• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

So how does the map randomization work? I just got an absolutely possible retaliation mission handed to me; can I reload my last save and have the initial conditions come out differently?

If you mean the RNG, there's a random seed that you can change if you perform different actions in a turn. So, all other things being the same, moving behind a barrel and attacking can have a different result than moving behind a crate and attacking.

If you mean maps themselves, not sure.

Erheller

Is there a maximum to bodies on screen at once? Spoilerish picture

I've killed alot more enemies than are bodies, so I'm just curious as I don't want to crash if I continue this... research.

Someone on Reddit killed 247. He was crashing and getting single-digit FPS drops by the end.

If you mean the RNG, there's a random seed that you can change if you perform different actions in a turn. So, all other things being the same, moving behind a barrel and attacking can have a different result than moving behind a crate and attacking.

If you mean maps themselves, not sure.

I mean maps. They are all randomly generated this time, right?

I mean maps. They are all randomly generated this time, right?

Yes. It's randomised in chunks, so some specifics may still be the same (like certain buildings) while the overall layout is different every time.

But I'm not sure if they're randomised on-encounter or earlier, allowing you to conceivably "reroll" the same mission's layout by entering it again.

Admodieus

Oh man, I can't believe I waited this long to get a psychic operative trained up. They're amazing. Gave mine an implant for enhanced mobility and tricked out his gun with upgrades and he's crazy good.

This game is going to ruin the rest of the year for me, I'm just having too much fun.

UnrealEck

I can see why this game isn't on console. At least yet.
I saw it hitting 100% on all cores of my Core i7 6700 earlier tonight.
If they do bring it to the consoles they'll probably need to do some significant work on it. But then again I think the game as it is now needs some work to improve performance.
The graphics are really detailed though when you get in close.

Ugh, I have a love/hate relationship with this game.

On the one hand, the upgrades and tactics and everything are great fun and pulling off a successful mission is a wonderful feeling.

On the other hand, I feel like the time constraints on most missions are designed to put you in shit situations regardless of your tactics, and that my soldiers mental state is far too fragile because they get mind controlled or panic at the drop of a hat. So many missions gone completely to hell because a stun baton trooper sprinted across the map and onehit one of my guys and then another panicked. It'd be fine if the AI cared about losing stun troopers by using them in such a risky manner like I might with a Ranger, but they have an infinite supply of them so it's basically like they're just there to be jerks.

XCOM2 Ironman/Commander so far has been harrowing and difficult in the early game. Had a damn VIP mission where I got poisoned at the beginning of the turn and had to deal with DOT and panic attacks throughout the mission. Only one guy and the VIP made it out of that mission. Things felt like they were going into a death spiral and the Council guy started calling me incompetent.

Then I built Mimic Beacons and I've never had a non Excellent or Flawless mission. These things are insane. Not only can they dodge but enemies go out of their way to fight them, often in melee range when they don't even need to. I think the only time someone fired at a non-mimic beacon was when a commander Marked my half cover unit and took a potshot... and even then his buddies fired on the beacon!

At this point I think the optimal gear path is: Mimic Beacons > Tier2 Armor > Grenades > Weapons.

XCOM2 Ironman/Commander so far has been harrowing and difficult in the early game. Had a damn VIP mission where I got poisoned at the beginning of the turn and had to deal with DOT and panic attacks throughout the mission. Only one guy and the VIP made it out of that mission. Things felt like they were going into a death spiral and the Council guy started calling me incompetent.

Then I built Mimic Beacons and I've never had a non Excellent or Flawless mission. These things are insane. Not only can they dodge but enemies go out of their way to fight them, often in melee range when they don't even need to. I think the only time someone fired at a non-mimic beacon was when a commander Marked my half cover unit and took a potshot... and even then his buddies fired on the beacon!

At this point I think the optimal gear path is: Mimic Beacons > Tier2 Armor > Grenades > Weapons.

Mimic beacon and proximity mines are the best. Mimic beacon is often my "most attacked" teammate.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't mean that, I mean how at the end of the month you get like access to a random engineer, scientist, or "veteran" soldier at the HQ, but they cost like nearly 200 supplies. Hardly makes them feel like a reward.

I think those are there for when you screw the pooch and lose the best/only of a certain class you have. I've bought 3 pre-leveled rangers in the course of this campaign, lol. I should probably stop using them as mimic decoys that can fight back.

I can see why this game isn't on console. At least yet.
I saw it hitting 100% on all cores of my Core i7 6700 earlier tonight.

I think you've got the chicken and the egg mixed up there. Software is like a carp, it grows to fit its environment.

ACE 1991

dumb question, but you basically want to avoid your solders taking any damage so they aren't wounded for following missions, right?

Corpekata

Banned
Early on wounds are a fairly big deal since you might not have the ACC built or an engineer to staff it. I wouldn't really worry about getting hurt too much then though because your soldiers are lower level and can be rotated in more. Around mid game you'll likely have a main squad and injuries aren't as big of a deal if you keep an ACC doc waiting in the wings, wounds tend not be grave as often, and missions seem less frequent compared to early game.

The feeling when the only unit you don't want getting panicked gets panicked. I immediately closed the game and locked my computer then unlocked it to make this post.

Sober

So, the AWC gives you perks for things that don't even exist on other classes? Someone got Lightning Reflexes but no class technically has that!

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The UFO sefense misssion was absolutely insane. So difficult but once I finally beat it I felt like a tactical genius.

With access to many saves..

Echoplx

The UFO sefense misssion was absolutely insane. So difficult but once I finally beat it I felt like a tactical genius.

Save scumming will quickly leave you feeling empty inside, knowing all your victories are false.

I have to ask what kind of weaponry, gear and soldier level did you have in general? Also what difficulty. I'm at the same part and having an entirely different experience.

milkham

my game freezes every time i finish training a psi ability and it goes to show you the soldier, like when you get new armor, driving me nuts. auto save saving me

ant_

I have to ask what kind of weaponry, gear and soldier level did you have in general? Also what difficulty. I'm at the same part and having an entirely different experience.

I had 6 soldiers. Only way I could beat it was to have my Ranger slowly circle around the back while I had my other guys in a circular formation constantly on overwatch. I set my snipers up when my Ranger got sight of the EMP device. All 3 snipers focused fire on the EMP while the ranger barely survived. Had the ranger commit suicide with a grenade to finish it off. 2 deaths total.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I dont get this. I killed first squad, then moved up concealed, tossed a grenade and had my sniper shoot. Done in 3 or 4 turns. Farmed a bit of exp for two soldiers then left. *Commander difficulty, and late game

I had 6 soldiers. Only way I could beat it was to have my Ranger slowly circle around the back while I had my other guys in a circular formation constantly on overwatch. I set my snipers up when my Ranger got sight of the EMP device. All 3 snipers focused fire on the EMP while the ranger barely survived. Had the ranger commit suicide with a grenade to finish it off. 2 deaths total.

Gotcha, but that's not really what I was asking. I beat the enemies and the device in a few turns without taking a hit. What I'm trying to figure out is how big the difficulty divide between Veteran and one difficulty up is. Additionally maybe why some gaffer are having such a tough time. I think it might be because some of you are rushing development of the mission critical devices/data etc so are getting forced into harder missions than you are ready for.

I'm currently exploiting the mission to see how many guys I can kill before it crashes my game.

Flare

so i kinda fucked up and now i only have rookies....is there still hope?

You can look into buying veteran soldiers from Resistance HQ or the black market. Also look into getting upgraded weapons and armour if you don't already. And/or build and equip utility items like mimic beacons if you are able to to give your rookie soldiers something to work with.

Echoplx

Does anyone actually use the three "official" mods? I had them installed but I never found a good use case for SMGs and the leader perks weren't really worth losing a soldier for training over. The Muton Centurion is cool I guess.

Rad-

I dont get this. I killed first squad, then moved up concealed, tossed a grenade and had my sniper shoot. Done in 3 or 4 turns. Farmed a bit of exp for two soldiers then left. *Commander difficulty, and late game

That first squad already one hit killed like 3 of my guys in the first 2 rounds lol. Would have been easier if I had more grenadiers I guess because the bitches were really grouped up. But yeah after I finished the first squad I realized that I can just shoot that thingie with my snipers from my base.

ant_

Gotcha, but that's not really what I was asking. I beat the enemies and the device in a few turns without taking a hit. What I'm trying to figure out is how big the difficulty divide between Veteran and one difficulty up is. Additionally maybe why some gaffer are having such a tough time. I think it might be because some of you are rushing development of the mission critical devices/data etc so are getting forced into harder missions than you are ready for.

I'm currently exploiting the mission to see how many guys I can kill before it crashes my game.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I had basic weaponry and armor. No mag weapons or predator armor.

Does anyone actually use the three "official" mods? I had them installed but I never found a good use case for SMGs and the leader perks weren't really worth losing a soldier for training over. The Muton Centurion is cool I guess.

I have, honestly I haven't even touched the SMG. The shotguns are just too good and the rifle outweighs any advantage the SMG gives for most soldiers for me.

The leadership one is interesting but I'm not sure if the leadership leveling is tied to your characters promotion because both NY leaders while being major or colonels haven't leveled up their leadership yet.

Centurion is a cool add on though.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I had basic weaponry and armor. No mag weapons or predator armor.

Basic as in? I'm trying not to giveaway the gear if you haven't discovered it yet but most my guys had tier 2 or 3 armor and weapons. I have 12 major+ soldiers (9 on the missions after 3-4 turns with the mission thing).

ant_

Basic as in? I'm trying not to giveaway the gear if you haven't discovered it yet but most my guys had tier 2 or 3 armor and weapons. I have 12 major+ soldiers (9 on the missions after 3-4 turns with the mission thing).

Basics as in starting armor, startng weapons.

Aselith

So I guess you can't surprise kill someone with melee? I ran up on a dude and it went to the aliens turn and he just ran away and left me holding my dick. That was a good time.

ant_

Whoa, yea that would be rough. Game time how long do you think has past and what ranks were your guys?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions

No worries. I had been playing for about ~9 hrs at that point.

You're right - I was focusing on story objective things because I thought the timer would screw me over. Most of my guys were pretty decently ranked. No recruits.

No worries. I had been playing for about ~9 hrs at that point.

You're right - I was focusing on story objective things because I thought the timer would screw me over. Most of my guys were pretty decently ranked. No recruits.

Damn. Yes I thought the same thing at first but a good amount of mission come up that allow you to set back the avatar project. Expanding also helps finding mission sites. Alot of hacks also have chances at giving information on facilities leads too.

Anyone know if hacking attempts are significantly harder on higher difficulties? It feels like a fair balance on Veteran but if it the chances were significantly lower than I know to not focus on it as much on harder difficulties.

Jintor

i should probably get on a few of these autopsies instead of just rushing these shadow projects.

but that mission info thing! it was a bit of a shock to realise most missions only have 9 dudes in them instead of, like, 30 in LW. Sure doesn't feel that way

Top Bottom