• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Tizoc

Think we need to make a Young Justice is cancelled thread? People need a place to mourn....
No fuck that.
I'm sad this show is ending, but this morbidness is pointless.
Instead...why not just post what your experience and fav. moments from the series are?

Xiaoki

Young Justice is definitely one of the best cartoons in a while but Im not as sad to see it get cancelled because of the direction it has taken.

I liked the more light hearted first season of YJ when they were doing the small jobs for the JL and occasionally going to school.

Season 2 doesnt feel nearly as good. I can understand wanting to force the spotlight on the sidekicks but just dont like the way they went about it.

Also, if the rumored 40 year jump was going to be season 3 then I would have only watched the first couple episodes to see if it had Terry McGinnis.

I do wonder what the ultimate end of the whole Reach arc was going to be though. More time travel to reset or futuristic New Young Justice?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly yeah, I agree with that. They feel like rookies even after the time skip, what with the Light bullshit.

So how many episodes are left? I'm kind of disappointed because there's so much characters in need of development.

Arsenal just got introduced, How will he learn to work with the team. What about Speedy, will he be the one to put some sense on Arsenal's head.

Or Lagoon boy, he can't only be a punching bag. Will he raise and turn into a decent character like Superboy did?

I want some answers =(

Slayven

Feel this is relevant.

1163422-ulhlklj.jpg

Gartooth

Just double checking, but CN is still going to air the remaining episodes of YJ and GL right? (I think there is only 7 episodes left per shows)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This type of stuff just makes you want to stop checking for modern animated series. It seems like nearly all of them get the rug pulled out randomly. I really wish they just planned 2 or 3 season arcs with CONSISTENT scheduling and left it there. At least then you'd know what you were getting into and there'd be none of this "OH WELL SHOW'S CANCELED BECAUSE qiugbfoubq9wbfioqwbfi"

Ugh.

Just wanted to say this is where, even in this day and age, the anime industry often has it over American animation.

It's pretty much stock-standard to plan a 26 episode series with an arc from beginning to end, and a definite conclusion. Some shows do have hooks built in, so that if popular another 26 episode series can be produced.

Other shows are planned and purchased for a presumed 51 episode run. Again, there's a framework so as to not leave the story hanging. Though admittedly, some truly tanked shows do get cancelled before they finish.

American animation has gotten far better in the area of dramatic shows in recent years (Tron Uprising was downright amazing.) But things are still planned, and written, as if it is hoped the shows continue to get good ratings and run perpetually. Even when shows have arcs as is becoming common, the arcs don't reach full conclusion at the end of a season.

I don't know whose fault this is. Are the show runners and writers still oblivious to the strong probability their show won't make it? Does the network insist that the show remain completely open ended in order to hook the audience into coming back just in case the show is renewed?

All I know is that it's becoming a major turn-off. I've stopped watching American TV dramas (live action) because almost all of them will get canned after 1 season, and sometimes half a season. Especially because it's still very common in a post-Lost world to base the show's premise around a giant mystery and a long-form arc to try and hook the audience. Except the show is rarely successful and is killed off shortly.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-warner-bros-bring-back-young-justice-and-green-lantern-the-animated-series 7440 so far. Let's put a lot of numbers on this.

Like the Young Justice facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/YoungJusticeDC?group_id=0 90,178 likes is pretty good. Cartoon network is crazy.

Like the Green Lantern page: http://www.facebook.com/GreenLanternTheAnimatedSeries?group_id=0 Only 5,901 likes. We can do better.

Realize none of it will help, but let our voices cry out in harmonious despair. For apathy has defeated heroism, again.

SykoTech

^Signed. Certainly can't hurt.

Loeb has nothing to do with YJ. Why are people attacking him.

The thread shifted a bit from being strictly about Young Justice to being about recen cartoons in general (TMNT, Tron, Scooby Doo, Korra, GL, USM, Avengers, etc.).

And he is terrible.

Effect

If the lack of toys are an issue for shows like this why haven't networks/companies tried releasing the DVDs regularly (at a reasonable price/episode count) as an alternative. Include behind the scenes footage, artwork, and interviews. That would certainly make purchasing them as the show comes out worthwhile. Could that help with the profit margin for the shows if they don't want to produce toys? Or am I wrong in thinking there is no toyline? Would toy buying/wanting age kids be watching a show of this nature anyway?

Didn't the guy who did the Animation for Young Justice also do a lot of the animation for the last few DC animated movies?

I remember two of them being Justice League Doom and Crisis on Two Earths. I know he had a DeviantArt but I cannot seem to find it.....

I was hoping to see Cyborg in this show, and I'm sure he would have looked and been voiced the same as in Justice League Doom

Found it - http://philbourassa.deviantart.com/?rnrd=7885
young_justice__box_art_by_philbourassa-d5i5i7l.jpg

Crime_Syndicate_by_Phillybee.jpg

Sign the petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-warner-bros-bring-back-young-justice-and-green-lantern-the-animated-series 7440 so far. Let's put a lot of numbers on this.

Like the Young Justice facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/YoungJusticeDC?group_id=0 90,178 likes is pretty good. Cartoon network is crazy.

Like the Green Lantern page: http://www.facebook.com/GreenLanternTheAnimatedSeries?group_id=0 Only 5,901 likes. We can do better.

Realize none of it will help, but let our voices cry out in harmonious despair. For apathy has defeated heroism, again.
It's over brahs, just let it go. This show is never coming back. Go do something more productive and bombard Mattel on how they make shirty, overpriced toys and can't maintain a toy line. They need to go ducking under those cunts.

And I lived that brahs designs for the Crime Sndicate of Amerika.

It's over brahs, just let it go. This show is never coming back. Go do something more productive and bombard Mattel on how they make shirty, overpriced toys and can't maintain a toy line. They need to go ducking under those cunts.

They said the same about toonami. And its back, so I think fans should do what they think they need to do.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

yeah its been done and CN doesn't listen.

abundant

It's always about toys. Like I and others have said before, these types of shows live and die because of toys. That's why worrying about shows like TMNT and Beware the Batman is illogical.
No doubt. TMNT toys are flying off the shelves. I was only able to get them when they were first released. Shelves were barren in the weeks leading up to Christmas and only Toys R Us has a few in stock with the new wave of Oozers.

We'll see how the USM toys fair and what stores will carry them come March.

And all those brahs signing the petition, beat thing to do is put your money where your mouth is and by the Young Justice game that comes out next month.

And I haven't heard anything or seen glimpses of Beware the Batmans toy line. Probably be revealed at next months 's toy fair.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
If the lack of toys are an issue for shows like this why haven't networks/companies tried releasing the DVDs regularly (at a reasonable price/episode count) as an alternative. Include behind the scenes footage, artwork, and interviews. That would certainly make purchasing them as the show comes out worthwhile. Could that help with the profit margin for the shows if they don't want to produce toys? Or am I wrong in thinking there is no toyline? Would toy buying/wanting age kids be watching a show of this nature anyway?

253869_492745624097102_594180783_n.png

DC Animated has shown a basic misunderstanding that their materials do not really end up "for kids."

Ridiculous "3 Pack Fun!" releases for Young Justice, DVD-only, no Blu-Ray releases for Green Lantern. Adult DC fans have learned to forgo the early releases of a series as bullshit, 3 episode on a disk cash-ins with no extras.

They have fucked up their outlets of merchandise to us grown-up fans, and bemoan that their kiddie crap doesn't sell.

Boy I'm glad I'm not at the studio working on the Young Justice video game.

Ok bro I can dig it. I even went in knowing it was going to play out this way, telling myself that Legion of Super Heroes only got 2 seasons, that original Justice League only got 2 seasons, really, etc.

But what's it going to hurt you to take five minutes and add your name to the petition?

And all those brahs signing the petition, beat thing to do is put your money where your mouth is and by the Young Justice game that comes out next month.

Don't forget the DVD set that came out last week.

Dram

From 2010 interview with Bruce Timm - also no more female animated films
http://thinkmcflythink.squarespace.com/movie-news/2010/4/25/exclusive-interview-with-bruce-timm.html
Are there plans to do any more sequels for the recently released DC animated films?

We had originally planned to do sequels for Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, but Wonder Woman’s sales started out extremely slow and then over time were eventually able to catch up to probably Justice League Frontier. The Exec’s decided because it wasn’t able to sell quickly right away, where as Justice League was, that there wouldn’t be any more female super hero films right now. We were developing and hoping to get started on a batgirl film based on Year One, but because of Wonder Woman’s slow sales start, that won’t be happening now.

With Green Lantern, it didn’t perform nearly as well as what they had hoped it would. In the long run it eventually made its money back, but the sales weren’t there right away during its release. Hopefully with the release of the Live Action film next year, that will open up the doors for more Green Lantern relate material.

Are there any current plans for an ‘Aqua man’ animated film?

No. We did developed an Aqua man script for a direct to video movie. Marketing decided it wasn’t going to be profitable enough to release.

EulaCapra

Ah... I couldn't remember the stupid reason why there weren't more Wonder Woman features since just checking the Wiki its sales surpass some of the other features by a good margin. Stupid, stupid reason, and I hope this oversaturation cycle of Batman/Superman/Justice League features and then Batman and Superman again comes to halt. How many goddamn Batman or Superman animated stories do we really need? Jesus.

And to get back to Young Justice and Green Lantern... where can I send my poop in the mail to deliver to the people behind these decisions?

abundant

Well now what am I supposed to watch!?

Is there any other super hero cartoons on air right now? Im not really in the loop!

TMNT on Nick. Besides that, nothing until the fall when Beware the Batman and Avengers Assemble debut.

If you haven't already, watch The Dark Night Returns two parter (movie) that just came out.

TMNT on Nick. Besides that, nothing until the fall when Beware the Batman and Avengers Assemble debut.

If you haven't already, watch The Dark Night Returns two parter (movie) that just came out.

Thats it? No xmen stuff? or Spiderman stuff? No Batman shows on ?

It must suck being a kid these days, at least they have TMNT ! I forgot there was a show to go with the new toys Ive seen, I will check it out, and the Dark Night (Knight?) Returns stuff.

Thanks!

Xiaoki

Thats it? No xmen stuff? or Spiderman stuff? No Batman shows on ?

It must suck being a kid these days, at least they have TMNT ! I forgot there was a show to go with the new toys Ive seen, I will check it out, and the Dark Night (Knight?) Returns stuff.

Thanks!

Ultimate Spider-man season 2 started a couple weeks ago.

Next episode is Kraven.

Ultimate Spider-man season 2 started a couple weeks ago.

Next episode is Kraven.

I happen to like Spudir Mun quite a lot, so I will check this out as well! Thanks guys for filling the void!

No Nightwing in any of this stuff though :'( Nightwing needs his own show.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
253869_492745624097102_594180783_n.png

DC Animated has shown a basic misunderstanding that their materials do not really end up "for kids."

Ridiculous "3 Pack Fun!" releases for Young Justice, DVD-only, no Blu-Ray releases for Green Lantern. Adult DC fans have learned to forgo the early releases of a series as bullshit, 3 episode on a disk cash-ins with no extras.

They have fucked up their outlets of merchandise to us grown-up fans, and bemoan that their kiddie crap doesn't sell.

Boy I'm glad I'm not at the studio working on the Young Justice video game.

Wait, wait, wait...

They sell YJ and GL DVD similarly to how Nick sells Spongebob and Dora DVDs (3-in-1 disc)? WTF

Imbarkus

yeah it's fucking madness. why wold any ten year old or 25-35 year old buy that?

It's a fucking joke. We're all trained to ignore those releases because we know they've been trying to rip off kids with them by putting them out before the proper "Season" releases. Only in this case it was the only release.

Don't even get me started on WB home video. Justice League Season 1 non-anamorphic widescreen debacle. One season of Zeta Project, which only had two seasons. One season of Legion of Super Heroes, which also had just two seasons. One extra-kiddy release season of Static Shock, which had six seasons. And so far, except for the movies, just one Blu-Ray release in the batch: Season 1 Justice League.

Squandered opportunities left and right. Complete misunderstanding of their audience. Even the Season Two: Part One of Young Justice I just bought had an added sticker on it declaring "Over three hours of cartoon fun!"

WHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! CARTOON FUN!

Top Bottom