• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox hardware revenue down 42%, content and services up by 61% last quarter

Nydius

X Box isn’t going anywhere

They're going somewhere alright. To Third Party Land.
Right after they change their entire gaming division name to Activision-Blizzard because that's, quite literally, the only thing keeping them afloat.

Hilarious you think there's going to be a next Xbox when their current one has seen a 30% drop and a 40% drop in the SAME fiscal year. Xbox hardware is dead and buried. Better come to terms with that now and save some grief later.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I'm going to be honest I'm not surprised I've said it for a long time on this forum. They want to become the Netflix of gaming that's all they care about that's why they're buying up everyone they want you to turn on your smart TV or any device just like recently with the fire stick and just connect to the Xbox app and play, pay them a subscription fee that's all they care about.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think that's it for the traditional Xbox console.

I know Microsoft have said they have a powerhouse console in the works, but I can't see it being released.

They'll probably just take a gamble on a handheld, but no more home consoles.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
%42 decline in hardware is fucking insane and is likely ringing alarm bells at MS HQ.

No wonder everything is getting cut to the bone now.

Price cut means they sell more units but stay at the same or less revenue.
While its a big number didn't we just hear a couple of months ago PS hardware was down like 30%?

The rush isn't there anymore

Maybe I am thinking something else about that 30% number

Regardless imagine at Castle Green they see these numbers and think "Oh lets release the same consoles but lets make them white, that will fix sales"

Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

jm89

it could. Sony lets other third party subscriptions on their platform.
It would have to be massively neutered, like no day one releases.

Sony do allow ea play, but there isn't any day one games so it doesn't eat into sales alot.

The other thing is MS will still be seen as a competitor, sony would be giving a competitor a massive growth potential that could end up biting Sony in the ass.

Last edited:
Don't forget that costs of running Xbox division ballooned along with this merger, so good luck with staying in the green too.
that too.

the culture clash, power struggles between Xbox´s and ABK´s executives. Senior devs leaving their studios, a completely contradictory PHIL-osophy between Game Pass and selling games.... etcetera.....

that company is a fucking mess.

Astray

While its a big number didn't we just hear a couple of months ago PS hardware was down like 30%?

Maybe I am thinking something else about that 30% number

Regardless imagine at Castle Green they see these numbers and think "Oh lets release the same consoles but lets make them white, that will fix sales"

Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight
This is a %42 drop that's being compared against a prior %40 drop same quarter last year.

Sony's drops are being compared against a record year of sales.

And I fully agree about the new Xbox console variants, those won't move the needle especially against a PS5 pro.

Last edited:

Jaybe

With ABK included and hardware falling off a cliff, hardware is probably less than 10% of MS Gaming’s revenue now. Someone usually posts a split on Twitter, so I’ll post if I see it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is a %42 drop that's being compared against a prior %40 drop same quarter last year.

Sony's drops are being compared against a record year of sales.
MS knew these numbers were going to be bad its why people have been talking more about the next xbox, which its always whats next for them

I wont watch him but have been told Mr Green himself Colt Eastwood is pretty spot on with his latest video on what the next Xbox likely looks like

Mownoc

There's a huge difference. PlayStation's Jan-March 2023, which is the quarter with the big yoy drop, was one of the best for any console in that equivalent quarter ever and as far as I'm aware 2023 as a whole was the 2nd best year for any playstation console ever too.

Meanwhile 2023 for Xbox Series was a poor year and declining 42% from that is a train wreck.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Explain to me like I'm 5 why they're releasing more expensive hardware later in the year.

To rinse the fuck out of what remains of their fanbase on console with more lies and fake dreams.

At least that way they can keep them locked in to higher priced subscriptions vs what they would pay on PC, all of which also involve them having to pay for the privilege of playing games online.

As long as ~10 million people purchase whatever they come up with and they can dangle some sort of carrot in front of their faces for another 4-5 years to keep them locked in then they will be laughing.

Darsxx82

For reference, I pulled up all of Microsoft's public financial reports so people could have accurate debating points.

Xbox hardware declines per quarter in FY24:
Q1: -7%
Q2: -9%
Q3: -31%
Q4: -42%
And the diference FY2023 vs FY2024 is "only" a 13% drop.

The figures are relative as you see them. Sales in each quarter are not correlative.

Nydius

And the diference FY2023 vs FY2024 is "only" a 13% drop.

The figures are relative as you see them. Sales in each quarter are not correlative.

Okay, I know the part in bold, but what is your point? Xbox's hardware in 2023 was abysmal and declined over 2022. 2022 declined over 2021. And now 2024 has significantly declined over 2023. That's not a picture of a healthy division. We're not talking about Microsoft selling record numbers of consoles and then it was all downhill from there. Recent time-adjusted sales figures show the Series S and X have been selling worse than the Xbox One since launch.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
After hours for MSFT stock is not hot right now. No one liking the miss on Azure it seems.

Humdinger

If ABK’s prior year was added in, total MS Gaming + ABK would be down 12%

Gotcha. I was just responding to the figures in the OP.

I was trying to make the point that we since we don't know about operating expenses, we don't know about profit, just revenue. Granted, this is always the case but sometimes bears repeating, especially when operating expenses are likely much higher than they were before.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
One of you still get it. Xbox is a platform now, consoles and PC. They have the largest install base by default. They’ve said over and over and over again there will be a next gen Xbox, all their games on PC, they are even adding streaming shit like fire stick.

MS doesn’t care to put sell Sony or Nintendo in game consoles, they are expanding and making more money than ever.
X Box isn’t going anywhere
Phil Spencer's PR has trained you well.

Darsxx82

Weren't they down last year?
I am referring to the relativity of the figures. If you look at the global drop year-on-year, it certainly isn't nearly as shocking vs how he shows it. since the sales figures in the different periods are not correlative. Among other things because the periods of greatest sales are concentrated in other Q's.
The extent of the decline will be better appreciated in the figures for the next Q1 and Q2.

Elios83

Xbox hardware is dead.
The rest is basically inflated by the Activision revenues boost, this will be over in a few months as well.

Mr Moose

I am referring to the relativity of the figures. If you look at the global drop year-on-year, it certainly isn't nearly as shocking vs how he shows it. since the sales figures in the different periods are not correlative. Among other things because the periods of greatest sales are concentrated in other Q's.
The extent of the decline will be better appreciated in the figures for the next Q1 and Q2.
Last year
Q1 +13%
Q2 -13%
Q3 -30%
Q4 -13%

Q4 (this year) is -42% from -13% same period last year. That's pretty shocking.

Top Bottom