• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah, at $700 the PS5 Pro is expensive for a console, but I spent more than double that on my GPU alone

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
CLosest i could find. This logic would only work if we can shiw rigjt now a pc that is comparable to the base ps5 fot same price. Maybe we should start there as its been 4 years. But brand new and not built with used parts.
4060 is a piece of crap. As for the second point, not really. What the PS5 Pro has over the regular PS5 is really just a faster GPU with PSSR and an extra 1TB of storage. Don't forget that the PS5 also didn't drop in price since it was introduced. In fact, the Slim DE is even $450 instead of $400. On the flip side, a 2070S class GPU that cost $500 in 2020 is now $300. The 8700 XT/RTX 5060 will likely be in the $300-400 price range and will match a Pro and completely exceed the base PS5. The PS5's value proposition hasn't increased or even remained static compared to PC, it has decreased because the console is the same price while PC parts have dropped significantly. And also, that 13700F is still much faster than the console's CPU. Oh, and that build is poorly balanced. If you can't build it yourself, your best bet is to go to a retailer that builds custom PCs for you and pick out the parts yourself.

In due time, I will pick out different PC parts for a PC build and you will see the PC won't be that much more expensive (maybe not at all). The PS5 Pro's value is getting dangerously close to that of DIY PCs and that's not good. For now, you’ll get a PC that’s actually better for quite a bit more money, or one that’s a bit worse for like $800. The PS5 really has no PC equivalent. It falls between different tiers.

Last edited:

Three

I don't even disagree with most of what you said and still he had a really dumb take.
Saying no one uses a desktop PC is pretty fucking retarded, just looking at steam users alone, vast majority are gaming on desktop pcs.
That was his point, Steam is gaming. He was talking about outside of gaming.
It's even stupid to bring PC to this, obviously they are 2 different markets. And btw the $700 is the low end of the price, pretty much only applicable in one country. If you live in Europe, I assure you 800 Eur is not the same as $700. It's terrible price for the hardware and it's known limitations.
Europe has shit PC component prices too though.

akira__

4060 is a piece of crap. As for the second point, not really. What the PS5 Pro has over the regular PS5 is really just a faster GPU with PSSR and an extra 1TB of storage. Don't forget that the PS5 also didn't drop in price since it was introduced. In fact, the Slim DE is even $450 instead of $400. On the flip side, a 2070S class GPU that cost $500 in 2020 is now $300. The 8700 XT/RTX 5060 will likely be in the $300-400 price range and will match a Pro and completely exceed the base PS5. The PS5's value proposition hasn't increased or even remained static compared to PC, it has decreased because the console is the same price while PC parts have dropped significantly. And also, that 13700F is still much faster than the console's CPU. Oh, and that build is poorly balanced. If you can't build it yourself, your best bet is to go to a retailer that builds custom PCs for you and pick out the parts yourself.

In due time, I will pick out different PC parts for a PC build and you will see the PC won't be that much more expensive (maybe not at all). The PS5 Pro's value is getting dangerously close to that of DIY PCs and that's not good. For now, you’ll get a PC that’s actually better for quite a bit more money, or one that’s a bit worse for like $800. The PS5 really has no PC equivalent. It falls between different tiers.

Why don't you follow your own advice? Why submit to Mark Cerny and playstation with your ps5 pro preorder?

Last edited:
That was his point, Steam is gaming. He was talking about outside of gaming.

Europe has shit PC component prices too though.
You're really trying to steelman his position, but even then, what a reach... There's a myriad of things you can do on the desktop and you can't on the console. As an example, something as simple as web browsing which can't even be done on modern consoles. No need to get into more when even something as basic as this is not possible on a current console.

Shitty prices, to some degree yes, but to a large degree you still see parity on the digit pricing for a lot of things. The problem here is that they decided to increase it as well, which takes the console to a level that will not sell to anywhere close as the ps4 pro did. Not even 20% I bet. Also game prices in Europe are 80Eur, not $70, this shit adds up. Same game on pc you can usually buy free of taxes and for about 40% less.

Three

You're really trying to steelman his position, but even then, what a reach... There's a myriad of things you can do on the desktop and you can't on the console. As an example, something as simple as web browsing which can't even be done on modern consoles. No need to get into more when even something as basic as this is not possible on a current console.

Shitty prices, to some degree yes, but to a large degree you still see parity on the digit pricing for a lot of things. The problem here is that they decided to increase it as well, which takes the console to a level that will not sell to anywhere close as the ps4 pro did. Not even 20% I bet. Also game prices in Europe are 80Eur, not $70, this shit adds up. Same game on pc you can usually buy free of taxes and for about 40% less.
I think you're just continously missing his point that's all. Nobody buys a 4090 desktop to browse the web. They use their phone or tablet, that's his point. His entire point was that desktop PCs in the consumer space are probably mostly gaming PCs.

I think you're just continously missing his point that's all. Nobody buys a 4090 desktop to browse the web. They use their phone or tablet, that's his point. His entire point was that desktop PCs in the consumer space are probably mostly gaming PCs.
I don't think he ever referred to a 4090, you don't need anywhere close to the most expensive gpu in the market to have a gaming ready desktop. And the problem here is that somehow we're pretending a desktop PC is a single use case device, like a console is. Of course you don't buy a pc to "only" browse the web, you buy it for everything it comes with, including gaming in many cases. It's the most performance/cost optimized way of gaming too. No need to fit everything in on a tiny package with highly controlled power consumption, so definitely the best way to game.

Then you have entire genres that really only exist on PC like racing sims, flight sims, etc. Console emulation, video and photo editing/rendering, game development.

Also some of us need 2 free hands when browsing certain web content, so using a phone is not a great option :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_bicep:

Natsuko

So you can use the PS5 Pro for work in the future or get the kids to do their homework, right? Then it's totally worth doing without a PC. /s

If I have the choice of doing without a console or no longer having a PC in the house, the decision is very simple. And it's always in favour of the PC. No matter what kind of console it is. A PC can easily replace a console (and gaming is even cheaper with it, because no subscriptions are necessary and there are better sale offers), but the console cannot replace the PC. Unless of course you don't do anything with your PC apart from gaming and maybe multimedia.

MikeM

Gold Member
Yeah I spent over $1300 CAD for my 7900xt day 1. What I got for it though is basically guaranteed 120fps games which is my mind is more than worth it.

akira__

Fighting about what exactly?

The 8700 XT/RTX 5060 will likely be in the $300-400 price range and will match a Pro and completely exceed the base PS5. The PS5's value proposition hasn't increased or even remained static compared to PC, it has decreased because the console is the same price while PC parts have dropped significantly. And also, that 13700F is still much faster than the console's CPU. Oh, and that build is poorly balanced. If you can't build it yourself, your best bet is to go to a retailer that builds custom PCs for you and pick out the parts yourself.

Your comparing unreleased products solely based on your imagination.

On top of that your telling people to build a pc not even Richard thinks is possible.

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
No one is looking at the PS5 Pro in a vacuum, you have to realize that the PS5 exists. Compared to PS5 it's not worth the additional premium imo. Comparing to PC's or looking at the price at vace value is pointless.

Gaiff

Your comparing unreleased products solely based on your imagination.
No, I'm comparing upcoming products with known precedents and information.
On top of that your telling people to build a pc not even Richard thinks is possible.
I didn't tell anyone to build a PC. You would understand that if you actually bothered following the discussion, but you're a little fanboy who has the nerve of accusing people of "warring" when your first thread was you being a brick wall for 5 pages because DF seemingly didn't treat your favorite console fairly.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Yeah, both my last 2 GPUs together cost less than the PS5Pro, and I'm a PC only gamer.

Last edited:

Bitstream

Both my last 2 GPUs together cost less than the PS5Pro, and I'm a PC only gamer.
ok, but my last two PCS cost quadruple what the ps5pro costs. Whats your point? 2024 GPU prices have skyrocketed. The 4070 is $500 new. By the time you add on a CPU, 2TB of space, RAM, wifi7 and a controller, you're not getting close to 7.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Me too

It's great for the initial reaction if you want some hits but just like anything else, people who can't afford it won't get it or they'll be smart and trade in something like their old ps5. And those of us who want it will buy it. And both crowds will continue to get to enjoy the same games but with the pro you can enjoy things that I hire fidelity. I'm a power user, I want the best experience I can get. Games like GTA 6 or anything else that is out or going to run the best now on PlayStation. They already ran better in a large scale on Playstation as it is. You can chalk that up to whatever you want.

Continuing to complain to grown adults is no different than your kids or nephew coming up to you and telling you about one of their friends took their straw from their drink. It's irrelevant and in the face of an adult like me, it just doesn't fly. He will best get over it quickly and if they're not interested just vote with your wallet. Get the base unit is it still the best console out there and enjoy your life.

PCs are stupid expensive and you end up paying thousands for mild performance gains only.

That said I will be stupid enough to upgrade to a 5080 from a 4080... If the price is right.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Can build a decent 5600/7700xt PC for about $1,200CAD. No blu-ray drive but considering in Canada that online is $95/year, take $959 CAD + 5 years of online @ $95 = $1,434. Yeah add an Xbox controller and if you don’t already have a TV/monitor add that in, but makes you think.

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Klosshufvud

No brokiez need apply.

It's a Mercedes-AMG if that Mercedes AMG could only drive on certain roads Mercedes deemed were ok for you to drive on and every time you wanted to access its sports features, you'd have to pay a monthly fee for it. Also the Mercedes AMG would force you to drive down alleyways with ads on it and the only gas you could buy would be special snowflake Mercedes only gas that somehow costs two times more than the gas for other cars.

Meaning, this shit is nothing like a Mercedes AMG and the analogy sucks. Get the fuck outta here with that shilling.

StereoVsn

Can build a decent 5600/7700xt PC for about $1,200CAD. No blu-ray drive but considering in Canada that online is $95/year, take $959 CAD + 5 years of online @ $95 = $1,434. Yeah add an Xbox controller and if you don’t already have a TV/monitor add that in, but makes you think.

Thinking Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

And I would think on PS5 Pro side you would want the disk drive for flexibility since otherwise you only have one place to get games - PSN Store.

On PC side you have numerous storefronts, subscription methods and key sites. That makes purchasing digital games a lot cheaper and more flexible.

And this is why, IMO, disk drive is a must, especially in Europe where new physical releases are usually cheaper vs digital.

We are on a gaming enthousiast forum. If you have the means why not get that videocard when it releases.
Ultimately high end PCs represent very poor value in money.

I find going for the model just below the best is ideal.

Is a RTX 4090 better than a RTX 4080? Yes.
Is it worth more than double the price (I paid £800 for my 4080, 4090 is £1649 Amazon). Certainly not.

Euler007

My case + AIO + PSU was 855$. That's before I put the motherboard, 4090, 14900k (sit down AMD stans), 64GB of Ram, 4TB PCIE 4.0 SSD in there.

Gaiff

Ultimately high end PCs represent very poor value in money.

I find going for the model just below the best is ideal.

Is a RTX 4090 better than a RTX 4080? Yes.
Is it worth more than double the price (I paid £800 for my 4080, 4090 is £1649 Amazon). Certainly not.
Funny thing is, the 4090 used to be better value for your money. It was $1600 and the 4080 was $1200. 33% more expensive for 30% better performance, 50% more VRAM, and often over 40% better performance in rt-heavy scenarios. Now that the 4080 has dropped to $1000 and the 4090 has gone up to $1800, this is no longer the case.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
There's so many threads and articles from people who don't want this thing. More than those that want it. It's wild really.
Pocket watchers. Stop trying to inject your opinions into my purchases. If you can't afford it or don't want then move on. Chill out with "oh it's to much" but you know damn well they already preorderd the iPhone 16 pro max when they already have the 15. Miss me with that nonsense.

Dorago

How many people willing to buy a 4090 are also willing to buy a PS5 Pro?

What is the purpose of one if you already have the other?

-Dorago

why would you spend $1400 on a GPU when a $500 - $700 GPU can do the same, if not more? Not to mention, you can upgrade without buying a new pc.

Either way, the PS5 Pro will be relying on upscaling and most likely won’t be achieving true 4K without upscaling.

Eszti

Banned
why would you spend $1400 on a GPU when a $500 - $700 GPU can do the same, if not more? Not to mention, you can upgrade without buying a new pc.

Either way, the PS5 Pro will be relying on upscaling and most likely won’t be achieving true 4K without upscaling.
Because nvidia stands on it.

I once worked in a pc shop you wont believe it until you see it.

People bought 1050tis 4gb over the rx 470 8gb while the former was faster and had double the vram. Just because it was from nvidia.

Mindshare and marketing is a huge tool especially for casual consumers

REDRZA MWS

Same? Thats a stretch. My 4090 can run over 240 hz. Better ray tracing, and much more power. Want games to look and play their best, it’s PC.

Bitstream

Wifi7. What?
Controller is optional like mouse and keyboard is on console.
you're missing the point, the price of the pro includes the controller. This isn't about what you have already or what your preferences are, this is about beating the price to deliver a comparable value. When the pro includes a $75 controller, it needs to be taken into consideration when evaluating it's price.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't get the complaint for the price, It think it makes sense for the specs, maybe console gamers are not used to these prices?

I also think Sony set it thinking on existing users mostly, who can trade their current consoles for the Pro.

Top Bottom