• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 2024 Direct Officially Announced: January 18th (Featuring: Indiana Jones, Avowed, Hellblade)

Cyberpunkd

Season 8 Episode 13 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

2024 year of the Xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hellblade is going to show more behind the scenes crap and no gameplay again aren’t they?

I’ve never wanted a game to piss off more in my life. I can’t wait for it to release so I don’t have to see anymore of it.

People in charge of marketing there need to be replaced.

I didn't know they'd released so many behind the scenes as official updates.

I thought there had only been like 3 trailers and then behind the scenes as developer updates.
I don’t mean to be all console warry 12 year old with this shit but…

Imagine if Xbox drops this and then a day or two later Sony announces simply a Bloodborne upgrade to 60fps

Think about the hype difference

Proper 12 year old console war you're right.

I'd love a bloodborne pc remake, but yes let's just celebrate remakes constantly and not hype anything new...sounds like a great way to push the industry forward.

Shit on a new potentially exciting game from a respected studio just because its on xbox and hype the shit out of a last gen remake from Sony.

Sounds like the true Sony warrior way.

I can already picture it.

Last edited:
I get why many people like Uncharted games, but honestly I prefer more reliance towards varied gameplay systems.

What “varied gameplay systems”? Those found in Starfield that are as deep as as a piece of paper filled with a bunch of time wasting busy work with no payoff?

Major pass, if so. If systems aren’t fun they are a complete waste of time.

What “systems” would you even place in an Indiana Jones game?

Can't wait to see Indy. Its been years since we have any Indy game or a good game other than some Pinball. Given the mad take MachineGames did with Wolfenstein's story Im expecting more madness here. Also hope you get to kill and beat the crap of out more Nazi's too

hlm666

Was suicide squad going to gp known before now? or is it more a recent panic move with the continued negative reactions?

What “varied gameplay systems”? Those found in Starfield that are as deep as as a piece of paper filled with a bunch of time wasting busy work with no payoff?

There is a lot they can do to differentiate from Uncharted games.

Tomb Raider games are hub based, give you choice if you want to progress story or do tombs/crypts/side quests. On top there is upgrade system.

It feels completely different from Uncharted games cause you have freedom to choose what you wanna do and doesn’t funnel you through a story.

Same for Starfield, you have a choice if you wanna engage in systems. Building your character in that game is neither paper thin nor a waste of time.

Godot25

Banned

Lol. I don't know why would you bring Starfield into this conversation, but okay :D

For me an ideal Indiana Jones would be action adventure with world structure more leaning towards Tomb Raider (hub worlds and semi-open world), with huge emphasis on whip and it's physics and creative puzzlesolving with mix of main and side objectives, emphasis on detective work and stealth mechanics and way better balance between cutscenes and gameplay (meaning, less useless cutscenes and more gameplay). And also, less scripted moments and probably more challenging climbing (if there is one).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I'd love a bloodborne pc remake, but yes let's just celebrate remakes constantly and not hype anything new...sounds like a great way to push the industry forward.

Shit on a new potentially exciting game from a new respected studio just because its on xbox and hype the shit out of a last gen remake from Sony.

Christ you are such a baby. It was a hypothetical and I’ve proven many times here that I own and play everything so you can eat my ass.

ManaByte

Was suicide squad going to gp known before now? or is it more a recent panic move with the continued negative reactions?

Where does it say it's going to Game Pass? Sony has a the marketing deal on it, which usually blocks games from Game Pass.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I dont think Todd is gonna be writer or director.

Its Machine Games so expect video gamey story instead of deep deconstruction of Indi’s character.

I think it could work great story wise if they go nuts like Wolfenstien 2TNC.

Yeah, I don't think a good IJ story is going to be 100% dark and serious. The one-liners and that sense of humor are a big part of the OG films.

DaGwaphics

Lol. I don't know why would you bring Starfield into this conversation, but okay :D

For me an ideal Indiana Jones would be action adventure with world structure more leaning towards Tomb Raider (hub worlds and semi-open world), with huge emphasis on whip and it's physics and creative puzzlesolving with mix of main and side objectives, emphasis on detective work and stealth mechanics and way better balance between cutscenes and gameplay (meaning, less useless cutscenes and more gameplay). And also, less scripted moments and probably more challenging climbing (if there is one).

I like the sound of this, let's hope this is the design they went with (especially the better balance between cutscenes and gameplay).

Todd has mentioned this being a lot of different things, it will be interesting to see what ideas they've put together.

hlm666

Where does it say it's going to Game Pass? Sony has a the marketing deal on it, which usually blocks games from Game Pass.
My bad I thought the tweet above was for gamepass as they nicely peppered in things I new were coming to gamepass, to be fair I'm used to whenever I see coming to xbox blah blah it's a gamepass thing, why the hell is that wanker listing 3rd party games everyone new was coming to all platforms like it's something special.

edit: I also didn't know it was a Sony marketing thing.

Last edited:

Because you said “varied gameplay systems”

Tomb raider is hardly different from uncharted other than crafting and skill unlocks

A hub world with linear levels doesn’t radically change the experience

Godot25

Banned
Because you said “varied gameplay systems”

Tomb raider is hardly different from uncharted other than crafting and skill unlocks

A hub world with linear levels doesn’t radically change the experience
Yes it does.

I know that people like to compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider (new trilogy), but outside of general theme of treasure hunting those two games doesn't have too much in common in terms of structure and gameplay systems.
Tomb Raider is semi-open world game (or maybe wide corridor is better term) with RPG progression, has full stealth system, crafting system, side content and balance is way skewed towards gameplay (but it also has plenty of cutscenes).
Uncharted games are linear games with focus on spectacle and cutscenes.

I recently said in this thread. I recently played Uncharted 4 and in one 3 hours session I "played the game" for maybe 45 minutes. Other 2+ hours were cutscenes, slow walk sections and conversations between characters. And I truly don't want that in Indiana Jones.

Yes it does.

I know that people like to compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider (new trilogy), but outside of general theme of treasure hunting those two games doesn't have too much in common in terms of structure and gameplay systems.
Tomb Raider is semi-open world game (or maybe wide corridor is better term) with RPG progression, has full stealth system, crafting system, side content and balance is way skewed towards gameplay (but it also has plenty of cutscenes).
Uncharted games are linear games with focus on spectacle and cutscenes.

I recently said in this thread. I recently played Uncharted 4 and in one 3 hours session I "played the game" for maybe 45 minutes. Other 2+ hours were cutscenes, slow walk sections and conversations between characters. And I truly don't want that in Indiana Jones.

The problem is that tomb raider has fairly poor gunplay, and the tack on “systems” don’t add much over a straight third person shooter. It’s not an RPG at all

So it still largely feels like a linear shooter, with a hub. With an awful story and less impressive set piece moments.

Uncharted 4 certainly has pacing flaws but it’s a more compelling experience

If they truly want to make a unique experience they need to revisit tomb raider’s roots where puzzles and difficult platforming were a much larger emphasis

I don’t mean to be all console warry 12 year old with this shit but…

Imagine if Xbox drops this and then a day or two later Sony announces simply a Bloodborne upgrade to 60fps

Think about the hype difference
After I witnessed grown men literally crying on their livestreams during E3 2015 because of a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announcement, I discovered that I don't give two-shits what influencers or media outlets determine is hype or not.

i want to be excited about Avowed , i really do but i just dont think that they can make a proper rpg anymore , im expecting an action adventure game with a leveling system and a basic skill tree like 5-10-15% damage increase , 5-10-15% health increase etc. , maybe some fake decision making like fallout 4 with no real consequence
What would be a reason for them not being able to make a proper RPG. Any talent left?

samoilaaa

Not want to dwell on this too much, but you probably know that The Outer Worlds and Avowed teams are separate, right?
And I don't mean that there is zero overlap, but...they are different teams.
TOW team started making The Outer Worlds 2 after they finished making DLC for TOW.
we shall wait and see , not long until the deep dive

RickMasters

I didn't know they'd released so many behind the scenes as official updates.

I thought there had only been like 3 trailers and then behind the scenes as developer updates.

Shit on a new potentially exciting game from a respected studio just because its on xbox and hype the shit out of a last gen remake from Sony.

Michael Jordan Dunk GIF by NBA

RickMasters

Yup. I'm fully expecting State of Decay 3, Perfect Dark and Gears 6 at summer showcase.
Will be nice to finally see Perfect dark. State of decay 3 should be solid. Gears is gears.

I’d imagine there will be more footage of avowed and clockwork revolution by summer too.

I’d also like to see some huge forza updates/ expansions for motorsport ( that game needs some quality of life improvements while they are at it) and a new location expansion for FH5.

Godot25

Banned
Will be nice to finally see Perfect dark. State of decay 3 should be solid. Gears is gears.

I’d imagine there will be more footage of avowed and clockwork revolution by summer too.

I’d also like to see some huge forza updates/ expansions for motorsport ( that game needs some quality of life improvements while they are at it) and a new location expansion for FH5.
It will be interesting because I'm expecting Avowed, Hellblade 2 and ARA to be out by the time of next big showcase.
In my (ideal) scenario it will look something like that:
February: ARA History Untold
March: Avowed
May: Hellblade 2
Summer: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 and Towerborne
September - October: Indiana Jones
November: Call of Duty Gulf War

+ obvious WoW and Diablo IV expansions sprinkled in.

So summer showcase should be about having a concrete date for Indiana Jones and also to show games that are missing an update for a long time like Contraband, Everwild, State of Decay 3 and Perfect Dark. Throw in Gears 6 and we are more than fine.

I think that next time we will see Clockwork Revolution and South of Midnight is Developer Direct 2025 since I don't think any of those games will be out this year.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Does anyone really think we're getting classic, OG Indiana Jones, considering how much influence Disney will have had over this game?

Come on people. It's Disney.

I'll be amazed if you don't spend half the game playing as fucking Fleabag.

Jesb

I think there could be alot of potential as a less expensive game in 2D. Not to say that’s what this game should be. But just another game and another take on it.

samoilaaa

more weapon variety , exploring tombs that have good puzzles and rewarding with useful loot , improved environmental storytelling to help guide the player instead of filling map with markers or just push a button to find where you need to go , non-linear level design that means adding more ways to reach your objective , you things that are fun instead of watching a cutscene every 20 minutes

Top Bottom