• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

“When we started working on the Xbox version in earnest quite a few months ago now, we literally went through every model,” Jorg explains. “We looked at every buffer and it was shocking how much memory we found. That video we made, the announcement for Xbox, that was all captured from an Xbox. We are making great progress, but there’s still lots to do. I think people will be surprised; it will be virtually indistinguishable from the PC version.”

Although there will be differences between the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S versions, the team is confident that the console version will not sacrifice image quality or detail in order to tailor the experience for a different platform. In fact, being a hardcore flight sim for console -- is something to celebrate.

“[Looking great] is a requirement because we’re also newcomers,” Jorg admits. “Simming is a newcomer to console because it has never really been there. So, there’s a high expectation for how it looks and performs. But we also know that players will be new so we need to pay close attention to their needs. We’re starting to test it internally and at some point, we're going to test externally because we want to get it right. To make sure the people that are coming in feel welcome. And ideally, stay and become a simmer down the road.”

More importantly, arriving on Xbox is simply another step in or leg in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Journey. Recently the PC release got support for VR, something the team will refine and support for a long time to come. And even with all of that on the plate, Jorg Neuman is also -- aptly -- thinking about the cloud. Forever looking into new technology, VR, next-gen console hardware, streaming over servers. Butterflies.

“I'm happy how we launched on PC, and it's great to see how it's been received,” he concludes. “Our focus right now is on Xbox, but I'm curious about what Project xCloud will allow us to do. It’s another device in the family and I think one that can reach people in different places and different situations, and I'm fascinated by that. Like, I really want to do that -- it's such an interesting product.”

The "Control Photo Mode" thread is priceless. Did you know that XSX can only perform when paused? It also can't do particle effects. You can learn a lot about Xbox from Sony fans, all these Xbox shills in this thread have been hiding these things from me.

Never cease to amaze me the amount of Olympic level Engineers we're blessed with out here on GAF..truly remarkable.

Just imagine face off threads for the next 7-8 yrs span of this gen. I mean S|X got its shit together and coming on top in each breakdown they can't cope with facts, defeat and a mashine which is stacked technically just better. These men going through midlife crisis in they're 40-50s will go batshit crazy insane.

Mr.ODST

Keep getting this feeling Halo MCC will be released on Switch and/or PlayStation.

I also think infinites MP will be exclusive to Xbox and PC for a short period before also moving to those platforms and the SP stays fully Xbox Platform exclusive.

Halo needs a resurgence in its MP and Esports, it suffered only ever being on the Xbox One due to low player numbers even though 5 was a great MP game, if they get the player numbers up Halo is going to be in an excellent position again.

Mir could just be custom game lobby’s

Greeno

I just don't understand why doesn't Microsoft implement Arabic text in their games? standard Arabic is the fifth or sixth language understood and spoken in the world.

Sony (to a lesser extent) and Nintendo have the same mentality towards the language, and it doesn't make sense considering the fact that there are nearly 500 million potential customers that speak it.

Last edited:

Roberts

Guys, if you are into Sea of Thieves, but haven't played it lately, check out the Season One content. Played a bit with a friend yesterday and it is a blast. Just like with Tall Tales, the game doesn't hold your hand at all and you have to figure out where and how to get the clues to the next destination in your search for treasure and so on. This game is a gift that keeps on giving.

Guys, if you are into Sea of Thieves, but haven't played it lately, check out the Season One content. Played a bit with a friend yesterday and it is a blast. Just like with Tall Tales, the game doesn't hold your hand at all and you have to figure out where and how to get the clues to the next destination in your search for treasure and so on. This game is a gift that keeps on giving.

Preaching to the choir here...this is my favourite game right now. Haven’t been this “into” a game in a long time. Getting to the point now where I am becoming a bit of a hazard to other sailor’s welfare in my solo sloop. Definitely not the pushover on the high seas than I was at the start. I’m just glad I discovered this game in it’s current form and not what I hear it was like at launch.

Roberts

tons of my achivements are gone...anyone else?
Just checked. All good. Don't take my word for it, but (if I remember correctly) I've heard people having this problem in the past and it always fixes itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Some random person: "I hate Game Pass, because who wants to rent games, anyway!? I want to own my games!"

Same person: *Goes on to buy physical games for $60-$70 and later sells them for $5-$10*
Exercising their rights to resell something which you can only do it on your terms if you own the software instead of just a digital license/rental. What is the point? I think the issue with Netflix like services is the eventual push, like Netflix, for quantity and frequency and software wise of F2P like mechanics to keep people spending (games worrying about monetising acquired players more and more and gameplay changing to reflect that):
SMEeLng.jpg

From Xbox CFO, one of their latest conference calls.

Last edited:

Mmnow

Exercising their rights to resell something which you can only do it on your terms if you own the software instead of just a digital license/rental. What is the point? I think the issue with Netflix like services is the eventual push, like Netflix, for quantity and frequency and software wise of F2P like mechanics to keep people spending (games worrying about monetising acquired players more and more and gameplay changing to reflect that):
SMEeLng.jpg

That does not say what you're making out it does.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That does not say what you're making out it does.
I am game, what does say the opposite of that? Getting people to subscribe gives you better ways to monetise... are we arguing that GamePass model is about AAAA single player or large non micro transactions encumbered experiences all for a single low monthly fee? Even in a still very competitive streaming landscape (Prime vs Netflix vs Disney+ ... with some exceptions we are seeing IMHO focus on more content not necessarily higher quality... imagine if it were not as competitive).

Mmnow

I am game, what does say the opposite of that? Getting people to subscribe gives you better ways to monetise... are we arguing that GamePass model is about AAAA single player or large non micro transactions encumbered experiences all for a single low monthly fee? Even in a still very competitive streaming landscape (Prime vs Netflix vs Disney+ ... with some exceptions we are seeing IMHO focus on more content not necessarily higher quality... imagine if it were not as competitive).
You're game? That's good, I'd hate to think I was talking to a disinterested party. You're already the most disingenuous person on this site, imagine being disinterested too.

I like that I've told you you're wrong about what he's said, and then you've completely ignored trying to justify it. Going by your writing style, English isn't your first language, so I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt.

He says what anybody with a basic understanding of maths can tell you. Releasing three big AAA games a year doesn't equal $60 a game for every person that buys it. Getting someone to subscribe for a year DOES equal three big games a year, and actually more because on first party titles all that money is just going into one giant pot.

What he's saying has nothing to do with DLC, microtransactions or any other pull to a f2p method.

Last edited:

Serianox

SMEeLng.jpg

That quote is literally saying that game pass allows Microsoft to reach more price sensitive customers and that having customers keeping the subscription for a significant time since it's more affordable eventually nets more than if that customer was buying one or two full priced games a year. Nothing about pushing for increased monetization through mtx also so far i haven't seen anything that supports that notion beyond games already doing increased mtx or stuff like battle passes regardless of them being available in a subscription.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

what its saying is if people only buy 1 game a year off them them will get more money off them via a subscription and the user will get to access more games basically

Last edited:

oldergamer

Ugh, that's a bit of a stretch dude...

oldergamer

You're game? That's good, I'd hate to think I was talking to a disinterested party. You're already the most disingenuous person on this site, imagine being disinterested too.

I like that I've told you you're wrong about what he's said, and then you've completely ignored trying to justify it. Going by your writing style, English isn't your first language, so I'm going to go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt.

He says what anybody with a basic understanding of maths can tell you. Releasing three big AAA games a year doesn't equal $60 a game for every person that buys it. Getting someone to subscribe for a year DOES equal three big games a year, and actually more because on first party titles all that money is just going into one giant pot.

What he's saying has nothing to do with DLC, microtransactions or any other pull to a f2p method.
Ouch. Seriously though, he is not the most disingenuous on this website. There are far more people that are 100% more disingenuous around here. Can't say i agree with panjev on this one as i feel its a stretch on what he suggests.

Mmnow

Ouch. Seriously though, he is not the most disingenuous on this website. There are far more people that are 100% more disingenuous around here. Can't say i agree with panjev on this one as i feel its a stretch on what he suggests.
It's off-topic and I'm not going to write a whole post running down the guy to explain why I feel this way, but his post on this thread is almost 100 percent representative of my experience of him.

Post false info, then act like a petulant child or go into information overload when called out. I've got him on ignore, but whenever I come across him, that's what he's like. He's doing it in the Control thread this morning.

Hey, maybe I'm being overly harsh, but the "I'm game" bollocks rubbed me the wrong way.

oldergamer

It's off-topic and I'm not going to write a whole post running down the guy to explain why I feel this way, but his post on this thread is almost 100 percent representative of my experience of him.

Post false info, then act like a petulant child or go into information overload when called out. I've got him on ignore, but whenever I come across him, that's what he's like. He's doing it in the Control thread this morning.

Hey, maybe I'm being overly harsh, but the "I'm game" bollocks rubbed me the wrong way.
I haven't put him on ignore as I like to argue with him ;) hehe. I put quite a few others on my ignore that are purely fanboyish in their posts. Panjev is a lot smarter then the people I blocked there. Still I don't get why people are twisting themselves in a sailor knot over one console with higher specs beating out a console where there are some obvious hardware differences/advantages. Its kinda funny how the SSD talk has nearly vanished as there is not much of a difference in performance between the two systems like some thought.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we should expect these differences more often going forward. it won't always be the case, but nobody should have taken launch titles as any type of metric on performance.

Last edited:
SMEeLng.jpg

Edit: Needless post already covered by others. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I think you misunderstood the quote to some degree (intentionally or otherwise). That is referring to a long-term sub vs. individual game sales attach rate, which should always result in more revenue from the subscription service since average attach per console is generally low. In the beginning they talk about third-party maintaining their $60-$70 window, but thinking of GP as another revenue window (basically a replacement for heavily discounted $10-$20 sales).

Games are already moving to microtransactions/dlc to monetize after the initial sale (check the revenue breakdown Sony released recently), that move will continue and has nothing to do with GP.

Last edited:

Video streaming is a different dynamic to gaming. GP users would never expect the volume of output provided by a major video streamer, those services are basically trying to replace cable/ota TV in one go. Look at the number of AAAA games that could be produced if MS spent 17b a year in development (which they never would). A lot less pressure in the gaming space, with a much quicker path to profitability.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

“I am game” as “I would like to continue the discussion” and argue my point a bit further before conceding. I think it is a quite common figure of speech, not sure why it is triggering or how I posted false info and acted like a petulant child, but sure I am shit at being concise so I will concede the info overload point too... but false info? No. I posted a quote and I may have misinterpreted it or not, but I did not post false info but just my opinion and the data I was basing it on. “You're already the most disingenuous person on this site” ... really?

You told me I was wrong and that is it. I disagreed and I thought you were ok to discuss it further (do you honestly just take a “no, this is not what it means” answer and react with “ah ok, I guess I was wrong” and leave it at that when you have a different opinion?)

Last edited:

Esppiral

I just don't understand why doesn't Microsoft implement Arabic text in their games? standard Arabic is the fifth or sixth language understood and spoken in the world.

Sony (to a lesser extent) and Nintendo have the same mentality towards the language, and it doesn't make sense considering the fact that there are nearly 500 million potential customers that speak it.
MS more often than not leaves Spanish out when they translate/dub games and it is the second most spoken language in the world behind Chinese.

Then they localize games to German and French that are spoken by a few millions.... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Tbh he's no different to the rest of them, he just tries to be smarter about it 🙂
Not going to litter/derail this OT further on this argument, more than happy to reply to your PM’s if you want to start a conversation there, but I am not fond of what you are implying there or the summary judgement you are passing (I can be wrong and have shit opinions too, not sure the aggression or such judgement is warranted if I discuss an opinion I have for more than one drive by post).

Last edited:
Tbh he's no different to the rest of them, he just tries to be smarter about it 🙂

He comes off as an Instigator tactically working and actin' neutral on the both sides, pouring gasoline wherever opportunity presents itself and enjoy watching drama to unfold from a distance....that's his shtick-bread n butter..IMO.

Seldom times I drop by here thats the first thing catches your eye in the console, GP, Face-offs threads. Don't take it personal bruh "for some" warring is a Full time job.

Quick, someone with actual technical skills provide a link to the new Hellblade 2 image. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

NVM. Just saw that there is a separate Hellblade 2 thread and it is being featured there.

2nd edit: Bernkastel Bernkastel comes through anyway. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
I got a question about backing up digital games, this goes for any kind(xbox,360,xbox one,xbox sx). Can you store the games on as many hdd's as you want or do they limit you?

T-Cake

I got a question about backing up digital games, this goes for any kind(xbox,360,xbox one,xbox sx). Can you store the games on as many hdd's as you want or do they limit you?

You can have unlimited offline HDDs but only two connected at once.

pasterpl

Some random person: "I hate Game Pass, because who wants to rent games, anyway!? I want to own my games!"

Same person: *Goes on to buy physical games for $60-$70 and later sells them for $5-$10*
Better, some of them bough ps5 digital edition or buy lots of digital games

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Better, some of them bough ps5 digital edition or buy lots of digital games
True, I am a hypocrite in that sense as while I bought both XSX and PS5 (disc edition), I bought a lot of digital games on the Xbox Marketplace (for many I do have the discs, but I cannot travel to take them for obvious reasons, so I got them digitally: purchased them even if they were on GP like Dead Space 1) I cannot resell either as they are digital. I converted my XBOX LIVE Gold subscription into GPU (I guess the moral approach should have been to either shut up about it perhaps or not give MS one mor GP active) too.

I do not think that buying a game and reselling it counts as being a hypocrite for someone advocating for game ownership vs rental in the original example the other poster was mentioning though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom