• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Tempted to pull the trigger on this game due to the steam sale, but worried about performance. I hear there are still compatibility/framerate problems?

i5 4670k, 8 gigs of ram and a 7950.

Sooooooo, punchy robots, eh?

vTUZ5.gif

Sblargh

Banned
Woah, new DLC out of nowhere.

lol @ the trailer:

"These new units will be a powerful addition to our forces" *two mechs missing stuff that is obviously high %*

Sblargh

Banned
Bah, DLC apparently borked the mod launcher. :(

Edit: And when I try to launch with the game's own launcher, it crashes because of *some* mod (I deactivated a bunch and then it worked).
Previous patches did not messed mods up this way, before.

Edit 2: *sigh*, apparently is my own mod (Random Rookies) that is fucking things up and I don't even have the SDK installed anyome. And even if I had, I don't know if I have the heart to find out what the DLC could have possibly done to cause the mod to crash the entire game.

Sblargh

Banned
That sucks. Is there a way for mod creators to let users know about that kind of thing?

If I confirm my mod is fucking things up on its own, I guess I'll just remove it from the workshop. Causing a global crash is too much of a problem for "meh, I'll solve it one day".

If I have to guess, I would say they maybe changed how new characters are generated because we have mechs now and in a way they are considered new characters, but I would have to delete a bunch of stuff from my HD, then redownload the SDK which have infinite GBs, then investigate and *despair*

What sucks is that I really like my mod. Having to apply tattoos and facepaint manually is such a pain. =/

Skunkers

If I confirm my mod is fucking things up on its own, I guess I'll just remove it from the workshop. Causing a global crash is too much of a problem for "meh, I'll solve it one day".

If I have to guess, I would say they maybe changed how new characters are generated because we have mechs now and in a way they are considered new characters, but I would have to delete a bunch of stuff from my HD, then redownload the SDK which have infinite GBs, then investigate and *despair*

What sucks is that I really like my mod. Having to apply tattoos and facepaint manually is such a pain. =/

Yeah, some of the mods I have installed just stopped working too. I had a Stormtrooper helmet mod installed, and when I just started this newest game to play the new DLC I noticed my character pool saved Stormtrooper TK421 no longer had his helmet on, and it doesn't show up in the helmet list anymore. Not sure what else is broken.

Holy shit they could not have picked a less intimidating head for that mech.

But yeah, MEC units without sacrificing soldiers I suppose. I always kinda liked the biomechanical aspect, but it's tempting to get this DLC since it actually looks substantial enough.

Sblargh

Banned
Holy shit they could not have picked a less intimidating head for that mech.

But yeah, MEC units without sacrificing soldiers I suppose. I always kinda liked the biomechanical aspect, but it's tempting to get this DLC since it actually looks substantial enough.

There are a bunch of heads to choose through (5 or 6, I think), the default one is the worst, yeah.

Balance is all over the place on a vanilla game now with this mod. Alien Rulers introduced OP weapons, but had the rulers themselves which, in the end, I think ended up throwing the game on the "it is tougher now" side (but nowhere near some people on this thread saying they are broken. Alien Rulers very legit threat that makes you play slightly different, but they are also completely defeatable, easy even if you happen to come across them on the ideal circunstance of an overwatch trap with no other pods around.)
But now, the Spark is a straight-up buff. Activate overdrive, blow up cover, shoot twice at what survived, all in one turn. Yeah.
Also, not irrelevant on Legend are the 2 extra missions (one from each DLC) that come relatively early in the game, since it is a *lot* of extra XP leading to very early squad size upgrades, which helps a lot.

So, in total, with this DLC, I would say the game is a lot less intimidating then it was on Vanilla. The tower mission is amazing, I loved it, tho it is very long (44 turns and 53 enemies on my first run, 35 of which I killed, which, again, means 35 more enemies worth of XP), I didn't find it hard at all, especially because you can use Shen as a living mimic beacon who has such a holy shit array of OP shenanigans for that mission (basically, a lot of cooldowns that instakill stuff). Then, after a not-that-hard mission which comes even before the ruler ice cave, you get a spark, who doesn't need to wait until fully healed to go back out there and just roflstomp eveything.

So how is the stability of the new DLC?
Many players on reddit and steam complained about crashes and freezes during the new misssion.

Sblargh

Banned
Many players on reddit and steam complained about crashes and freezes during the new misssion.

It was ok to me, but there were a couple of moments where more than one character wanted to do expository dialogue at the same time and so there were two audios playing at the same time, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is more weirdness that I just didn't experienced.

Any rumours of a second season pass or is this all the DLC we're getting?

I think those last 2 DLCs added a lot, so I am hoping so. I would like a more full-blown expansion, tho.

Longer Names and some other mod(s) cause crashes and/or create 1.6GB log files, so some stuff has to be tweaked.

Also, protip: the DLC resets your XComGameEngine (IIRC) ini file, so go back in there and set the DirectX11 setting to true for a performance boost.

SRG01

Oh come on, I just uninstalled XCOM 2 the other day to regain some SSD space :(

How many extra missions are included with this DLC? The last DLC formally only had one extra IIRC, but included the rulers as extra content...

Sblargh

Banned
While I still think the idea behind Gueriilla War is the greatest thing evah, I decied to wait a bit for some updates, namely, for that mod to work, you really really really need a mod that, according to the author someone is already working on, that changes how you carry corpses (i.e., make it like the sword ability, where you target a body at a distance and then walk torwards it), because the "guess which tile the body actually is" is a living hell.

Also, I personally would want it to be configurable so it only activated on missions that replace timers. Changing timers to constant reinforcement + need for evac is really the genious design idea, but every mission that does not have a timer, it feels off; it may be that I suck, but retaliation missions for example feel almost impossible with the mod on atm.

Also, this already happened: praise the mod scene.

Longer Names and some other mod(s) cause crashes and/or create 1.6GB log files, so some stuff has to be tweaked.

Also, protip: the DLC resets your XComGameEngine (IIRC) ini file, so go back in there and set the DirectX11 setting to true for a performance boost.
Huh? All the time I've been playing this it's not been DX11? Where is the config, My Documents (My Games) or installation folder? Tried both but couldn't find anything.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm really enjoying the game so far. Got teh deluxe edition so it came with all DLC.

The Shen mission was tough because I'm still getting used to the XCOM 2 style of just booking it instead of playing super safe like you would in Enemy Within. I cleared in like... 59 turns and one death.
Finished about one or two turns away from getting completely fucked - I was cornered, low on ammo and things were quickly starting to surround me. Plus I had accidentally buffed Julian from trying to hack him.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far. Got teh deluxe edition so it came with all DLC.

The Shen mission was tough because I'm still getting used to the XCOM 2 style of just booking it instead of playing super safe like you would in Enemy Within. I cleared in like... 59 turns and one death.
Finished about one or two turns away from getting completely fucked - I was cornered, low on ammo and things were quickly starting to surround me. Plus I had accidentally buffed Julian from trying to hack him.

one death was worth it if you did the mission as soon as it popped because Spark is soooo good that early game. Later on, the enemies difficulty scale to catch up with him, but just that rocket of his is godlike before the more tough stuff start appearing.

Just finish my all DLC legend run. 2 deaths overall, one on gatecrasher, fuck that mission.
The other was so unfortunate, a sniper I had non-stop since the first mission, never even got injuried, always back and usually safe, until this one time where a crysalid appeared behind him while the rest of the squad was way upfront still fighting the Archon King. I kept him back because was just one crysalid, but that one crysalid started attacking civilians and soon enough I had to deal with baby crysalids and so unfortunate. :(
A real hero, that one.

Huh? All the time I've been playing this it's not been DX11? Where is the config, My Documents (My Games) or installation folder? Tried both but couldn't find anything.
It's in My Documents (My Games)/XCOM2/(this is where I get fuzzy)XComGame/Config/XComGameEngine.ini. To find it, just search for 11 and you'll find it. Set it to true to enable DX11.

Oppo

question about hacking:

I've save-scammed a particular attack on a sectopod but despite being around 50%, it has failed 9 times in a row. does the random seed decide "failure" or a specific number ahead of time? because I keep "rolling" failures beyond what is believable but they are all different . I hate this aspect for design reasons - the idea that an ability can not only fail but incur a penalty is fucked up in my view. am I wasting my time?

Sblargh

Banned
^ every roll is based on the seed generated at the beggining of the mission, a way to cheat that, I think, is to make someone else do an action before re-attempting the 50% roll.
-

How I justify to myself using the quick start mod:

"So, Bradford, I know I just woke up and all and, well, hell of a job on rescuing me by the way, I am just wondering, what exactly is this next mission you got lined up?"
"Well, you see commander, I think we should make a big statement, right? Send a message. So we got this squad of 4 rookies lined up to go in the heart of enemy territory and blow up a big statue of the elders."
"Cool cool... is this statue a command center or anything like that?"
"...no, it's just a statue."
"So, blowing it up doesn't stop them from doing anything, doesn't give us any further advantage, nothing like that?"
"It sends a message!"
"And will it accompany a video statement to be broadcast or something like that?"
"...no, we will... you know, blow up the statue and that's it."
"So, the aliens control all the media, entertainment and who have cured cancer and malaria while giving people on the cities unprecedent quality of life. They are worshiped as saviors and there is absolutely no reason for people not to think so, since, you know, cure of cancer and all that. We're just going to randomly drop 4 armed soldiers into what you call 'their litle utopia', endanger and possibly kill civilians in the process of blowing up a symbol of, among other things, the cure of cancer, have I mentioned that they cured cancer? Cool, because these are the beings that cured cancer and we're just going to blow up one of their statues. Now, you are the average joe who just had his cancer cured. You have no statement from us, no set of values we defend, no nothing. Everything you know - if you know - is that violent warriors just blown up a statue. What kind of message that this send?"
"..."
"Hell of a job on that rescue Bradford, I'll take over from here."

Adnor

Banned
question about hacking:

I've save-scammed a particular attack on a sectopod but despite being around 50%, it has failed 9 times in a row. does the random seed decide "failure" or a specific number ahead of time? because I keep "rolling" failures beyond what is believable but they are all different . I hate this aspect for design reasons - the idea that an ability can not only fail but incur a penalty is fucked up in my view. am I wasting my time?

You can't just save scum dice rolls because the seed is the same. If you want different results you'll have to change the roll, for example moving different units, or in different order or changing your strategy.

Vex_

Banned

OK. I didn't know about this in the first place lol

So I bought the season pass on the steam sale and now I have a teleporting blue snake that is following my characters and wiping them all out every mission. What have I done?????????

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So I bought the season pass on the steam sale and now I have a teleporting blue snake that is following my characters and wiping them all out every mission. What have I done?????????

You've made a new friend, congratulations.

Don't worry. The enemies from that DLC get hard soon.

The alien hunter DLC is what caused the king to appear. It will keep coming back until you kill it, but it keeps the same health as when it last ran away.

Top Bottom