• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

sainraja

Not sure the best place to bring this up but since this is a the main topic for it I figure here is best. Anyone else having issues with their Series X where the controller will disconnect but then won't reconnect? The first time it happened to me I was able to switch to a different one with no issues, however, the second two times it happened, I wasn't able to use any controller (they were all not connecting.) Getting the console to restart using my phone (remotely control) helped get them to reconnect but the first time I had to wait a while before they connected (I had turned off/on and nothing.)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If my memory serves me well (it really doesn't), Xbox one had the same issue with disconnects.
I think it happened sometimes in my 2013 fat OG Xbox One. It does not happen in the middle of the season, but when I turn it on the controller has disconnected and I could reconnect it again easily.

sainraja

If my memory serves me well (it really doesn't), Xbox one had the same issue with disconnects.
Yeah, initially, I remember having to go through multiple consoles and Microsoft even replaced one of those which is why I wasn't expecting it with the Series X and also because its a little different this time because I need to use the phone in order to restart/shutdown to get it to connect. With the Xbox One, it would disconnect but pressing the Xbox button would always reconnect it.

Huge thanks for that. I cannot believe FS is coming to console. They sound very confident it will be an experience comparable to PC. I find myself wondering if my wife will kill me if I setup a stick and pedals in the living room. :messenger_grimmacing_

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
This is why I hardly post on twitter

Microsoft Casual Games has been shut down. All other Xbox studios only have one studio location. There are no unannounced studios waiting for a surprise announcement like a Ninja, you cant just hide a public office with hundreds of people working on it.

Last edited:
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I see... studios... studios everywhere. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

BigLee74

Not sure the best place to bring this up but since this is a the main topic for it I figure here is best. Anyone else having issues with their Series X where the controller will disconnect but then won't reconnect? The first time it happened to me I was able to switch to a different one with no issues, however, the second two times it happened, I wasn't able to use any controller (they were all not connecting.) Getting the console to restart using my phone (remotely control) helped get them to reconnect but the first time I had to wait a while before they connected (I had turned off/on and nothing.)
I’ve had that once. Can’t remember exactly how I fixed it, but no doubt involved restarting the console and pulling batteries out the controllers!

Elias

I miss Carmack, I keep wondering what kind of an engine he would be able to craft for PS5/XSX if he was still in the business.

Sure the engines keep evolving, but after getting the same (if not more) garbage for 10-20 years people lose all hope and have all the right to trash on it.
Is gamebryo garbage or is Bethesda QA just bad? Gamebryo does a lot of things well that most engines can't.

splattered

Does MS currently have marketing rights for Battlefield? I know Sony still has it for COD... i'm thinking BF6 is gonna be a big deal and actually well received when it comes out (Or at least i'm hoping, i want a GOOD modern BF again)

Alright, just played through Yakuza Kiwami for the first time. The game is really excellent. Super surprised. What should I do next, go to Kiwami 2 or play 0?

Last edited:

Zeeed

So... how does auto-hdr work?
I thought it would add HDR to games that was not programmed with HDR.
But I just tried "Call of the Sea" which originally did not come with HDR.
I figured the auto-hdr would kick in, but nothing.
I know auto-hdr works, because it comes on for Yakuza 0 and I can see the auto-hdr indicator when you press the xbox button.

So can a game developer specifically tell the xbox to not use auto-hdr on their game? Or am I doing something wrong?

Mmnow

So... how does auto-hdr work?
I thought it would add HDR to games that was not programmed with HDR.
But I just tried "Call of the Sea" which originally did not come with HDR.
I figured the auto-hdr would kick in, but nothing.
I know auto-hdr works, because it comes on for Yakuza 0 and I can see the auto-hdr indicator when you press the xbox button.

So can a game developer specifically tell the xbox to not use auto-hdr on their game? Or am I doing something wrong?
Auto-hdr only works with backwards compatible games.

It's weird, but I guess its even weirder that a game like Call of the Sea would ship without HDR.

Last edited:

Zeeed

It's weird, but I guess its even weirder that a game like Call of the Sea would ship without HDR.
Thanks, I didn't know that auto-hdr only works for backwards compatible games.

I think "Call of the Sea" tries to do an artificial HDR. And it's annoying. The exaggerated vibrant colours I am okay with. But when it tries to do a Dark area in fake HDR, it uses this vignette around the frame to mimic what it thinks is HDR.

Maybe that's just their style and I am over-thinking it ;)

RaZoR No1

Are you sure about that? Afaik it applies to some Xbox One games too.

I think Quantum Break and/or Indivisible had AutoHDR for me

Mmnow

Thanks, I didn't know that auto-hdr only works for backwards compatible games.

I think "Call of the Sea" tries to do an artificial HDR. And it's annoying. The exaggerated vibrant colours I am okay with. But when it tries to do a Dark area in fake HDR, it uses this vignette around the frame to mimic what it thinks is HDR.

Maybe that's just their style and I am over-thinking it ;)
Honestly, this was the only disappointment for me. It was such a gorgeous game, but there were areas that didn't pop like they should.

Ok so since someone mentioned HDR, I figure I’d mention that I’m kinda pissed that I was playing all this time without HDR. Apparently even though I have a 4K HDR tv, the HDMI port was not set to 2.0 and was on automatic, which for some reason always put it on HDMI 1.3 with my Xbox consoles.... god damn I was pissed when I finally figured out why I wasn’t getting HDR and I gotta say it’s a huge difference. It always showed the HDR logo on things like Amazon prime video (which I used through the app, it’s a smart TV) but never on the Xbox. Now it does... So moral of the story, make sure you’re TV is set up right.

Last edited:

Yes. Happened about 3 times.... I had to switch off the xbox by the plug

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Ok so since someone mentioned HDR, I figure I’d mention that I’m kinda pissed that I was playing all this time without HDR. Apparently even though I have a 4K HDR tv, the HDMI port was not set to 2.0 and was on automatic, which for some reason always put it on HDMI 1.3 with my Xbox consoles.... god damn I was pissed when I finally figured out why I wasn’t getting HDR and I gotta say it’s a huge difference. It always showed the HDR logo on things like Amazon prime video (which I used through the app, it’s a smart TV) but never on the Xbox. Now it does... So moral of the story, make sure you’re TV is set up right.
OMG - thank you for posting this, I was wondering why Xbox kept trying to tell me my TV didn't do HDR10. I had the same thing with Auto checked instead of HDMI 2.0 my TV. Now Xbox tells me it DOES do HDR10.

GametimeUK

I'm loving Retroarch on my series X. I've pretty much got the new Xbox to play everything up until Xbox 360. Haha. SSX 3 and a bunch of others like Slate have been great.

Top Bottom