• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

I haven't come across any issues so far but if I start an affinity quest with the required members and the required level I'll probably be fine? Are there any that throw you in with high-level creatures without warning?

NeonZ

Also, I just noticed that if you want a rare drop from some monster type, it's better to go kill a tyrant version. It seems to increase the odds of rare loot by a lot.

I may have been guilty of this but while I could've handled the enemies if I'd been better able to pick them off one by one, it doesn't change the fact that the 3 boss enemies together were still easier than most of the regular enemies by themselves.

There were definitely places where there was no choice but to fight multiples. One of the areas was only accessible by two narrow bridges at either end, both guarded by closely grouped enemies that could only be tackled together. I eventually managed to get past the easier of the two which had 3 level 20ish enemies and a level 29 patrolling behind that I had to be careful not to draw in. Once I was able to get past these I could mostly keep the fights to one or two at a time.

For the initial corridor, guarded by a tyrant, and later the bridge, I just ran past everything until they stopped pursuit. Those were the only times I really had to get their attention like that though in chapter 5. When I finished that mission, I still couldn't beat even a single one of those Pugilith-type mecha.

JulianImp

I've wrapped up chapter nine and gotten the skell flight module right before calling it quits for today. Yet again I was getting thrashed by the boss and its minions and had to lower the difficulty to stand a chance, but whatever.

Episode 9 end spoilers:
I was seriously expecting a tense confrontation between Elma and Lao at the end after she revealed her suspicions about him being a spy, or even something as simple as Lao telling Lyn something cryptic that could've been interpreted as hin having regrets over sending Elma's party to their death.

A big issue I've got with the story is that it appears to be way too simple. So far most characters appear to have some secret motives behind their actions, but besides those bits of foreshadowing they're mostly acting in really boring ways (ie: "Linly, Tatsu not food!"). I've actually been liking the side missions more since those at least get to do some world-buildin; most of the characters in these quests are completely forgettable, but at least you get to catch a glimpse of the citizens' lives and some of their wacky/creepy adventures (the water purification plant quest, damn).

I've also been rocking that oversized skell sword that deals like 20-30K damage for 200 fuel. It's great for one-shotting small and medium-sized enemies, and nearly killing larger ones.

Seiru

Banned
Man, when a quest has you hunting down a monster that you've never met, with no waypoint. Feels bad. Thank god for the internet.

Daknight

Hit my first grind quest. It was Lin's repair...darn puges things. Hard to find and getting the two drops was a pain O_O The walk toward the new place (Oblivian?) Took to some nice sight thru Primordia. Had to save before reaching it. Hope to finish the quest tommorrow.

finalflame

U9QBU1H.jpg

So good.

Mechanical > Archaeological > Biological

this is true for the most part. The only area you're straight up fucked for not having biological is Sylvallum. So many of the field skill items are biological it's almost useless to go there without it.

Speaking of, burnt myself out from just flying with the mech around the maps. I have one area to go at my current field skill level but I stopped for the day. Tomorrow I should be able to continue doing that. Just by grabbing ALL of these items and with the steady amount of money of mine I am about to hit 3 million. And I'm only level 40 so I still have 20 more to go before the end game level 60 skells.

Tomorrow's goal will be to finish off Cauldros with what I can do. Late tonight I might grind high level easy enemies to get my party members to above 40, which is where I'm currently at. We'll be overleveled as fuch at least for chapter 10, but I already saw what happens in some of these boss battles even when overleveled. And maybe start setting up the research probes around optimal places.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just happened to explore some of Sylvalum before accepting a couple affinity quests that ended up requiring me to go there. That worked out :p

Qurupeke

Chapter 12 fights spoiler
First, I know there's a bit more and Vita is not the final boss(I wonder if 3DS... lol).

Anyway, I try to beat it but most, if not all of my party is wiped off their Skells. Can I beat whatever is after Vita without Skells? Or I really should go for level 50 Skells...?

Still need an answer, it's an important question for that chapter and whether I should grind or not tomorrow. :p Also, if people could post their setup(levels, Skells) for it, it would be helpful.

aravuus

I've wrapped up chapter nine and gotten the skell flight module right before calling it quits for today. Yet again I was getting thrashed by the boss and its minions and had to lower the difficulty to stand a chance, but whatever.

Episode 9 end spoilers:
I was seriously expecting a tense confrontation between Elma and Lao at the end after she revealed her suspicions about him being a spy, or even something as simple as Lao telling Lyn something cryptic that could've been interpreted as hin having regrets over sending Elma's party to their death.

A big issue I've got with the story is that it appears to be way too simple. So far most characters appear to have some secret motives behind their actions, but besides those bits of foreshadowing they're mostly acting in really boring ways (ie: "Linly, Tatsu not food!"). I've actually been liking the side missions more since those at least get to do some world-buildin; most of the characters in these quests are completely forgettable, but at least you get to catch a glimpse of the citizens' lives and some of their wacky/creepy adventures (the water purification plant quest, damn).

I've also been rocking that oversized skell sword that deals like 20-30K damage for 200 fuel. It's great for one-shotting small and medium-sized enemies, and nearly killing larger ones.

The main story is honestly kind of a throwaway one. They bring up a lot of intriguing stuff but never really answer anything (at least during the said main missions), it's incredibly straightforward and very little actually happens. The story has (imho really stupid) plot twists towards the end, but they're almost all either asspulls of no consequence or ones that just raise more questions.

So yeah, I'd honestly advise people to not really care about the main story. I'm not saying it's BAD, I personally enjoyed it more or less for what it was, but don't go in expecting a 'proper' long JRPG story, much less a super twisty one the Xeno games are known for.

Story-wise, the side quests are absolutely where it's at. Lots of interesting short stories, and they flesh out the world pretty satisfyingly.

Still need an answer, it's an important question for that chapter and whether I should grind or not tomorrow. :p Also, if people could post their setup(levels, Skells) for it, it would be helpful.

I had an easy time with a level 55 party. I was on foot, using overdrives as much as possible, rest of the team was in the more expensive level 30 heavy skells (can't remember the name, but they cost like 500k a piece).

And when I said easy time, I mean I pretty much just spammed whatever arts I could, not really thinking at all. I was wearing random level 40-50 equipment, although the Archetype Sword I had equipped was specced to raise my melee attack as much as possible so I might have been dealing more damage than your average player would.

JulianImp

Hit my first grind quest. It was Lin's repair...darn puges things. Hard to find and getting the two drops was a pain O_O The walk toward the new place (Oblivian?) Took to some nice sight thru Primordia. Had to save before reaching it. Hope to finish the quest tommorrow.

And another one falls for that quest. The fact you can't abandon it due to being an affinity quest is even more of a pain, since you have to grind both for the blasted white cometites and then those items the puges drop.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Does anyone know where the probe site is on fukai pass in noctilum? is it at the very top where I need a skell? Im just not seeing any red light not even using the camera to scan the area.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
And another one falls for that quest. The fact you can't abandon it due to being an affinity quest is even more of a pain, since you have to grind both for the blasted white cometites and then those items the puges drop.

The items the puges drop, you can buy them with reward tickets from the Blade Barracks computer.

foxuzamaki

Just use your reward tickets

Qurupeke

I had an easy time with a level 55 party. I was on foot, using overdrives as much as possible, rest of the team was in the more expensive level 30 heavy skells (can't remember the name, but they cost like 500k a piece).

And when I said easy time, I mean I pretty much just spammed whatever arts I could, not really thinking at all. I was wearing random level 40-50 equipment, although the Archetype Sword I had equipped was specced to raise my melee attack as much as possible so I might have been dealing more damage than your average player would.

I guess I'll grind a few levels because I'm 48-50. I heard the whole thing is quite long and I really have no desire to keep fighting
Vita
again and again...

Riki

Maybe I did it later in the game than most people but I had everything but the two items from the puges which took all of 5 minutes to get.
Same with "A New Rival". Super simple quest for me at level 18.

For me, the white cometites were not a problem when I was doing that quest (although I did have to look up some extra FN sites to speed up the process slightly). I actually spent most of my time fast traveling to FN site 119, kill puges, rinse and repeat. After I finally got the energy tubes, I just picked up some normal missions from NLA and worked on those in the meantime.

Xenoboy

I just beat chapter 4 and I smell shit's going to go down. I love L too btw, his voice is ace.
Now, why the hell are there so many Shield Troopers? L, H.B, Lin... It's getting out of hand and it's early game too -.-

MrPanic

You can use reward tickets to buy enemy drops, that's what I usually do if it's for a affinity quest that locks you in.

Daknight

Just use your reward tickets

Didn't know that, but then again I have never used the rewards tickets at all :p

For me, the white cometites were not a problem when I was doing that quest (although I did have to look up some extra FN sites to speed up the process slightly). I actually spent most of my time fast traveling to FN site 119, kill puges, rinse and repeat. After I finally got the energy tubes, I just picked up some normal missions from NLA and worked on those in the meantime.

That is what I did, Fast travel to that spot and kill the puges. Is still a bit annoying repeating the process. Now afraid the time I'll have to spend for the white cometites O_O

Kouriozan

I was 51, my character had that 4.2M skell while the other had some 30 ones.
Trained the Galactic Knight class first, mastered 2 others final class but kept photon saber/flying gun (can't remember the name).

foxuzamaki

So whats the best way to build TP, I think i may have too many TP using auras and attacks in my art list so I am very limited in my move pool if i want to conserve alot of TP

KarmaCow

So whats the best way to build TP, I think i may have too many TP using auras and attacks in my art list so I am very limited in my move pool if i want to conserve alot of TP

Melee builds up TP faster than range but also look into customizing your Soul Voice prompts and what your allies have to get the most out of it.

Sure thing.

Basically look at Oblivia, the rest are some areas with a lot of Sighseeing spots and/or A grade revenue. I'm missing like half the map of Cauldros and Sylphaum is mostly unexploited. Also, the difference is the numbers is because I found a better spot while taking the pictures and I changed some probes to generate almost 1K more. lol

Hey just wanted to say that even with just the few research probes I had I was able to get to 120K by replicating what you had in oblivia as close as possible. Those sightseeing spots are fucking crazy in what they give in revenue.

Neoweee

The items the puges drop, you can buy them with reward tickets from the Blade Barracks computer.

Yeah, this should have been one of the biggest pieces of advice to new players.

The Reward Ticket Terminal lets you circumvent bad quest design and low drop rates. Most quest drops are purchasable. Use it freely.

Effect

So I just finished chapter 5. Wow. The story just
just went super scifi on me and I love it. I did not expect the mims thing at all. I figured something else was being hidden from you but not that. Then there is the entire thing with the Samaar and vast it is. I love that shit in games.
To many scifi games will hold back or only go so far. That this game just went for it is impressive.

Squishy3

Personally I love Curators you get 5 BLADE xp each time you collect a collectible on the field. Never tried the others.
If every curator farmed the low-level Tyrants we'd also be number 1 easy. The fast-footed one in Noctilum that you encounter on the way for the chapter 4 mission is really easy and Tyrants respawn everytime you fast travel back to the exact probe... easy 60 points.

Plum

Is there a way to see a list of the landmarks and stuff you've found?

For landmarks just use the FrontierNAV view with the recon icons and check (every hex has one landmark or probe).

For stuff I assume you mean items, and in that case you better start registering things in the collectopedia.

Parfait

You pretty much need to have a team of lvl 30 Skells at least. I remember going there and I didn't seem to get anything after failing to do much damage. If you can't take out at least one of his life bars, it seems like going there just ends up costing blade medals.
Whenever I go, i tend to maybe get one other person. Doesn't matter who they are, but I'd usually time out anyway. They either have a 30 skell or better. Taking out one or two of his bars is easy if you get a phoenix and a blade, and one of the skells you can buy comes with a blade already.

Heck I can probably take this guy on foot for a little bit if I had whatever it is augment to ignore reflect damage.

I would try Global Nemesis more often if it didn't require spending BLADE Medals. These things have been so hard to get hold of that I only had one upon being able to play in Global Nemesis mode, and I've been pretty diverse in what I've been doing in-game, including Squad goals & missions.

Blade medals are pretty easy to get. Scout some dudes and play with them for a while then return them at the counter, boom 3 medals.

1. Any skill/art suggestions for Lin? I have no idea what to do with her

2. Should I build up Mechanical all the way before going to the others, or do it more balanced?

Vena

1. Any skill/art suggestions for Lin? I have no idea what to do with her

2. Should I build up Mechanical all the way before going to the others, or do it more balanced?

Focus on her team buffing, taunts, and shield abilities. Makes her a solid tank. Don't bother much with her gatling gun.

Pooped out Noppon in a rain coat... fascinating.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Blade medals are pretty easy to get. Scout some dudes and play with them for a while then return them at the counter, boom 3 medals.

Cheers for the confirmation. I read through the manual after my post to check for medal sources and discovered scouting as an option, but was discouraged by the "possibility" of getting medals after scouting being described as as a "rare" random drop. Nice to know it's a reliable source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom