• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
no laga'an? for shame

The toys look decent enough but it's lazy because they use the Justice League silhouettes at the logo lol

And it's the Happy Meal with boys/girls edition - the girls edition can opt for Strawberry Shortcake figures lol

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
I enjoy Young Justice a lot. But even the best of shows have issues, as we all know.

In theory, I enjoy the concept of The Light. But watching the end of this episode made me realize that there hasn't been a lot of interpersonal interaction between the main villains - that we've seen, obviously. I can only recall one other episode - the one where Aqualad and Red Arrow teamed up, where you saw some interaction of the sort I'm thinking of, and it was between Lex Luthor and Ra's Al Ghul. I enjoyed the Lex/Ra scene, just as I enjoyed the Lex/Savage scene; of course we've seen plotting before, but I do like how 'muted' those scenes were, for lack of a better word. I don't follow the comic book, so I'm curious: does the book expand or expound upon The Light in anyway?

I know there's been a lot of criticism of the whole "the villains win, even when they lose" bit; and I agree, to an extent, that there should be more definite wins by the good guys. But I guess if I were forming a super-villain group, I would have to take a few things into consideration:

1. I would have to acknowledge that, as smart and villainous as I think I am, there are indeed other bad guys that might actually be my equal, and I should deal with my fellow bad guys fairly, and not resort to the usual cliche double-crosses, power trips, etc.

2. I would have to acknowledge that the heroes are heroes for a reason; there good and talented at what they do, and they're powerful.

3. Acknowledging #2 means I have to rethink how I carry out my schemes, and what my goals are. I have to assume that 9 times out of 10, my plots will be foiled. So, my best options may only be misdirection, and budgeting for frequent losses.

I'm curious if, during this 5 year gap, The Light may have indeed suffered a setback or two.

In fact, I'm curious as to if we'll even get some clarity on what their endgame actually is, without the rushed explanation we got from Vandal at the end of season one. It seems odd that both Vandal, and Ra's Al Ghoul would be in favor of selling the planet out to aliens - "enabling an alien invasion" as Lex put it a few episodes back. That seems at odds with the philosophies of both men, unless I missed some characterization changes over the years.

I believe a dynamic in which the villains are smarter than the good guys, and may actually be right, can work (and if anyone knows of any books or movies that run with this idea, please suggest it). But I feel the show has fumbled a bit with the execution of this idea, if that's what they're even going for - we still just don't know.

In fact, I'm curious as to if we'll even get some clarity on what their endgame actually is, without the rushed explanation we got from Vandal at the end of season one. It seems odd that both Vandal, and Ra's Al Ghoul would be in favor of selling the planet out to aliens - "enabling an alien invasion" as Lex put it a few episodes back. That seems at odds with the philosophies of both men, unless I missed some characterization changes over the years.

They probably think that they have the upper hand, and can use the Reach's resources and then poach their spoils. They don't see how powerful the Reach are, and that they aren't willing to share control when they do take over Earth.

EDIT: Clips and Screens! They're up early this week!

http://www.comicvine.com/news/young-justice-episode-39-the-fix-clips-and-images/145876/

Aasir Osu

Neo Member
They probably think that they have the upper hand, and can use the Reach's resources and then poach their spoils. They don't see how powerful the Reach are, and that they aren't willing to share control when they do take over Earth.

EDIT: Clips and Screens! They're up early this week!

http://www.comicvine.com/news/young-justice-episode-39-the-fix-clips-and-images/145876/

Well, that may be true; but if they were somehow able to make contact with The Reach initially, you would think they did their homework. I'm not familiar with The Reach from the comics, but I assume their relationship with groups like the Guardians of Oa is acrimonious. So, maybe The Light and The Reach see some commonality in that they technically have mutual enemies standing in the way of their goals - so, they use each other or work together in that regard. Still seems odd though, and I hope a full explanation of this angle is forthcoming.

MartyStu

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
1. Hey Artemis you wanna keep a tighter lid on what you're thinking about around a goddamn telepath?

2. Oh hey that interaction between MM and Green Beetle wasn't suspicous at all.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, Superboy, you have no recourse here since you knew of Miss Martian's mind crushing and yet you tried to hide it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, in a way I kinda pity LB. He was just introduced as a temporary "pillow" for Megann without developing his character.

Khezu

Happy to see more Artemis, sad to see more MM.

Deathstroke was pretty good in this, not Sportsmaster awesome, but better then most.

abundant

Pre time skip maybe.

You have to remember that there's only 3 original team members left, and of those 3, Nightwing is the only one who had proper training from his mentor. The rest of the team, baring MM, SB and maybe Bat Girl, have had less then 5 years of training and now they don't have the Justice League safety net to fall back on.

Mononofu

This show and GL:TAS are too good for Cartoon Network (;_;)

Artemis in her role as Tigress f*cking A+

Deathstroke schooling Lagoon boy.

Dat commercial with G. Gordon Godfrey lol

Aqualad's mind being put back together again and Black Manta actually giving a damn about his son. Sportsmaster failed so hard with Artemis.

vazel

Banned
Black Manta was really good this episode. I have a newfound respect for the character.

No Amethyst shorts this week. ;_;

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Sorry lagaan. The only green one to clean deathstrokes clock was titans BB.

And the series should be called secrets the series. Because everyone has them. Nightwing holds out on Superboy, Superboy holds out on nightwing. Its pretty hilarious

Ducarmel

And the series should be called secrets the series. Because everyone has them. Nightwing holds out on Superboy, Superboy holds out on nightwing. Its pretty hilarious

It's stupid I hope Superboy and Miss Martian do not get away with it, I hated the way Superboy called out Nightwing as if they are equals and Nightwing just took it and said nothing. Makes it seem like just like in the last season everybody is going to reveal their secretes and say sorry and forget it like nothing happened.

Nightwing as leader does not need to tell his team shit about his plans or reasons behind them. Superboy and Miss Martian have broken the trust of the team before they don't deserve Nightwing having full confidence in them.

Deathstroke is da best and LOLOLOLOLOLOL @ Lagoon Boy

Nightwing as leader does not need to tell his team shit about his plans or reasons behind them. Superboy and Miss Martian have broken the trust of the team before they don't deserve Nightwing having full confidence in them.

I partly disagree but aside from that the ultimate failure imo is Nightwing's handling of this entire thing since he apparently left out the 2 people who could fuck up the plan for some reason (which one of them did) and he should know first hand that both of them have the possibility to (hell he was a victim of one).

Lets say he told them to basically fuck off and not tell them, why would you not fucking keep tabs on them just in case? This just reeks of poorly thought out shit and given his mentor its pretty shocking tbh.

Superboy was wrong as well so its not like he's scott free or anything so his moral highground talk was garbage as well

jwk94

Hey guys, what happened to Tim Drake? He was robin for like an episode and then he had a statue next to some more dead heroes. How'd he die?

Hey guys, what happened to Tim Drake? He was robin for like an episode and then he had a statue next to some more dead heroes. How'd he die?

thats not Tim, but the Robin before him called Jason Todd.

that character was infamous in the comics since he was killed
by Joker
and DC did it based on a poll where readers will call a number to choose if he should die or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Todd

I guess in this version of the timeline he joined during the 5 year skip and died

Ducarmel

I partly disagree but aside from that the ultimate failure imo is Nightwing's handling of this entire thing since he apparently left out the 2 people who could fuck up the either plan for some reason (which one of them did) and he should know first hand how both of them have the possibility to (hell he was a victim of one).

Lets say he told them to basically fuck off and not tell them, why would you not fucking keep tabs on them just in case? This just reeks of poorly thought out shit and given his mentor its pretty shocking tbh.

Superboy was wrong as well so its not like he's scott free or anything so his moral highground talk was garbage as well

The point being is Superboy and Miss Martian did betray the team's trust before, Nightwing being a student of Batman (a man who is notoriously distrustful of others, even to the other founding member of the Justice League) he naturally would not trust those two with the plan and would trust his closest friends. He could of kept a closer eye on them, but he still would have not known or be able prevent Miss Martian shattering Aqualad's mind.

Khezu

Black Manta was really good this episode. I have a newfound respect for the character.

No Amethyst shorts this week. ;_;

I actually kinda feel bad for Black Manta, he's probably not going to take the news about his son being a dirty traitor very well.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The point being is Superboy and Miss Martian did betray the team's trust before, Nightwing being a student of Batman (a man who is notoriously distrustful of others, even to the other founding member of the Justice League) he naturally would not trust those two with the plan and would trust his closest friends. He could of kept a closer eye on them, but he still would have not known or be able prevent Miss Martian shattering Aqualad's mind.

Especially since he seemed to keep mgaans mind fuckery to himself. Twice. Superboy has no moral stand to take when it comes to secrets.

But yet Aretimis was in on it and she was in on a similar road last season.

He found out about all that stuff though and still kept it until she proved herself so i dont think he as instantly distrustful or wouldn't have known (if he did his investigations).

I'm just really surprised he didn't take some measures at least.

I actually kinda feel bad for Black Manta, he's probably not going to take the news about his son being a dirty traitor very well.

yea...

I guess we have to see.

Especially since he seemed to keep mgaans mind fuckery to himself. Twice. Superboy has no moral stand to take when it comes to secrets.

As i said what superboy did was garbage and seeing him taking the moral high ground was puck inducing

Top Bottom