aren't doing a rematch that Lesnar wins. Hopefully it's at Mania and they just completely bag the Shane/Brock plans.

I think you are crazy if you think Goldberg wrestling again is some sure thing. If they were really dead set on a trilogy, it would have made sense for Brock to win this one since Goldberg won at Mania 20 (and they didn't hesitate to mention this).

Definitely need another Pillman with a gun promo from brock lesnar. Would be hilarious

Just have him going to Goldbergs house with his rifle and watch some fuckery ensue. You could even have brock beat him so then there wouldn't have to be a match

Because I think it's fairly certain Goldberg is never going in the ring again.

Kimawolf

that was my idea for what they'd have to do for Brock as well. Have him beat up his son or something, or pull a gun on them.

The only possible good that can come out of this is if someone beats Goldberg at WM that isn't Brock or Shane or Taker. But that's not going to happen.

I think you are crazy if you think Goldberg wrestling again is some sure thing. If they were really dead set on a trilogy, it would have made sense for Brock to win this one since Goldberg won at Mania 20 (and they didn't hesitate to mention this).

Idk, they've tried to sink in that it was Goldberg's last match.

"You're last" or "Goldberg said he had one last jackhammer in him"

dzelly

I think it may be a good thing for Brock overall. He's been completely one dimensional for a really long time. This type of loss leaves him open to the crowd actually being excited when he runs back through the roster.

I know that most of my friends that regularly follow wrestling have been tired of seeing his matches for a while, due to all of them being extended squash matches. I grew up watching him wrestle at The Barn on the U of M campus and stuck with him throughout his UFC and WWE career, so I'm always happy to see him in the ring no matter what.

orioto

Good Art™

There is no rematch it was a feel good "out of realism" moment, in a non competitive way. It was the story of Goldberg being a hero a last time and in front of his son. That's all there is to it and it was just for the push of the videogame.

Why would Goldberg give him a rematch?
Maybe I should rephrase. I think you're crazy if you think the plan isn't for another rematch.

There's no guarantee that will happen, but Bill has expressed regret that he didn't have more time to train for this and (I assume) actually put on a good match from a more traditional sense. From a storytelling perspective, you can do whatever you want from Goldberg accepting just because to Brock making shit personal.

dream

Or is it maybe more like Matt Serra knocking out Rush, or Holly Holm knocking out Ronda? Sometimes upsets happen when the dominant killer is overconfident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom