• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

I know it's looking like a copyright mishap with the YJ hiatus, but this is a long time coming considering CN's constant incompetence over the last few years. I can't help but laugh at the inevitable possibility of them losing Clone Wars, a show they put on a high pedestal above their other great shows, to Disney. I wonder if they're going to have it go through the same thing as Super Hero Squad just to childishly spite it (probably not now, but when Disney starts adding Star Wars-based stuff to their schedule...).

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I know it's looking like a copyright mishap with the YJ hiatus, but this is a long time coming considering CN's constant incompetence over the last few years. I can't help but laugh at the inevitable possibility of them losing Clone Wars, a show they put on a high pedestal above their other great shows, to Disney. I wonder if they're going to have it go through the same thing as Super Hero Squad just to childishly spite it (probably not now, but when Disney starts adding Star Wars-based stuff to their schedule...).

How long are they contracted for with clone wars?

Let me repeat THERE IS NO COPYRIGHT MISHAP WITH YOUNG JUSTICE. Please stop listening to Rich Johnston and Bleeding Cool.

Cwarrior

*sighhhh* I need something to watch to fill the void young justice, green lantern and rip avengers earths mightiest heroes as left.

young justice s2>>>Teen titans >>>>>>>>young justice s1

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
While we're on the subject of Clone Wars....

Eric Goldman said:
Star Wars TV: Disney XD Will Air Future Programming

The ramifications of Disney buying Lucasfilm are huge, starting first and foremost with the announcement of a new trilogy of films, beginning with Star Wars: Episode VII in 2015. But Star Wars of course exists in many mediums at this point, and has had a big home on TV of late with Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Today, during the conference call held in the wake of the announcement, Walt Disney Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger briefly touched upon Star Wars’ future in television. Disney of course acquired Marvel a few years back and has since put several Marvel animated series on Disney XD. Said Iger, “We intend to do more and create a strong Marvel block,” before adding, “We really like Star Wars‘ potential on TV as well and we think Disney XD will be a strong home for that.”

It should be noted that there is a new comedic Star Wars animated series, Seth Green and Matt Senreich’s Star Wars: Detours, that is already in production. No network had been announced yet for it, but this news makes it seem highly likely Disney XD could be the potential home for the series.

Of course fans of The Clone Wars will wonder what this deal means for that series. Star Wars: The Clone Wars airs on Cartoon Network, corporate sibling to Warner Bros. and DC Comics – making it unlikely that any future Star Wars series will ever air on that channel. But we’ve already heard that work was underway on a sixth season of The Clone Wars… It just remains to be seen if it will continue to air on the same channel or not, and how much longer it will go beyond that.

It's important to note that we doubt Iger was saying Star Wars TV programming could only air on Disney XD - especially given Disney also owns ABC. I'll be writing more about the potential for Star Wars on TV going forward later this week.

No reason there couldn't be. Hey kids, come check out these new action figures! Now with Booty Quaking Action!

i would buy that tbh LOL

Wait, what would they air there? KFP, Penguins, Dragons... and?

according to the article they got

Archie, Casper the Friendly Ghost, The Lone Ranger, Lassie, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Gumby, Underdog, Fat Albert, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Godzilla, He-Man, Dick Tracy, Frosty the Snowman, and Mr. Peabody & Sherman.

Some crazy amount of nostalgia in there imo

Did we know they were getting Young Justice toys at McDonald's soon? Seems like they might have scheduled this before the big random hiatus and they didn't change it. Now instead of being a cool thing to go along with the new episodes, they're a sad reminder of how much CN hates the show.

Cwarrior

Tron uprising

not bad at all

Thanks for got about that,as long as it's not new thundercats bad am fine.

on my watch list

Tron
finish off scooby doo inc
watch cg star wars cartoon (only seen the 2d one)
finish off batman beyond once and for all (only bruce tim cartoon i could never get into thanks to the lack of great villains and the beyond batman dude sux)

Did we know they were getting Young Justice toys at McDonald's soon? Seems like they might have scheduled this before the big random hiatus and they didn't change it. Now instead of being a cool thing to go along with the new episodes, they're a sad reminder of how much CN hates the show.
Again?

Cwarrior

Saying that he sux is bit much he wasn't bad he just sux when put next to characters like Bruce & Alfred and the villains were good but just not as good as joker,mr freeze & clayface.

Kinda of like solid snake being replaced with raiden just not anywhere near as drastically bad.

Saying that he sux is bit much he wasn't bad he just sux when put next to characters like Bruce & Alfred and the villains were good but just not as good as joker,mr freeze & clayface.

This is particularly noticeable when characters from "present era" DCAU pop up. Meltdown and The Call spring immediately to mind. The Call is one of my all-time DCAU faves...and Meltdown was such a horrible way to finally introduce Blight as a proper villain. Yeah let's put THAT guy in the same ep as future Mr. Freeze, our greatest success. I'm sure he won't just look sad and dull by comparison! Great Freeze ep, of course.

Pre-Meltdown, Blight intrigued me, post-Meltdown he was just sad.

This is particularly noticeable when characters from "present era" DCAU pop up. Meltdown and The Call spring immediately to mind. The Call is one of my all-time DCAU faves...and Meltdown was such a horrible way to finally introduce Blight as a proper villain. Yeah let's put THAT guy in the same ep as future Mr. Freeze, our greatest success. I'm sure he won't just look sad and dull by comparison! Great Freeze ep, of course.

Pre-Meltdown, Blight intrigued me, post-Meltdown he was just sad.

Thing is, and I say this as a lover of the entire DCAU, I think there were fewer mediocre-to-boring episodes of BB than there were of TAS. Granted, there were more episodes even in just the first seasons of TAS than BB as a whole, TAS is remembered more for its great highs and the many lows are forgotten to nostalgia.

That and BB was entirely the creation of Timm and the gang rather than being based off of mostly preexisting comic characters. It also gave us the fantastic ROTJ movie and some INCREDIBLE JLU episodes.

Kinda of like solid snake being replaced with raiden just not anywhere near as drastically bad.

not surprising given they have to compete with the bold, hell Joker showed how it was done with the movie.

could say the same with Terry vs Bruce, but i will give Terry props since he became nightwing like in not pushing away everyone and having a sign of a healthy relationships.

Thing is, and I say this as a lover of the entire DCAU, I think there were fewer mediocre-to-boring episodes of BB than there were of TAS. Granted, there were more episodes even in just the first seasons of TAS than BB as a whole, TAS is remembered more for its great highs and the many lows are forgotten to nostalgia.

That and BB was entirely the creation of Timm and the gang rather than being based off of mostly preexisting comic characters. It also gave us the fantastic ROTJ movie and some INCREDIBLE JLU episodes.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big BB fan. I am doing a DCAU complete rewatch with my daughter and we just finished season one of Batman Beyond (going to alternate with Justice League, which is the only one she had already seen). It was even better than I remembered! I didn't have the best memories of Terry but I like him a lot more this time around...maybe it was the JLU eps, dunno, but for whatever reason the rapport with Bruce doesn't feel quite so forced. And I've always liked quite a few BB villains...Spellbinder, Inque and Curare are all great characters with interesting power sets and backgrounds (and I'm a sucker for sonic characters, so Shriek's on my list as well). They just don't have the same depth as Mr. Freeze or the Joker, and the contrast is stark when those villains pop up.

It isn't their fault, really. What Timm, Dini, etc. did with the Batman's villains - and, to some degree, Superman's - that was so special was only possible with long-established villains. They boiled nearly every villain (the Joker, Darkseid and Lex are probably the only major exceptions) down to its central themes and exaggerated them with exceptional cinematic flair. This wouldn't have been possible if those characters hadn't been analyzed by countless creative minds over the course of decades. We see it in comics all the time: greater depth can be condensed into twenty-two pages once the audience that grew up loving its characters grow up and take the reins...and oftentimes the transition is so powerful it can draw in new audiences, particularly with a shift in format (as Batman: TAS did, and as the Marvel movies are doing right now). Batman: TAS never would have been possible without the works of Frank Miller or Tim Burton, just to name a couple of its greatest influences.

Batman Beyond didn't have any of those advantages, and as a result its villains were shallow by comparison. It's a crucial process in the development of any comic book character, regardless of format. Just think how amazing Inque could be if she :cough: didn't have the personality of a 2x4? The foundations are there for a number of great characters. It's a shame there aren't more opportunities to explore them...to "find" them, really.

As for which series had the most bad/mediocre episodes...well, having just finished the first two and in the midst of the latter half, they all have their share, trust me. ;p The Fantastic Four parody is painful to watch...and the Justice League premiere wasn't nearrrrrly as good as I remembered. All of the new heroes were terrible...I had forgotten how long it took them to find their footing with JL.

Sorry for straying so far off-topic. I know every time this thread gets bumped I click and let out a forlorn sigh when it turns out to not be news of the show's fate.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair the reason those villains look lackluster is because they don't have legacy to back up.

With that said I really enjoyed Inque, Curare, Spellbinder, and Shriek. Maybe even the Powers father and son.

Thanks for got about that,as long as it's not new thundercats bad am fine.

on my watch list

Tron
finish off scooby doo inc
watch cg star wars cartoon (only seen the 2d one)
finish off batman beyond once and for all (only bruce tim cartoon i could never get into thanks to the lack of great villains and the beyond batman dude sux)

Add generator Rex to your watch list.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
*sighhhh* I need something to watch to fill the void young justice, green lantern and rip avengers earths mightiest heroes as left.

young justice s2>>>Teen titans >>>>>>>>young justice s1

whoa whoa whoa , Teen Titans was that show, im glad i stumbled onto it , I love YJ but its not THAT all time yet.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
This is hilarious.

'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' Likely to Leave Cartoon Network After This Season

When the animated spinoff ends its five-year run, Lucasfilm owner Disney is expected to move the show to its Disney XD network

The Clone Wars likely are coming to an end -- at least on Cartoon Network.

Lucasfilm’s spinoff TV version of Star Wars has been a solid performer on the Turner Entertainment-owned Cartoon Network for the past five years, but that run almost certainly will end after the current season in the wake of the deal for Disney to acquire George Lucas' company for $4.05 billion.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Turner, a division of Time Warner, has the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars only through the end of the 2012-13 season. Each year it has renewed its deal with Lucasfilm, and reps for both companies say they will make a decision on continuing the show around the end of the season.

In reality, Disney is very likely to move Clone Wars to one of its own networks, most likely Disney XD, an advertiser-supported cable TV channel targeted at boys. In a conference call Wednesday after the sale of Lucasfilm was announced, Disney CEO Robert Iger said he sees big possibilities for Star Wars content on the Disney/ABC owned TV channels. He particularly cited Disney XD as a perfect home for a Star Wars show, though he stopped short of mentioning Clone Wars.

Clone Wars has been one of the highest-rated shows on Cartoon Network, even with a move to Saturday mornings this season. For the month of October, The Clone Wars ranked No. 1 in its time period among boys 9-14 and posted double-digit gains across kids and boys vs. last year -- kids 2-11 grew by 46 percent, kids 6-11 by 34 percent, kids 9-14 by 64 percent, boys 2-11 by 45 percent, boys 6-11 by 36 percent and boys 9-14 by 72 percent, according to a Turner spokesperson.

At times, Clone Wars also has aired on Turner’s TNT network and Adult Swim. Cartoon Network retains some rerun rights to about 100 episodes that have aired over five seasons, but it is unclear for how long. A source at Turner could only confirm the network has the right to keep running episodes at least through 2013. The CG-animated series of 22-minute episodes is created by Lucasfilm Animation and produced by Lucasfilm Animation Singapore and CGCG Inc., the largest animation studio based in Taiwan.

Clone Wars debuted on Cartoon Network in October 2008 after being launched in August 2008 as an animated feature, which played in theaters briefly. The movie got mostly negative reviews but still grossed about $68 million worldwide (about $35 million in North America). There also are Clone Wars novelizations, video games and toys from Lego and Hasbro and other tie-ins.

The Clone Wars series takes place in the same time period as the Star Wars movies Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005), the most recent feature release. Cartoon Network’s sister company Warner Bros. distributed the Clone Wars movie in 2008 and has been selling past episodes of Clone Wars on DVD and Blu-ray discs. That is another deal that is likely to move in the future to Disney for home video distribution.
You reap what you sow.

Said it all along brahs, do not understand how you don't push your own properties and let some cunts at CN decide your fate. Jim Lee would beat the shit out of these guys if he saw them all the streets.

Silkworm

This was plain as day the moment we heard Disney bought Lucas. LOL

Because that channel has the audience the series needs to continue being sucessful

Man now Disney XD has Clone Wars, Tron: Uprising, Motorcity, Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja, Ultimate Spiderman, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.. not bad, not bad at all.

Hopefully Cartoon Network will add to their DC Nation block in response.

it fits the demographic. Clone wars would be wasted on disney channel.

I understand that now Disney XD has that demographic but I would think putting the Marvel stuff on that channel would also have been a mistake. had they put Avengers & Spiderman on basic Disney it would have been even more successful.
To me that just seems like CN airing something like Mystery Incorporated strictly on a channel like Boomerang.
Guess im mistaken.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I hope whichever asshole at CN decided to fuck with Young Justice is soiling himself as we speak.

I hope whichever asshole at CN decided to fuck with Young Justice is soiling himself as we speak.
I wish he was, but probably isn't. I've been searching and contacting various people from CN and TW but no response back. If these brahs were serious about wrecking Disney and making money they would hire me on the spot.

Ezduo

Banned
Move Clone Wars to XD huh? I wonder how much of a tolerance for violence they have over there. I'd hate to see Clone Wars get neutered.

Khezu

Move Clone Wars to XD huh? I wonder how much of a tolerance for violence they have over there. I'd hate to see Clone Wars get neutered.

Probably a good chance, I think CW got away with a lot of stuff because of Lucas.

Also what's the budget on CW? I don't watch it much, but what I have seen, it seems very high quality and polished, which I would guess is pretty expensive. It would suck if the budget got slashed, especially if there aiming to put it on there B tier network.

Probably a good chance, I think CW got away with a lot of stuff because of Lucas.

Also what's the budget on CW? I don't watch it much, but what I have seen, it seems very high quality and polished, which I would guess is pretty expensive. It would suck if the budget got slashed, especially if there aiming to put it on there B tier network.
Disney is in the process of moving XDF to top tier. Disney is for girls, always has been. That's why they are using all this shit because they can't use their own ideas. Budget will not be slashed.

And no brah, XD does not beat out DC Nation ratings wise.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I went back and watched some old episodes and I realise I have to get into reading some Doctor Fate comics now.

abundant

This doesn't sound good since Boomerang to me is more of a dumping ground now for stuff no longer needed on CN, than its initial purpose of remembering the "classics".

Seriously CN, Boomerang? I'm not going to expect much at all. The show is most likely gone.

Yeah this sounds like a bad omen.

Just so you know, the new Ben 10 series is also airing on Boomerang, so it could be that CN is just airing more modern shows on Boomerang.

Top Bottom