• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

jorgeton

Saejima's hunting portion really grew on me. Ended up completing every main mission and request.
lol poor Baba just sitting there for days...

I hope they keep these robust side games in Yakuza 6. So far they've been highlights. I would pay money for a full Kazuma taxi drift racing game.

Squishy3

I want a ridiculous Yakuza spin-off game where Kazuma Kiryu gets cryogenically frozen and has to deal with Yakuza in the far future, like Futurama. Gimme that sci-fi Yakuza

We've already been to the past and had zombies, this is clearly the next step for a spinoff

MYeager

having just reached haruka's chapter, i feel the pacing in y5 is much worse than y4's. cutscene after cutscene after cutscene and this is compounded by how many of the text box conversations are voiced which makes it slightly slower to mash x to speed through . i'm also not sure having so many different cities was worth it given how undercooked they are. fukuoka's average but tsukimino is a cramped, small and boring--i blasted through saejima's final part as fast as i could.

Not suggesting you do mash through the text, but if so you don't have to keep mashing X. If you hold X down and press R1 it'll scroll through it quicker.

I want a ridiculous Yakuza spin-off game where Kazuma Kiryu gets cryogenically frozen and has to deal with Yakuza in the far future, like Futurama. Gimme that sci-fi Yakuza

We've already been to the past and had zombies, this is clearly the next step for a spinoff

I'd love that, it'd make a really crazy spin off but I could see it working.

Heck, just have Kiryu meet up with the crew from Binary Domain as they team up to stop the robo Yakuza of the future. Also Majima would totally turn up as a Cyborg at some point just because...

Tizoc

Yakuza set in an cyberpunk Akira-like future setting? Count me the fuck in.

Question about hostess substory, going to spoiler tag it just in case...
So, I gathered all the girls to Elise and want to go visit Shion at Elise as Shinada but I can't. I went back to Kineicho in case I'd get a text from her saying she's working but when I tried to go to Eden it says she's in Kamurocho. Is there anyway to see her again? I haven't sang karaoke with them together and I really want to!

Finished all my uni work for the year now. Time to keep playing. I stopped just after Kiryu's section of him being cool. So time to move onto Saejima in prison!
again

Moze

Banned
Why were people calling the story for this one awful? So far it seems much better and less convoluted than Yakuza 4.

Okay, what's the deal with the Print Circle ghost? The chase segment started me off in the opposite direction after a QTE so I lost him and ended up failing the substory. I can't go on not knowing!

The pacing is bad and there's a lot of fillers.

I'm close to ending and yes, it starts amazing with Kiryu but Saejima part is dreadfully paced, way to slow. haruka is ... compelling but I could see why many people didn't like it and Akiyama doesn't have enough spot light he's the best character in the series godamit. Shinada was... Weird, was to convulted and I still can't get a grip on the character, he's likeable but also to childish... And the final act just drags on and on and on...

Yakuza 4 is still king in pacing even if 5 has more content I guess and it's still amazing and fun but my god that Final Chapter just never ends, always more twists, always another hidden vilain, another filler...

If you want a lean and mean plot that gets right to the point, Yakuza is not the series for you.

At least for me, the "fluff"/"filler" is a big part of the series' appeal.

its not an either/or proposition

y4 was extremely convoluted but did things right in the early going by having you play as the fun and affable akiyama. kaz's chapter in y5 begins strong but by part 4 it's just wall-to-wall cutscenes and text box conversations where it's mostly kaz with puzzled looks on his face getting yakuza politics info dumped on him. then you get saejima's chapter which doesn't even open up until part 3 only to again get assaulted by info dumps on yakuza politics in part 4.

aravuus

Saejima's part has made it hard for me to pick the game up and play. I boot it up and play for 20-30 minutes before just giving up, it's dreadfully dull.

Underrail coming out tomorrow and Cold Steel arriving sometime around christmas aren't gonna help.

its not an either/or proposition

y4 was extremely convoluted but did things right in the early going by having you play as the fun and affable akiyama. kaz's chapter in y5 begins strong but by part 4 it's just wall-to-wall cutscenes and text box conversations where it's mostly kaz with puzzled looks on his face getting yakuza politics info dumped on him. then you get saejima's chapter which doesn't even open up until part 3 only to again get assaulted by info dumps on yakuza politics in part 4.

I'm still in Kiryu's part (chapter 4), and so far I'm enjoying it. There have been some long patches of cutscenes, but I enjoy the machinations where everybody's backstabbing everybody else, and there's been plenty of time for me to beat people up and do all the other things Yakuza games let you do. Although I do enjoy the narrative of Kiryu's Another Story more than main plot so far.

MYeager

Why were people calling the story for this one awful? So far it seems much better and less convoluted than Yakuza 4.

Have you beat it? Because I don't think you can call the end of Y5 less convoluted. It has pacing issues and I say that as someone who loved Y3. It has some strong moments but I thought story-wise it was the worst of the bunch. Of course that was playing through the Japanese version, I'm nowhere near done with the localized version as I'm taking my time and doing every little thing.

Y4 built up to its climax really well. Y5 is a series of starts and stops. Y2 is still the best :D

Megauap

I really want to start this game but first I have to finish Dragon Age Inquisition. Hopefully I will be done with it by Monday but I don't want to rush that game either.
Also, I still have to plug in my PS3 and download this game :S

Squishy3

For all the kind of ??? things that happen during the ending sequence, the final boss fight is a really good final boss fight. Probably one of my favorites in the series so far.

Tizoc

Need help with Shinada; how do I do his baseball stuff? I'm at the start of ch. 2 and this baseball challenge is confusing me @_@

Tizoc

The baseball sidequest shoulda started automatically as you left your apartment. Once you beat Shirakawa the first time, Coach shows up. He'll then direct you to meet him at the pool lounge.

Thing is I'm unable to get the home run :p I know I gotta move the cursor to match with the pink glow but even then I keep missing :X

Thing is I'm unable to get the home run :p I know I gotta move the cursor to match with the pink glow but even then I keep missing :X

Each button has a zone where it can hit the ball. If you press triangle, then the ball has to be in that zone for you to get a hit. Make sure the ball or the pink glow turns yellow first before batting.

I'm currently at level 20 with Haruka and it seems like that's the max level so I can't get more soul points by leveling up. But the thing is that there are still abilities that I haven't been able to buy!

I'm currently at level 20 with Haruka and it seems like that's the max level so I can't get more soul points by leveling up. But the thing is that there are still abilities that I haven't been able to buy!

You can raise the level cap to 25 in the final part, as well as use the IF8 machine to get more soul points.

hamchan

I'm only up to the Kiryu section of the final chapter but I thought the story has been great so far. I have no idea how they're going to link all the stories up but individually they've all been well paced and came with a good amount of twists, that aren't super convoluted. Of course that could all change when they try to connect all the characters up.

You can raise the level cap to 25 in the final part, as well as use the IF8 machine to get more soul points.
Thanks.

So I can get those upgrades as well? Good.

Did IF machine always work like that? I remember getting 100% of abilities for all characters in Yakuza 4 but I did it a very long time ago so I don't remember if IF machine did the same back then. (I do remember finishing all fights in IF7 though, but I don't know if I did to get new heat moves or soul points)

Heartfyre

I'm having an odd issue while trying to download this game. When it reaches 25% downloaded, 5824MBs exactly, the HDD access light goes solid, the game stops downloading, the UI starts loading slowly, and I get audio skipping issues when playing games, even ones that don't read from the HDD. This goes away if I pause the download, and return once I reactivate it. On my second attempt, the same symptoms came up at the exact same time. Anyone else get anything similar?

I assume not, and it means my HDD's dying out. It's strange since it's otherwise working flawlessly. But if I have to use another one to play Yakuza 5, I will.

Finally, beat Amon, beat the game. 89:11 on the clock, 47.22% completion. A few of those hours were the PS3 sitting idle, while I looked stuff up or took a break, but yeah. A lot of time.

Have you beat it? Because I don't think you can call the end of Y5 less convoluted. It has pacing issues and I say that as someone who loved Y3. It has some strong moments but I thought story-wise it was the worst of the bunch. Of course that was playing through the Japanese version, I'm nowhere near done with the localized version as I'm taking my time and doing every little thing.

Y4 built up to its climax really well. Y5 is a series of starts and stops. Y2 is still the best :D

I disagree, while I do think the story had its issues, Y5 just felt a lot more grounded than most games in the series.
The conspiracy wasn't actually THAT crazy, It was just a bitter old man trying to leave something behind for his son while taking out any rivals. No crazy government/CIA conspiracies, none of that stuff. OTOH, Shinada really had no reason to be in the game. I liked his stuff, and he's a fun character, but he could have been cut and the story wouldn't have lost much. Overall though, it's probably my favorite story since 2.

This may also be the first Yakuza that didn't
have someone getting shot by someone who the main characters CLEARLY should have disarmed.

So that's a plus.

The set up for the final fights also wasn't as cool as 4, though I think I liked these better.

Only things I didn't like in the ending were
the Majima stuff seemed undercooked. Where the hell was he, how did he get captured, and what the hell was he planning?
None of that came across well.

The thing that REALLY annoyed me was
Haruka quitting at the end. It's shit. Although to be fair, if Yakuza ties are a career killer for idols, anyone associated with Osaka talent is FUCKED as their President has been outed as a Yakuza. It does come off as a bit of an asshole move by Haruka though. Yeah, she wants to see Kiryu, but for god's sake she kinda shat on everyone who got her to that point. I love that girl, but seriously, that ending was a cop out.

Destroyed the Princess League finals. How much is left of Part 3? I'm not sure if I'm ready to say goodbye to Haruka and Akiyama yet. Hopefully they'll give Mr. A a bigger part in 6.

Sounds more like Eurodance then Hip/Hop
Just saying

The genre names aren't very accurate. The rock song sounds more like jazz than the jazz song, which is just pop.

I pre-ordered the game and started playing it day 1 but I'm only like 3 hours into the game because I'm also playing Destiny (always) and The Witcher 3.

Also, of those 3 hours I spent at least one of them in the Sega arcade playing Taiko and the crane game...

squall23

Can Haruka not fight
Noa Amon
in Premium Adventure? I fought the others at the last chapter of part 5 when I decided to finish sub stories but it was too late for Haruka by then. Do I have to start a new game now?

MYeager

Finally, beat Amon, beat the game. 89:11 on the clock, 47.22% completion. A few of those hours were the PS3 sitting idle, while I looked stuff up or took a break, but yeah. A lot of time.

I disagree, while I do think the story had its issues, Y5 just felt a lot more grounded than most games in the series.
The conspiracy wasn't actually THAT crazy, It was just a bitter old man trying to leave something behind for his son while taking out any rivals. No crazy government/CIA conspiracies, none of that stuff. OTOH, Shinada really had no reason to be in the game. I liked his stuff, and he's a fun character, but he could have been cut and the story wouldn't have lost much. Overall though, it's probably my favorite story since 2.

This may also be the first Yakuza that didn't
have someone getting shot by someone who the main characters CLEARLY should have disarmed.

So that's a plus.

The set up for the final fights also wasn't as cool as 4, though I think I liked these better.

Only things I didn't like in the ending were
the Majima stuff seemed undercooked. Where the hell was he, how did he get captured, and what the hell was he planning?
None of that came across well.

The thing that REALLY annoyed me was
Haruka quitting at the end. It's shit. Although to be fair, if Yakuza ties are a career killer for idols, anyone associated with Osaka talent is FUCKED as their President has been outed as a Yakuza. It does come off as a bit of an asshole move by Haruka though. Yeah, she wants to see Kiryu, but for god's sake she kinda shat on everyone who got her to that point. I love that girl, but seriously, that ending was a cop out.

I agree with you on
Majima and Shinada. Sine Majima's my favorite character his dead being used as a Deus Ex Machina that they don't delve into a bigger deal than you maybe. That one of the playable characters felt like complete filler also bothered me more. I agree with you on the Haruka part at the end but I felt the Kazuma/Haruka relationship outweighed the rest so I didn't really think of it that way.

Y4s storylines interconnected better, and the conspiracy stuff to me was so goofy to the point of self-parody. Honestly Kazuma should just head to the highest rooftop in the next one and take his shirt off so he can just skip to the end

That said I put over 50 hours into the import and plan on putting twice that into the localized version, so I still love the game. I just think the story was the weakest in the series.

im glad we're going back to two characters in zero. having five protagonists sounds nice on paper but i think it's rushed some of the plotting--really feeling it in haruka/akiyama's chapter.

20151217220957.png

Can i tell this arrogant dude that old guys are often stronger that inexperienced youth like him ?
He's like way too arrogant.

DasFool

Beat the game, 98 hours in, all side and sub stories done, 65% completion. I still have most of the coliseum, mini-games, Chicken racing (god), and oh so much more. I can see myself putting double that playtime into this game.

Thought the overall plot was solid, barring a somewhat strange ending and Shinada's questionable role. The action sequences were ace, however, and a lot of characters memorable. It's not as personal as 2 was, but that's a high standard to live up to.

This is my GOTY without a doubt. We've been waiting three years for this and it lives up to every bit of the hype. Thank you, Nagoshi and team.

Man, Kiryu's Another Story was so good. I really enjoyed how it fleshed out the characters at the taxi company. The ending was really heartwarming.

Hopefully the other characters' Another Story can live up to this one!

Top Bottom