• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

DaGwaphics

Any chance we'll see a new, revised Series X model? 👀

They'd probably wait until later for that. The One S wasn't announced that long before it shipped. I think it was like E3 and then it came out in August. With the refreshes, announcing it early would just make the existing units harder to sell. That's what made the upload incident they had seem like a double oof. So, unless they've run out of the old models earlier than expected (the leak suggested holiday 24), it might not get mentioned. Maybe we'll see the new controller (seemed to be some question about whether or not they were doing that), since that was supposed to be coming earlier in the year. Biggest question I have about the new XSX is if you need a stand to place it horizontal, seems like you would or it would roll away.

The more interesting part of the leak was the next console, is it a standard console, a portable, a streaming hybrid? But it'll probably be a long time before we find out about that.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
AA vs AAA is the biggest difference. Seems like TOW was a rather low budget affair.

This is such a weak argument. I can name countless low-budget games that are better RPGs than The Outer Worlds. Hell, I can even name a space themed RPG made by 2 guys that has better RPG mechanics than The Outer Worlds. What's most insulting is that original creators of Fallout 1 (Cain, Boyarsky) were deeply involved in The Outer Worlds and it seems like even they don't understand what made their previous RPGs great.

That said, I'm still hyped to see Avowed. Call me naive but I still hope they can capture that New Vegas magic. I wonder if they made any changes to the art style, it was awful the last time they've showed the game...

My free time to play all these games...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is there ANY chance we might see Elden Ring DLC trailer in this direct?….Even slight chance?
im-desperate-scooter.gif

Methos#1975

I didn't know they'd released so many behind the scenes as official updates.

I thought there had only been like 3 trailers and then behind the scenes as developer updates.

Proper 12 year old console war you're right.

I'd love a bloodborne pc remake, but yes let's just celebrate remakes constantly and not hype anything new...sounds like a great way to push the industry forward.

Shit on a new potentially exciting game from a respected studio just because its on xbox and hype the shit out of a last gen remake from Sony.

Sounds like the true Sony warrior way.

I can already picture it.
I see no issue celebrating a potential Bloodborne remake over this Indy game. Ultimately Bloodborne is a known quantity, we all know it's a amazing game already and we can be confident that a remake will be equally great. This Indy game isn't a known quantity and frankly on a personal level I didn't find Doom Eternal and Wolfenstien 2 to be nearly as great as the orginals that Machinegames produced so I'm not particularly confident in them any longer. Even less so now that they are under the MS umbrella after seeing Redfall and Star Field.

RickMasters

I see no issue celebrating a potential Bloodborne remake over this Indy game. Ultimately Bloodborne is a known quantity,

Cool….. but why not “celebrate” a “potential” blood borne remake in a “potential” thread about it. It has nothing to do with Indy or this thread. One game is in development….. the other is a figment of your imagination.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I see no issue celebrating a potential Bloodborne remake over this Indy game. Ultimately Bloodborne is a known quantity, we all know it's a amazing game already and we can be confident that a remake will be equally great. This Indy game isn't a known quantity and frankly on a personal level I didn't find Doom Eternal and Wolfenstien 2 to be nearly as great as the orginals that Machinegames produced so I'm not particularly confident in them any longer. Even less so now that they are under the MS umbrella after seeing Redfall and Star Field.

It doesn't need to be a celebrate one over the other....ffs

That's pure pointless warring. Don't we just want good games.

If bloodborne got announced it should be praised and hyped and not turned into "hahahaha that indy games shit and doesn't stand a chance against the all mighty bloodborne" what a pathetic way to be imo.

clarky

Gold Member
I don’t mean to be all console warry 12 year old with this shit but…

Imagine if Xbox drops this and then a day or two later Sony announces simply a Bloodborne upgrade to 60fps

Think about the hype difference
This is like when someone says "I don't mean to be a cunt but........" It doesn't give you license to be a cunt.

What on earth does a theoretical update to a game on another platform have to do with the topic at hand? Answer: Nothing.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there ANY chance we might see Elden Ring DLC trailer in this direct?….Even slight chance?
im-desperate-scooter.gif

No, last years Direct was the 4 games they pre-announced and the 1 surprise (Hi-Fi Rush), and these are all first party games.

For Elden Ring, it's probably gonna be a dedicated State of Play, since Sony had the marketing for ER if I'm not mistaken.

Or maybe Keighley's Summer Games Fest.

RickMasters

Had not heard about that. Show might be even better than I had figured.
They say the game is called kiln and they been working on it for a while apparently. But they put It on hold to put out RAD and psychonaughts 2. They are saying double have two games in development and kiln is the one that gets the shadow drop.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

This may be Xbox's Indiana Jones.
  • The environment and lighting look good -- except for the low-textured walls and some assets.
  • The facial models and facial animations look very bad.
  • I hope there is more footage, other than this, in the show that actually shows a long stretch of raw, unedited gameplay.
Edit: Apparently it's an MK1 footage, not Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

• The environment and lighting look good -- except for the low-textured walls and some assets.
  • I hope there is more footage, other than this, in the show that actually shows a long stretch of raw, unedited gameplay.

Hopefully it has some good whip and pistol combat.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hopefully it has some good whip and pistol combat.
I'm sure MG will get the pistol combat right. But if it is a third-person game (as it should be) then the whip gameplay will be more important than the pistol gameplay, and they really need to get that one right.

They will also have to improve the walking animations; it can often be the difference between a non-janky and janky game in a third-person action-adventure game.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

I hope there is some gameplay between the opening of the crypt until they get to that person in the middle. I'd like to think the idea of Indiana Jones is exploring a crypt and solving some puzzles to get there.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I'm sure MG will get the pistol combat right. But if it is a third-person game (as it should be) then the whip gameplay will be more important than the pistol gameplay, and they really need to get that one right.

They will also have to improve the walking animations; it can often be the difference between a non-janky and janky game in a third-person action-adventure game.

If this game is first person then Microsoft are idiots.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I hope there is some gameplay between the opening of the crypt until they get to that person in the middle. I'd like to think the idea of Indiana Jones is exploring a crypt and solving some puzzles to get there.
The way the video is cut, it is possible that the gameplay segment starts immediately after. And the "mission" is to get to that shield by solving puzzles and avoiding traps.

Ozriel

M$FT

Dude. Go and read the community note on that tweet.

This is a Mortal Kombat 1 cutscene. You got suckered.

How, is the question. Commenters were already pointing out that it’s MK1 12 hours ago.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

That's Johnny Cage on a movie set in MK 1. I thought he just posted that as an example of how Indiana Jones could look, I didn't know people fell for this as a leak haha

Last edited:
Any chance we'll see a new, revised Series X model? 👀
It won't be part of a developer direct for sure. In the first place, there is no point in launching new Series X model right now.

I wonder if the future announcement (if it happens) will be a separate show or some blogpost or something. Or part of CES.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If this forum taught me anything is that nothing is outstanding of realm of possibility if game is not associated with your favourite platform.

Such as not asking why Indiana Jones looks like a dead ringer for Johnny Cage

Now, back to topic 😀

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well, apparently the gameplay after that scene is a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, which I don't think fits Indiana Jones at all.

I kid.

It would certainly be a surprising twist that no one saw coming. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ManaByte

They say the game is called kiln and they been working on it for a while apparently. But they put It on hold to put out RAD and psychonaughts 2. They are saying double have two games in development and kiln is the one that gets the shadow drop.

adamsapple

Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

That's MK11 lol, how can you not know it's Johnny fucking Cage there lol

New footage just leaked from the Direct. I just know that if Xbox expects facial animation like this to cut it in 2024 they are in for a rude awakening.

Outdated visuals, unconvincing Harrison Ford likeness, 6/10 - IGN

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Avowed looked pretty underwhelming last we saw it.

Indy doesn't mean much to me as an IP but I am interested to see what Machine Games has done with it. It's a fine world and character for a AAA video game so there's certainly potential even if I don't think the name is the draw they think it is.

Hellblade is probably the most interesting to me as a product but the recent teases haven't been very exciting.

SantaC

jesus how did you fall for this bait footage?

Ozriel

M$FT
Avowed looked pretty underwhelming last we saw it.

The reaction to Avowed’s reveal was almost 100% fixated on the visuals which can always be tweaked during development.

Gameplay, story/lore/narrative, quest systems etc are way more important for an RPG and hopefully we get more details about those during the Direct, along with a visual boost of course.

Some of the screenshots they’ve released look much better than the trailer, so hopefully that gets tightened up.

adamsapple

My primary interest in Avowed is Obsidian making their own Skyrim, with hookers and blackjack.

The reaction to Avowed’s reveal was almost 100% fixated on the visuals which can always be tweaked during development.

Gameplay, story/lore/narrative, quest systems etc are way more important for an RPG and hopefully we get more details about those during the Direct, along with a visual boost of course.

Some of the screenshots they’ve released look much better than the trailer, so hopefully that gets tightened up.

Indeed.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
TiNG4Wk.jpg

The next IGN EIC in the making :messenger_grinning_sweat:
What part of THIS MAY BE did you guys skip? 😛

Top Bottom