• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Salsa

fuck it imma do the VPN stuff for the first time I guess

do I need to be offline to play once I do everything? or can I play online with steamworks stuff fine?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ninety-Five Canadian Funbucks for the deluxe edition, goddammit why must our dollar suck so bad.

Nonetheless I'm hyped AF.

At least you know you'll be playing this for months, if not years.

GMG should make it a lil cheaper, unless it's $95 after discounts in which case God help us Canucks.

Edit: ~$75 CDN for the Digital Deluxe Edition. Not bad I may jump on that.

Tworak

do I need to be offline to play once I do everything? or can I play online with steamworks stuff fine?
my way of doing it is

steam offline
connect vpn
steam online
unlock
steam offline >mode<
start game
disconnect vpn

CoolCat.png

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, too. and you could play it while being on vpn. but free vpns have a bandwidth limit.

Corpekata

Banned

Need to stay in offline mode, otherwise it goes back to a preload status (even if it's already unpacked) and it will block you.

Perhaps its since the game released in Asia? idk, you could try reach out to them, they might hook you up with a code that works.

Never had that issue.

20% and 23% off the DD should work regardless.

I used the code for the standard edition about 5 mins ago. Worked for me. Im in uk.

Wes

venison crêpe
I may have missed the option completely, or maybe it's not even in this release, but how do you turn on ironman mode?

Well having only ever played XCOM EU back when it was new I am getting beaten hard right now in this. I have failed the first proper mission twice now, on the standard difficulty. So, uh, yeah...

Steel

Banned
And so begins the preload... I was totally gonna wait on buying this, damn it! The list of games I've half-finished only continues to grow!

Tworak

Can anyone confirm or deny whether you need to turn off the tutorial to play ironman mode?

yep seems like it. when I turn off tutorials you get a choice of ironman on or off after choosing difficulty. with tutorials on it jumps straight into the tutorial, without a choice.

dakun

For custom resolutions:
Quiet the game, set you windows resolution to whatever you want the ingame resolution to be. Restart the game and set screen mode to fullscreen.

At least this worked for me.

can you tell me which program you use for the overlay showing FPS etc.?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Tips and tricks:
(For those outside "zone 1") Unlock the game early: Sign up to VyprVPN's free service and, after connecting to an AU/NZ/Asian server, restart Steam. Due to the 500MB bandwidth limit the free service has, it's best advised to switch to Offline Mode while you wait for the game to unlock in your region since disconnecting from the VPN mid-session will cause your in-game status to cease, which breaks Steamworks functionality as the game is no longer communicating with the client.
Note: Any other instances of Steam must be closed in order for the region switch to take place -- this includes the mobile app as well as the client.

(This is more for the curiosity of others than yourself as I assume you're already aware of the technicalities.)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What country's VPN do I need to connect too?

You couldn't have asked at a better time. ;)

Edit: I should note that, technically, using a VPN at all is, strictly speaking, against the rules but blah blah Valve's never cared about anything other than cross-region purchasing/skirting region-lock methods and yada yada I've unlocked games early myself many times, as have other GAFers, and have more to lose than many other Steam users. Rest assured you've nothing to worry about if all you're doing is unlocking the game early. Valve couldn't care less. 2K/Take-Two couldn't care less. Someone whose very existence depended on caring less couldn't care less.

Nete

Wait do you have an image of loading a specific character from the pool? Cause afaik all streamers said it wasn't in the game.

Wait. Loading it for what? If you mean on the recruitment screen, to load a guy not showing there yet, as far as I know you can't.

Looks like I did misunderstood Gwyndolin question.

Wait. Loading it for what? If you mean on the recruitment screen, to load a guy not showing there yet, as far as I know you can't.

Looks like I did misunderstood Gwyndolin question.

No I meant if it's possible to create a character in the pool then in a separate game to load that specific character in?

I tried out Commander but basically squad wiped on the second tutorial mission...geez. I'm going to start over in Veteran with no tutorial and get more familiar.

Makikou

God damnit seriously, just spent 30 mins tuning my squad's looks.

Now i have matching tundra snow camo with my sharpshooter Angela & Ranger Galina looking badass as hell.

Kadayi

Banned
I was going to be good and wait for the official unlock, but I can't hold out any longer. VPN it is.

Need to make my ppls and then watch them all die again and again and again

Salsa

think im gonna wait for the steamworks stuff

unlocks at like 1am here :/ but I dont gotta get up early tomorrow

Phionoxx

Playing now! Running okay for me, but frames have been fluctuating between 45 to 60 at default High settings with a 3GB 780 GTX.

Also - no tickbox option for Ironman anymore? Maybe I missed it but it isn't there when selecting difficulty options when starting a new game. So is running Ironman just self enforced now or what?

Edit: Read above, looks like it is tied to having the tutorial option turned on. Whoops. Looks like I will save Ironman run for later once I'm more familiar with the new changes to the game.

samn

How much will I miss if I go straight to this one rather than enemy within?

nothing

well EW had some gene mods and mec features but they weren't all that great.

Playing now! Running okay for me, but frames have been fluctuating between 45 to 60 at default High settings with a 3GB 780 GTX.

Also - no tickbox option for Ironman anymore? Maybe I missed it but it isn't there when selecting difficulty options when starting a new game. So is running Ironman just self enforced now or what?

It's only available when you disable the tutorial I hear.

Top Bottom