• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Hey guys.

I'm as bummed as anyone, but didn't Superman TAS just get 3 seasons, and original Justice League just two, and Justice League: Unlimited just two, and Legion of Super Heroes just two, and Brave and the Bold just three...

...not sure what the set of expectations were. Just sayin'.

It really wasn't.

The shorts are alright. The wacky, wannabe-anime hijinks work quite well for the format imo. I just don't see it working as well for a full 30 minute (split into two segments) show. SBFF would've been SOOO much better.

It was amazing. I'm really starting to think you guys just watched the first season or something. Later on it has a darker tone like what YJ was doing.
Hey guys.

I'm as bummed as anyone, but didn't Superman TAS just get 3 seasons, and original Justice League just two, and Justice League: Unlimited just two, and Legion of Super Heroes just two, and Brave and the Bold just three...

But from what I remember those shows weren't treated as badly as YJ.

Hey guys.

Superman aired every day as did BTAS, and JLA had an episode every week. the breaks (if any) were not long at all. and we got endings and wrap-ups to all the storylines.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Justice League had something like 50 episodes
Justice League Unlimited had 39

Neither were built on season long storylines like YJ. Which, to me, makes those shows feel like they went on alot longer.

Oh, and no where near the amount of breaks between episodes.

Epcott

Pssh, at this point, I wish someone at CW would pick this show up and have it air the same night as Arrow. At least maybe then it would get viewers.

EulaCapra

It was amazing. I'm really starting to think you guys just watched the first season or something. Later on it has a darker tone like what YJ was doing.
Don't worry, I'm in the Teen Titans love bandwagon. It's not a competition between the two shows anyway.
Even though we all know YJ has nothing on TT in character development and pacing.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

I really did enjoy the show. I don't think getting so dark really suited it, however.

It was Legion of Super Heroes that seemed to really take naturally to it's new, darker tone, just in time to be cancelled and never released on DVD...

But from what I remember those shows weren't treated as badly as YJ.

Superman aired every day as did BTAS, and JLA had an episode every week. the breaks (if any) were not long at all. and we got endings and wrap-ups to all the storylines.

Neither were built on season long storylines like YJ. Which, to me, makes those shows feel like they went on alot longer.

Oh, and no where near the amount of breaks between episodes.

Good point about the hiatuses (hiati?). I just remembered the show I mentioned above, Legion of Super Heroes, which also got the Cartoon Network short stick.

And of course, NONE of these series are getting a proper Blu-Ray release. DC Nation fans should be glad that GL came out in a full season format on DVD (but where's the BluRay?) and of course Young Justice fans are enjoying their first-half-of-first-season kiddie three-pack, and the inexplicable Part Two follow-up.

At least that's better for you than being a fan of:

Second Season of Legion of Super Heroes
Second Season of the Zeta Project
Virtually all of Static Shock

All this shit should be on Blu-Ray now, along with Batman: TAS, Superman, JL, all of it. It's money on the table. If you're just going to give us SD, so many people I know are just going to pirate. The picture quality of Blu-Ray is one of the built-in defenses against piracy.

Fucking WB shm... rip WB Premiere...

Mononofu

It really wasn't.

The shorts are alright. The wacky, wannabe-anime hijinks work quite well for the format imo. I just don't see it working as well for a full 30 minute (split into two segments) show. SBFF would've been SOOO much better.

For the love of God this. Don't get me wrong I love Teen Titans but to hell with some lazy comedic retread. YJ and GLTAS should be given a chance to complete satisfying stories before being swept away in favor of more marketable programming.

Jintor

Woah woah woah. the Cadmus arc for two seasons of JLU is fantastic. It's not in every episode but it's reinforced throughout the seasons nonetheless.

Lonestar

Woah woah woah. the Cadmus arc for two seasons of JLU is fantastic. It's not in every episode but it's reinforced throughout the seasons nonetheless.

has it been as up front as the ongoing saga against The Light!

Jintor

It was a lot more subtle.

YJ is very "HEY GUYS, THERE'S AN EVIL VILLIAN SUPERGROUP BEHIND THIS SHIT" and every episode ends with THE LIGHT ACTUALLY WON THAT ROUND ANYWAY. JLU set up a constant arc about the fear of unilateral superheroic powers, a Department of Defence black ops unit designed around containing defeated supervillains (and using them, incidentally, as government strike-forces) but it never out and out revealed its hand until the final four episodes or so.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

YJ is very "HEY GUYS, THERE'S AN EVIL VILLIAN SUPERGROUP BEHIND THIS SHIT" and every episode ends with THE LIGHT ACTUALLY WON THAT ROUND ANYWAY. JLU set up a constant arc about the fear of unilateral superheroic powers, a Department of Defence black ops unit designed around containing defeated supervillains (and using them, incidentally, as government strike-forces) but it never out and out revealed its hand until the final four episodes or so.

The ending was kind of a cop-out in a JRPG sort of "BUT THIS IS THE REAL FINAL BOSS" way, but it was executed so well that nobody cared.

Cwarrior

IF YJ had been cancelled in Season 1 I wouldn't have really cared, it's that when it becomes really frigin Awesome with season 2 do they decide to kill it :(

Season 2 was too good for this world, along with Avengers earths mightiest heroes.

Hope we get New real TT.

Ponn

Banned

Yes that was so brilliant and only possible with a consistent schedule and reassurance of episode count.

I was so worried coming off JL into JLU and losing the two episode format for fleshed out stories. When I realized what they were doing with JLU it was a holy shit moment.

Lonestar

While I liked Justice League, for featuring the main heroes of DC, I appreciate the story building of the smaller/unused heroes and villains in YJ. I like the group dynamics of YJ, as it's usually the same grouping (though changed when Season 2 started). I'm also more a fan of the long story, which YJ is doing (though The Light stuff in Season 1 was annoying).

But mostly, I just want any DC show on, specifically a "serious" version like YJ/JL/JLU. TT of old was too "light/fluffy" and I just don't like the look of that Green Lantern show (the meh looking CG).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
JLU season 1 was JL season 3, not season 4.

I thought JL Season 2 and all of JLU were solid. The only stinker was JL season 1.

Oh right, I thought JL has 3 lol

To be fair JL 1 was just finding their sweetspot. Also Supes looks really old.

Anyway, I really hope YJ doesn't get a surprise can. And with all these news I fear for GL. :(

Cwarrior

JLU was amazing am not sure what sort of monster put stop to that, it would be dream come true to see that resurrected.

All of justice league is awesome, jlu is lot more awesomer.

Now lets hate on that meh superman Tas how mehh was that.

Imbarkus

Wait, LoSH got dark?

Sure. Season 2, the whole Superman X/Imperiex arc, which of course concluded with the return of Brainiac 1 in a rather dark set of episodes.

It was good work, Cartoon Network buried it, snuck the last season out while bitching that no one watched it. It's never been released in any form.

At least all of Season 2 of Young Justice seems to stand a good chance of being released...

The Batman was a good show too brahs. Come at me.

Naw I'm with you man. Only a few things really bugged me (Mr. Freeze). Overall, good times.

Jintor

The Batman was okay. Putting Barbara in first instead of Robin was actually inspired and they dealt with it really well - kind of like having Spoiler in continuity. Still will never match BTAS though.

Imbarkus

The Batman was okay. Putting Barbara in first instead of Robin was actually inspired and they dealt with it really well - kind of like having Spoiler in continuity. Still will never match BTAS though.

Funny how that was just the result of what characters were available due to licensing. The end of Teen Titans meant the beginning of Robin in The Batman.

It's really kind of fucked up when you think about it, like how this whole Milestone/DC thing is probably the source of this whole delay... so whole characters and scenes can be cut out of the shows?

Uh oh time for another internet underground.

losh_s2_cover2.jpg

Imbarkus

Heh I'm LTTP. Let's do it all over again whatever it was! :)

Jintor

The Bat-embargo was good for JLU as well, 'cos instead of just reusing (admittedly awesome) Batman villains all the time we got to pan out into the DCAU's massive stable of characters.

Imbarkus

I'm gonna postulate it also has something to do with Beware the Batman reaching into recent and more obscure DC villains.

But eh, what the fuck. I'm in.

They just need to get with the fucking times man. I purchase, at full price, upon release, the shit I love on Blu-Ray, by Season, with Extras, one and we're done. Put it out, and you'll sell it.

This piddly DVD three pack or even worse no-release bullshit from 10 years ago is embarassing. EMBARRASSING.

If the Marvel animated product weren't so uneven (never saw EMH) I'd cede the entire contest to them alone based on WILLINGNESS TO FUCKING RELEASE IN MODERN FORMATS.

Fire whomever it is who has had that job for 8+ years. Fire them. Do it.

Mononofu

Funny how that was just the result of what characters were available due to licensing. The end of Teen Titans meant the beginning of Robin in The Batman.

It's really kind of fucked up when you think about it, like how this whole Milestone/DC thing is probably the source of this whole delay... so whole characters and scenes can be cut out of the shows?

losh_s2_cover2.jpg

Debunked

ASK GREG said:
Yes, theories about any particular characters - all already approved - being the reason why DC Nation (i.e. both YJ and Green Lantern) were pulled are ridiculous.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=17514

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Hey guys.

if JLU got 2 then basically JL got 4 seasons, it was the revamp of JL's mediocre first outing, fixed up the show big time. It got good in JLU, the regular JL show only had a handful of good eps.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

losh_s2_cover2.jpg

i need to watch the rest of season 2 of the legion. but i bet it ends on a bad note.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK Greg so why don't you tell us why we're not WATCHING THE DAMN SHOW RIGHT NOW GODDAMNIT.

Imbarkus

Okay well not the first ridiculous theory on the internet I've repeated.

The question remains, why?

Hell, I'd have theorized it's just to allow for some cross-marketing with the DVD release of Part One of Season Two if it weren't so sudden that my DVR keep happily recording that Dragon whatever...

if JLU got 2 then basically JL got 4 seasons, it was the revamp of JL's mediocre first outing, fixed up the show big time. It got good in JLU, the regular JL show only had a handful of good eps.

I think it's better to count by number of episodes. JLU season two was a little bit "more of the same" and didn't reach the relevance "Season 1" did, but it only had like 11 or 12 eps to do it in. "Season 1" had 22. Meanwhile if you count by DVD realeases, The Batman had more seasons than Batman: TAS.

All part of the madness of the way Wanrer has released these series, which leads me to...

i need to watch the rest of season 2 of the legion. but i bet it ends on a bad note.

I really enjoyed it. The series needs a proper DVD release.

Mononofu

The season 2 finale of legion was good but I hated how they offed
Imperiex

Didn't know about season 3 being canned in favor of the 4Kids block :/

Imbarkus

The season 2 finale of legion was good but I hated how they offed
Imperiex
Yeah, I know what you mean
after him being the big bad all season it was anticlimactic. I did like how Superman X mourned his death because it robbed him of his purpose, though.

Things are getting desperate you guys. I already rewatched all my DC animated stuff, so I actually made it about 15 minutes into the first episode of Ultimate Spider-Man yesterday.

I don't think I'll watch any more of it, but you see how desperate the situation is getting...

I'm so sorry.

Damn, what IS it with Weisman's shows getting slammed like this? Oy vey.

...On that note, I'm nearly finished my third watch of Spectacular. So good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Seeing this thread bumped slightly gives me hope :(

I really hope fans still watch the show in January/

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
after him being the big bad all season it was anticlimactic. I did like how Superman X mourned his death because it robbed him of his purpose, though.

Things are getting desperate you guys. I already rewatched all my DC animated stuff, so I actually made it about 15 minutes into the first episode of Ultimate Spider-Man yesterday.

I don't think I'll watch any more of it, but you see how desperate the situation is getting...

the show is kinda.... you know, but the season finale was actually rather decent. minus the last minute or so. i hate loeb nova so much.

LowerLevel

Thanks to you all, I bought the "fun" pack as it was the only one available to me. I caught some Invasion on Demand... Figures another of my favorite shows get the crap treatment yet the real crap stays on the air. I swear it's a conspiracy against me!

Drake Bell being spiderman and garbage version of Nova? No fucking thanks

Top Bottom