• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah, at $700 the PS5 Pro is expensive for a console, but I spent more than double that on my GPU alone

SJRB

Gold Member
pZ8ravK.png

I'll never understand people that get salty over how others spend their money.

I own a high-end rig with a 4090 and I'm getting a PS5 Pro because I also enjoy playing on my PS5 and want the experience to come a little closer to what I get on my PC. I play a lot of PSVR2 games like GT7 and NMS and the Pro will help with that. It's my money and I work hard for it, and I don't need schmucks on the internet telling me how I spend it on my hobby. You don't like the Pro, that's fine, the regular PS5 is maybe for you but don't go around telling people how to spend their own money because 99% of the people pocket watching others spend tons of money on other useless crap that are way more expensive than the price of the Pro. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I live near Miami and see so many rich dudes driving stupid expensive sports cars like they are afraid they will break them is crazy

At least when I had fast cars I drove them hard but being 57 years old and 6'8" I have a very hard time getting in and out of something like that anymore
I know the exact types you are talking about down there. In fairness to them, their McLaren's might break 🤭

My buddies and I just hoon the shit out of them. We are just big kids with our toys!

Yeah wish I had a closer one to my hometown in Indiana, its about 3 hours away

I dont have a great picture of her I want to share, this is the only one that doesn't have me or me and my wife in

Was a 2006 Ford GT but got rid of her awhile back with my knee giving me troubles

zdFmiu0.jpeg

Its an old pic not long after I got her
A lot of car to handle out of the box with very little driving aids on stock meats. That car needed tire STAT after delivery, lol.

Nah he has a point in relation to this

Most people aren't building 4090 desktop PCs to send emails, surf the web, type up documents etc. Most people just have work laptops and those who require home workstations are few and far between. As he said they exist but are probably a small minority. Most consumer desktop builds with that hardware are probably primarily for gaming. Their work computers they're not even building or paying for to worry about "paying for more than just gaming".
I don't even disagree with most of what you said and still he had a really dumb take.
Saying no one uses a desktop PC is pretty fucking retarded, just looking at steam users alone, vast majority are gaming on desktop pcs.

It's even stupid to bring PC to this, obviously they are 2 different markets. And btw the $700 is the low end of the price, pretty much only applicable in one country. If you live in Europe, I assure you 800 Eur is not the same as $700. It's terrible price for the hardware and it's known limitations.

Mobilemofo

Scamming implies I was deceived or defrauded of which I was neither

If its something I deem worth it then no scam occurred
The market (i.e. the people) will decide it's value as always. If folk decide it's worth the money, then a purchase will be made. It really is that simple
😅

Anyway, I'm away to make a thread about how the ps5 pro is a load of shit and really give it "what for!!!".

Last edited:

bundylove

Because a 4070 Ti is over twice the rasterization performance of a PS5 when Cerny said verbatim the Pro is 45% faster. So why exactly are you going for a PC with a CPU that's 80% faster and GPU that's easily 20%+ faster and then complaining you cannot find it for $1000 CAD?

Those attempts are matching a console with a PC build are always moronic because it's always full of console gamers who are clearly told why their logic makes no sense or PC gamers trying to cut cost by buying shitty parts. The PS5 Pro is coming out in November. 1-3 months later, there will be new GeForce cards on the market and very soon, you will see a 5060/8700 XT going for $300-350 (thought the 4060 was $400, it's $300) and it should match the PS5 Pro's GPU. You will then be looking at a PC that's around $850 to match the Pro.

If you're going to spend money, be smart about it, don't be an idiot. I'm not big on TVs, but I'm not just buying the first one that comes up on Best Buy's webpage. I do my research and look for the best TV I can get for the best price. If money is such a concern, the least you can do is your due diligence and research what you're about to buy. Or is that too much of a hassle because you're too lazy to do that as well?
Give it up boy.
You will never show me anything close to the pro for a 1000 canadian or 700 Us for at least a year.

I dont care for a bunch of bla bla bla every time a new console comes around. Oh the 4070 ti is more powerfull oh wow i dont care.

I have machines that range from 70k to 180k where some have 3 full pc's in it if only one breaks they would charge me 4k per, i have 3 pc's for my office for orders and programming etc for my manufacturing business.

Understand there are many people like me who dont care to game on pc after a long day sitting in front of them or fighting with them .

Is the ps5 pro over priced? No. Could they sell it for less? Absolutely and they should.

To me 700 or 3k is nothing as i worked hard to get to where i am . But most are not that lucky and for them luxury or high end will mean ps5 pro. And you have to respect that.

Dont put those people down, dont tell them be smart with your money or other condesending comments you keep coming up with.

Eszti

Banned
i expect a rtx 5060ti to be on pro level if nvidia providee the same lousy improvement in the lower midrange. bur lets be real we dont know how the pro will perfrom it will perform on a game to game basis sometimes rx 7700xt sometimes lower and rarely higher than a7800xt. but the upscaling is the real star 2 times the perfromance in choosen games at the same power budget and better image quality is great. but 800€:messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_tears_of_joy:

bundylove

I live near Miami and see so many rich dudes driving stupid expensive sports cars like they are afraid they will break them is crazy

At least when I had fast cars I drove them hard but being 57 years old and 6'8" I have a very hard time getting in and out of something like that anymore
I became a truck only guy due to my shitty back. I cant get out of anything thats low.

I have my truck deleted so i can make some noise at least hahaha

JayK47

When I buy a PC, I plan to use it for gaming for 10 years and I will use it for other things well beyond that. I definitely get a return on my money. The same cannot be said about console gaming. Gamespot did a nice comparison that even includes inflation. It reveals that Playstations are the most expensive consoles. I guess you have to ask if they are worth it after costing the most. In the past, I would eventually be able to get a Playstation for less then the introductory rate. They traditionally would lower prices at some point or release a cheaper version with same or better specs. That has not been the case this generation. Between that is shit exclusives, I have yet to buy a PS5. If the release of the Pro doesn't lower prices of the base console, I will just pass on this generation altogether. The cost of the PS5 Pro is fucking insane when adding in a disk drive. Add in a game and an extra controller and you nearly hit 1 grand.

Console Cost Comparison

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Alright, the Pro is coming out on November 7th 2024 I believe. We have until November 7th 2025. I also quoted $850 US, but to be honest, given that the PS5 Pro's CPU will be an antique by late 2025, an entry-level CPU might be able to match it. $850 and I can exceed the Pro's performance with a PC. $700 by the end of next year might also be possible, but no guarantee. It should come within 10% though.
dont tell them be smart with your money
Coming from a guy who made it big, you're seriously telling me not to tell people to be smart with their money? Really? They should just spend frivolously and not do their research despite having limited funds? They shouldn't think and find the best their money can buy? I hope you're joking.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
PCs also famously limited in the same way as consoles are, totally locked down

It just dawned on me that I paid $800 for my PS5 via NewEgg back in 2021 or something.

Here I am thinking $700 is expensive for the Pro, lol.

I still have no use for it but I'll be tempted if the PSVR2 uses it to great effect. There's just not enough flat games for me to care about how it looks on the TV, shit already looks good. Native 90 or 120 for VR though? Yes please.

Sw0pDiller

The laters tweets for that digital foundry Guy playing re7rebirth has Some people turning sweaty allready. Ps5pro is going to let a whole lotta people eat crow.

DanielG165

$700 for the base PS5 Pro, not including tax.

$80 for the disk drive that you’ll most likely want/need, especially if you want to preserve your games.

$30 for for the stand that you’ll need if you want your new console to stand and receive proper airflow.

$70 for a game that you’ll want to play on your new PS5 Pro to hopefully take advantage of your new investment.

$15 for PSN extra (since that’s probably the best value of the tiers), if you then want to play online with your friends.

So… You’re roughly looking at $895 or more to have the full PS5 Pro experience, and that’s only in the US; other territories are getting gouged even harder.

If you’re a console fan, or a PS fan and just want the best of the best, then that’s perfectly fine; it’s your money. However, for not much more, or even less in some cases, you can absolutely have a PC that will give you similar performance to a PS5 Pro, allow you to do significantly more on it by virtue of it being a PC, and will last considerably longer, and give you more flexibility.

And, I know what some people may counter with: why complain about the Pro’s price when people buy $900-$1100 iPhones and Samsung Galaxies every year? Well, your phone sees significantly more use than a console, it’s important to your personal life, your work life, and stays with you near 24/7. It’ll eventually pay for itself over time.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Does this 3000$ machine play PS5 exclusives Day One?

John Candy No GIF by Laff

That's fine, though. I play pretty much only on PC. Since the start of this gen, the only day 1 games for me are 3rd party. It's been almost 10 years since a console game released that I absolutely had to play and that was Bloodborne.

bundylove

Alright, the Pro is coming out on November 7th 2024 I believe. We have until November 7th 2025. I also quoted $850 US, but to be honest, given that the PS5 Pro's CPU will be an antique by late 2025, an entry-level CPU might be able to match it. $850 and I can exceed the Pro's performance with a PC. $700 by the end of next year might also be possible, but no guarantee. It should come within 10% though.

Coming from a guy who made it big, you're seriously telling me not to tell people to be smart with their money? Really? They should just spend frivolously and not do their research despite having limited funds? They shouldn't think and find the best their money can buy? I hope you're joking.
I am a man of my word and accept the bet.

As far as being smart with money, yes you should but most of the time you cant.
When i say for most a 700 dollar console is luxury and thats the most they can afford then we have to accept that and dont make them feel bad about it.
Its not their fault. And those people wont have money for any high end pc.
And then there is life and family. If you are a family man, you will buy something everyone can use. You your kids friends etc. They want the family experience.
I just played astrobot all weeken3d with my daughter and it was a blast. Not just the game but the bonding and fun i had with her.
This is huge for me and surely for others as well.

I understand single guys or youth are all about ego trip and want the best and shitnon all the small guys who end up with consoles. I get it. But you will never change them so support them instead.

Life is hard . Food prices are insane, energy cost, gas is insane, insurance is insane , property tax is a big fuck you and so on and so on.

Other than the small group of people here who are hardcore, noone will invest in high end pc in todays economy.

So for those people yes the pro is a good value for an upgrade.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I am impressed by people telling us how much money they spend. It gives me comfort that Sony has done the right thing in regard to PS5 Pro pricing.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
why complain about the Pro’s price when people buy $900-$1100 iPhones and Samsung Galaxies every year? Well, your phone sees significantly more use than a console, it’s important to your personal life, your work life, and stays with you near 24/7.
Can't some of the cheapest smartphone be enough? Why it has to be the $900-$1100 ones?

MacReady13

There are many benefits to PC gaming vs Console gaming. But as an entry level into higher end gaming, PS5 Pro is a reasonable price. Which is correct.
Now that the dust has settled, I'm actually coming around to this thinking as well. I paid almost $4000.00 for my 4070 ti Super gaming PC (mouse and keyboard included in that price as well) to be able to play high quality products like Black Myth Wukong at 60 frames a second or higher. The fact I can buy a console for almost a quarter of that price to play these games at 60 frames a second is a pretty good deal.

SHA

When it comes to what the value something provides on a personal level, you can't.

Some people think I'm nuts to spend $500-$700 per tire for cars that I track. They're not car people or not as much an enthusiast as I am. Others are, hence the market for them. It provides me a value of adrenalin and joy that I will never ever get back monetarily. Literal burn 'em up and toss 'em.

Is this box expensive? Yes. Every piece of electronics has gone up in all industries (look at the price of iPhones now). Could you put an objective VALUE on that? No. The market will dictate that, and each person's individual perception of that value.
They want you to buy one thing and stick with it for the rest of the generation, there are multiple reasons actually.

SHA

At least we must get crazy specs on 10 gen like we've all been dreaming since forever.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I am a man of my word and accept the bet.
Good. We'll see in November 2025. To be honest, however, it really shouldn't be this long. The 8700 XT and 5060 will be good matches and they won't take a year to come to the market.
As far as being smart with money, yes you should but most of the time you cant.
When i say for most a 700 dollar console is luxury and thats the most they can afford then we have to accept that and dont make them feel bad about it.
Its not their fault. And those people wont have money for any high end pc.
And then there is life and family. If you are a family man, you will buy something everyone can use. You your kids friends etc. They want the family experience.
I just played astrobot all weeken3d with my daughter and it was a blast. Not just the game but the bonding and fun i had with her.
This is huge for me and surely for others as well.

I understand single guys or youth are all about ego trip and want the best and shitnon all the small guys who end up with consoles. I get it. But you will never change them so support them instead.

Life is hard . Food prices are insane, energy cost, gas is insane, insurance is insane , property tax is a big fuck you and so on and so on.

Other than the small group of people here who are hardcore, noone will invest in high end pc in todays economy.

So for those people yes the pro is a good value for an upgrade.
You got me wrong there, mate. I will buy a PS5 Pro, which I have been following closely for over a year now. What I took issue with is the builds you posted that easily outdo a PS5 Pro. If you're going to spend over a grand on anything and are of relatively normal income, it is paramount that you know what you're getting. For $700, I'd tell most people who only want to play the latest games to simply get a PS5, maybe not even a Pro.

Also, I think the Pro is a much poorer value compared to the PS5 when it was first released. I don't think it's a good idea to just ignore what Sony is doing because it could be worse and is worse on the PC side.

JaksGhost

$700 for the base PS5 Pro, not including tax.

$80 for the disk drive that you’ll most likely want/need, especially if you want to preserve your games.

$30 for for the stand that you’ll need if you want your new console to stand and receive proper airflow.

$70 for a game that you’ll want to play on your new PS5 Pro to hopefully take advantage of your new investment.

$15 for PSN extra (since that’s probably the best value of the tiers), if you then want to play online with your friends.

So… You’re roughly looking at $895 or more to have the full PS5 Pro experience, and that’s only in the US; other territories are getting gouged even harder.

If you’re a console fan, or a PS fan and just want the best of the best, then that’s perfectly fine; it’s your money. However, for not much more, or even less in some cases, you can absolutely have a PC that will give you similar performance to a PS5 Pro, allow you to do significantly more on it by virtue of it being a PC, and will last considerably longer, and give you more flexibility.

And, I know what some people may counter with: why complain about the Pro’s price when people buy $900-$1100 iPhones and Samsung Galaxies every year? Well, your phone sees significantly more use than a console, it’s important to your personal life, your work life, and stays with you near 24/7. It’ll eventually pay for itself over time.
Enthusiasts that will purchase the PS5 Pro more than likely own a PS5 that they will probably trade-in/sell to offset a good half of the price here. Gamestop is currenlty offering $410 to trade in a base model PS5. I also already have a library of digital games so I don't need the disk drive and the stand is purely for visual at this point since I've had my original PS5 in both positions without having encourting any airflow issues. Oh and I get to take my 2TB SSD with me as well. This is exactly what I did when I upgraded to the PS4 Pro.

There is value for those that have jobs/interests that center around needing a PC, but most companies and schools are issuing laptops, tablets, and chromebooks to complete needed work.

bundylove

Good. We'll see in November 2025. To be honest, however, it really shouldn't be this long. The 8700 XT and 5060 will be good matches and they won't take a year to come to the market.

You got me wrong there, mate. I will buy a PS5 Pro, which I have been following closely for over a year now. What I took issue with is the builds you posted that easily outdo a PS5 Pro. If you're going to spend over a grand on anything and are of relatively normal income, it is paramount that you know what you're getting. For $700, I'd tell most people who only want to play the latest games to simply get a PS5, maybe not even a Pro.

Also, I think the Pro is a much poorer value compared to the PS5 when it was first released. I don't think it's a good idea to just ignore what Sony is doing because it could be worse and is worse on the PC side.
CLosest i could find. This logic would only work if we can shiw rigjt now a pc that is comparable to the base ps5 fot same price. Maybe we should start there as its been 4 years. But brand new and not built with used parts.
MQzbs8M.jpeg

Top Bottom