• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it pointed out anywhere why
they are designed to feel human-like? I thought the mims were meant to be used as tools to operate the ark as efficiently as possible rather than as permanent replacements for the real bodies. Are the people planning on staying inside their mims forever?

And wouldn't living in a robotic body that can be forever re-produced do the exact opposite and lessen the fear of death? The characters even comment on this during the story, going "yeah well we lost him, truly a shame, but it was just his mim body so hey no probs he'll be back later" every now and then.

I would ruin the game for you if I told you where this goes

the resources are scarce the process is expensive

wait for the end to see why where when

and yes the reasons was touched upon even before chapter 5
do side quests though flesh the story out before you say it makes no sense

One story related thing that really bothers me is how Blade criminals don't seem to get punished at all. (possible minor spoiler about a Blade member in the city:)
Like Murderess, what the fuck? Is it really okay just to attack another Blade member without any repercussions?

Haven't gone through her affinity quests other than the one to get her, so maybe there's an explanation to that, but she doesn't seem to be the only one doing that.

mindsale

I think I realized too late that I could more fun specced for thermal damage, after I invested 40 hours into buffing photon sabers.

I did get my skell license, though. Getting it was not unlike the Wind Waker Triforce annoyance quest.

Evilkazz

Banned
  • Get %10 of Couldros

Why is this so hard? Everything agros so easily. Just lost my Skell insurance
papsey.jpg

I think I realized too late that I could more fun specced for thermal damage, after I invested 40 hours into buffing photon sabers.

I did get my skell license, though. Getting it was not unlike the Wind Waker Triforce annoyance quest.

You can get thermal photon sabers. And beam is still pretty good. If you're going for type-weaknesses, you can't go wrong with anything outside of physical.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_...m/psa_indigen_and_xeno_resistance_compendium/

aravuus

It's because
they didn't know how long it'd take to find an inhabitable planet. The Mims were made in the first place to allow space explorers to live for years, without being fated to die before finding a new planet.
Sounds to me like they were meant to be used purely as tools, then, in which case it would be more efficient to make them less like actual human bodies? I mean, that's my reasoning at least.

I would ruin the game for you if I told you where this goes

the resources are scarce the process is expensive

wait for the end to see why where when

and yes the reasons was touched upon even before chapter 5
do side quests though flesh the story out before you say it makes no sense

Lol I'm not saying it makes no sense, I'm trying to find the reason behind it. All I'm saying is, that with the current information I have, it seems like an odd choice. Next up is chapter 10 and I've done more or less every single unique side quest I've found so far, and
I'm still under the impression, that they were designed as tools to be used to operate the ark as efficiently as possible and that the people were supposed to return to their real bodies when humanity finds a habitable planet.

NeonZ

Sounds to me like they were meant to be used purely as tools, then, in which case it would be more efficient to make them less like actual human bodies? I mean, that's my reasoning at least.

Lol I'm not saying it makes no sense, I'm trying to find the reason behind it. All I'm saying is, that with the current information I have, it seems like an odd choice. Next up is chapter 10 and I've done more or less every single unique side quest I've found so far, and
I'm still under the impression, that they were designed as tools to be used to operate the ark as efficiently as possible and that the people were supposed to return to their real bodies when humanity finds a habitable planet.

But that return
to their real bodies, after years or decades of space exploration, would likely work out much better in the end if the mims feel like humans. If they had no pain, hunger and super human abilities, for example, it's much more likely they'd just stay as mims even afterwards.

One story related thing that really bothers me is how Blade criminals don't seem to get punished at all. (possible minor spoiler about a Blade member in the city:)
Like Murderess, what the fuck? Is it really okay just to attack another Blade member without any repercussions?

Haven't gone through her affinity quests other than the one to get her, so maybe there's an explanation to that, but she doesn't seem to be the only one doing that.

I hate having to fight fellow BLADE members
many of them are asscaves

for all they know they are the last humans from Earth
the very last

the way the story goes it seemed you had to be highly qualified to get on an Ark Ship
my guess is some really shady powerful people cheated their way on these ships too

we see human motivations at work

think of who those people are connected to

Lyn => talks about parents = family
Mia => talks about parents = family
Leo => if you blink you will miss his motivation but it is the same as the above

it is hardly about good guys it is about survival

Yeah, I agree. (Possible Blade member spoilers)
Like how the fuck did Murderess make it onto the White Whale to begin with. You'd think that the name Murderess would tip you off that she might be a bad apple, lol. I've also only done the first affinity mission to get her so maybe further ones will change how I feel about her as a character. Overall though, I think the guy in charge of scouting people to join the White Whale did a pretty questionable job.

I hate having to fight fellow BLADE members
many of them are asscaves

for all they know they are the last humans from Earth
the very last

the way the story goes it seemed you had to be highly qualified to get on an Ark Ship
my guess is some really shady powerful people cheated their way on these ships too

we see human motivations at work

think of who those people are connected to

Lyn => talks about parents = family
Mia => talks about parents = family
Leo => if you blink you will miss his motivation but it is the same as the above

it is hardly about good guys it is about survival

in these organizations there's always people who hold power/ don't face repercussions due to their connections or family situation.

Qurupeke

I start to see the problem with the affinity quests. I plan to do everything I can before I go for Ch. 10 but most of them need like 2-3 hearts for characters I never used. I guess I'll keep doing missions... It's a good thing that I'm an Interceptor and I get tons of points for missions.

aravuus

But that return
to their real bodies, after years or decades of space exploration, would likely work out much better in the end if the mims feel like humans. If they had no pain, hunger and super human abilities, for example, it's much more likely they'd just stay as mims even afterwards.

Hey, I don't necessarily disagree with that
(well, I do think that even after years a simple reintegration program that would last from a couple of weeks to maybe months would get people used to their bodies real quick even if the mims were "perfect", but that's meaningless speculation), my point was about the sensation of pain. Why do they feel pain to the extent that it can hinder their ability to do anything else? Why not, say, "cap" the amount of pain they can feel to something like getting pricked with a pin? Or feel an entirely different but still unpleasant sensation instead of pure, crippling pain? They wouldn't forget the sensation of pain and what it means, but they could still do their work on board the ark in case of an emergency even if they, for example, lost an arm in an accident.

Going by what Irina says, it sounds like Murderess is from a wealthy and probably a very influential family. It doesn't necessarily explain why she would get away with that shit on Mira, of course, but it could be part of the reason.

Mupod

So if I'm understanding the manual Overdrive is: fire off all melee arts, use a buff or an aura, fire off all gun arts, then use another buff or aura, rinse repeat?

you can do that, or you can just only have one type of art. I like to keep one of each colour Art for soul voices, and 4 melee arts seem to be enough to constantly keep attacking during overdrive (although you might want to wait for the level 3 cooldown).

I do still combo in and out of ranged/melee. Furious blast or whatever the ranged move that shoots a gorillion bullets is nice for racking up the hits, then you can use any buff/debuff and combo into melee attacks. Tornado slash on a group of enemies is ridiculous for this.

What do you get for levelling the Nopon trading company with miranium? I've brought it to lvl 3 so far but I didn't get any popups to tell me what has changed, while other companies always show what new armor or weapons they sell.

4 companies at level 5

please tell me the 4 empty slots are more companies to come later

yeah they are. I've done up to chapter 6 and I have 6. Though the other two, and the 7th I did the first quest for but won't unlock it till a later chapter, are unlocked via normal/affinity quests instead of them just handing them to you.

I have 5 of my companies at 5, working on the 6th.

What do you get for levelling the Nopon trading company with miranium? I've brought it to lvl 3 so far but I didn't get any popups to tell me what has changed, while other companies always show what new armor or weapons they sell.

I didn't see much, I think they only have weapons and you upgrade their colors/rarirty at level 4 and 5.

I think their weapons have ether damage or something can't recall.

Sylas

Hey, I don't necessarily disagree with that
(well, I do think that even after years a simple reintegration program that would last from a couple of weeks to maybe months would get people used to their bodies real quick even if the mims were "perfect", but that's meaningless speculation), my point was about the sensation of pain. Why do they feel pain to the extent that it can hinder their ability to do anything else? Why not, say, "cap" the amount of pain they can feel to something like getting pricked with a pin? Or feel an entirely different but still unpleasant sensation instead of pure, crippling pain? They wouldn't forget the sensation of pain and what it means, but they could still do their work on board the ark in case of an emergency even if they, for example, lost an arm in an accident.

Because
then you introduce the possibility of getting too used to not feeling crippling pain when something traumatic happens to your body, so you'd have people being extra reckless with their real bodies when they're no longer a mim. Plus, you have to remember--mims were made with the idea that they'd be in space longer than they were. Potentially hundreds of years of not having to deal with extreme pain when your arm is lopped off would make that sort of pain absolutely alien if you ever went back to your fleshbody.

yeah they are. I've done up to chapter 6 and I have 6. Though the other two, and the 7th I did the first quest for but won't unlock it till a later chapter, are unlocked via normal/affinity quests instead of them just handing them to you.

I have 5 of my companies at 5, working on the 6th.

I didn't see much, I think they only have weapons and you upgrade their colors at level 4 and 5.

ok that is great

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I really like the game so far (11 hour in). But my only complain is how overall easy the game is so far. I've died a few time because i was clearly too low level for the ennemies i was trying. Does the game get more challenging futher you advance? i've read horrible story with some chapter boss, but does sidequest tyran become much harder ? I'm also trying not to overleved the content.

That is a werid complaint... just fight monsters above your level if you want a challenge. I've done enough.

Ferrio

Banned
So does the bestiary and collectapedia not actually tell you were the stuff is? My character isn't taking very good surveying notes if so.

aravuus

Because
then you introduce the possibility of getting too used to not feeling crippling pain when something traumatic happens to your body, so you'd have people being extra reckless with their real bodies when they're no longer a mim. Plus, you have to remember--mims were made with the idea that they'd be in space longer than they were. Potentially hundreds of years of not having to deal with extreme pain when your arm is lopped off would make that sort of pain absolutely alien if you ever went back to your fleshbody.
I'd imagine being able to replace the parts whenever would be a bigger reason people would get sloppy and reckless rather than feeling pain. Unless it's pointed out in the game, I think your reasoning is also meaningless speculation the same way my reintegration idea is.

Hell, I even watched the chapter 5 cutscene again and Lin literally turns off MC's pain in it. If they need to feel the immense pain for whatever reason, maybe they could feel it for only a set time? Maybe the time could get longer and longer every time you get wounded the same way, so you'd never get used to it? I realize these ideas are kinda far-fetched, but I'm literally pulling this shit on top off my head as I'm writing this post, so I'd like to believe that earth's biggest brains would come up with something better.

JulianImp

WTF is an Overdrive? And here I was thinking I had a good handle on the combat....

All I know is that it costs 3000 TP, allows you to use the tertiary cooldowns on your arts (another cooldown bar, only white instead of green), and appears to have some sort of color-coded combo system where the number in the middle goes up as you use more similarily-colored arts. It's still a mystery to me for the most part, though.

aravuus

I know the city grows but I wish it was more noticeable like colony 6 show what has been added with an update of a new area

Yeah, feels like nothing has actually changed here aside from the
obvious massive Ma-non ship

o7DfI9D.jpg

And my current avatar, just unlocked recustomization.

Dat anime armor

Never ceases to amuse me

And also make me not want to play animu games in front of family or friends

Sadist

Ugh, I need one more research probe. I'm just 200 credits shy of the 15k mark so I can complete the skell license mission. Now where do I find one of those probes...

JulianImp

Because chainmail space bikinis are the best way to protect yourself from rampaging beasts' attacks. Thank god we've got fashion gear, though, since you can equip your best gear while still looking badass/sexy (whatever floats your boat), rather than a mish-mash of random armor sets.

Dat anime armor

Never ceases to amuse me

And also make me not want to play animu games in front of family or friends

I'm always amused how in games like these the people who tend to post the most screenshots are the ones with characters using battle bikinis haha.

I gave Elma a HEAVY armor that had potential boost and it gave her short shorts and an open top. So i had to use fashion gear to give her relevant armor.

Ugh, I need one more research probe. I'm just 200 credits shy of the 15k mark so I can complete the skell license mission. Now where do I find one of those probes...

Just go unlock more probes.

JulianImp

I'm always amused how in games like these the people who tend to post the most screenshots are the ones with characters using battle bikinis haha.

I gave Elma a HEAVY armor that had potential boost and it gave her short shorts and an open top. So i had to use fashion gear to give her relevant armor.

And I had everybody running around in creepy orange skirts with black kneesocks before I realized the blessing that was fashion gear. Now they're back to loking normal while keeping the nice stats granted by their battle skirts of tasteless ecchi +5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom