• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

People who have beaten it, trying to get a sense for game length here:

i cleared one avatar project site. is the game pretty much over after clearing them all?

Nah, you have a ways to go. The aliens keep building sites indefinitely (you can see the countdown on the "dark events" page). Taking them down is a good way to lower the meter.

Nete

If I added the original file do I have to just overwrite it after download? If so what does that do mid game? I.e. Will it just keep my original import? Or do I have to go in game and delete then re add?

The files themselves have different names and the game doesn't use them except to import/export characters, so there's no issue there.

The problem with using the "full" file when you already had the original Pool imported, is you must chose either to import all the characters (in which case the game doesn't give a fuck if you already have them, so duplicates appear) or go one by one, which can be a bit annoying. That's why I've also uploaded the update file with only the new guys.

In started games, you won't lose anything. All the characters already in, either in your ranks or in the recruits screen, will still be there. But when the game may need to check for new ones (rewards, VIP missions, new recruits...) it will use whatever character you have in the Pool, even if you added it *after* you started the game.

If you only have Gaffers in your Character Pool, deleting all them and importing the full file may be an option, but I have no idea what the game will do with those already in game (ie. a repeated guy may appear to recruit or as reward).

i cleared one avatar project site. is the game pretty much over after clearing them all?
They keep reappearing and the game tells you when it's the last mission and you can post-pone it. You can carry on indefinitely after that I think.

Last night my sniper executed one of those massive tanks at full health from blocks away, it blew up and damaged 3 other guys. It was probably the best thing that ever happened in my life.

Random17

I estimate 40 hours to full research completion and psi operative training.

I just finished, great game, a lot better than the original. As soon as the performance problems are fixed, this will be remembered as a classic.

Possible GOTY contender.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo WTF at burrowed chryssalids getting a free shot at you during your turn when they pop out, such bullshit lol

Pleasantly surprised by the quality of some of the customization mods that are already in the Workshop, especially the tattoos, bandanas, real-world military camo, face paints (there's a Bowie lightining bolt!), and berets. It'd be nice if, in a month or two, someone bundled this stuff into one big pack.

Same goes for the QoL stuff: Stop Wasting My Time, free camera rotation, etc. It's bizarre that it's so simple to remove some of the unnecessary pausing in the game. Firaxis..?

Mupod

yo WTF at burrowed chryssalids getting a free shot at you during your turn when they pop out, such bullshit lol

scanning protocol is amazing because it actually forces them out of the burrow on top of revealing their location (it has a FUCKHUGE range). Also upgraded gremlins get 2 charges of it. I'd imagine battle scanners do something similar but I never have inventory space for them.

scanning protocol is amazing because it actually forces them out of the burrow on top of revealing their location (it has a FUCKHUGE range). Also upgraded gremlins get 2 charges of it. I'd imagine battle scanners do something similar but I never have inventory space for them.

That's good to know but i'm about 28 hours in and i still haven't seen a Crhyssalid, is that normal?

I just finished my commander run. Now that I've done my "tutorial", next up is the real thing, Legend Ironman run.

8da0f88387.jpg

That last mission was pretty intense, but my team was so op it didn't really matter and I don't think I got hit once. My ranger simply grappled his way to victory and shotgunned the avatars at point blank range with rapid fire and talon rounds, and they died instantly.

Overall the game was a lot of fun, and I'm sure with mods this will outlive Enemy Within. Still, there's something I really like about EW that wasn't the same here. There was too much Advent fights and too few aliens, and I really miss the scampering Sectoids.

Man I'm still trying to do this stupid avatar site but shit keeps popping up and I can't seem gather up enough intel. Can I just skip some of these missions?

Yeah I also think the dodge and graze mechanic is dumb.

I think the only infuriating thing about this game is that I've missed two 100% chance hits to kill because of the dodge mechanic, which left my Ranger in really awkward positions both times. I'm okay with Dodge proccing on any shot up to 99%. But if I've managed to position myself to have a 100% on my screen, I think the Dodge stat should be overridden.

Zeliard

Man I'm still trying to do this stupid avatar site but shit keeps popping up and I can't seem gather up enough intel. Can I just skip some of these missions?

It might be best to actually ignore the advent sites until you need to reduce the Avatar clock. When you do them they reduce the clock by 5 units, which is huge. It seems like a good idea this time around to take things a lot more slowly on the world map, especially to get over that early game hump.

Technically they're not humans tho. And mechanically they're equivalent to EU Sectoids, just further behind on the tech tree

Well technically they can gtfo. I don't get why Firaxis wants to make XCOM about fighting human/hybrid/whatever opponents when they could make more memorable alien races, or use stuff they still haven't from the original game. I don't need more boring generic helmet dudes to fight against.

Got a game-breaking bug. Enemies are no longer patrolling or 'activating' when I see them. They just stand facing my troops during their turn. This happened in back to back missions before I shut the game down.

:(

LiK

Got a game-breaking bug. Enemies are no longer patrolling or 'activating' when I see them. They just stand facing my troops during their turn. This happened in back to back missions before I shut the game down.

:(

rebooting should fix it, right?

McNum

It might be best to actually ignore the advent sites until you need to reduce the Avatar clock. When you do them they reduce the clock by 5 units, which is huge. It seems like a good idea this time around to take things a lot more slowly on the world map, especially to get over that early game hump.
I feel like there's lots of conflicting information about how many Avatar Project dots taking out a facility recovers. I just took one out and I got two dots back. Which was exactly how many dots I expected to get.

And why did I expect two? Because that's how many red dots there was underneath the facility icon. As you leave them alone, the dots accumulate, and when you blow it up you get all of them back. The only dots you can't get back like this are the ones in the middle of the ocean.

I'm wondering, how far do I have left, though. I just
researched the Blacksite Vial in the Shadow Chamber, and I totally called it what that was. I got the Codex Brain to run in there, too, but I have a factory to attack from the vial. That's the next story beat, right?
So, about how far am I? Since the music in the base view changed, I'm thinking I'm in Act 2.

Also, does the game have a Gollop Chamber equivalent? As in a "build this room to be able to win the game" room? A yes or no will do. I'm planning the final five rooms for the base. Thinking Psi-Lab, Power Relay, Resistance Comms, Workshop and... Plot Device, if there is one.

Also, does the game have a Gollop Chamber equivalent? As in a "build this room to be able to win the game" room? A yes or no will do. I'm planning the final five rooms for the base. Thinking Psi-Lab, Power Relay, Resistance Comms, Workshop and... Plot Device, if there is one.

Nope, if you have the Shadow Chamber, you're set.

Anyone else having trouble getting steamworkshop mods working? I tick the boxes for the mods so that they are white but they aren't working when I load up my save. Am I missing something?

AJLma

On my third restart on Commander difficulty. Really enjoying the game minus a few things that bug me about the early game, so this time I've decided to just load up as many mods from the workshop as possible that seem to fit in with the game thematically and don't push the balance too much into the players favor. Here's what I've got so far.

Increased Cover Bonus - Adds +10 Cover Bonus to low cover and +5 to high, works for both sides. This is the same as in Long War.
Stun Lancer Rebalance - Turns Stun Lancers into a more fitting light attack unit and lowers their crit chance.
DMR - A Sniper Rifle Option - Sniper Rifle alternative, more mobile, less powerful.
Tweaks - Makes certain items a bit more useful in late game.
Classmod - Fill all attachment slots on weapons, and all classes can use rifles and shotguns. This one could be overpowered if you managed to assemble a weapon with all slots fitted. Especially when combined with WUE below.
Remove Aim Assists - Turns off the circumstantial hidden boosts/debuffs to your squad and the aliens.
Sword Rebalance - Adds +1 DMG to all swords and a little AP damage to make swords better in late game.
Weapon Upgrades Expanded - Adds better stats to weapon attachments. Makes them useful. Work in progress, might be OP, but vanilla attachments might as well be superficial.
True Concealment - Mission timers don't start until you are revealed. Actual timer values are lowered to account for this, 7 turns instead of 9 for some missions, 10 instead of 13 for others. BEST MOD. Makes sense and adds a new layer of strategy to the game since you have all the time in the world to position yourself, but once you attack, you have less time to escape. The initial planning stage is a lot more fun and your concealment is a LOT more valuable.
Katana Pack - Adds a Katana and Wakizashi to the game. Alternatives to the original sword with stats that are about what you'd hope. Haven't tried them in combat yet.

+ All the Long War Studios Mods
SMG Mod
Muton Centurion
Leader Class Mod

My aim with these was basically to extend the firefights and early game deployment options, and eliminate some of the things that I felt were out of place like suicide charging stun lancers. All of them run together with no problems so far.

Seems like in 2/3s of my runs I have a million scientists but no engineers. My one complaint is that they made engineers too important in comparison to scientists. The staffing of facilities should be based on the theme of the facility. For example, power relay = engineer. Advanced warfare centre healing = scientist.

Some of those sound great (especially the stun lancer one, because hoo boy are they are priority-one target over enemies that should be scarier), but I don't really want a piecemeal rebalancing of the game.

I'm really, really hoping something like LW comes along that makes thoughtful changes to a ton of things to make the game's difficulty tough but fair. It's a shame that Long War Studios have already said they won't be doing it.

Agreed, maybe that could be changed in one of the ini files?
If not, somebody should make a mod.

Edit: I mean TheIronChancellor's post.

Seems like in 2/3s of my runs I have a million scientists but no engineers. My one complaint is that they made engineers too important in comparison to scientists. The staffing of facilities should be based on the theme of the facility. For example, power relay = engineer. Advanced warfare centre healing = scientist.

Yeah, scientists are pretty useless in this game. It's good to have a few but very quickly each new one starts to cut only about 13% from your research time. I always, always went for the missions that gave me an engineer instead.

Falk

that puzzling face
Weapon Upgrades Expanded - Adds better stats to weapon attachments. Makes them useful. Work in progress, might be OP, but vanilla attachments might as well be superficial.

I don't see how +3 ammo, +15% crit chance, +3 guaranteed damage per shot, +15% aim are superficial.

LiK

yea, why is the Lab the only facility that requires scientists? seems like engineers are required for everything else. you'd think scientists would be required for certain facilities like the Shadow Chamber and Psi Lab. seems like an oversight. you also need engineers for the medical facility which is even weirder.

Crackbone

On my third restart on Commander difficulty. Really enjoying the game minus a few things that bug me about the early game, so this time I've decided to just load up as many mods from the workshop as possible that seem to fit in with the game thematically and don't push the balance too much into the players favor. Here's what I've got so far.

Increased Cover Bonus - Adds +10 Cover Bonus to low cover and +5 to high, works for both sides. This is the same as in Long War.
Stun Lancer Rebalance - Turns Stun Lancers into a more fitting light attack unit and lowers their crit chance.
DMR - A Sniper Rifle Option - Sniper Rifle alternative, more mobile, less powerful.
Classmod - Fill all attachment slots on weapons, and all classes can use rifles and shotguns. This one could be overpowered if you managed to assemble a weapon with all slots fitted. Especially when combined with WUE below.
Remove Aim Assists - Turns off the circumstantial hidden boosts/debuffs to your squad and the aliens.
Sword Rebalance - Adds +1 DMG to all swords and a little AP damage to make swords better in late game.
True Concealment - Mission timers don't start until you are revealed. Actual timer values are lowered to account for this, 7 turns instead of 9 for some missions, 10 instead of 13 for others. BEST MOD. Makes sense and adds a new layer of strategy to the game since you have all the time in the world to position yourself, but once you attack, you have less time to escape. The initial planning stage is a lot more fun and your concealment is a LOT more valuable.

SMG Mod
Muton Centurion
Leader Class Mod

My aim with these was basically to extend the firefights and early game deployment options, and eliminate some of the things that I felt were out of place like suicide charging stun lancers. All of them run together with no problems so far.

The sword buff one I may run in my next play through because I'm just finding shotties more reliable overall and I think that's a shame considering.

That sounds amazing and a great compromise.

Wow, I finally found out why my game was so buggy, -and- why I was able to enable the tutorial with ironman, which everyone has been saying they can't do:

Launching the game from a windows taskbar results in the game launching in DevMode. This enables a lot of options that shouldn't be enabled, and brings up tons of red screen errors because it can't properly load things. I was wondering why I had options like 'debugstrategy' and 'debugtactical' when starting a new game.

I thought that might be the case so I've been doing my own thing upgrading stuff and whatnot. At this point though I've got 2 notches left from the bar being full and I'm still trying to make contact with India. I think I wasted a bunch of intel revealing hidden dark events and other stuff. Only bought one thing from the black market iirc

Also now everything is vipers, mutons and codexs. I'm getting obliterated.

Is it game over?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
dont try to do the
skulljacking a codex
thing during a VIP extraction missions >_>

Palmer_v1

On a third campaign. Built Proving Ground ASAP. Have had dozens of level ups since then, with zero bonus skills. I wouldn't even mind if I KNEW what the odds were per level up.

Katana Pack - Adds a Katana and Wakizashi to the game. Alternatives to the original sword with stats that are about what you'd hope. Haven't tried them in combat yet.

SMG Mod
Muton Centurion
Leader Class Mod

At the moment I'm just using the Long War Studios ones + free camera. Not gonna touch the rest until they've been put into a general balance overhaul mod, complete with improvements for the other guys.

Some very cool stuff going on, though.

Rhaknar

On a third campaign. Built Proving Ground ASAP. Have had dozens of level ups since then, with zero bonus skills. I wouldn't even mind if I KNEW what the odds were per level up.

proving ground doesnt give the skills lol

Top Bottom