• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Raide

Where are you guys going to pre order at? Will you be trading your current xbox in?

I need to know of trade in programs before.

I guess I could pre order on Amazon and cancel amytime right?

Probably Amazon. I use to order from Game because I got discount due to knowing the manager well.

Unless my local gaming shops do a good trade in that is.

ElNino

EB in Canada. Makes it easy to trade in stuff towards it.
I'll probably have a pre-order at BB or Amazon just in case, but I'm also planning on using EB to trade in my OG XB1 for the XBX. The trade in promos for the Pro/Switch were too good to bother trying to sell privately.

Dosia

Where are you guys going to pre order at? Will you be trading your current xbox in?

I will go to whoever offers the most for my xbone with their trade in promos. So likely gamestop.

Severianb

I'll pre-order or get this at launch if the hard drive interface isn't horribly crippled like it is in the XB1, PS4 and yes even the SATA 3 equipped PS4 Pro!

I say this because the first thing I'm going to do is rip it apart and replace the peasant-class mechanical hard drive with a SSD.

Microsoft said they massively reduced bottlenecks in designing the X1X. The hard drive is the biggest bottleneck of all.

Hedon

Banned
I am afraid that they will sell out too fast and that I won't get in my order for day one. That or MS will intentionally create a demand shortage :(

Space_nut

I'll pre-order or get this at launch if the hard drive interface isn't horribly crippled like it is in the XB1, PS4 and yes even the SATA 3 equipped PS4 Pro!

I say this because the first thing I'm going to do is rip it apart and replace the peasant-class mechanical hard drive with a SSD.

Microsoft said they massively reduced bottlenecks in designing the X1X. The hard drive is the biggest bottleneck of all.

They've improved the HDD bandwidth by 50%

Raide

I am afraid that they will sell out too fast and that I won't get in my order for day one. That or MS will intentionally create a demand shortage :(

I think MS will do a good job getting enough units into circulation. They could create that shortage like Nintendo did but it's tough to know if that will backfire on them

RootCause

I doubt they would sabotage themselves like that.
You should keep a tab open on this thread, or follow the official xbox twitter.

Hedon

Banned
I think MS will do a good job getting enough units into circulation. They could create that shortage like Nintendo did but it's tough to know if that will backfire on them

I guess I will be refreshing the fuck outta this thread so I have a chance at getting my order in.

I agree. They need to get people into their ecosystem. I think it's a huge gamble to restrict anything at this point.

Colbert

Banned

I do not trade in my old Xbox Ones (plural). One S goes to my bedroom. My OG is already used as a retail dev kit.

I will pre-order directly at MS or Amazon. My tendency goes to MS directly as they ship for free too. I have good experience with both shops with console pre-orders.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
giphy.gif

Dabanton

I'm going to be pre-ordering at the MS store near me. I'm hoping they do a midnight launch as well.

Yawnny

If the OT for this thing isn't Xbox One X |OT| X Gonna Give It To Ya I will burn this place to the ground

I dunno.. X Gonna Give It To Ya memes are dead.. and the song is cringe whenever someone tries to play it and think it's funny.. ie: in the Deadpool movie. It just falls flat.

imho.

gossi

I would not do this. I'm not sure you could get the OS onto it, for one thing.

Severianb

They've improved the HDD bandwidth by 50%

I saw that and it makes me very hopeful, however, improving 50% over the speed of the mechanical OG XB1 HDD is one thing, providing enough bandwidth to take full advantage of a SSD is another thing entirely. For instance, the crippled PS4 Pro SATA 3 interface takes 67 seconds on an SSD to load the Novigrad level in Witcher 3. A PC with the same SSD takes only 28 seconds!

Basically, providing 100 mb/s bandwidth for a regular HDD is one thing but the 500+ mb/s bandwidth a SSD can provide? I'm crossing my fingers and hoping.

I would not do this. I'm not sure you could get the OS onto it, for one thing.

I've already done this on my XBox One. You simply open up the console, clone the original mechanical hard drive onto the new SSD and done. Flawless and easy. My XB1 is much snappier now that the OS isn't on a POS peasant mechanical drive. I used one of these to clone the drive. I don't give a damn about having a bigger internal drive.

Colbert

Banned
I saw that and it makes me very hopeful, however, improving 50% over the speed of the mechanical OG XB1 HDD is one thing, providing enough bandwidth to take full advantage of a SSD is another thing entirely. For instance, the crippled PS4 Pro SATA 3 interface takes 67 seconds on an SSD to load the Novigrad level in Witcher 3. A PC with the same SSD takes only 28 seconds!

Basically, providing 100 mb/s bandwidth for a regular HDD is one thing but the 500+ mb/s bandwidth a SSD can provide? I'm crossing my fingers and hoping.

I tend to believe that even PS4 Pro still uses SATA II at 3gbps. Thats why loads in half the time. Same reason why external drives are faster on Xbox One (S). On the One X I assume they have updates the interface to full SATA III at 6gbps.

I'm going to be pre-ordering at the MS store near me. I'm hoping they do a midnight launch as well.

If you've got friends and family who are interested, make sure they pre-order at the same place. I worked at an MS store a few years ago and they only do midnight launches if they cross a certain threshold of pre-orders. Our store barely ever got pre-orders for new products.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you've got friends and family who are interested, make sure they pre-order at the same place. I worked at an MS store a few years ago and they only do midnight launches if they cross a certain threshold of pre-orders. Our store barely ever got pre-orders for new products.

I don't have friends 😥😥😂😂😖😖☹️😭😭

gossi

I've already done this on my XBox One. You simply open up the console, clone the original mechanical hard drive onto the new SSD and done. Flawless and easy. My XB1 is much snappier now that the OS isn't on a POS peasant mechanical drive. I used one of these to clone the drive. I don't give a damn about having a bigger internal drive.

I mean, you could use the always on mode for instant boot and use USB external storage for SD.

Then you don't immediately void the warranty.

Jrs3000

Ha ha it's been "soon" since August!

I just want to put my money down and (try to) forget about it until closer to launch.

Come on MS, throw us a bone here!

Seem like gamescom. We are just around the corner from it unless they have another event planned but nobody had seen anything. 11 days to go!

jayvo

When I enter this thread I always do a slow scroll towards the end in hopes that the final post is "preorders open now!"

I tend to think that someone will create an entirely new thread saying that pre-orders are open once it goes live. At least that's what I hope. Because this thread is always bumped and I'm always disappointed.

Of course, I'm not helping matters either.

He probably meant the dashboard and Spotify.

Yep... I'm willing to bet that's what he was referring to. Especially given that he seemingly had early access to the Dash and had Qwik on their livestream. Nothing to see here folks. Expect late next week or at Gamescom.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Jez said something very similar recently and it turned out to be services related. That's it. If anyone's going to say something, it would much more likely be Phil Spener. It also wouldn't make much sense at this point to do anything before Gamescom. I'd be happy if it did, but even I've decided that's much more likely.

I did a quick check of how long between PS4 Pro Pre-orders to release and it was actually a shorter time frame between those dates (September 7 - November 10 I think) than there would be between Gamescom and November 7th of this year for the XBOX One X launch. Interesting.

Orca

I did a quick check of how long between PS4 Pro Pre-orders to release and it was actually a shorter time frame between those dates (September 7 - November 10 I think) than there would be between Gamescom and November 7th of this year for the XBOX One X launch. Interesting.

That's true, but it was also ANNOUNCED on that day. Microsoft have dropped the ball by letting it go this long without saying anything - or even releasing new info about it. I think yesterday was the first day that I didn't even bother checking to see if it was available for pre-order yet.

kevin1025

Banned
That's true, but it was also ANNOUNCED on that day. Microsoft have dropped the ball by letting it go this long without saying anything - or even releasing new info about it. I think yesterday was the first day that I didn't even bother checking to see if it was available for pre-order yet.

Gotta keep that X as secret as possible!

Top Bottom