• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

AlanOC91

Is the hit % chance in this a bit....off? I know there is the 95% chance meme going around but I could be standing next to someone and it could be giving me 60-75% chance to hit.

Seems a bit strange.

so the internal name for the viper grab move is GetOverHere. lol

There is a bug related to the viper grab if you have Bladestorm on your ranger. The ranger will still execute his free attack and then remain on strangled animation for the rest of the mission and teleport around instead of moving. I have a Codex in my team now. :p

Jintor

Is the hit % chance in this a bit....off? I know there is the 95% chance meme going around but I could be standing next to someone and it could be giving me 60-75% chance to hit.

Seems a bit strange.

Depends on the weapon. Sniper rifles have inverse approach-hit gain. Also, enemies with natural defence will apply that, so you could be touching a big bot and only have a 60% chance or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Depends on the weapon. Sniper rifles have inverse approach-hit gain. Also, enemies with natural defence will apply that, so you could be touching a big bot and only have a 60% chance or something.

yup. grenadiers close to a enemy only get like 70% lol

Khoryos

Just to check, if I have a Grenadier with Shredding and Chain Shot, do both shots shred?
I cheesed my first sectopod, but now I'm heading in to a mission with one that I probably won't be able to exploit and I'm kind of bricking it...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
enemies hide behind cover (a bush) *miss,miss,miss*

your team hides behind a building and its still a hit.

this fucking game lol

first thing I do, much more than EU, is grenade that bush away

edit: ok got my squad of 6 now, time for blacksite (soon)

first thing I do, much more than EU, is grenade that bush away

Dude. This. I swear battlefields look like the end result of a fire bombing by the time I am done with them. Buildings are collapsing, cars are exploding, and the local plant life has been wiped out.

Moff

I really love this game, took me about 5 hours until I got enough upgrades and fun stuff, but all the possibilities like destroying everything, the fun gear with the hook or with the rocket launcher, cool special abilities. I don't remember the first game being that diverse and simply fun (I didnt play EU).
with the mod support I can see this becoming a huge classic, but they really need to fix the bugs and the performance issues.

Rhaknar

Difficult mission with 3 rookies

welp >_>

edit: why does this Guile looking rookie not in predator armor and I cant customize him?

C5w3QoJ.jpg

I dont customize rookies btw, they are fodder until they rank up lol

Klyka

Banned
I'd like some more lore background here.

Like,how much of humanity is actually left? Do most of them live in the apparently few cities? The rest lives outside in like shacks and such?

I'd like some more lore background here.

Like,how much of humanity is actually left? Do most of them live in the apparently few cities? The rest lives outside in like shacks and such?

So far as I can tell, if we believe what Central says about the Black site,
it's likely they've been continuously shipping people to it since the invasion 20 years ago.
We're also told that anyone not in the cities are considered malcontents. So this doesn't give us numbers or anything but I think we can assume that the bulk of humanity survived the initial invasion since it was (mostly) a non violent takeover. We can also likely assume that anyone taken away has been labeled as insurgents against the peace and that fear has kept most of the population quiet. Bombing humanity into the stone age / extinction was never the aliens agenda and they more or less could have done it from the start. Even if the aliens have killed tens or even hundreds of millions with a population of 7-8 billion we can assume most are still around.

Klyka

Banned
So far as I can tell, if we believe what Central says about the Black site,
it's likely they've been continuously shipping people to it since the invasion 20 years ago.
We're also told that anyone not in the cities are considered malcontents. So this doesn't give us numbers or anything but I think we can assume that the bulk of humanity survived the initial invasion since it was (mostly) a non violent takeover. We can also likely assume that anyone taken away has been labeled as insurgents against the peace and that fear has kept most of the population quiet. Even if the aliens have killed tens or even hundreds of millions with a population of 7-8 billion we can assume most are still around.

I wonder how large those mega cities are supposed to be. I mean,you can see city ruins behind the avenger sometimes and I feel the initial invasion actually did a lot more damage than we might have been shown.

I wonder how large those mega cities are supposed to be. I mean,you can see city ruins behind the avenger sometimes and I feel the initial invasion actually did a lot more damage than we might have been shown.

Why? The Sectoids could mind control the world leaders (as we saw in the loss ending of EU). They could move in with overwhelming force/technology and have at least the bulk of it not all of Earth's own military at its disposal.

Jintor

Current complaints:

a) I kinda feel like if you vision scan dudes you should at least be able to see at what distance they'll proc when you run into view.

b) If you vision scan stuff you can't tell if your nades will hit them because the scan glowy effect is the same as 'gonna get hit by a nade' effect.

patapuf

Dude. This. I swear battlefields look like the end result of a fire bombing by the time I am done with them. Buildings are collapsing, cars are exploding, and the local plant life has been wiped out.

I love it. I had to do a bit of CQC against 2 pods inside an ufo. Afterwards the thing couldn't have been in worse shape if it had been shot down from the sky.

Klyka

Banned
Why? The Sectoids could mind control the world leaders (as we saw in the loss ending of EU). They could move in with overwhelming force/technology and have at least the bulk of it not all of Earth's own military at its disposal.

Well we do see Paris getting bombed to hell in the intro.

I'd take a mod that changes Central's dialogue to his random flavor lines aboard the Base, and which didn't lock you out of UI responsiveness till the end of the dialogue line.

I haven't wanted an NPC dialogue to shut the fuck up this much since listening to Miller complain about every goddamn recruit I'd grab in MGSV.

I wish like hell you could just turn that off.

Klyka

Banned
I haven't wanted an NPC dialogue to shut the fuck up this much since listening to Miller complain about every goddamn recruit I'd grab in MGSV.

I wish like hell you could just turn that off.

I want a od that every time you recruit a new soldier plays Miller's "You're bringing HIM?"

Random17

Firaxis have screwed up the Injury System in this game. In XCOM - EU and EW you didn't get wounded unless the damage was more than what the armour and other accessories were providing your soldier. In this game, it doesn't matter what kind of damage you're taking, if you get hit, you're wounded and that's some bullshit.

What's the point of better armour, if it doesn't enable my top dogs to stay healthy for longer periods of time? The only time that my squad has taken injuries that should have caused them to be laid out for a long time was in the UFO defence mission, but in my case, every mission where my people take a hit (and they don't usually take more than one or two), they get laid out for 4-6 days, at least. It doesn't help that as you progress, critical, earth-shattering events pop up a lot more frequently.

I'm fine with the crippling performance issues, but this injury bullshit needs to be patched ASAP.

Once you get a "Conceal" ranger, plus two grenadiers with Heavy Ordnance and Volatile Mix with that Bigger Booms upgrade from Guerrilla Tactics School, you can pretty much get the drop on almost every pod and wipe 'em with just your grenadiers and sniper. It's so much fun seeing all these big ass scary alien mofos getting their ass handed to 'em without even involving my whole team.
It's not bs imo, you should not be able to use the same squad every mission.

Have you played long war?

Doop

Difficult mission with 3 rookies

welp >_>

edit: why does this Guile looking rookie not in predator armor and I cant customize him?

I dont customize rookies btw, they are fodder until they rank up lol

He doesn't have the predator armor because he's wearing the resistance pack armor. Go into his loadout and switch that out, it's a shame you can only use it for one armor rank.

Rhaknar

I presume I need to
skulljack
a live
advent officer
?

Lanrutcon

So my question is this: what's stopping someone from taking 4 Grenadiers with explosive perks, flashbangs and plasma grenades. Take one Medic and one Scout. Give em all blaster bombs in late game.

And that's that. Easy mode engage.

Rhaknar

So my question is this: what's stopping someone from taking 4 Grenadiers with explosive perks, flashbangs and plasma grenades. Take one Medic and one Scout. Give em all blaster bombs in late game.

you can say that about every game, ever. and someone always does.

Admodieus

I really procrastinated early game, waiting until the Advent Project was almost complete to even take the first black site. Since then, I've taken out two more alien facilities in order to knock it down quite a bit. There's just so much you need to build in your base that I feel I never have enough time.

I definitely turned a corner though during a UFO defense mission where I managed to get a flawless. Now I'm rocking plasma weapons and predator armor - next big upgrade for me will be psychic soldiers. I did get hit with a retaliation mission with chrysalids after a main story mission and had to send in a few rookies - that one was rough, ended up evaccing half of my squad halfway through just to keep them alive.

I need to take a day or two off though, was dreaming in grids last night

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit I'm on a late-game mission now you have to do with 3 people and the game broke in so many ways I just quit in frustration. Soldiers getting burned by fire that doesn't exist, soldiers that stop animating, other animations that don't play, long-ass pauses for no reason. I don't know if it's this mission or what but this is fucking nuts.

Ok I can do the final mission now (I think it is) but screwing around to upgrade/research everything I can.
Can I use all my intel points on that mission or will I need them for later also?
Didn't even research psionic this time so will probably do another run with completely different skill trees after I finish this.

Mupod

Honestman the only way to play for like a month after launch

Ironman is the only thing keeping me from being a reloading perfectionist which would make the game very shitty very quickly.

I do a manual backup every once in a while in case of something catastrophic, I guess.

Klyka

Banned

Nothings stopping you from doing anything.
You could always do whatever you want in XCOM and you would very quickly learn how to exploit the game.

Mupod

Out of curiosity has anyone figured out how long blowing up one of those red facilities delays the avatar project? I feel like I've gotten a good sense of it...to the point where I was about to attack a facility and changed my mind to go grab the supply drop that spawned in the same country. The Avenger made it maybe a centimeter before the counter went up :(

I think those missions are actually my favorite because it's fun just smashing through a wall, planting the X4 then getting the hell out before the aliens know what happened.

I don't know how you guys do ironman in a game as buggy as this.

I told my Ranger to use his sword on a codex. He sprints up,pulls out his sword,jumps into the air and.....hangs there. And that's it. He hangs in the air for like 20 seconds. Suddenly the game goes "lol alien activity" and the codex walks away and shoots the ranger still hanging in the air dead.

Like,how could you play ironman if that stuff can happen?
That's not your fault at all, there is no reason you should have to take that.
I would say I can count on one hand the number of times a bug has screwed me over tens of hours (Christ, I've already played this tens of hours). The most recent being a soldier being captured despite successfully moving into the evac zone; it just wouldn't let me evac him, so I had to end turn and leave him behind. Otherwise, while actions and turns often look janky (especially pod reveals and environmental damage stuff), they're usually working as intended.

The game just feels infinitely more tense on Commander Ironman, and I like that, even if it means I still haven't seen all that much mid-game content.

I presume I need to
skulljack
a live
advent officer
?
If you're playing with the LWS mods,
give your skulljacker an SMG. The +3 mobility makes all the difference in jumping an officer.

Rhaknar

Snipe for 6 dmg with 17% chance on a advent, AND that sniper takes the 67% killshot on the
teleporting energy dude that spawns from the skulljack
?

now thats a VIP right there :p

Out of curiosity has anyone figured out how long blowing up one of those red facilities delays the avatar project? I feel like I've gotten a good sense of it...to the point where I was about to attack a facility and changed my mind to go grab the supply drop that spawned in the same country. The Avenger made it maybe a centimeter before the counter went up :(

I think those missions are actually my favorite because it's fun just smashing through a wall, planting the X4 then getting the hell out before the aliens know what happened.

Pretty sure every facility you blow up takes away two Avatar squares.

Mupod

I don't know how you guys do ironman in a game as buggy as this.

I told my Ranger to use his sword on a codex. He sprints up,pulls out his sword,jumps into the air and.....hangs there. And that's it. He hangs in the air for like 20 seconds. Suddenly the game goes "lol alien activity" and the codex walks away and shoots the ranger still hanging in the air dead.

Like,how could you play ironman if that stuff can happen?
That's not your fault at all, there is no reason you should have to take that.

have had zero gameplay-effecting bugs so far. Some weird animations that are mostly just funny - favorite is when ADVENT get their Y axis confused and start floating in the air, so when you skulljack them it goes up their ass. Also the base UI is a bit wonky.

I've seen people run into stuff like objectives that can't be used or the scan counters breaking, which is why I made periodic backups but I haven't used one yet.

It's just a necessary evil really. I know how I am, I would reload over something as trivial as triggering an extra pod even though my best moments in my game all came from doing just that and surviving.

Calcium

Banned
The Avatar Project just hit the halfway mark for me and the only target facility up is in the USA, which is going to take some time for me to get contact with. Is it possible to bring the Avatar Project back down to 2-3 squares at this point or am I in a downward spiral towards doom?

I don't know if this is universal, but are snipers terrible? In the first game my sniper was my go-to for alien killing. In this game my Rangers are more accurate at range with their shotguns.

I know how I am, I would reload over something as trivial as triggering an extra pod even though my best moments in my game all came from doing just that and surviving.
Yeah, I'm amazed how often I put my head in my hands with an accidental reveal during an already bad situation, only to come away from it with everybody wounded but nobody dead. I would absolutely rage-load some of those if Ironman wasn't on.

Lanrutcon

The Avatar Project just hit the halfway mark for me and the only target facility up is in the USA, which is going to take some time for me to get contact with. Is it possible to bring the Avatar Project back down to 2-3 squares at this point or am I in a downward spiral towards doom?

Mine keeps hovering at 6/7 pips and I hit sites the moment they appear. I'm getting the feeling I need to skullsex more enemy troops.

Holy shit I'm on a late-game mission now you have to do with 3 people and the game broke in so many ways I just quit in frustration. Soldiers getting burned by fire that doesn't exist, soldiers that stop animating, other animations that don't play, long-ass pauses for no reason. I don't know if it's this mission or what but this is fucking nuts.

I think Xander posted earlier with some broken shit going down in a 16 hour long save?

Edit:

Okay so here are all the bugs I'm experiencing on a ~16 hour save:

-Soldier animations not playing while moving
-Cutscene animations hitching up/not playing
-Destruction animations play maybe a quarter of the time they should
-Doors do not animate
-Enemies can walk through walls on patrol
-Regular enemies can see soldiers who are outside through solid walls
-Attacks that should be bound by geometry clip through walls (viper tongue, etc)
-Enemies can melee through walls without destroying them
-Soldiers will sometimes not be able to perform any actions, have to mash tab to cycle through soldiers until their actions are available again or reload the save
-Soldiers will fall through floors that haven't been destroyed and take damage
-Enemies launch straight up in the air if killed from a higher position (this one is at least hilarious so it can stay)
-Game gets stuck between actions and can take up to 15 seconds to move to the next action

Anyone else getting this stuff? It's becoming ridiculous.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think Xander posted earlier with some broken shit going down in a 6 hour long save?

Yeah I saw that, I've seen a lot of those in isolation but I've never had the feeling that one particular mission was just completely broken the way this one is. It's compounded by the baffling design decision that I have to do it with 3 soldiers for whatever reason??? I don't understand.

Gothos

There is definetely something funky going on with shot percentage on Commander. I started playing on Veteran and I swear to god I hit much more shots with 65%+ than on Commander :/

Top Bottom