• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

IIRC If the aliens flank you at all no matter what cover, you're exposed - and I think their sight line goes up significantly if you stop a turn in no cover.

You can be 'hiding' in red/sight tiles if you were already there on a previous turn, and the aliens just moved into range. As long as you're not flanked, you won't get exposed. At that point, you have to start the ambush yourself to get the ball rolling, otherwise they'll continue their pattern.

Thanks.

Another question. I know they wanted to up wounded time to make you use more soldiers, and not get so attached to certain ones for when you eventually lose them, but is anyone else seeing "gravely wounded" for all different types of injuries? Injured to one health, 3 of 6, all different types, gravely wounded.

After this last mission, I honestly don't have enough soldiers healthy to even do a mission. :p

Can someone help me explain why, on the strategic layer, while scanning I'm going into negative days? For example, scanning for supplies and the 6 day countdown hits zero, then starts counting -1,-2,-3. Meanwhile, Advent is advancing the Avatar project and I can't seem to progress.

Dr Dogg

Those Sectoids are motherfuckers now! Probably payback for all the stompings they got in the past but just ignoring one while I concentrated on 3 regular Advent soldiers almost cost me all 4 members of my squad.

Started the game up this morning... started making some custom characters

created:
Commissar "Ibram" Gaunt
Hlaine "Mad" Larkin
Elim Rawne

Looking forward to having Gaunt's Ghosts appear thru the story (no idea how this actually works yet).

Mupod

How much story do you miss out on if you skip the tutorial?

curious how long it goes on for...I got a couple missions in and they were pretty cool, not used to that level of story presentation in an XCOM game. Felt like I saw more cutscenes in those two missions than were in EU/EW combined. But I stopped playing and restarted on ironman.

dumbo

Those Sectoids are motherfuckers now! Probably payback for all the stomping they got in the past but just ignoring one while I concentrated on 3 regular Advent soldiers almost cost me all 4 members of my squad.

Sectoids (almost) always use "abilities" rather than shoot. But those abilities don't really do anything serious until the turn after they've used them... so just kill everything else and then kill the sectoid.

On the other hand - [censored] lancers.

Volodja

I despise Extract VIP missions.

This time the soldier I used to go free the hostage Panicked from poison when I had 3 turns left and just kept panicking until I lost both the chance to get the hostage out and the soldier itself.

datruth29

Anyone try out Long War Studio's three mods?

The leader one is the most intriguing to me but I don't want to break things.

Only have the SMG and Leader mods enabled. The SMG trades power for mobility, which can be useful on a rangers given a play style. I haven't messed with the Leader Pack, I don't have the resources to dedicate towards that yet.

Second mission

I set one of my soldier on fire, she dies in 2 turns

Sectoid raise her as a zombie, she kills another one of my team

the only one that is not a rookie panic and shoot a truck that in a single turn blows up and kills another soldier

23B47CA53CE8D98763D24DBE171E11DAEF2319B6

Sarek

Those Sectoids are motherfuckers now! Probably payback for all the stompings they got in the past but just ignoring one while I concentrated on 3 regular Advent soldiers almost cost me all 4 members of my squad.

Two sectoids caused my first retaliation mission on veteran/ironman to be a complete fiasco. Them mindcontrolling and resurrecting more enemies ended up causing me to lose my whole squad. Part of it was also me not noticing that one of my soldiers was standing next to burning car though... Anyway was really early so I'll just start a new game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
One of my best soldiers couldn't make it to the evac point on time and got captured during a mission (she was a freaking hex away from the evac point before the timer run out). Please tell me that I can rescue her later so that she won't get tortured to death by the aliens

Friend got this and is (the first person I've seen to be) disappointed in it.

Are all of these true?

-automatically ejected out of missions on completion, so you can't pick up squaddies and carry them to the ranger/evac point and therefore lose their stuff, there is no way to drop squaddies off in the skyranger before you complete a mission either (a la XCOM UFO Defense)
-took away pistols from non-sharpshooter classes
-removed the ability to wait to start missions from the geoscape in the instance that you're waiting to complete some crucial research or an engineering project, and instead declining a mission cancels it out completely

McNum

How fast do you need to get the resistance comms set up? I still only have the basic three, but a facility sprung up two links away, so I think I have to start expanding. And build a Proving Grounds. And a Workshop for staffing Gremlins. And get more power.

I'm just wondering if the next facility should be Resistance Comms or Proving Grounds. Then a Workshop in between them.

Mupod

LLQtfSw.png

And it's still Friday on early hours. Holly macaroni.

my roommate who is a self proclaimed hater of turn based games and refused to even let me show him the original is getting it after watching me play a little last night.

Anno

Are all of these true?

Point 1 I think only matters if it's a mission you need to evac out of at the end. If it's a mission that ends without evac I think you keep the stuff much as you would collect any loot that's on the ground. I might be wrong, but I think that's what I observed.

Point 2 is accurate. I think the compensation there somewhat is being able to reload and fire in the same turn.

Not sure on point 3.

created:
Commissar "Ibram" Gaunt
Hlaine "Mad" Larkin
Elim Rawne

Looking forward to having Gaunt's Ghosts appear thru the story (no idea how this actually works yet).

I'm sending you a fist bump through the warp. I've been reading this series for a while now and adore it.

curious how long it goes on for...I got a couple missions in and they were pretty cool, not used to that level of story presentation in an XCOM game. Felt like I saw more cutscenes in those two missions than were in EU/EW combined. But I stopped playing and restarted on ironman.

That's my fear. I like the story and lore, but I also want a bit more freedom and flexibility. I don't want to miss out on story, but I don't want to be pushed into my next best objective after every mission either.

created:
Commissar "Ibram" Gaunt
Hlaine "Mad" Larkin
Elim Rawne

Oh man, I need to make Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) now.

Lanrutcon

Is anyone's suppressing fire causing reaction fire at all? I think it's bugged.

And Berzerkers...are they getting stuck in scenery?

Edit: Just had a CTD. Don't press arrows keys on the screen where you select your level up abilities.

Are all of these true?

-automatically ejected out of missions on completion, so you can't pick up squaddies and carry them to the ranger/evac point and therefore lose their stuff, there is no way to drop squaddies off in the skyranger before you complete a mission either (a la XCOM UFO Defense)
not entirely true, depends on the mission type. on some missions you need to get all operatives to an evac point or the stragglers will be captured, and can be rescued in later missions. others you need to just eliminate all opposition and operatives are auto extracted.

-took away pistols from non-sharpshooter classes
true, but each class now has a unique secondary weapon. also reload does not end a turn

-removed the ability to wait to start missions from the geoscape in the instance that you're waiting to complete some crucial research or an engineering project, and instead declining a mission cancels it out completely
the geoscape game is entirely different with its own set of new mechanics, so this gripe doesnt make sense in the context of the new game

Stiler

I am still confused in regard to the rangers melee attack.

During the tutorial it says you can click your mouse on an enemy and choose the direction to attack, wtf does this mean?

Cause when I click the enemy it simply goes into the fire mode and does nothing with slash.

I have to actually select slash and then the enemy I want to attack, I see nohting about "Directional" attacks or anything...

During the tutorial it says you can click your mouse on an enemy and choose the direction to attack, wtf does this mean?

Cause when I click the enemy it simply goes into the fire mode and does nothing with slash.

I have to actually select slash and then the enemy I want to attack, I see nohting about "Directional" attacks or anything...

If you move your ranger's movement cursor adjacent to the enemy, you'll see a sword icon on the ground with an arrow pointing towards the opponent. You can do it diagonally or across low cover, too.

datruth29

Are all of these true?

1) Automatically ejected? Only if you are in the evac zone. If you have the time, you can pick up the solider or the weapons that they dropped. Unless their's an evac mission that ends before you can actually evac, I haven't encountered anything like that.

2) Yep, but this is replaced by each class having a unique sub-weapon, and reloads no longer taking up an entire turn.

3) Yeah, I think this is true? I'm not sure, I haven't been given two missions at the same time. I've been given scanning missions and tac missions at the same time, but not two tac missions. But I do know that you can't complete everything in the game, some missions you have to let go.

Anno

Put your cursor in the square you want your ranger to end in, then move the cursor onto the alien. The sword icon should appear on the ground then you just click to execute. It's a little finicky.

Khoryos

Put your cursor in the square you want your ranger to end in, then move the cursor onto the alien. The sword icon should appear on the ground then you just click to execute. It's a little finicky.

Specifically, RIGHTclick. if it's just bringing up the fire menu, you're left-clicking.

Stiler

If you move your ranger's movement cursor adjacent to the enemy, you'll see a sword icon on the ground with an arrow pointing towards the opponent. You can do it diagonally or across low cover, too.

Ah I see, thanks.

I coulda swore it said put the cursor over an enemy and that was throwing me off.

Is it just me or are the hair colors in the character creator way darker than what the palettes show? Like trying to pick a lighter blonde or red and on the character it just looks like a shade of brown...

There is an overwhelming amount of crap happening on the world map. I'm sure down the line everything will make sense, but right now the Commander can't even take a dump without 5 different things triggering.

Even having to spend days getting your monthly income...oh fuck you, Firaxis. Fuck you very much. ;)

Steel

Banned
Spent a couple hours making a huge pool of characters last night.

Most of them will probably die, so, with that in mind, my first two characters were named Leroy and Lisa Jenkins. My hope is that these two will be the first to go, as I made their armor hot pink to make sure no one can miss them.

Is it just me or are the hair colors in the character creator way darker than what the palettes show? Like trying to pick a lighter blonde or red and on the character it just looks like a shade of brown...

Opposite for me. I mean, the blackest hair option isn't even black.

631 MB Update?

And I haven't started playing yet. Been distracted by other things and I know from experience with EW that the game will be taxing on the mind to play, so I want to be fresh going in.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So now that I redone loaded the game it seems to be working well. But how do I get the SMG pack to show up?

Do I have to start a new game?

Never mind. Got it on restart.

Looks awesome, can't wait to try it out.

The mods for this game will be amazing.

Eyeh4wk

Jesus, Sectoids can mind control right at the start. Thats insane! Also is it just me or Bradford looks like Channing Tatum? lol

Wtf. So when you make a character pool and let characters have a chance at Being vips, you can't actually use them after you save them?! I made my main character from the last game a vip and I saved his ass, and now he's just a scientist? Fuck that. Dumb mechanic.

studyguy

Game is fun as shit. Also flashbangs are massively helpful.
Forces sectoids to just shoot at you, breaks all their mind bullshit, instakills their mind zombies if you toss one at the sectoid.

Top Bottom