• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
God damn pistol is for wimps. My sniper shoots his rifle and shit dies. I just got serial on my boy Hector Cocaine and it's so fucking OP. First mission out and he just cleans up all the fucking trash, bip bip bip.

Pistol. Ha. I used my pistol once when my rifle was out of ammo, but I thought really hard about just reloading.

Eeeh, Serial is mad good, but Fan Fire is pretty amazing too - with bluescreen rounds.
Pistol's existance is mainly justified by bluescreen rounds, really.
Also getting Deadeye instead of Lightning Hands is insanity.

Legendary (with smart Sectoids mod) is destroying my ass.

This sounds scary as fuck. Sectoids fucking around is basically how i survive early game.

Sulik2

Legendary is no joke. Trying to survive to get mag weapons so I can do enough damage to maybe get rolling, but retaliation missions are brutal.

Ice9

Beat the game last night. Overall, loved the game, my favorite game of the year so far.

I had none of the technical issues that others seem to be having, luckily.

The only thing I really disliked was the dodge: graze mechanic.

I will return when there is more DLC and definitive mods to tackle higher difficulties.

Eeeh, Serial is mad good, but Fan Fire is pretty amazing too - with bluescreen rounds.
Pistol's existance is mainly justified by bluescreen rounds, really.
Also getting Deadeye instead of Lightning Hands is insanity.

My sniper takes the high ground from far away, I don't need him doing pistol tricks on top of buildings, I need him killing shit dead.

Sblargh

Banned
I decided I rather play without a character pool. Sorry GAF. It looks like other people will die in your place.

It's just that having a soldier be a nobody and growing into his own is too much part of the experience.

Also, I prefer to play without the stop wasting my time mod. Game seems more polished without it.

r1chard

Upped the difficulty on a new game, enjoying it even though it's so damned hard to keep the squaddies alive. Then I do a Facility mission, I think "I'm just gonna sneak past all these aliens that keep killing me". I make it all the way to the facility, having watched the patrol patterns and made sure I get past without popping any pods. Finally, I'm ready to make my move and I pop the one pod I see close to the objective. And then BAM, the three other pods I snuck past all pop right at the edge of my vision like they've been FOLLOWING ME. 12 aliens on screen up against my 4 squaddies with no armor and starting tech weaponry. Slaughtered.

Seriously, those damn pods were following me, way off the patrol paths I saw them walking. Bastards.

It was the only time I've ever save-scummed right out of a mission for a redo :-(

Still, I'm definitely getting better at this game, and enjoying the heck outta it :)

So: are the pod patrols just Brownian Motion that just seemed to have order? Or did they really actually follow me?

I'm wondering why if ADVENT Troopers are
grown from scratch in vats and are cloned by the aliens
, how come some of them are female? Wouldn't seem necessary in that case.

Sblargh

Banned
I don't like to call bullshit on stuff, because I think enemies are fairly well balanced overall, but why oh why does the viper grab only cost it one action?

"here, I will attemp to move one of your soldiers out of cover and bind him and deal damage. Oh, I missed? Chucks, now I will just have to spit poison and severely debuff your whole squad instead".

You missed an attack! That's xcom! Lose your turn like you are supposed to, for fuck sake!

I don't like to call bullshit on stuff, because I think enemies are fairly well balanced overall, but why oh why does the viper grab only cost it one action?

"here, I will attemp to move one of your soldiers out of cover and bind him and deal damage. Oh, I missed? Chucks, now I will just have to spit poison and severely debuff your whole squad instead".

You missed an attack! That's xcom! Lose your turn like you are supposed to, for fuck sake!

They do replace Thin Mints, so it would be unusual if they weren't cheap as fuck.

Sulik2

And my legendary run is over. Four days from mag weapons, the UFO event that triggered the first week of the game finally caught up to me. Got shot down. Second round, lizard grabs a guy, triggers SIX pods more then the two already active. It was the first week of May. Game over. I think I'm done with legendary, the difficulty stops being fun and starts being a slog.

Aureon

And my legendary run is over. Four days from mag weapons, the UFO event that triggered the first week of the game finally caught up to me. Got shot down. Second round, lizard grabs a guy, triggers SIX pods more then the two already active. It was the first week of May. Game over. I think I'm done with legendary, the difficulty stops being fun and starts being a slog.

Alt-f4 that shit.
6 pods is.. what?

Sulik2

Alt-f4 that shit.
6 pods is.. what?

They were stacked all down the valley in easy visual range of the edge of the cliff. I have never seen anything like it in Xcom 2. Had 20+ enemies on screen. They had a perfect ambush position setup for my path to the beacon. If it wasn't the end of my game, would have been kind of cool. Like an old school X-Com ambush. I should have taken a screenshot.

I could probably reload an earlier save and made contact with a different province so I could be on a different flight path of the UFO in three weeks, but meh. legendary wasn't fun.

They were stacked all down the valley in easy visual range of the edge of the cliff. I have never seen anything like it in Xcom 2. Had 20+ enemies on screen. They had a perfect ambush position setup for my path to the beacon. If it wasn't the end of my game, would have been kind of cool. Like an old school X-Com ambush. I should have taken a screenshot.

I could probably reload an earlier save and made contact with a different province so I could be on a different flight path of the UFO in three weeks, but meh. legendary wasn't fun.

The marathon mod was updated if you wanted to try it for a longer commander difficulty game.

Sblargh

Banned

Yeah, I am starting to feel this way, too.
I keep getting thinking back of Jake saying this isn't a game where you always have to finish without losing a soldier and stuff, but legend doesn't reflect this in a lot of ways.

Failure is part of the game, just not in the beggining where it is most likely. Then when you have enough gear that most missions will be flawless, then you also have the resources to deal with failure.

Aureon

Yeah, I am starting to feel this way, too.
I keep getting thinking back of Jake saying this isn't a game where you always have to finish without losing a soldier and stuff, but legend doesn't reflect this in a lot of ways.

Failure is part of the game, just not in the beggining where it is most likely. Then when you have enough gear that most missions will be flawless, then you also have the resources to deal with failure.

I have like 16 soldier deaths in my L run, which is not even halfway.
Including a triple death on 2nd mission.
I did come awfully close to losing (I waited out Avatar until 2d on Blacksite, and it came down to a 76% shot which would've likely caused a mission loss if missed), but, eh.

It's not that bad. The issue is mainly complete bullshit multi-pod aggros

Sblargh

Banned
Yeah. Maybe I am just salty I just lost a bunch of people lol.
Part of me don't like to complain about legend's difficulty because it is the hardest one, it is supposed to be the game not pulling any punches.
If only commander wasn't such a walk in the park.

Completes objective. Next turn a reinforcement + two pods activate. Evac without any wounded.
Mission failed? Not in my book it wasn't.

Fuck, one of my soldiers can't move for no apparent reason. It's on an evac mission, Ironman ;-;
Any suggestions? Reloading didn't help.

Sblargh

Banned
Something I have been slowly learning:
Losing soldiers is far worse than losing a mission.
If you activate more than one pod, stop a bit to consider if the fight is even worth having. If not, just leave. The consequence of failure is often less dire than it seems.
Losing a LT. who is on the way to being your ticket to squad size 2 is pretty bad, otoh.

Falk

that puzzling face
Really depends on which soldier tbqh.

But yeah, once you get a snowball going and are pretty much only really limited by research speed to get through the story teching, I'd rather evacuate my guys than face a bad pod activation.

My memorial screen is getting fuller and fuller with the names of the dead, even though my campaign is going better and better so far. Rookies and Squaddies are the poor unfortunate victims of horrible deaths even though I now have Power Armor. They just can't take as many shots from powerful enemies that my veterans can reliably tank with a good medic in my squad. I had to save my first Psi Operative's life by evacing her because she had 2 health left and was guaranteed to die if I kept her in the battlefield. Andromedons do a ton of damage with their rifles. They seem to love to hit my troops behind full cover.

Sblargh

Banned
Andromedons often create inreresting scenarios. They are very tough to kill and then some.
They are prime targets for stasis, as you often need the entire squad to kill it from full health.

SRG01

Andromedons often create inreresting scenarios. They are very tough to kill and then some.
They are prime targets for stasis, as you often need the entire squad to kill it from full health.

Stasis? I just mind-control them :D

They're hilariously overpowered as a mind-controllable enemy, next to the sectopod. Enemies also make a beeline for them, as they're apparently a high-priority target... which saves me a few mimic beacons in the process.

If you don't have mind control, Andromedons are vulnerable to flashbangs and every other mind-altering skill (ie. Insanity, Void Rift, etc).

edit: Understandably, I got freaked out the first time I encountered an Andromedon, until I realized that the game offers you a lot of counters by the time you encounter one. I'll list more here: AP rounds, Acid Grenades, any armor-stripping skill/class, Psi damage (bypasses armor), etc. Bluescreen rounds make short work of the robot form too.

Sblargh

Banned
How I would revamp the strategical layer for flavor mostly, but also a bit of rebalance and giving the player more choice when it comes to choosing missions. (I might try to mod the game that way):

- Guerrila Ops are rumors now and stay in the map until their dark event triggers.

"Oh, look, at the exact same time, this group deactivated a train and WE HAVE TO GO NOW and this tygan found a relay and WE HAVE TO GO NOW and a hacker set up a device we have to protect and WE HAVE TO GO NOW. It is amazing how these coincidences happen every month".

All rumors would be replaced with a Guerria Ops rumor; so when you are feeling ready for a mission, you go and scan for it.
Since you are possibly doing 3 times more guerrila Ops then normal, that should balance with not receiving any reward from rumors anymore; while also adding the inherent risk of going into a mission.

- You no longer lose the region when failling a VIP mission (both kinds), instead, it triggers the dark event that reduces retaliation time. Failing a retaliation would, in turn, make you lose the region.

The flavor of losing the region after failing to save a VIP seems to be that he informs Advent about the guerila on that region. Very well, then they go and attack.
Retaliation also gives no reward whatsoever (other than faceless bodies, which is arguably one of the most important things you can have in the entire game, but let's ignore that), so if you choose not to do a VIP mission, you miss out on their reward and have to do a mission later anyway (maybe right away).

- You no longer lose the region when failing a supply or UFO raid. They also stay on the map longer.

This might have to be accompanied by an increased difficulty of those particular missions, although they tend to be on the hard side of things already. Anyway, those missions should be seen as risk/reward stuff. Do you want to go on this harder-than-usual mission for the rewards? If not, then it's ok.

--

I guess that's it. The game would stop being about waiting for missions and become more about deciding when to go. It only forces your hand when it makes sense to (i.e., when the aliens are the ones attacking on retaliation). Other than that, the penalty to skipping a bunch of missions would be to just not have resources. And the risk for going on all of them would be that going on missions is something dangerous by itself (or should be, anyway).

Talk to me GAF. I might actually try to mod this stuff into the game. What do you think?

Apoc29

I wish EMP bombs did something to organic targets, like maybe disable their weapons. Probably wouldn't be too hard to mod in.

Falk

that puzzling face
Noticing quite an overlap in people posting in e.g. Stardew Valley thread.

Likely the long-term crowd would be waiting for stability patches. Legendary Ironman, esp. with the campaign length, still is a non-insignificant risk.

Stardew Valley is where all the resistance members are. It's like cover, but for your identity.

And yeah, I'm in the final stretch of my Veteran Ironman campaign, but I kinda don't want to finish until I at least have a chance of seeing a non-bugfest of a final level. Plus the performance issues are a constant bugbear that brings my experience down.

Mezano07

Neo Member
I sucked hard at this game. I've played EU before but this game is way harder.
I've left with only 2 squad members with no supply to recruit a new one before the retaliation mission even started in my first playthrough.

Top Bottom