• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

AxeMan

You shouldn't worry about that. I hate timers in 95% of games and they are excellent in XCOM 2. The game is also set up so that you are supposed to go in hard and fast, and taking out timers would ruin the whole experience. Some of the timers are also set up so that you can achieve the objective and finish up the aliens without a timer. The hardest missions don't have timers at all.

All well and good but don't put them on a majority of missions

As soon as you get the chance, research the Faceless autopsy and build a Mimic Beacon. It's like a flashbang/smoke grenade on steroids. If you're in a really tough situation, it'll draw all the fire away from your flanked troops.

I love xcom, one of the best games ever made. The newest remake was pretty good too. I didn't like the squad size limitation though.

What I worry about in the new one is the time limits being on most missions it seems. I like to take my time and set things up. I hope that it gets modded out.

It's really not bad, the game is balanced around the timers. Your squad quickly becomes very powerful, if you were able to set up ambushes the whole time the game would be a cakewalk. Having to move quickly and efficiently is a really great change to the formula.

Lanrutcon

What's with the damage system? I assume there are grades of wounded, but any hit I take puts me in gravely wounded status.

golem

This game really likes giving me the guile haircut.. two characters now, different sexes too lol

24736338011_d700a37f02_b.jpg

Is there any way to share created characters? If not, there should be. I probably spent the past hour or so making characters... even though they'll likely all end up dead.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
There really needs to be an option to speed up the game, enemy turns taking far too long.

AxeMan

Why not? They add to, not subtract from the experience.

It's not how I like to play the game. So it seems that I won't like this xcom.

Timed missions
Squad size limitations
No base building

All things should be removed in my opinion. I put up with the last two in the remake, not sure I'm really interested with the timer on top of it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just did the first 4 soldier mission (still in the tutorial part I guess), man...that x-com feel :D

Khoryos

Do we know if you get anything for extracting advent VIPs, rather than killing them? I just got one, but I don't seem to have anything to do with him.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Two things:

1) Commanders crit through full cover fucking BULLSHIT amounts (Not even marked). Ridiculous. Always from 10 tiles away too. Commander Difficulty.

2) Guess what happened?
Three Overwatch misses from 4 tiles away into a Rookie panic throwing a grenade on a second story to wipe my entire squad (3+4 fall damage). Oh, and then the hole he opened up let him get crit and die next turn.

Do we know if you get anything for extracting advent VIPs, rather than killing them? I just got one, but I don't seem to have anything to do with him.
I think you get Intel.

Timed missions
Squad size limitations
No base building

All things should be removed in my opinion. I put up with the last two in the remake, not sure I'm really interested with the timer on top of it
You can already edit the squad size yourself right now in the .ini
Timer mod will happen in the next few days.
Dunno about the base building right out of the gate, but the Workshop wants to be connected for GREMLIN stuff or something.

Klyka

Banned

Timed missions
Squad size limitations
No base building

hey.

hey son.

you could mod the game to be like that

maybe you'll become the next "Long War dev" :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I get how people hate time limits but in this case this somehow bothers me :s

It's like playing Dark Souls with an unlimited Estus trainer installed.

seems people are refusing to accept that the game was built around it this time. Well some people

Klyka

Banned
seems people are refusing to accept that the game was built around it this time. Well some people

To be fair, this is now a fully moddable game,meaning there won't be a "standard" anymore and people can do whatever they want.

Hell, already I am the only one out of my friends using the three starting mods,cause they are basically cut content :D

Lanrutcon

I get how people hate time limits but in this case this somehow bothers me :s

It's like playing Dark Souls with an unlimited Estus trainer installed.

I get the balance angle, I really do. I understand the reasoning.

It's just...it lessens my enjoyment of a mission when half the cool tactical options fly out the window in the face of a timer. It's probably a much smaller deal to other people, I guess.

Big Brett

I'm only in the first 3-4 missions but I can't help but feel apprehensive at every decision I make when it comes to upgrading my HQ and researching. Is there really a "wrong" way to do it all? Can I screw myself royally? On Veteran.

Edit: I'd like to add its 5 am what has this game done to me

James-Ape

show some balls, man

Timed missions
Squad size limitations
No base building

I'm going to give the sequel a try, but this is what put me off of the remake vs the original. I still appreciate that firaxis tried something different and it clearly resonated with most people, but it's not really how I liked to play the original.

Echoplx

I'm only in the first 3-4 missions but I can't help but feel apprehensive at every decision I make when it comes to upgrading my HQ and researching. Is there really a "wrong" way to do it all? Can I screw myself royally? On Veteran.

Not really, its pretty much impossible to fuck up, there's probably some efficient ways of placing things with regards to the workshop gremlins and adjacent buildings but it's not a big deal.

AxeMan

Two things:

You can already edit the squad size yourself right now in the .ini
Timer mod will happen in the next few days.
Dunno about the base building right out of the gate, but the Workshop wants to be connected for GREMLIN stuff or something.

Sounds excellent. I hope the timer stuff does happen.
How big can I make my squad? Can I send as many troops as I have / have space for like in the original?

hey.

hey son.

you could mod the game to be like that

maybe you'll become the next "Long War dev" :D

I have no where near the ability to do that. But if someone is taking suggestions then give me the ability to use all my time units as I see fit as well

I'm going to give the sequel a try, but this is what put me off of the remake vs the original. I still appreciate that firaxis tried something different and it clearly resonated with most people, but it's not really how I liked to play the original.

I don't understand why the limited the squad size at all, that made no sense. And not being able to use my time units in any way I wanted.
The remake was a good game but this added "feature" of timed missions........I'm not on board. Might be the straw that breaks the camels back

Klyka

Banned
Sounds excellent. I hope the timer stuff does happen.
How big can I make my squad? Can I send as many troops as I have / have space for like in the original?

I have no where near the ability to do that. But if someone is taking suggestions then give me the ability to use all my time units as I see fit as well

There ain't no time units here son, ain't nobody got time for that.

But of course, there will be a mod for it :D

Also, ETA on first "nude mods" anyone? We all know it'll happen.
And of course the "my little pony aliens" mod

Echoplx

All I can say is I hope these mods you use do more to balance the game around the changes because otherwise you'll basically be playing the game on easy mode.

Big Brett

Not really, its pretty much impossible to fuck up, there's probably some efficient ways of placing things with regards to the workshop gremlins and adjacent buildings but it's not a big deal.

Ok great. A timer being attached to everything makes me anxious about efficiency so it's good to know it's hard to fuck up. Basically played EU to completion at launch and never played it again, so it's taking a bit to get back into the swing of things.

Echoplx

Ok great. A timer being attached to everything makes me anxious about efficiency so it's good to know it's hard to fuck up. Basically played EU to completion at launch and never played it again, so it's taking a bit to get back into the swing of things.

Even if the avatar project fills up you get 20 days to knock it back and just doing story missions takes a fair bit off. Just make sure you have enough contact slots if you want to stay on top of it.

Carcetti

I get the balance angle, I really do. I understand the reasoning.

It's just...it lessens my enjoyment of a mission when half the cool tactical options fly out the window in the face of a timer. It's probably a much smaller deal to other people, I guess.

I hear you, used to think exactly the same way. In this case I feel that timers just make the game so much more interesting. There's still lots of options for every situation, especially when your soldiers level up and you get more gadgets, but you just need to use them to push speed. I absolutely adore the feeling of urgency in this game, so I'm sort of trying to proselytize anti-timer people to give them a fair go. One of the best feelings I've had with this game so far was when a high level soldier got to extraction plane with his final move, with zero turns and zero move squares remaining.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Second mission kicked my ass, but loving the game thus far. Presentation is great, controls are a natural evolution(using steam controller), and knowing that there are infinite maps, endless modeling, new soldier perks and abilities, and custimization options has me frothing at the mouth.

My first impressions are great, though the camera can be a little janky.
Selecting the correct tile is just as awkward as the first game, which is a bit annoying too.

The timers seem to work well. You're not 'rushed' like Valkyria Chronicles or whatever.
You've got plenty of time to advance carefully, you just don't get to do the tedious "move/reload with one guy, overwatch everyone, end turn, repeat" dance.
It makes for interesting choices about whether to spend a turn reloading/consolidating, or whether to push on. You have time to set up ambushes, explore and reload - but you won't be reloading everyone just because their magazine isn't maxed.

The sectoids are bastards as always, and the commanders seem pretty accurate on veteran (though I have a small sample size so far!).

Lost a guy on the first mission because the commander hit him twice while he was behind heavy cover (and at extreme range on the 2nd shot, since I had him retreat).
Oh well, that's XCOM baby. Plenty more grunts in the barracks.

The Long War mods seem good, though I've only been able to experience the SMG one so far. I'd advise everyone to activate them. You can always just not use the SMG (and probably officer promotion) if you decide later that they're crap. The muton commander thing looks like it'll add some challenge to the late game.

The SMG gives you a +3 speed buff (goes from 12 to 15), but does 1 less damage and has 1 less mag size than the assault rifle. I think it also lets you get closer without breaking concealment.
That seems like a good balance. It's definitely not overpowered and IMO the rifle is slightly better in most situations on veteran. Losing 1 damage means no guarantee of 1-shotting an advent grunt, which is a big deal in the early game. The higher tech SMGs might be better though, and it'd be good for scouts (and a pistol-based sniper/gunslinger might be viable?).

dumbo

For me, I'm not losing "cool tactical options", instead I'm being forced to use those cool tactical options.

This is pretty much 'XCOM: special forces edition' rather than 'XCOM: trench warfare', and I don't think you'd experience that change without the timer.

Wes

venison crêpe
I've only done half a dozen operations thusfar but I haven't found the timers very invasive. Do you have to be bolder? Sure. But that just adds to the tension and high stakes nature for me.

And I've had timers only in about half my missions so far.

Spinifex

So, whenever I go to the Customize Loadout screen, I'm there forever. No way to get back. Have to ALT F4 and load last save.

Is there enough new things in this that the tutorial is worth checking out coming from the previous game? I want to play Ironman.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

Timed missions
Squad size limitations
No base building

I hear you on all this stuff. I've just come to accept that this new series is much, much different than the original. A bummer, but a new experience at least.

Top Bottom