• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about picking this up. Is there any disadvantage to playing through with the Pro controller over the GamePad? I read the part about Frontier Net, but I can probably still utilize that with the GamePad at my side right?

Malus

I hate how hard it is to run away from enemies and how far they chase you. Took me like 15 tries to get past this mob that is too high level for me to fight to get to the data probe behind them.

Love it. Feels great when you finally manage to sneak around.

I just decided to run out of NLA into Primordia randomly exploring. Climbed a mountain I hadn't climbed before and ended up at the edge of an enemy base. Picked up some treasure while they had their backs turned. 100 hours in and still discovering stuff in the first area. Really though, Primordia has gotta be one of the best "first levels" in gaming.

Greye

You haven't gotten the skell (after chapter 6) so I'd at least try till there.

Mainly the focus of the game is on surveying the planet's continents. The more probes you plant the more revenue you receive and the more info (and thus, quests) becomes available to you. Because of this I also recommend you get your Mechanical Blade level to 4 before you level up Biological or Archaeological Try to talk around the city as it will open up some questlines and give you some information around the world.

Tyvm! I will follow your advice

Junahu

I'm thinking about picking this up. Is there any disadvantage to playing through with the Pro controller over the GamePad? I read the part about Frontier Net, but I can probably still utilize that with the GamePad at my side right?
That's honestly how I play it; it actually feels better to have your map just sitting there on a table, instead of being smack dab in the middle of your controller.

Who are your main squad members? I've stuck with Elma and Lin since they seem to be required members for most missions.

For the last one I'm not sure who to stick with. I've gone through Lao, Nagi, and for now Irina has been my last member.
I stuck with Elma and Lin well past the story since I was so used to having them around, and the same reason as you, them being required for story missions.
As for the 4th,
after Lao was no longer able to be recruited and finishing the story with Gwin
, I chose Alexa for her techno fanaticism (which is basically a friendlier term for her love of Skells).
It was still touching in her 2nd affinity mission that explains her obsession.

Finalow

so how exactly do I unlock the level 60 Skell frames/Ares 90? Have to finish the game first?

seems like I either have to finish the game or get some blueprints to unlock them? Just need someone to confirm.

Vena

Evasion is always better than tanking hits in my opinion. If I remember correctly, most of, if not all of XBC's end game was based on evasion builds, right?

There are armor trade offs. Heavies have access to (what I believe) is the best armor in the game for maxing out raw damage output. Mediums can achieve infinite Overdrive. Lights can achieve nigh-untouchable evasion values.

zroid

Banned
For the first few chapters I was always using Elma+Lin everywhere I went, but after Chapter 5 I realized I had maxed out my affinity with them already, which wasn't particularly productive anymore.

Now I use Elma+Lin for any dificult missions, since they're much higher level than everyone else, but for random exploratory stuff I try to carry a rotation of any three other available characters.

Omzz

Ummm guys, I'm trying to reach my mechanical field level 5, but it seems the off the record mission has disappeared from the mission terminal :S. I see the one for biological and accepted that, but nothing there for mechanical. Halp

Am I gonna be able to use Lao in chapters 10-12? Or should I level up another person as a backup? I think Irina and my avatar are basically the same build and I'm stuck using her since shes the only other strong member I have.

After chapter 9, I'm gonna work on unlocking some more characters. Celica and Murderess looks cool. Also have to finish the rest of Mia's missions too.

Was this posted here already, I don't know. The voice actress of Lin made a little video about her experience with the game (auditioning, recording) and she also mentions how she feels about Lin's 'censorship.' Pretty cool -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKEO0ED8iA4

Though... Does she really read a Xenoblade Wii review at the start or is she trolling us? :I

ultimalionbgh

Neo Member
Ummm guys, I'm trying to reach my mechanical field level 5, but it seems the off the record mission has disappeared from the mission terminal :S. I see the one for biological and accepted that, but nothing there for mechanical. Halp

Unfortunately your only option is to spam-check the mission control until it pops out. That one took me a while...

There is one in Sylvalum in the giant orb thing. Be warned I can't kill him w my Ares 90...So good luck

It is possible to beat this one and Telethia, the endbringer with a properly augmented Ares 90. My wife did it the other day, it wasn't easy and she had to use some frame patches though.

Am I gonna be able to use Lao in chapters 10-12? Or should I level up another person as a backup? I think Irina and my avatar are basically the same build and I'm stuck using her since shes the only other strong member I have.

After chapter 9, I'm gonna work on unlocking some more characters. Celica and Murderess looks cool. Also have to finish the rest of Mia's missions too.

Nagi's a beast

Evasion is always better than tanking hits in my opinion. If I remember correctly, most of, if not all of XBC's end game was based on evasion builds, right?
It is not for all enemies tho
Think about it
You may not be able to harm a boss with a fast light build but you also dodge most attacks so you end up in a fight that takes an hour chipping away at it

So you need both really

Xenoboy

Is there actually anything of note in Primadoria/New LA/Noctilum/Etc Waters? Or are they just areas that exist and don't have much else to them? They don't even have a map, from what I know at least.

Finalow

got a level 30 orange Phoenix that does the same damage as a level 50? The stat is 6000.

I thought level 50 weapons were stronger than that, tbh.

btw Sylvalum bridge is amazing as farming spot for those broken Skell weapons, saved a lot of money already.

Ridley327

Is there actually anything of note in Primadoria/New LA/Noctilum/Etc Waters? Or are they just areas that exist and don't have much else to them? They don't even have a map, from what I know at least.

There are some small islands around that will house some Tyrants and treasure items. The surrounding waters are also a really good source for a lot of the Collectopedia items, since you won't be rubbing elbows with enemies while grabbing them.

got a level 30 orange Phoenix that does the same damage as a level 50? The stat is 6000.

I thought level 50 weapons were stronger than that, tbh.

btw Sylvalum bridge is amazing as farming spot for those broken Skell weapons, saved a lot of money already.

An orange 50 is stronger then an orange 30. You can see the actual weapon level in the 'model number.' of an item. So some weapons will require a level 50 frame, but there's a lvl 40 version, a lvl 50 version, and a lvl 60 version of those weapons.

So a lvl 40 version will have +7 mods like Spec. Range Attack VII, a levle 50 will have +9 or +10, and a lvl 60 will have +10 to up to +12.

Mechanical anything + big monsters are good sources of skell weapons. Always bring a ton of Treasure Sensor Gear if possible to maximize your drops.

etking

Banned
That's honestly how I play it; it actually feels better to have your map just sitting there on a table, instead of being smack dab in the middle of your controller.

Same for me but the tablet controller functions (fast travel, map and mining) have no replacement, so you need to switch devices often.

Mistle

Is it worth grinding out character affinity to complete affinity missions (which is what I've been doing so far, up to chapter 10), or should I just wait 'til post game when there's apparently a much easier way to get affinity?

Finalow

An orange 50 is stronger then an orange 30. You can see the actual weapon level in the 'model number.' of an item. So some weapons will require a level 50 frame, but there's a lvl 40 version, a lvl 50 version, and a lvl 60 version of those weapons.

So a lvl 40 version will have +7 mods like Spec. Range Attack VII, a levle 50 will have +9 or +10, and a lvl 60 will have +10 to up to +12.

Mechanical anything + big monsters are good sources of skell weapons. Always bring a ton of Treasure Sensor Gear if possible to maximize your drops.
that level 50 orange Phoenix has some really really low drop rate, I'd assume.

and yeah, I already have equipped 4 pieces of treasure sensor (VI and VII) gear on the party.

Xenoboy

There are some small islands around that will house some Tyrants and treasure items. The surrounding waters are also a really good source for a lot of the Collectopedia items, since you won't be rubbing elbows with enemies while grabbing them.

Thanks for the answer, it's something that has been bothering me for awhile. I think that they should had map for them, well at least Primordia Waters.

Astral Dog

Was this posted here already, I don't know. The voice actress of Lin made a little video about her experience with the game (auditioning, recording) and she also mentions how she feels about Lin's 'censorship.' Pretty cool -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKEO0ED8iA4

Though... Does she really read a Xenoblade Wii review at the start or is she trolling us? :I
Aww, i liked when Lin wanted to eat Tatsu🍴

now i wonder what teaumatic experience his VA had

Just swam all thew way from Primordia to Sylvalum. Fuck this game sometimes lol.

But it was totally worth it though. Sylvalum is so pretty

Lin's probably the best voiced character in the game.

OH WHAT shes Kyubey in the Madoka dub? Nice.

Nagi's a beast

Oh nice. Hopefully I wont have to spend too much time leveling him up to match the rest of my team.

Mat-triX

Question about NLA quests: Are there any that "expire" after reaching a certain point in the story? In X1, there were some, but they were indicated as timed. I don't see any indication here. No spoilers please.

JulianImp

Oh hey, looks like having a G2-Buster means I can farm joker and its minions for ridiculous amounts of exp and class levels! It's really fun to swing that sword-chain around and see all the level 60 bugs flip over and die at once (unless they don't, which makes for a much closer fight). Also, having so many high-level enemies in the same place also means it's awfully easy to get top-level gear from them.

By the way, I see Celica's affinity mission requires BFFs as a prequisite mission but I have been unable to find it anywhere inside NLA... are there any prequisite missions to that one as well that I might not have completed yet?

Question about NLA quests: Are there any that "expire" after reaching a certain point in the story? In X1, there were some, but they were indicated as timed. I don't see any indication here. No spoilers please.

AFAIK, the only thing that is missable in the whole game are affinity quests and heart-to-hearts that belong to one specific character. In case you want to know, it's
_____Lao_____

In case anyone cares. Finally got my
Ares 90
(I'll link to obligatory photo later). Why did I not think of going to Sylvalim and fighting the level 44 Xe-Dom there when I was trying to get Octopus board a few days ago? (I noticed this when getting advanced core) That aside impressions time. Disappointing against Joker. Yeah 1500 fuel cannon kills 12 bugs good but only 12 and for how much fuel? I'll stick with excavator here and AoEing the lot even if I have to mop up. Speaking of fuel it seems to use more when flying than my Excavator does. 4 arts only, fixed equips was also a bit of a let down.

However its improved strength is really noticeable and being able to slay things I could not before I just thought to myself; (Mia level up quote, pleased I never have to hear that again)
Whos growing in leaps and bounds? *uptalk* This girl

My first trial with the mech was in Oblivia against Hartmut, the Calamity (I've been wanting one of its drop for most of my playtime). I forgot to equip insectoid slayer augments, did some damage but got the mech blown up (successfully ejected and fell into the void of course). With my augments equipped 1500 fuel cannon usually slays it but sometimes I have to mop up with other arts.

I also got invited to the Telethia nemesis. While there were 2 ground melee builds doing the heavy lifting (there were over 200 kills total in the room meaning I have tomorrow to use the Telethia at least 50 stem cells I have to avoid the new ones overflowing and being sold for useless money) I'm pretty sure that while in cockpit overdrive the 1500 fuel laser killed the Telethia 5 times. I was lucky the Telethia didn't bother to bring ether reflect or it would have been humiliating (sure only 2 of the mechs 4 arts and its auto attacks are ether based...) suffice to say I now am now aware of the Reflect.NEG-* XX augments and will invest in them ...I didn't think they would be under weapons but it makes sense.

So that picture (note to self get an imgur account or something as miiverse quality is ass). There is also a glitch there. If your ally falls to their death during treasure box menu screen they seem to remain incapacitated until you complete another battle.

I also found a cave I had not before in Oblivia:
WVW69isIY4gQY1VO2r

Map location here. It really is another one of those "I've been playing for how long and still missed..." moments. So what does it have?
Some Skell sized level 60 enemies, a biology 4 chest
. The enemies sometimes drop level 60 armour which is nice. Is it me or are the armour drops based on enemy types. I felt Hartmut, the Calamity giving Orphean Technologies is too much of a coincidence.

Ya its not hard to farm for those parts. Also I now find out that Skell Frame Augment % boosts don't actually stack past 25%. Good to know.
I wonder if this applies to many other augments. Specifically Tresure Sensor (i.e. since I can now craft XX I can potentially have well, 400% drop rate boost with a fully decked party from augments alone...if I want to farm 640 Decrepit Wings and all the rest, but if it caps at 100% it is pretty pointless). In any case I've disabled avatar auto-updating so will eventually make a super treasure sensor scout that nobody will appreciate :p

Do you mean Ghost Factory? Grants Decoy?
Ghostwalker gives decoy to user only while ghost factory gives decoy to entire party but is TP art.

Well I was using photon saber for a while and just essence exchange soon as I wanted an overdrive, and I have skills that raise my TP

*kanye shrug*
Can't fault essence exchange but the TP rising skills are terrible. For all the BP you invested and (more importantly) the two skill slots you have to take up you achieve the exact same as one super easy to make Max TP up XX augment.

Go here. It is a small island with a fairly easy to kill mech tyrant (easy might be relative I used a level 60 excavator which is hardly much better than level 50 shop skells...bring a party is you're worried) and a mechanical 5 (I think it was 5) chest containing a Skell opening art damage up augment (+90% damage, of course if you get spotted it won't count). I think the other Islands are all near the coasts of the continents.

By the way, I see Celica's affinity mission requires BFFs as a prequisite mission but I have been unable to find it anywhere inside NLA... are there any prequisite missions to that one as well that I might not have completed yet?
Looking the the speadsheet you need to do The Ties That bind in the Commercial District. BFFs is then the barracks.

Kyzon

In case anyone cares. Finally got my
Ares 90
(I'll link to obligatory photo later). Why did I not think of going to Sylvalim and fighting the level 44 Xe-Dom there when I was trying to get Octopus board a few days ago? (I noticed this when getting advanced core) That aside impressions time. Disappointing against Joker. Yeah 1500 fuel cannon kills 12 bugs good but only 12 and for how much fuel? I'll stick with excavator here and AoEing the lot even if I have to mop up. Speaking of fuel it seems to use more when flying than my Excavator does. 4 arts only, fixed equips was also a bit of a let down.

However its improved strength is really noticeable and being able to slay things I could not before I just thought to myself; (Mia level up quote, pleased I never have to hear that again)
Whos growing in leaps and bounds? *uptalk* This girl

My first trial with the mech was in Oblivia against Hartmut, the Calamity (I've been wanting one of its drop for most of my playtime). I forgot to equip insectoid slayer augments, did some damage but got the mech blown up (successfully ejected and fell into the void of course). With my augments equipped 1500 fuel cannon usually slays it but sometimes I have to mop up with other arts.

I also got invited to the Telethia nemesis. While there were 2 ground melee builds doing the heavy lifting (there were over 200 kills total in the room meaning I have tomorrow to use the Telethia at least 50 stem cells I have to avoid the new ones overflowing and being sold for useless money) I'm pretty sure that while in cockpit overdrive the 1500 fuel laser killed the Telethia 5 times. I was lucky the Telethia didn't bother to bring ether reflect or it would have been humiliating (sure only 2 of the mechs 4 arts and its auto attacks are ether based...) suffice to say I now am now aware of the Reflect.NEG-* XX augments and will invest in them ...I didn't think they would be under weapons but it makes sense.

So that picture (note to self get an imgur account or something as miiverse quality is ass). There is also a glitch there. If your ally falls to their death during treasure box menu screen they seem to remain incapacitated until you complete another battle.

I also found a cave I had not before in Oblivia:
WVW69isIY4gQY1VO2r

Map location here. It really is another one of those "I've been playing for how long and still missed..." moments. So what does it have?
Some Skell sized level 60 enemies, a biology 4 chest
. The enemies sometimes drop level 60 armour which is nice. Is it me or are the armour drops based on enemy types. I felt Hartmut, the Calamity giving Orphean Technologies is too much of a coincidence.

I wonder if this applies to many other augments. Specifically Tresure Sensor (i.e. since I can now craft XX I can potentially have well, 400% drop rate boost with a fully decked party from augments alone...if I want to farm 640 Decrepit Wings and all the rest, but if it caps at 100% it is pretty pointless). In any case I've disabled avatar auto-updating so will eventually make a super treasure sensor scout that nobody will appreciate :p

Ghostwalker gives decoy to user only while ghost factory gives decoy to entire party but is TP art.

Can't fault essence exchange but the TP rising skills are terrible. For all the BP you invested and (more importantly) the two skill slots you have to take up you achieve the exact same as one super easy to make Max TP up XX augment.

Go here. It is a small island with a fairly easy to kill mech tyrant (easy might be relative I used a level 60 excavator which is hardly much better than level 50 shop skells...bring a party is you're worried) and a mechanical 5 (I think it was 5) chest containing a Skell opening art damage up augment (+90% damage, of course if you get spotted it won't count). I think the other Islands are all near the coasts of the continents.

Looking the the speadsheet you need to do The Ties That bind in the Commercial District. BFFs is then the barracks.

Well this is something to look into for the post game. I'll be playing around with systems more now.

JulianImp

Oh, so the spreadsheets has a list of prequisite missions as well? I've only used it for looking up enemy drops without having to check enemies one-by-one in-game so far, so I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

rhandino

Banned

This was awesome and wow at the amounts of lines that she had to record. I can't even imagine how hard the localization process for this game must have been and now I have even more respect for the 8-4 and Treehouse.

Lin and Elma are 2 of my favorite characters in a long time and their voice actress are a really big part of that =3

The death lobster mission. What even. I'm stuck at 47 and can't find anymore ;~;
It's the eagle feathers in Assassins Creed II all over again isn't T_T

I am not even intentionally trying to go for the lobster stuff. I just pick them up if I happen to see them and I have around 27 so far. Seems to be the best way to do it since I would hate to track down all 99 at once.

Anyone else feel bad killing those purple cat looking things with the big ears? They have a high pitched scream when youre attacking them and it makes me sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom