• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Scrawnton

Not sure if this issue has been posted but when I let my Xbox handle 4K upscaling it makes my games look very blurry on my tv. I have to put the display setting back to 1080p and let me tv do the upscaling and it looks fantastic.

I don't know if anyone had this issue but it seems the upscaler in the Xbox doesn't work well with my tv and the built in Samsung upscaled is much better.

Looks like the Xbox One S is using gDDR3.

The ifixit tear down identifies the ram as Samsung SEC 549 K4W4G16 (K4W4G16 46EBC1A from the photo). From the Samsung Product Guide this is 2133/2400 or 1800/2133 gDDR3 depending on the voltage.

Edit: 2133 gDDR3 since it is 1A, thus 1.5 volts

Edit 2: Looking further into Samsung's naming conventions it looks like gDDR3 is still DDR3, but it can be used in applications where GDDR3 is used. So gDDR3 is a Samsung product vs GDDR3 which is a standard.

ZOONAMI

Looks like the Xbox One S is using gDDR3.

The ifixit tear down identifies the ram as Samsung SEC 549 K4W4G16 (K4W4G16 46EBC1A from the photo). From the Samsung Product Guide this is 2133/2400 or 1800/2133 gDDR3 depending on the voltage.

What!? Does gddr3 work in the same way as gddr5? Like it it really running at 5000mhz or so?

This would dramatically improve mem bandwith right?

Edit: mem multiplier on gddr3 is 2, and 4 on gddr5. If it is gddr2133 does that mean actual speed is 4266?

dcx4610

So what's the process of trading in a system to GameStop? I have an original Xbox One with a few digital titles. I assume they'll wipe the console. Will all my digital games be linked to my account?

Also, how is trading a console in at GameStop? Does it take forever?

Xbox One S does look sexy as hell.

They need the console, controller and HDMI cable and you'll get $150. Before you sell, remove your gamer tag from the system and then wipe the system. If you registered your system, make sure to also remove it from account.microsoft.com

When you get the new system, you sign in with your gamer tag and you can re-download your digital games.

Are all of your other settings except for the first one Red Circles with the Slash? The one and only setting I have that is a Green Check Mark is the first one. Nothing else.
I too have the Yellow Triangle with Exclamation with the HDR. It is a bug I am guessing. The rest of the settings are a no go.

I am under the impression that means 4K BluRays are pointless for myself. Just simply being upscaled. Am I wrong here? I would love to be wrong, so someone please tell me that I am. But my understanding is without any of those other settings also green check marks, that means 4K UHD BluRays will not be displaying as they actually could, and should be, displaying.

As far as a 2TB HDD, I had an external drive with 2TB on my previous One, so that is not really a must have to me either. Finally 6 extra frames per second, while nice, is not something I personally care about.

So very cool you are happy with it. I was just sharing my opinion knowing what TV he has that I also have, I am not really sure it is worth picking up right now.

EDIT - And again, to reiterate, it is my own damn fault. A little research would have went a long way. I just assumed a TV from last year would support everything except HDR.

If you have a legit 4k UHD disc it should be displaying 2160p on our sets. Just no HDR. Now if you stick in a normal bluray it will upscale it. I'm still stoked to be getting such a combo: xbox/UHD player

sadromeo

Are all of your other settings except for the first one Red Circles with the Slash? The one and only setting I have that is a Green Check Mark is the first one. Nothing else.
I too have the Yellow Triangle with Exclamation with the HDR. It is a bug I am guessing. The rest of the settings are a no go.

I am under the impression that means 4K BluRays are pointless for myself. Just simply being upscaled. Am I wrong here? I would love to be wrong, so someone please tell me that I am. But my understanding is without any of those other settings also green check marks, that means 4K UHD BluRays will not be displaying as they actually could, and should be, displaying.

As far as a 2TB HDD, I had an external drive with 2TB on my previous One, so that is not really a must have to me either. Finally 6 extra frames per second, while nice, is not something I personally care about.

So very cool you are happy with it. I was just sharing my opinion knowing what TV he has that I also have, I am not really sure it is worth picking up right now.

EDIT - And again, to reiterate, it is my own damn fault. A little research would have went a long way. I just assumed a TV from last year would support everything except HDR.

I am in the same boat as you and other guy, buying a 2015 Vizio 4k TV with no HDR support and also tempted to get the Xbox 1 S. I am tempted so much that I am this close to buying a 55" Samsung just to take advantage of the 4K HDR feature.

However, I am curious how 4K UHD blu-rays would play on the Xbox 1S with no HDR. Would they be upscaled from 1080p or would they play at 2160 just without the HDR goodness? You could always trying playing a 4K UHD on your Xbox 1S and if you happen to have a PS4 or other blu ray player without 4K and try playing it again, you might be able to see if there is any difference between the two. Basically you can compare how 4K UHD Blu-rays look on the X1S on your TV against how it looks using a standard Blu-ray player and see if it makes a difference.

I for one would like to know if it makes a huge difference because I will get the 55" 4K Sammy if it doesn't.

I did not even want the X1S until I started reading this thread too... let alone another 4K tv and trying to explain to the GF why I need another TV and to go further into debt...

ZOONAMI

I am in the same boat as you and other guy, buying a 2015 Vizio 4k TV with no HDR support and also tempted to get the Xbox 1 S. I am tempted so much that I am this close to buying a 55" Samsung just to take advantage of the 4K HDR feature.

However, I am curious how 4K UHD blu-rays would play on the Xbox 1S with no HDR. Would they be upscaled from 1080p or would they play at 2160 just without the HDR goodness? You could always trying playing a 4K UHD on your Xbox 1S and if you happen to have a PS4 or other blu ray player without 4K and try playing it again, you might be able to see if there is any difference between the two. Basically you can compare how 4K UHD Blu-rays look on the X1S on your TV against how it looks using a standard Blu-ray player and see if it makes a difference.

I for one would like to know if it makes a huge difference because I will get the 55" 4K Sammy if it doesn't.

I did not even want the X1S until I started reading this thread too... let alone another 4K tv and trying to explain to the GF why I need another TV and to go further into debt...

The revenant is running at 2160p on my non hdr 65 inch panasonic and it is glorious.

I ordered mad max and Deadpool and I'll be checking out the difference on my non hdr 4k tv. Probably go back and fourth between my ps4 and X1 S seeing if the difference is big enough

Hawk269

They will play at 2160p, but without the HDR. I just tested this for you by disabling the HDR in the options on the Xbox One S. I then started a UHD Movie and it displays fine at 4k resolution. So you are good to go with your 4k set even without HDR.

I didn't think you could play 4k blu ray disc in a regular blu ray player?

FrankT

They will play at 2160p, but without the HDR. I just tested this for you by disabling the HDR in the options on the Xbox One S. I then started a UHD Movie and it displays fine at 4k resolution. So you are good to go with your 4k set even without HDR.

Good. Been wondering about this. Was this on a 2015 Vizio?

ZOONAMI

Yeah I dunno man. TVs are the one thing I don't upgrade often because they depreciate soooo fast and they are a pain in the ass to sell, craigslist is really the only option unless you have a friend or relative who is interested, and half of craigslist is just scam screening. I doubt I can even get $800 for my 65 inch 4k 3d panny that I paid $1800 for 2 years ago. If you are happy with your picture quality just hold on to your set. Also the panny has great 3d. Honestly it's as impressive as 4k, just for another dimension ;) The 3d 4k sets are still pretty expensive. I honestly plan on having this set for around 10 years, or more. Might be relegated to a man cave set eventually.

dcx4610

Damn it. Missed out on a deal for the LG Electronics 55UH8500 for $969 shipped.

I think it's probably the best TV to pair with the One S. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR Support, 6ms response time and one of the few TVs 4ks that still supports 3D.

ZOONAMI

I think it's probably the best TV to pair with the One S. Both HDR10 and Dolby Vision HDR Support, 6ms response time and one of the few TVs 4ks that still supports 3D.

Yeah, 3d blu-rays are dope. People's minds are more blown by Dredd 3D than than 4k netflix honestly. People are pretty blown away by that 4k netflix oceans demo though. I think that 4k blu-rays will blow some peoples minds though too. Revenant really did make my jaw drop too.

It legit has become why the hell would I go to a movie theater? lol.

I watched the UHD of The Martian on my Sony X940C and it looks amazing. I'm not sure why but it looks a bit better than the Netflix and Amazon 4K offerings and the limited programming that Direct TV currently shows. The only complaint I have for the One S is that it's locked up twice while navigating menus, something that never happened to me on the OG Xbox One.

Not for all apps from what I've read. I'll look into it again. I have some 4K music videos I can test with.

I don't know what you mean by all apps, I'm just talking about Plex. I'm watching a 4k stream right now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81hc20m51qgr4cj/2016-08-03 20.12.14.jpg?dl=0

Netflix 4k is working for me but not amazon or vudu, which honestly does suck, because they worked on my roku 4 that I sold to get this.

Hmm. Maybe I need to delete the Netflix app or something to force it to notice?

ZOONAMI

I watched the UHD of The Martian on my Sony X940C and it looks amazing. I'm not sure why but it looks a bit better than the Netflix and Amazon 4K offerings and the limited programming that Direct TV currently shows. The only complaint I have for the One S is that it's locked up twice while navigating menus, something that never happened to me on the OG Xbox One.

The compression from streaming makes it more like 1080p plus. Nothing better than straight from a disc. Honestly a 1080p blu-ray is pretty close to streaming 4k, in my experience.

Terrible lightbleed issues and HDR looks bad due to poor local dimming. I returned it for the Vizio P Series.

sadromeo

Thanks for the responses guys! I guess I will be picking up the X1S for sure (even though I have the OG X1) and the revenant UHD blu-ray as my first test. I have to see how good this looks.

I will decide then if I should get the 55" Sammy anyway since I do see the Scorpio and PS Neo in my future as well.

Are the 2TB X1S's sold out everywhere or can I just pull up to a BB or GS and do a walk-in purchase?

ZOONAMI

I bought the Sony XBR-65X850B about 1.5 years ago and is an awesome 4K set. Stinks that it doesn't do HBR10, but two of the HDMIs I believe are HDCP 2.2 would I still enjoy some of the benefits of UHD BD's?

ZOONAMI

Thanks for the responses guys! I guess I will be picking up the X1S for sure (even though I have the OG X1) and the revenant UHD blu-ray as my first test. I have to see how good this looks.

I will decide then if I should get the 55" Sammy anyway since I do see the Scorpio and PS Neo in my future as well.

Are the 2TB X1S's sold out everywhere or can I just pull up to a BB or GS and do a walk-in purchase?

Probably getting close to sold out. Got mine from best buy last night and me and another guy got the last 2. I did see one at target getting groceries today though.

Also from the ifixit tear down the 8GB of flash memory used for caching went from eMMC 4.5 to eMMC 5.0 (250 MB/s vs 140 MB/s read, 90 MB/s vs 50 MB/s write, same read IOPS, 13000 vs 2000 write IOPS) which probably explains why the system loads faster and feels snapper.

mantis23

Ok GAF, I am absolutely befuddled right now and have nowhere else to turn. I picked up my Xbox One S yesterday and have been having a great time with it but just discovered the most mind boggling issue.

I get no audio from any Blu Ray discs.

Now, that is not to say I get no audio from ANY discs. I have watched a few 4K UHD Blu rays with no issues. I checked a DVD Disc, works great. But Ive tried probably 15 different regular old blu ray discs and I haven't been able to get audio from any of them.

No issues anywhere else either, games, apps, streaming. All fine. Only blu rays.

I've tried going through my receiver over optical...nothing.
I've tried going through my TV directly over HDMI....nothing.
Ive tried both 5.1 and stereo....nothing.

It really shouldn't bother me at all, I have three other devices capable of playing blu rays movies on this TV alone. but for some reason its driving me crazy.

Any thoughts? am I missing something totally obvious?

ZOONAMI

I bought the Sony XBR-65X850B about 1.5 years ago and is an awesome 4K set. Stinks that it doesn't do HBR10, but two of the HDMIs I believe are HDCP 2.2 would I still enjoy some of the benefits of UHD BD's?

Yeah. Part of me thinks some of these cheaper hdr sets aren't any better than a non hdr set that has a better panel. A lot of reports of led hdr sets not looking that great with hdr anyway as its better suited for oled.

My panasonic ax800u looks close to a plasma with it's blacks, and I don't think I would get that with a vizio or lg.

You could try that. It might be that netflix and or ms needs to work on some updates. If they don't add amazon and vudu support soon I may return this and just get the samsung player honestly.

I hope it's not because I don't have HDR on my TV. It's a 2014 4k TV. :-/

ZOONAMI

Can anyone recommend a 4k monitor with HDR10 support? Do they even exist? I searched newegg for "HDR10" and it came back with zero results...

I don't believe there are any hdr monitors yet. In fact the only monitor I know of that even has hdcp 2.2 is the aoc 28 inch, which happens to be very cheap. Best option right now would be a 40ish inch 4k hdr set, if those exist.

Yeah. Part of me thinks some of these cheaper hdr sets aren't any better than a non hdr set that has a better panel. A lot of reports of led hdr sets not looking that great with hdr anyway as its better suited for oled.

My panasonic ax800u looks close to a plasma with it's blacks, and I don't think I would get that with a vizio or lg.

I had a 50" Panny G20 before buying this Sony which had cost me about $2500 at the time. It was hard jumping off of a plasma, but I wanted a larger TV and these 4K sets with such an excellent scaler really makes 1080p content look even better. I love this set that I have, but the thought that HDR in our movies and games is enticing. I just don't think I can even get $1K for this set to jump to a X850D.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So Phil Spencer straight up lied again about this not being more powerful.
1) advertise that it's more powerful; consumers buy it and it makes very little difference (+5-10 fps); consumers get angry being lied to
2) advertise that it's not more powerful; lied to consumers about a slight boost
He chose the lesser of two evils.

ZOONAMI

1) advertise that it's more powerful; consumers buy it and it makes very little difference (+5-10 fps); consumers get angry being lied to
2) advertise that it's not more powerful; lied to consumers about a slight boost
He chose the lesser of two evils.

Third option would be to clock this thing at like 1200mhz and potentially match or surpass ps4 which really would have pissed off current xbox one owners who won't upgrade, but honestly they might sell more units if they went that route. Then the xbox diehards would feel superiorish again. lol.

That huge fan and heatsink honestly i think it would be no problem for this thing to hit 1200mhz clocks.

ZOONAMI

I had a 50" Panny G20 before buying this Sony which had cost me about $2500 at the time. It was hard jumping off of a plasma, but I wanted a larger TV and these 4K sets with such an excellent scaler really makes 1080p content look even better. I love this set that I have, but the thought that HDR in our movies and games is enticing. I just don't think I can even get $1K for this set to jump to a X850D.

Yeah, I really do wish this was more of a bump to the point that most xbox titles coming out would be able to do 1080p. The ps4 upscaled looks so much better than the xbox, in general.

Would be kind of a shitty move to the 20mil xbox one owners, but if you can sell 20 million+ xbox one s partly because everything going forward can do 1080p, even if it tanks performance on the gen 1 systems, I'd say do it. Or just tell the xbox one owners to set to 720p, because that's all you're really playing at anyway.

Could completely backfire though and everyone says fuck you ms, selling my xbox and getting a ps4. The neo on the horizon further complicates things.

I dunno, I'm completely platform indifferent. I like my ps4, and will get a neo when it comes out. I know that not everyone has the means to just say "why not both."

dcx4610

Terrible lightbleed issues and HDR looks bad due to poor local dimming. I returned it for the Vizio P Series.

You may have just sold me based on the reviews I'm reading. I'd miss not having 3D anymore but it looks like it's getting phased out anyway. Full LED backlit array will really make HDR stand out.

DirtyLarry

The revenant is running at 2160p on my non hdr 65 inch panasonic and it is glorious.
Are you 100% sure it is not upscaling 1080p? I am legit asking, as my non 4K UHD copy of Deadpool also displays at 2160p, the One upscales it to 2160p. And it looks good no doubt, I was just hoping I was going to experience native 2160p.

If you have a legit 4k UHD disc it should be displaying 2160p on our sets. Just no HDR. Now if you stick in a normal bluray it will upscale it. I'm still stoked to be getting such a combo: xbox/UHD player
Okay, this is good to know. I thought because all of the other settings were the Red Circle with the Line through it, it meant we actually would not be seeing native resolution with a 4K UHD disk. If this is the case I am not as disappointed. This is where I am still confused. I thought we had to have at least one of the settings checked off to actually take advantage of true 4K BluRays.

I am seeing if GameFly has any 4K BluRays to rent and if not I will probably pick one up. Perhaps either Deadpool or The Revenant as I do own both in the standard BluRay. I will happily report back once I do.

Mine stopped doing that last night. It only did it for a few hours when i first booted the system up.

Ok cool, Ive pretty much just turned it on and started redownloading a bunch of games so far. I wish they would download at like 700mb/s like my steam does, this 35ish is brutal, haha.

Top Bottom