• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Opposite for me. I mean, the blackest hair option isn't even black.

Yeah, I guess the hair colors and skin colors in the CC just don't seem to match what you see on the color palettes- they're either to bright or too dark. Trying to make somebody with red hair and at least with the lighting in the CC, at best it comes out looking varying shades of brown.

I remember seeing a preview which mentioned that the game would show if you would have line of sight on an enemy from your next position before moving. Is that actually in the game?

bjaelke

I remember seeing a preview which mentioned that the game would show if you would have line of sight on an enemy from your next position before moving. Is that actually in the game?

There should be a small crosshair above an enemy if you have line of sight from your cursor's position.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you recruit scientists and engineers? I remember seeing I had 2 available, but didn't have the funds... Now I can't figure out how to get back to that screen.

McNum

How do you recruit scientists and engineers? I remember seeing I had 2 available, but didn't have the funds... Now I can't figure out how to get back to that screen.
It's the left button on the Resistance HQ location. The one that doesn't fast-forward.

By the way, anyone been hunted by a UFO yet? How does that work? It's one of my upcoming Dark Events, so I wonder if I should let that happen, or attempt to block it. All in all, it's rather benign on a strategic level, isn't it?

Mupod

It's the left button on the Resistance HQ location. The one that doesn't fast-forward.

By the way, anyone been hunted by a UFO yet? How does that work? It's one of my upcoming Dark Events, so I wonder if I should let that happen, or attempt to block it. All in all, it's rather benign on a strategic level, isn't it?

I was going to let it through just to see what happens. I can guess, of course.

Corpekata

Banned

I am currently. Haven't touched it yet, but I see it flying around on the map, presumably you get boarded or suffer some sort of loss if you touch it. It seems like it might disrupt your scanning as when it gets close you'd need to move away.

McNum

I was going to let it through just to see what happens. I can guess, of course.
I'm wondering if a UFO shows up on the map and you have to dodge it, or if it's just an automatic Avenger Defense mission with no chance of countering it. But then why would the Turret "autopsy" mention the ability to repel UFOs?

Sarek

soo NEOgaf....how is the game? i liked the first xcom...is this better? talk to me so i can give my money to firaxis

For me this is one of the very few games that does pretty much everything better than its predecessor, and considering how good game XCOM was that pretty incredible. Then again I've only played about 10 hours so far, and actually like the time limits the missions now have.

Lost track of time playing this last night, got Flawless on the first three missions even though two people got 'capped' because they were standing right outside of the evac zone when the timer ended. Those seem like they're gonna be kind of annoying. Gotta like alternate Overwatch so people can overextend to make it to objectives in time.

Will those soldiers appear later to give me a chance to recover them? They were the two I spent time customizing.

Tworak

How do i get my custom characters to show up in the Recruits tab?
mark them as rookies. there is also some ini change that you can do to give priority to character pool created characters over random characters. unfortunately I forget which ini file it is.

McNum

I am currently. Haven't touched it yet, but I see it flying around on the map, presumably you get boarded or suffer some sort of loss if you touch it. It seems like it might disrupt your scanning as when it gets close you'd need to move away.
Ah, interesting. I might let it through just to see what it does. And if it can be dodged long enough for it to just give up.

Ferrio

Banned
Played about 5 missions last night. I kinda skipped over the first one, but so far enjoying this a lot. Timers don't bug me at all, framerate is a little spotty so thank god for the gsync. Jane "The Ninja" Kelly is really carrying this force.

Seems the steam overlay doesn't work, anyone got a fix?

Salsa

so do I just restart without the tutorial right

like, the tutorial is just that first mission, not necessarely the presentation to different aspects of the game

right?

Played about 5 missions last night. I kinda skipped over the first one, but so far enjoying this a lot. Timers don't bug me at all, framerate is a little spotty so thank god for the gsync. Jane "The Ninja" Kelly is really carrying this force.

Seems the steam overlay doesn't work, anyone got a fix?

Mine wasn't working properly with RTSS - got any other programs running?

Tworak

that's pretty great actually
SeemsGood.png

Spent like 2 hours making a character pool and most of my characters are just scientists and engineers and i can't actually use them..

so do I just restart without the tutorial right

like, the tutorial is just that first mission, not necessarely the presentation to different aspects of the game

right?

I'll bump your question because I asked much the same earlier and haven't seen an answer. I would love to know how much story and or other content you miss by skipping the tutorial.

I'll bump your question because I asked much the same earlier and haven't seen an answer. I would love to know how much story and or other content you miss by skipping the tutorial.

Literally none. I can even tell you what happens if you'd like. They explain everything well enough to not even have to play the tutorial.

Literally none. I can even tell you what happens if you'd like. They explain everything well enough to not even have to play the tutorial.

So do you still see the same cut-scenes and whatnot? Is it just the first mission, or does it go well beyond that? I thought I saw someone saying they played for hours, and still didn't see the same mission that started the non-tutorial version. (They could have been mistaken of course.)

I know Xcom isn't exactly a story driven series, but if they put the effort into making a story, I'd like to see it nonetheless. I just wish I knew where the tutorial "ended" so that I could get there, see all that content along the way, and then start a new game where I could freely make my choices from the start. Now, if the cutscenes and other content are still there regardless of the tutorial, that makes all of this a lot easier.

Holy fuck, how could it do that?

I would assume that it has nothing at all to do with this game specifically. Perhaps maybe your system was pushed to upper limits it hadn't previous experienced, ultimately exposing a flaw in the PSU that was there from the start.

void666

Banned
Love the loadout music.

So far i only lost a rookie. Did 8 missions i think.

I'm using FXAA. Everything else maxed out. During briefing fps varies wildly but on the ground it's smooth. GTX 980 by the way.

Sloane

Banned
My game is stuck on this screen:

yV3ZAlt.png

Time is ticking down but I can not move anything, can not open any menu etc.
This happened right after I rescued some civilians. Restarting / Loading the game does not help :(
Same thing just happened to me, also after rescuing civilians. Fuck.

I thought I saw someone saying they played for hours, and still didn't see the same mission that started the non-tutorial version. (They could have been mistaken of course.)

I'm 99.9% sure I didn't do the "plant the explosives" mission (seen it on youtube) after starting the game with the tutorial enabled.

Yojimbo99

Neo Member
Seems to run a bit clunky. My PC exceeds recommended requirements, but seems like it just wants more power. Is it running smooth for everyone else?

So do you still see the same cut-scenes and whatnot? Is it just the first mission, or does it go well beyond that? I thought I saw someone saying they played for hours, and still didn't see the same mission that started the non-tutorial version. (They could have been mistaken of course.)

I know Xcom isn't exactly a story driven series, but if they put the effort into making a story, I'd like to see it nonetheless. I just wish I knew where the tutorial "ended" so that I could get there, see all that content along the way, and then start a new game where I could freely make my choices from the start. Now, if the cutscenes and other content are still there regardless of the tutorial, that makes all of this a lot easier.

I would assume that it has nothing at all to do with this game specifically. Perhaps maybe your system was pushed to upper limits it hadn't previous experienced, ultimately exposing a flaw in the PSU that was there from the start.

The only cutscene you'd be missing is the tutorial stage one where it's basically
just a scripted mission where you recapture the commander who was taken hostage after ADVENT originally took over.
There is minimal dialogue and everything is explained better once you're back at the base, including more cutscenes.

I'm 99.9% sure I didn't do the "plant the explosives" mission (seen it on youtube) after starting the game with the tutorial enabled.

I played for a few hours with the tutorial enable, and I haven't seen any mission like that either. So perhaps it just isn't there in the tutorial version. Which still then leaves me with the question of whether you lose story by not playing the tutorial if the game plays out differently in the beginning. Meh, I don't know. Maybe I'll start a new game when I get home and see if it seems like all the beginning story stuff has been cut out. I googled around too and it just doesn't seem like anyone has a definitive answer.

Seems to run a bit clunky. My PC exceeds recommended requirements, but seems like it just wants more power. Is it running smooth for everyone else?

If you check out the performance thread, it seems like people are seeing a fairly substantial amount of performance issues. Some can be addressed by turning down certain settings. Others seem like they might be bugs or optimization issues. Either way, I would be very surprised if a few patches weren't on the way.

The only cutscene you'd be missing is the tutorial stage one where it's basically
just a scripted mission where you recapture the commander who was taken hostage after ADVENT originally took over.
There is minimal dialogue and everything is explained better once you're back at the base, including more cutscenes.

Thanks for continuing to answer this. Huh. If that is seriously it, that's really good to know. Are things like introducing the lead scientist and engineer still in there?

Thanks for continuing to answer this. Huh. If that is seriously it, that's really good to know. Are things like introducing the lead scientist and engineer still in there?

Yep! There are little introductions to the staff members which is nice. Happens when you get to the base for the first time.

So, I'm a few missions in and I go to the
Black site
mission. BAM,
over double the number of enemies from the previous record (11 -> 23), automated heavily armored turrets, some kind of new armored mech enemy.. Holy crap the game got suddenly hard.

I would have lost my entire squad if not for save scumming. I'm playing on commander difficulty.

JambiBum

The only real bug I've had so far is that sometimes when I'm on a map and Vipers spawn in the game won't show me anything and instead will give me a black screen that just says alien activity at the bottom. It's super annoying because I don't know where they are coming from. It's different than when they spawn within fog, this happens when I should have vision but the game bugs and I don't see anything.

So, I'm a few missions in and I go to the
Black site
mission. BAM,
over double the number of enemies from the previous record (11 -> 23), automated heavily armored turrets, some kind of new armored mech enemy.. Holy crap the game got suddenly hard.

I would have lost my entire squad if not for save scumming. I'm playing on commander difficulty.

The thing about that mission that you really have to take advantage of is the lack of turn timer. When you notice that a mission has no turn limit, you should prepare yourself for a tough encounter and use conservative tactics.

Top Bottom