• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Colbert

Banned
Just for those wanting to wait for a 4K TV.

HDMI 2.1 certification of Xbox One X is underway as soon the specs are finalized!

kommt.jpg

HDMI 2.1 certification of Xbox One X is underway as soon the specs are finalized!

kommt.jpg

Please tell me what this means in practice for me?

The biggest loss from my upgrade to a B6 was that I can't pass through my 4k Sky TV signal in the UK.

Does this help?! If not, what's the point?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

kommt.jpg

For those of us with a KS8000, I can't find anything which says Samsung will be able to update this kind of set to HDMI 2.1 via Firmware update. Great for owners of sets that do/will be able to support it though :D

Please tell me what this means in practice for me?

The biggest loss from my upgrade to a B6 was that I can't pass through my 4k Sky TV signal in the UK.

Does this help?! If not, what's the point?

Pass trough what?
What is your setup?
But no, this news won't change anything with your problem.

wolgoen

So if the Xbox One X Standard edition will be available for pre-order in September how many of those have pre-ordered the Scorpio Edition will switch over to the Standard Edition?

I am still undecided!

Stick with the Scorpio version, it will be worth more to collectors in the future. Look back at old consoles, any special editions are worth more because they are limited in quantity.

Darklor01

You think? Then make one, I will not make a thread again so fast as I still have to handle the repercussions of the now famous "RotTR graphics comaprison" thread LOL

I'd wait until cert. passes before putting up a thread and being prepared to inform what it is and possible which TVs will support it and what the cable requirements would be.

Pass trough what?
What is your setup?
But no, this news won't change anything with your problem.

Bah. Thanks.

I hate having to find the TV control as it is mainly used for changing inputs. I loved the OG One when I had a 1080p TV. I am soooo lazy.

Edit: Sorry. You asked about setup. Sky Q (4k channel options) into B6 OLED. XBS into B6. Cheap soundbar optical from TV pending upgrade to something Atmos. No AV. I simply want to run the Sky 4k feed through the Scorpio and to the TV. That seems to be too much to ask. A premium box designed for 4k but can't pass through 4k/UHD. I'm not techy so don't know why.

Colbert

Banned
I'm scared and I'm on my phone on the way to work. Do it Colbert!

Will not do it as I am not certain this is thread worthy, tbh. Volunteers are welcome ;)

Stick with the Scorpio version, it will be worth more to collectors in the future. Look back at old consoles, any special editions are worth more because they are limited in quantity.

I could pre-order both editions as I have a bottleneck in money ;) Maybe thats the best solution to trade in the OG and the One S. Decisions decisions ...

I don't really like the green text and the gradient bothers me even more. Plus I don't need a vertical stand. I'd like to see it in person though if I'm able.

I have one at both Amazon and Gamestop in case one didn't go through.

Ah dang... If there were some weird way you could transfer the Gamestop order to me I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Darklor01

I don't really like the green text and the gradient bothers me even more. Plus I don't need a vertical stand. I'd like to see it in person though if I'm able.

Wonder if anyone here knows the answer to this. Are the ones on display at Microsoft Stores the Scorpio edition or standard version/demo model without these features? If it is the Scorpio Edition, then perhaps you could visit one of those stores.

You think? Then make one, I will not make a thread again so fast as I still have to handle the repercussions of the now famous "RotTR graphics comaprison" thread LOL

Hee hee :) To be fair you did pick the first detailed Pro versus 1X video, which was bound to cause some friendly badinage...and to top it off it also showed the 1X being better than the best PC settings...

It's like lobbing several trays of free shots into a bar full of thirsty students...at best it will be funny, at worst it will be carnage, with a large dry cleaning bill.

gamz

Hee hee :) To be fair you did pick the first detailed Pro versus 1X video, which was bound to cause some friendly badinage...and to top it off it also showed the 1X being better than the best PC settings...

It's like lobbing several trays of free shots into a bar full of thirsty students...at best it will be funny, at worst it will be carnage, with a large dry cleaning bill.

Students don't dry clean their clothes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd agree with this, easily the best looking tv outside of OLED, that i have seen. Better than the new Samsung QLED range too. It's disappointing that they discontinued it.

The KS8000 is outstanding, the Sony X900E and X930E have usurped it.

If I could afford those TVs I would get them in a heartbeat.

In terms of value the TCL P607 (P605) though are impossible to beat.

Students don't dry clean their clothes.

Depends on the Uni :) (or college or whatever it's called in the US)

Totally agree though - I should have just left it at "cleaning bill".

I was mainly thinking about cleaning the Bar rather than the students as well, so I've failed on multiple levels...ho hum.

Wonder if anyone here knows the answer to this. Are the ones on display at Microsoft Stores the Scorpio edition or standard version/demo model without these features? If it is the Scorpio Edition, then perhaps you could visit one of those stores.

The one on display at the stores is just the standard edition. Everything I've seen shows that the gradient stands out in natural or darker lighting. If you for some reason shine a light on your Xbox, it isn't as noticeable.

I'd agree with this, easily the best looking tv outside of OLED, that i have seen. Better than the new Samsung QLED range too. It's disappointing that they discontinued it.

For anyone who hasn't been paying attention to TV tech, it looks like we're seeing a bunch of new manufacturers jump on the OLED bandwagon this year. If you don't have a 4K TV at the moment, it could be worth waiting as that tech will definitely get cheaper and current models will go on sale. After seeing the LG OLED sets in person, I don't feel I can justify buying anything else as my next TV.

gamz

I was mainly thinking about cleaning the Bar rather than the students as well, so I've failed on multiple levels...ho hum.

I liked where you were going with it. Clever.

MaulerX

kommt.jpg

Doesn't the hardware have to support it to begin with? And he says hopefully by November so that's going to be an added launch treat if it happens then. Only problem is it throws a monkey wrench on my 4K TV buying plans!

Colbert

Banned

I payed for dry cleaning when I was studying.

shanafan

I really hope Microsoft addresses users upgrading from an OG Xbox One to the X, and who still want to use their Kinect.

The Xbox One S at launch came with a free limited time promotion for a free cable that would allow you to use the Kinect with the S. Hoping for the same..

Colbert

Banned
Doesn't the hardware have to support it to begin with? And he says hopefully by November so that's going to be an added launch treat if it happens then. Only problem is it throws a monkey wrench on my 4K TV buying plans!

HDMi can be updated by firmware within a major release (derived from the past). You were able to update from 1.0->1.2->1.3->1.4 but not 1.4 -> 2.0. As this is 2.0b -> 2.1 I have no doubt that even 2017 TV models could receive an update (me hoping 2016 models too).

I really hope Microsoft addresses users upgrading from an OG Xbox One to the X, and who still want to use their Kinect.

The Xbox One S at launch came with a free limited time promotion for a free cable that would allow you to use the Kinect with the S. Hoping for the same..

I got that cable earlier this year still, going from One to One S. I hope they pro-long that offer for One X users going directly from One.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So if the Xbox One X Standard edition will be available for pre-order in September how many of those have pre-ordered the Scorpio Edition will switch over to the Standard Edition?

I am still undecided!

If you have the opportunity to get the Scorpio edition you should get it.

I personally couldn't care less about a few words written on my controller and console.

I would have been more intrigued if they had made it a different color and or given it a retro/original Xbox look.

Colbert

Banned

I personally couldn't care less about a few words written on my controller and console.

I would have been more intrigued if they had made it a different color and or given it a retro/original Xbox look.

The original Xbox look like the actual cardboard box would have been amazing! I am not so much bothered with the font, it is more the color gradient and especially the edges and the result in contrast to the dark edge of the console. This is a look I associate with cheap IKEA furniture (tables ...).

I haven't quite understood the hate for the controller. It really doesn't look that bad to me! It also helps that I already have an Xbox Design Lab controller, so I was never going to use the one that comes in the box anyway.

MaulerX

HDMi can be updated by firmware within a major release (derived from the past). You were able to update from 1.0->1.2->1.3->1.4 but not 1.4 -> 2.0. As this is 2.0b -> 2.1 I have no doubt that even 2017 TV models could receive an update (me hoping 2016 models too).

Awesome thanks. Good news then!

Darklor01

The one on display at the stores is just the standard edition. Everything I've seen shows that the gradient stands out in natural or darker lighting. If you for some reason shine a light on your Xbox, it isn't as noticeable.

It's interesting. Amazon.com(I think) and some other retailers allow for returns, without penalty, even if the box is open. If that's true, I suppose you could get it, open it, see how it is, and return it to those retailers for a full refund if true.

Darklor01

HDMI can be updated by firmware IF the chipset in the TV supports it. There is a rather large conversation going on regarding sets like the Samsung KS8000 and a possible update for example, and I can't turn up a statement from Samsung saying it can be updated. I think I read that 2015 Samsung sets have a chipset which could be updated via firmware update, but not a solid answer on that, and a question mark about whether the 2016 sets have a similar or the same chipset.

Colbert

Banned
HDMI can be updated by firmware IF the chipset in the TV supports it. There is a rather large conversation going on regarding sets like the Samsung KS8000 and a possible update for example, and I can't turn up a statement from Samsung saying it can be updated. I think I read that 2015 Samsung sets have a chipset which could be updated via firmware update, but not a solid answer on that, and a question mark about whether the 2016 sets have a similar or the same chipset.

True, but the X1X seems to have that covered and I hope LG too! LG, do you hear me?

Darklor01

True, but the X1X seems to have that covered and I hope LG too! LG, do you hear me?

Well, yeah, if the TV does have the support for it, and you have a 2.1 rated cable, you'd be set. The thing will be finding out whether the set you own will be able to support it. I'm going to guess when known, one of the usual sites will get the update pretty quickly.

Snubbers

Any info on if they'll support 1440p as an output resolution?

There are so many freesync (and even a freesync 2) small (<32") monitors around that would be perfect for this, but only 1440p which would suit me perfectly.

To get a 4K small monitor with freesync (or freesync 2) over hdmi is impossible.

Any info on if they'll support 1440p as an output resolution?

There are so many freesync (and even a freesync 2) small (<32") monitors around that would be perfect for this, but only 1440p which would suit me perfectly.

To get a 4K small monitor with freesync (or freesync 2) over hdmi is impossible.

There was a user voice that got over 500 votes and was on the top 10 recently. Mike Ybarra responded to a tweet asking about 1440p output that it's possible and if enough people asked for it they would consider adding it. I'm really hoping it's gotten enough traction to make it in. Would be awesome.

Bsigg12

For those of us with a KS8000, I can't find anything which says Samsung will be able to update this kind of set to HDMI 2.1 via Firmware update. Great for owners of sets that do/will be able to support it though :D

It's frustrating that they haven't finalized the cert and testing for 2.1 yet.

Support for HDMI can be implemented but you may need new chipsets for features like VRR and Dynamic HDR.
Would be glad to be wrong on this though.

TK-421

I think I read that 2015 Samsung sets have a chipset which could be updated via firmware update, but not a solid answer on that, and a question mark about whether the 2016 sets have a similar or the same chipset.

2015/2016 Samsung TVs use the mini one connect to handle their I/O. So it could be possible they will be able to buy an upgraded replacement version with 2.1?

Darklor01

2015/2016 Samsung TVs use the mini one connect to handle their I/O. So it could be possible they will be able to buy an upgraded replacement version with 2.1?

That is a very good point. I have one of those, and forgot that the input to the TV is from the Mini One Connect. Do the newer sets use a Mini One Connect and if so, do you think it's possible to just buy one of those from Samsung and use it with a 2016 set?

Edit: I did a bit of searching and there is nothing but speculation as to whether it would be possible to just buy a new One Connect Mini Box with HDMI 2.1 for Samsung TVs. The current thought is, no, this might not work for .. reasons.

Snubbers

The main feature I'd like is freesync 2 (or even freesync one with LFC might do!).. but I think adding variable refresh rates goes far beyond the HDMI ports, they might be upgradeable to pass the information accross, but I doubt the rest of the hardware could react to that new data..

Bsigg12

The main feature I'd like is freesync 2 (or even freesync one with LFC might do!).. but I think adding variable refresh rates goes far beyond the HDMI ports, they might be upgradeable to pass the information accross, but I doubt the rest of the hardware could react to that new data..

Freesync 2 is AMD specific and requires an AMD certified monitor or TV. VRR will be part of the 2.1 spec which means more TVs are likely to support it. I doubt any TVs other than maybe OLEDs can firmware upgraded to support either feature and will require a new set.

I figured out why I failed to get a preorder in on the first round. My fucking debit card has a fraud protection limit on it and if I try to buy anything online that costs more than $500 they pull the card to protect me. Anyone know if there's a place you can preorder that'll take Paypal?

I haven't quite understood the hate for the controller. It really doesn't look that bad to me! It also helps that I already have an Xbox Design Lab controller, so I was never going to use the one that comes in the box anyway.

Literally nothing is wrong with the controller. I was looking for what was wrong with it but I couldn't find it.

Kerm 1

I figured out why I failed to get a preorder in on the first round. My fucking debit card has a fraud protection limit on it and if I try to buy anything online that costs more than $500 they pull the card to protect me. Anyone know if there's a place you can preorder that'll take Paypal?

Best Buy and Microsoft Store both accept PayPal when preorders open up again.

Ah dang... If there were some weird way you could transfer the Gamestop order to me I'd gladly take it off your hands.

I guarantee you I'm not the only one who will likely cancel their Scorpio order. More will go up. I'd follow wario64 on twitter and turn on notifications.

Top Bottom