• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Dr Dogg

Seeing as the Guile hairdo keeps on popping up and Street Fighter is only around the corner I have this strange compulsion to create the rest of The World Warriors for the character pool.

Anno

I love the fact that grenades have no impact on loot - full destruction mode on! :D

They should prevent enemies from dropping loot. I thought there was even a pop up telling you some was lost lol. Apparently it doesn't blow it up if it's already on the ground?

Dr Dogg

I don't know why but the potential to do this is amusing me far too much.
377765FD36AF22B19C38534165AA72DC50010116

3E1EB8B4FF05760616FFCA58B048E64C77B6ED18

The timers are actually super smart at making you do more than the creep/overwatch nonsense of the first game. You gotta be tactical and take a few risks now and then. It's so exciting.

Drop. Get in. Smash and grab. Get out.

Gothos

They do, if you grenade an alien to death, it has a great chance of destroying the loot. You get a pop up saying so when that happens, and it happens easily.

Crap :(

One question: scanning at HQ is only for moving time forward and the supplies income near it indicates the monthly income, right?

Also, monthly report is on the 22nd of the month? Weird.

Khoryos

They do, if you grenade an alien to death, it has a great chance of destroying the loot. You get a pop up saying so when that happens, and it happens easily.
Yeah, I popped a grenade on a stunlancer which destroyed the loot- and then he was reanimated, and dropped the loot again when I put him down! That was nice.

peakish

God damnit, I just lost my veteran squad during a mission. Current status: This fucking sucks.

Gonna keep playing, but shit it feels terrible getting wiped like this. The game is totally toying with my expectations built from the last game. Which on the other hand is kind of cool.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Went from failing miserably the second mission, to passing the mission but losing one soldier and everyone else gravely wounded, to the third mission ( maybe just a random one? Defend transmitter in rain) in which I got my first flawless rating. Not a single soldier even got hit.

8 turns
11 Enemies Killed
0 Soldiers wounded
0 Soldiers Killed

Rating FLAWLESS

Take that Alien Scum.

Yes I know they will mercilessly kick my ass the rest of the game. Just let me have this small victory.

It has not shown up for me with the tutorial on... also I've only played commander difficulty.

Was it a bug for me? I've restarted 3x due to other bugs and trying to make sure I was on Iron Man. Commander difficulty, then I enable tutorial, then it asks if I wanna enable Iron Man so I do.

I can even link video if it's wanted.

anddo0

Anyone have trouble launching the game?

My game crashes after the splash screens, and kicks me back to the desktop.

error code 41

Mupod

might restart my playthrough...for some reason I didn't equate the game screaming at me about 'resistance communication' with 'this is the game's equivalent of satellites'. I also did a bunch of autopsies thinking the items I'd get would be useful, and built the training school but I lost my only sergeant (the sniper that was 1 tile from evac) so I couldn't get squad size anyways. I can probably still salvage it though.

Klyka

Banned
Got an SMG on my ranger so she can run even further to use her sword or flank.

Using an SMG on a medkit rookie as well,so he can better get to people who need help.

bjaelke

Im confused as to what this does?

Also, how do we access DLC from the delux edition?

The resistance armor should already be available when you go to loadout. The rest of the dlc is post-release.

ANARCHY’S CHILDREN is a rebellion themed DLC featuring more dramatic soldier customizations. (To be released in Spring 2016)
ALIEN HUNTERS introduces new soldier customizations and gameplay themed around XCOM as an elite alien hunting unit. Face off against “Ruler” aliens with new, more powerful weapons and armor. Experience a new dramatic mission & confrontation. (To be released in Summer 2016)
SHEN’S LAST GIFT introduces a new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, and a new narrative-driven mission and map. (To be released in Summer 2016)

Tworak

Got an SMG on my ranger so she can run even further to use her sword or flank.

Using an SMG on a medkit rookie as well,so he can better get to people who need help.
rangers too right. yeah, smgs on sword rangers is probably pretty amazing.

Jintor

got completely rekt on my first real mission when my ambush tactic failed because ALL MY FUCKING OVERWATCH INFANTRY MISSED, ALL THREE OF THEM IN A ROW

URGH thats xcom baby

Lanrutcon

So remember how satellites were the artificial cockblock in the last game?

They've just renamed them to "contacts". Same deal. If you don't keep up with the curve you game over despite anything else.

Sarek

I've heard the difficulty is pretty high on this game. How easy is it on easy? does it go to far too easy?

Trying to decide between veteran or commander ironman myself too. Did first 5 or so so missions on commander without any trouble, but obviously that is very early in the game.

FiraB

Banned
The timers are actually super smart at making you do more than the creep/overwatch nonsense of the first game. You gotta be tactical and take a few risks now and then. It's so exciting.

Drop. Get in. Smash and grab. Get out.
Have to agree.

I did a capture mission and it was the first time meeting stun lancers, my rookie got stunned and fully taken out. I tried to get him to evac with one of my vets but it was him or three squad members + my capture, poor poor nikita is so screwed because my game at the moment is all over the place from lack of intel.

Mind you I have power armor and plasma weapons already so if I get that intel I sorely need I am going on a rampage through some blacksites to lower my avatar meter.

Oh and for anyone wondering you can perfect recreate a certain someone from breaking bad ;)

Mupod

'ok there's not much cover up here on this cliff so I'll just park this rookie a few steps from the edge'

I apparently misjudged the angles and ranges at which advents can make shots.

She got the last laugh though - trucked on through the mission with 1 hp and took out the guy who hit her, one other trooper, and used her high perch to finish off a certain new (fucking scary looking) enemy type. Too bad she's wounded for a while.

Wounded soldiers have been a big deal for me so far. The game rapid fires so much shit at you early on they are gone for many missions in a row. I only just now got back my guys from the intro mission, and I've almost made contact with my second resistance zone.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The resistance armor should already be available when you go to loadout. The rest of the dlc is post-release.

Ah thanks found it. Kind of cool you can change the cosmetics of the armor while still keeping the stats.

Q/E rotates the screen at a set and relatively large angle, I assume this mod allows for a far smoother turning experience (degree by degree).

Nice. Downloading now, going to try it with the steam controller.

Would like to pick this up now but I haven't beaten the first game yet. It looks really nice from what I've seen so far though.

You really don't have to beat the first game. In fact, beating it directly contradicts 2. Load up the original, lose on purpose( or just get defeated all natural) and you're all caught up.

You could in fact just watch the fail state cinimatic on YouTube and be all caught up.

Does anybody know how to access/use loot you pick up? I picked up a scope and auto-loader from downed aliens, but couldn't find them to equip in the base.

Mupod

oh yeah, I got Vulture last night and whenever I loot an enemy it's still only giving me one item at a time. Did I misread?

red731

Does anybody know how to access/use loot you pick up? I picked up a scope and auto-loader from downed aliens, but couldn't find them to equip in the base.

Edit your soldier's weapon. Character cust screen.

I want to be home.
I have enough of work for today.
I have world to save ffs.

Edit: yeah, you must have modular weapons

You really don't have to beat the first game. In fact, beating it directly contradicts 2. Load up the original, lose on purpose( or just get defeated all natural) and you're all caught up.

You could in fact just watch the fail state cinimatic on YouTube and be all caught up.

Good to know. I briefly read how that was the case (and also briefly saw a cutscene showing just that in a XCOM 2 stream).

May just jump in later today then.

red731

If a mission ends before you pick up loot that is still on the ground, do you get the loot?

Yes. You'll pickup everything.
Exception is if you evac and not finish the mission.

Take it like this - you clear the mission, all ayys gone and you can loot and scavage.

Top Bottom