• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

Godot25

Banned
Uncharted perfected the formula of an "Indiana Jones" type game. If they follow Uncharted, they will be replicating the "perfect formula", but it will be just a copy of Uncharted. And Machine Games cannot match Naughty Dog. So it'll be a "cheaper" copy (for the lack of a better word).

I would be pretty disappointed if Indy will be shallow game with focus on style over substance. I get why many people like Uncharted games, but honestly I prefer more reliance towards varied gameplay systems.

But if they will be able to keep storytelling style of Wolfenstein games in Indy, that would be instant upgrade over Uncharted in my books.

StueyDuck

I really really really really want Indiana Jones to be awesome. Machine games during the TNO and old blood would have been awesome.

But we can't deny that they've pooped out mid games since, the story and balance of TNC was genuinely terrible maintaining the good combat and then that co-op game was just plain bad from top to bottom.

I really hope they've tightened the reins for Indy and have a really fun adventure for us

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
It's pretty interesting that Bethesda's logo is completely missing from D_D graphics. Unlike last year. On one hand it's surprising, because I thought that Microsoft wants to preserve "they are separate company" schtick around Bethesda. But it points to me that after Redfall fiasco Microsoft became more involved in day-to-day operations of Bethesda. And also, it's probably for the better since...Bethesda is Xbox...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Thats a good call, Deadfall was given away with Gold around 2020.. I played it for a bit and its a decent game concept, might fit with Indy.
It's a pretty decent game for sure, but it's been 21 years since Emperor's Tomb was released and Indy deserves better and much more memorable game, which I don't think can be done in 1st person - it's like making Tomb Raider or Uncharated games in 1st person and it doesn't make sense.

I mean, we don't know shit about the new Tomb Raider since it was announced (it could already be cancelled altogethers cuz of Embraser's greedy idiots), there's literally zero similar games on the market right now and in the same genre so they won't have ANY competition at all. In any case, we don't have to wait long to see what's up with the game and what it'll be.

I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about in a week or so from now :)

Roberts

I would be pretty disappointed if Indy will be shallow game with focus on style over substance. I get why many people like Uncharted games, but honestly I prefer more reliance towards varied gameplay systems.

But if they will be able to keep storytelling style of Wolfenstein games in Indy, that would be instant upgrade over Uncharted in my books.
Yeah, as much as I love Uncharted 2 and 3 for their adventurous spirit, imitating Uncharted wouldn't make an interesting game in 2024. To be perfectly frank, Tomb Raider reboot trilogy games have more interesting gameplay mechanics than Uncharted. I also love what MachineGames did to Wolfenstein when it comes to storytelling. Finding a story where there was none and maintaining that delicate balance between utterly absurd comic ridiculousness and doomed misery was a masterful touch. They made a great dramatic character out of a meathead, dammit.

So, I'm pretty sure the game is in good hands - developers who don't have to look to previous successes to find inspiration.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

These games are supposed to be stylistic. It's not that the gameplay is shallow by any means, but the style is relatively more prominent.

Indiana Jones himself is essentially a "stylistic" and charismatic character. Everything else about those movies is quite mediocre, except the main character (and the actor) exudes charm.

Uncharted 4 is a beloved game -- commercially and critically successfully -- with a 93 Metacritic score! MachineGames will be gunning to get close to that score. And if they get even a bit closer to it (87+ MC), they will feel they have succeeded.

So if they are gunning for such a high score, they would obviously be trying to replicate a similar formula.

Godot25

Banned
These games are supposed to be stylistic. It's not that the gameplay is shallow by any means, but the style is relatively more prominent.

Indiana Jones himself is essentially a "stylistic" and charismatic character. Everything else about those movies is quite mediocre, except the main character (and the actor) exudes charm.

Uncharted 4 is a beloved game -- commercially and critically successfully -- with a 93 Metacritic score! MachineGames will be gunning to get close to that score. And if they get even a bit closer to it (87+ MC), they will feel they have succeeded.

So if they are gunning for such a high score, they would obviously be trying to replicate a similar formula.
I'm not denying scores or success of Uncharted 4. I was talking more about personal preference for style of game.

I played Uncharted 4 and from 3 hours session probably 45 minutes was actual gameplay. Rest was either cutscenes, QTE or "slow walking while we dump exposition" scenes. I honestly don't want that from Indiana Jones game. Do I want great and highly rated game? Yup. But I don't want to spend more time watching then playing.

Last edited:

Varteras

Sure I read member's of the team weren't happy with the last showing. Not being an accurate representation of what the game looks like, if I'm remembering correctly.

I hope so. I was looking for it to feel like a much smoother, nicer looking, and more interesting Elder Scrolls with a better combat system. For the most part, I felt like I was really looking at just another Elder Scrolls. I've been of the opinion for a long time that Obsidian is a better developer than Bethesda. I really want to see them prove that with Avowed.

Zuzu

I think there'd be a lot more positivity around Avowed if they had have chosen a dark fantasy art style like Elden Ring's art or even something like Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

And I want to see someone just play Hellblade for 10-15 minutes with no cuts. I'm really not interested in going into the developer's offices and hearing about their "vision" for the game. Just show me some vanilla footage of the game being played for a while. No cuts and fancy marketing hype.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
And I want to see someone just play Hellblade for 10-15 minutes with no cuts. I'm really not interested in going into the developer's offices and hearing about their "vision" for the game. Just show me some vanilla footage of the game being played for a while. No cuts and fancy marketing hype.
While I hope we are getting uncut gameplay segment I highly doubt it will be 10-15 minutes. For me most important announcement for this game is release date...

The only thing I will look foward to watch is Indiana Jones, and thats it.
Indiana Jones will be portrayed by that ugly girl from the latest movie that no one likes, also, let’s make it ultra woke. Gamers will surely absolutely love that!

oh and lets bash on the real Indiana Jones all the time as well, the sick old man.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Xbox is on brink of collapse so whatever they talk about is never coming out

Pretty silly thinking to say about a multi billion dollar company that just invest another 70 billion in games. They could run the xbox for another 20 years on what they just spent even if it lost money.

They may shift, they bring out a portable, they may go pc only, they may go multiplatform, they might team up with apple or Nintendo, but with all these huge studios they aren't going anywhere.

samoilaaa

i want to be excited about Avowed , i really do but i just dont think that they can make a proper rpg anymore , im expecting an action adventure game with a leveling system and a basic skill tree like 5-10-15% damage increase , 5-10-15% health increase etc. , maybe some fake decision making like fallout 4 with no real consequence

Roberts

Pretty silly thinking to say about a multi billion dollar company that just invest another 70 billion in games. They could run the xbox for another 20 years on what they just spent even if it lost money.

They may shift, they bring out a portable, they may go pc only, they may go multiplatform, they might team up with apple or Nintendo, but with all these huge studios they aren't going anywhere.
What if I tell you twilo is joking. Of course, he will never admit it!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dance Dancing GIF by Soul Train

clarky

Gold Member
I'm not denying scores or success of Uncharted 4. I was talking more about personal preference for style of game.

I played Uncharted 4 and from 3 hours session probably 45 minutes was actual gameplay. Rest was either cutscenes, QTE or "slow walking while we dump exposition" scenes. I honestly don't want that from Indiana Jones game. Do I want great and highly rated game? Yup. But I don't want to spend more time watching then playing.

Uncharted 4 was boring as shit for the most part. 2 is peak uncharted, that game was fucking awesome.

This could go either way. Will they use Fords likeness? Its not indy without him imo.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I'm pretty sure it's a joke mimicking the ridiculous fanfiction by the numerous clowns in this thread.

Gambit2483

I hope Indiana Jones isn’t first person. I’ll be interested to see if Avowed has improved at all, was not impressed with its last showing.
They got a lot of feedback the last time they showed Avowed. I know they had a reason for its artstyle, but clearly most people weren't feeling it. Hopefully they can find a better middle ground between realistic and cartoonish

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Good catch. I never heard the bit about this game originally being 2022, the possibility of 2024 was a complete surprise for me. MS catches me off guard when they don't announce games 5 years early. :messenger_grinning:

Looks like a really nice year, when you take these three and then add in Stalker 2 and some of the other games hitting GP.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Good catch. I never heard the bit about this game originally being 2022, 2024 was a complete surprise for me. MS catches me off guard when they don't announce games 5 years early. :messenger_grinning:

Looks like a really nice year, when you take these three and then add in Stalker 2 and some of the other games hitting GP.
Court docs said it was a 2022 release that missed the date due to COVID.

//DEVIL//

I don’t mean to be all console warry 12 year old with this shit but…

Imagine if Xbox drops this and then a day or two later Sony announces simply a Bloodborne upgrade to 60fps

Think about the hype difference
Dont care about bloodborne. and judging by the leaked sales numbers? many didn't either.

But assuming it was the best-selling soul game. how is an unlocked frame of an old game better than a brand-new next-gen game made by an amazing dev team?

indie john has its fan base { I am not one of them }. The latest movie made 384 million and it's not even good.

But I am looking for this game because of the dev team behind it.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to be all console warry 12 year old with this shit but…

Imagine if Xbox drops this and then a day or two later Sony announces simply a Bloodborne upgrade to 60fps

Think about the hype difference
I am not buying a PS5 for that shit. I need a PC copy where chromatic aberration can be modded out and proper anti-aliasing can be modded in.

i have no idea what to expect from this studio regarding the narrative direction for this IP.

Tod is the producer right? is he also the written and director?

I dont think Todd is gonna be writer or director.

Its Machine Games so expect video gamey story instead of deep deconstruction of Indi’s character.

I think it could work great story wise if they go nuts like Wolfenstien 2TNC.

Top Bottom