• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

I started my second run yesterday and just wondering about an "infinite play" kind of mod to let me play without worrying about the avatar progress or at least stretch/slow the time required to finish the game. Yea I'm asking about a Long War type of experience and it's too early for that I guess.

Echoplx

I started my second run yesterday and just wondering about an "infinite play" kind of mod to let me play without worrying about the avatar progress or at least stretch/slow the time required to finish the game. Yea I'm asking about a Long War type of experience and it's too early for that I guess.

There's a few mods that slow it down/remove it, do a search for "avatar" on the workshop.

pringles

I hit a crazy difficulty spike on a Blacksite mission. Felt pretty good about my squad, tried to upgrade all their equipment as much as possible, brought most of my main group of soliders.

They were not prepared.

First, I encounter my first
Sectopod

Then, my first
Andromedon
together with two Advent troopers. I took 'em down pretty fast. Not so tough, huh?? Wait what it fucking
comes back to life!?

After that, I trigger a Sectoid and Codex, and I had the objective to
skullmine the codex
and I do so. At the same time I trigger a group two mutons and another
andromedon
. So as they move into position, this crazy thing called an
springs into action.

Thank god it wasn't a timed mission because I at least could do the opposite of what the thread title suggests and retreat fast like hell and set up overwatch traps to thin their numbers. But holy hell that
, not looking forward to facing more of those.

Btw, so far I love the balance between classes. They really nailed it, I feel handicapped anytime I do a mission without all of the classes represented in the squad.

Jintor

Rip "Crypto" Lars. 13 Missions, 31 kills, first victim of a heavy lancer who critted for 10 damage and then a fucking marking officer + elite trooper who also critted for 7 damage. Fuckers!

Aselith

I wish they would make the multiplayer point pool more configurable. I'd love to be able to do just 6 on 6 advent trooper matches. Just pure tactics and positioning.

I did find a mod that adds 4 to the turn meter on timed missions so my main complaint with the game is now resolved. I actually wouldn't mind only adding two to keep things slightly more pressured. Fuck the default turns though shit sucks.

Echoplx

I wish they would make the multiplayer point pool more configurable. I'd love to be able to do just 6 on 6 advent trooper matches. Just pure tactics and positioning.

I did find a mod that adds 4 to the turn meter on timed missions so my main complaint with the game is now resolved. I actually wouldn't mind only adding two to keep things slightly more pressured. Fuck the default turns though shit sucks.

I've been using this one and it's pretty neat, you can customise it or disable it so you won't lose your save if you want to change things around, plus it has a cool random option to mix things up.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618055274

jaekeem

I hit a crazy difficulty spike on a Blacksite mission. Felt pretty good about my squad, tried to upgrade all their equipment as much as possible, brought most of my main group of soliders.

They were not prepared.

First, I encounter my first
Sectopod

Then, my first
Andromedon
together with two Advent troopers. I took 'em down pretty fast. Not so tough, huh?? Wait what it fucking
comes back to life!?

After that, I trigger a Sectoid and Codex, and I had the objective to
skullmine the codex
and I do so. At the same time I trigger a group two mutons and another
andromedon
. So as they move into position, this crazy thing called an
springs into action.

Thank god it wasn't a timed mission because I at least could do the opposite of what the thread title suggests and retreat fast like hell and set up overwatch traps to thin their numbers. But holy hell that
, not looking forward to facing more of those.

Btw, so far I love the balance between classes. They really nailed it, I feel handicapped anytime I do a mission without all of the classes represented in the squad.

sounds epic fam

my second ironman attempt's avenger defense I saw my first lid, level 2 MEC and archon

I actually thought my file was done after I failed to cheese the objective with ranger stealth squadsight sniper fire

winning by the skin of my teeth was so memorable though.

Jintor

holy shit chryssies are terrifying. Literally run straight across the entire map and stab you inna face.

Also: seriously they need to patch the shit out of this for avenger performance alone. Like, holy shit. Also I should have menu options from the Geoscape, I just want to check my soldier availability before I jump into a Blacksite mission...

Falk

that puzzling face
Beaglerush + Grenadier spam + mimic beacons

kp6ZEyN.jpg

edit: To clarify, not my screenshot. Guess Beaglerush isn't a household name yet? hahahaha.

jaekeem

fwiw beagle did that on pre release build which is quite a bit easier early on

although I have no doubt in my mind that he could L/I on release build as well

Tworak

that beagle fucker did it while the other long war veterans are bitching the first mission is too hard. not surprised it took a lot of grenades to do it. while shotgun rangers are amazing, grenadiers are massive damage dealers with great debuffs as well.

My thoughts after Ironman/commander:

- Grenades too strong
- Mimic Beacon way too strong
- Swordskills and Sword need a mid/lategame buff. Why take a 85% chance to do 7 damage, when you can just rapid fire them in the face with a shotgun for 30+ damage.
- Mines possibly too strong, but everytime I used them they bugged out
- Labs are useless. Why research faster, if you can't afford the items anyway.

Especially mimic beacon completely breaks the game. I mean, who cares about soldiers without cover or flanked soldiers, when you can just throw a beacon and get another turn.

Falk

that puzzling face
Like, I don't understand why the best of the best wouldn't want Legendary to be slightly harder anyway.

I mean, okay, cool, you've beaten EW I/I and Long War. Why not have something slightly harder to shake things up again

I also contend that there's a lot more nuance to XCOM2's Geoscape meta, but people complaining that a game is going to last them longer really, really baffles me on a personal level. It's not like a casual TBS fan who's gonna complete the game once and then move on.

Game-ending bugs, on the other hand, yeah. I got nothing hahahaha. Anyone playing Legendary Ironman right now is a brave, brave person.

mbpm1

Disoriented soldiers can't hack? This is bullshit. Complete bullshit.

The greatest xcom player to surf the internets.

They also can't hack if they're on fire. Bs. I hack while blazing all the time :p

Game-ending bugs, on the other hand, yeah. I got nothing hahahaha. Anyone playing Legendary Ironman right now is a brave, brave person.
It's funny how Chyrsalids are one of them

Game ending bugs caused by...game ending bugs

Especially mimic beacon completely breaks the game. I mean, who cares about soldiers without cover or flanked soldiers, when you can just throw a beacon and get another turn.
Yeah, they really need to make it so the mimic beacon is treated identically to other soldiers in terms of AI target selection. It's preposterous right now, just a free turn panic button.

The other thing that bothers me about the mimic beacon is just the look of the thing. Canonically, it's using the same tech as the Faceless, right? So why not have it be a weird goopy mannequin of a human instead of a glitchy hologram thing?

Falk

that puzzling face
I think it has to go slightly beyond that. If treated equally, good AI would always shoot at a target out in the open rather than one in cover.

I think it has to go slightly beyond that. If treated equally, good AI would always shoot at a target out in the open rather than one in cover.
Okay, maybe make it a slightly higher priority than a regular soldier, but right now enemies will run away from open flanks on your guys to cluster around the shiny blue thing.

There are other ways to make it useful if it's treated equally to other soldiers, like giving it multiple uses per mission.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Did that viper just start eating my ranger while next to a flaming car, then die (and my ranger with him) next turn?
Suicidal AI, damn it.

I think they need to have 1hp and get hit automatically.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, I'm fully aware of how broken it is right now. What I'm saying is, even if given equal weight, people would just actually put their guys in cover and it'd be more or less the same situation, just slightly less convenient.

Maybe something like only eating up one attack, or having far less HP, or even having one HP but decent defense so putting it in cover might be a consideration.

But for that to work, AI might have to become a little less arbitrary in target selection, which makes them predictable, and more open to gaming (as with e.g. Sectoids and Advent corpses right now)

jaekeem

I never used them, they act like extra units? :O

they have the hp of the unit u clone and aggro all enemies that can see them after their placement

they make the game very very easy, because eventually you will reach a point in tech/skills where you can reliably take down ANY pod in 1-2 turns (2 turns at MOST)

so it turns the game into heart pounding holy HSIT a muton -> how fast can I burst down this sectopod and MEC pod...even if I mess up I have mimics/untouchable etc so much room for error no real tension

jaekeem

mine survive like 2 attacks, so I don't see why they are so overpowered?
or is there a way to upgrade them?

no they can easily survive more depending on the units hp

they shouldn't be able to dodge shots as well imo

just tank 1 full on attack

that makes them strong vs single enemies like mutons/sectopods/gatekeepers and not just broken ass items that aggro entire pods and basically give you free turns

Top Bottom