• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Maybe the Young Justice version of Mongul is based on the Bronze Age power levels, rather than the modern version? Bronze Age Mongul could mop the floor with Superman, forcing him to disrupt Mongul's plans rather than face him directly. Modern Age Mongul is substantially weaker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongul

During the Bronze Age of Comic Books Mongul was written as physically more powerful than Superman and as almost totally invulnerable to harm.[5][6] While the character was defeated only by Superman foiling his schemes, the hero managed once to defeat Mongul in hand-to-hand combat, although fell unconscious immediately after that.[6] In addition, Mongul demonstrated the ability to teleport;[5] limited telepathy;[6] and could project blasts of potent force via his eyes [4] or hands.[5] The character also used technology to shrink his enemies and place them in dimensional-inversion cubes, designed to prevent escape by warping their interior reality and absorbing any power used against them from within.[6]

The Modern Age version of Mongul is significantly reduced in power, having neither the abilities described above nor the cube technology, and can only project energy blasts via an amulet attached to his torso. He is also no longer a physical match for Superman, as Superman was able to defeat him in their first fight despite being weakened by lack of regular yellow sun rays.

Cwarrior

Young justice s02e15 "WAR'"

Baahhahahaha this episode was awesome, betrayal-aton someone needs to gif Blue decking impulse on the back of his head.

2ns25vs.gif

Yeah why is SuperBoy so weak?
And Wondergirl too.

Everyone's mongul's bitch he beat wonder woman(wondergirls mentor) and Superman(superboy's daddy) badly in justice league unlimted but he really made super boy his bitch this time.

Eh, Teen Titans wasn't bad as people say, it had it's moments. Plus liked the characters more than the one's in Young Justice. The Teen Titans formula was perfected in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which happens to be better than Young Justice so far. Some of the Teen Titans crew went on to make the new TMNT show. Not sure if the new Teen Titans GO! show will be good though.

I loved Teen titans am also am really enjoying the new Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles, I suspected it may share staff with Titans since the type of humor is very similar(also share some of the same voices actors) they are better then young justice season 1 but season 2 lol now way not even close.

Young justice S2 >TT >Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles >Young justice S1

Anyways it's pretty simple what the lights plan is, there using the reach to advance the meta gen and make them a super human soldiers.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Everyone's mongul's bitch he beat wonder woman(wondergirls mentor) and Superman(superboy's daddy) badly in justice league unlimted but he really made super boy his bitch this time.

Erm what? Superman was owning Mongul until he saw his parents' statue, and even then Superman owned Mongul back in his planet.

Young justice S2 >TT >Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles >Young justice S1

lolwut, YJ S1 is leaps better than YJ S2 because it has focus.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nah YJ S1 was pretty bland. The whole "mole" thing was just dumb.

BB's betrayal in the latest ep alone puts S2 above S1. S2 feels completely different from any other show, especially the storyline. S1 was too much of the "we're a team and we gotta work together!" BS we've seen a million times.

I might be slightly biased since I freaked out over Nightwing and Tim Drake being in S2.

Cwarrior

lolwut, YJ S1 is leaps better than YJ S2 because it has focus.

Looks like s2 got to complex for you with multiple plot threads, s1 was a lot more simpler thanks to lower quality writing and wrapping every episode the same way with the good guys getting a BS win with the light going back to their secret meeting declaring victory despite having done nothing but get there asses kicked.

Seems quite a few people have forgotten s1 and some of the dumb writing that took place.

-deus ex machina dr fate helmet it was used 4 fucken times as a dumb free get out of jail free card for the team and the writers

- retarded shit like robin is the chosen one destined to be the leader of the team but aqua lad is a temp leader for the mean time,just stupid logic.

-anti-climatic main plot getting resolved off screen, the whole main series plot point with Megan being a white martian, hiding it then being black mailed was resolved with Superboy saying he already knew(randomly happen offscreen).

-Vandel Savage the lights leader big plan for the season finale was to make a hybrid ancient alien fused with nano machines and magic control device to take control of the heroes but that was reversed engineered in seconds off screen by some random off screen character,what a lame season finally and plan that was by the light.

-characters I.Q randomly dropping to near 0 for plot purposes

Artemis goes all herpa derp and storms out, when she finds out megan and superboy are an item randomly despite having seen them be together for a long time now, right in front of her face.

When aqua lad keeping the rumor about there being a mole on the team by an untrustworthy source Sportsmaster to himself while he tries to figure out if it's ture or not, once the team finds out they throw a bitch fit like idiots towards aqua lad.

All season 1 managed to do is,be more simpler and less ambitious then season 2 by virtue of having poor quality writing.

People who find season 2 confusing and prefer the dumber writing of season 1 more are the reason why networks hate shows with overarching story's and multiple plot threads and why there's people like Jeph Loeb in high positions to cancel them like he did avengers earths mightiest heroes in-favor of more dumber episodic stuff like new dumber/simpler avengers and ultimate spiderman.

s2 is not confusing. It was just fucking slow as fuck at one point, there's a difference. It's picking up now anyway.

Also Superboy isn't underpowered, he's just up against big players and he did well against Black Adam in s1. It took the whole jlu to take down despero at one time, Mongul isn't a slouch either he finished wonder woman. Fate, Marvel or Cpt. Atom could slump him but this show isn't about them.

Dali

Looks like s2 got to complex for you with multiple plot threads, s1 was a lot more simpler thanks to lower qualilty writing and wraping every episode the same way with the good guys get a bs win with the light going back to there secert meeting declaring victory dispite having done nothing but get there ass kicked.

Seems quite few people have forgoten s1 and some of the dumb writing that took place.

-deus ex machina dr fate helmet it was used 4 fucken times as a dumb free get out of jail free card for the team and the writers

- retarded shit like robin is the one destined to be the leader but aqua lad is temp leader for the mean time,just stupid.

-anti-clamatic main plot getting resolved off screen, the whole main serise plot point with megan being a white martian, hiding it then being black mailed was resolved with superboy saying he already knew(randomly happen offscreen).

-vandel savag the lights leader big plan for the season finale was to make a hybrid ancient alien fused with nanomachines and magic control device to take control of the heroes but that was reversed enginerd in seconds off screen by some random off screen character,what a lame season finaly and plan by the light.

-characters I.q randomly dropping to 0 for plot purposes

Artemis goes all herpa derp and storms out, when she finds out megan and superboy are an item randomly despite having seen them be together for a long time now in front of her face.

When aqua lad keeped the rumour about there being a mole on the team by an untrust worthy source sportsmaster to himself while he tries to figure out if it's ture or not, once the team finds out they throw a bitch fit like idiots towards aqua lad.

All season managed to do is,be more simpler and less ambitious then season 2 by virtue of having poor qualitly writing.

People who find seaons 2 confusing and prefere the dumber writing of season 1 more are the reason why networks hate shows with overarching storys and plot threads and why theres people like joe loeb in high postitons to cancel them like he did avengers earths mightiest heroes infavor of more dumber episodic stuff like ultimater spiderman and new dumber/simpler avengers.
The one common thread there is all the different character names you're listing. S2 just falls short on that front. I don't like the BB focus. I don't know who these new people [teammates] are, but they're doing stuff: Stuff I could care less about because they haven't really put much into developing the new people. The group is in shambles. No one seems to have much development outside of BB. Locales are lame. No variety in villains and what we have is a bunch of lame BB clones which they've already faced off against twice!

Say what you will about S1, but it explored each of the characters, showed a great deal of interaction between them and had a lot of variety.

Cwarrior

How else is a team of 15-16 year olds supposed to beat some of earths strongest villians ?

The trick is don't be stupid enough to write yourself into a corner 4 bloody times and have to resort to the same cheap trick 4 times.

If you have to put them up against heavy hitters then have the team use there heads, come up with plans to out smart the villains, make the best use of each members unique ability and collective ability to overcome obstacles through team work not stupid deus ex machina.

Now you reminded me of the worst Joker ever from Season 1, Some times your better off not using big names.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks like s2 got to complex for you with multiple plot threads, s1 was a lot more simpler thanks to lower quality writing and wrapping every episode the same way with the good guys getting a BS win with the light going back to there secret meeting declaring victory despite having done nothing but get there asses kicked.

Seems quite few people have forgotten s1 and some of the dumb writing that took place.

- retarded shit like robin is the chosen one destined to be the leader of the team but aqua lad is a temp leader for the mean time,just stupid logic.

-anti-climatic main plot getting resolved off screen, the whole main series plot point with Megan being a white martian, hiding it then being black mailed was resolved with Superboy saying he already knew(randomly happen offscreen).

-Vandel Savage the lights leader big plan for the season finale was to make a hybrid ancient alien fused with nano machines and magic control device to take control of the heroes but that was reversed engineered in seconds off screen by some random off screen character,what a lame season finally and plan that was by the light.

Artemis goes all herpa derp and storms out, when she finds out megan and superboy are an item randomly despite having seen them be together for a long time now, right in front of her face.

When aqua lad keeping the rumor about there being a mole on the team by an untrustworthy source Sportsmaster to himself while he tries to figure out if it's ture or not, once the team finds out they throw a bitch fit like idiots towards aqua lad.

All season managed to do is,be more simpler and less ambitious then season 2 by virtue of having poor quality writing.

People who find season 2 confusing and prefer the dumber writing of season 1 more are the reason why networks hate shows with overarching story's and multiple plot threads and why there's people like Jeph Loeb in high positions to cancel them like he did avengers earths mightiest heroes in-favor of more dumber episodic stuff like new dumber/simpler avengers and ultimate spiderman.

EWmof.gif

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The one common thread there is all the different character names you're listing. S2 just falls short on that front. I don't like the BB focus. I don't know who these new people [teammates] are, but they're doing stuff: Stuff I could care less about because they haven't really put much into developing the new people. The group is in shambles. No one seems to have much development outside of BB. Locales are lame. No variety in villains and what we have is a bunch of lame BB clones which they've already faced off against twice!

Say what you will about S1, but it explored each of the characters, showed a great deal of interaction between them and had a lot of variety.

So you're saying S2 is the JLU to S1's JL.

Looks like s2 got to complex for you with multiple plot threads, s1 was a lot more simpler thanks to lower quality writing and wrapping every episode the same way with the good guys getting a BS win with the light going back to there secret meeting declaring victory despite having done nothing but get there asses kicked.

Seems quite few people have forgotten s1 and some of the dumb writing that took place.

All season managed to do is,be more simpler and less ambitious then season 2 by virtue of having poor quality writing.

The new characters in S2 are not developed at all. Seriously, i don´t read comics (plenty who watch the show probably don´t) and without proper depth to Lagan i don´t know where he came from, and how he got into a relationship with Megan. Wonder girl is the same thing. I never knew she existed. There´s no background about her in the show or anything. Batgirl, Rocket, the girl who shrinks herself and her boyfriend are all the same as Wonder girl. I don´t know anything about them (except maybe the shrinking girl because of TT show). The lack of depth for so many characters is really disturbing/annoying. Whatever happened to Zatanna, and her getting her dad back from Dr. Fate? How/why did Superboy and Megan broke up? What happened to cloned Red Arrow and his girl and their kid? Why is Kid Flash sidelined just to get the annoying Impulse? Why did Robin became Nightwing? Etc.... There are so many questions and blanks that are not answered in S2, and that´s not good at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some characters are just meant to be background or lesser developed characters, like Wonder Girl, Batgirl, Lagoon Boy, Bumblebee, Artemis, Nightwing. Some aren't. Just like in JLU.

The focus characters in S2 are Blue Beetle (for obvious reasons), Impulse (had a whole ep dedicated to him), Beast Boy (coping with his mom's death), Megann (going overkill), and some others. The overarching plot for the whole season is the Reach Apocalypse so obviously Impulse and Blue Beetle will take precedence if you know anything from the comics.

I think a lot of people would change their tune on this season if they marathoned it. It's obviously meant to be watched in sequence, and these large random hiatuses aren't helping.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Some characters are just meant to be background or lesser developed characters, like Wonder Girl, Batgirl, Lagoon Boy, Bumblebee, Artemis, Nightwing. Some aren't. Just like in JLU.

The focus characters in S2 are Blue Beetle (for obvious reasons), Impulse (had a whole ep dedicated to him), Beast Boy (coping with his mom's death), Megann (going overkill), and some others. The overarching plot for the whole season is the Reach Apocalypse so obviously Impulse and Blue Beetle will take precedence if you know anything from the comics.

I think a lot of people would change their tune on this season if they marathoned it. It's obviously meant to be watched in sequence, and these large random hiatuses aren't helping.

the hiatuses really arent. these massive spaces are messing with the perspective. cn knows what they were doing with that.

Cwarrior

The new characters in S2 are not developed at all. Seriously, i don´t read comics (plenty who watch the show probably don´t) and without proper depth to Lagan i don´t know where he came from, and how he got into a relationship with Megan. Wonder girl is the same thing. I never knew she existed. There´s no background about her in the show or anything. Batgirl, Rocket, the girl who shrinks herself and her boyfriend are all the same as Wonder girl. I don´t know anything about them (except maybe the shrinking girl because of TT show). The lack of depth for so many characters is really disturbing/annoying. Whatever happened to Zatanna, and her getting her dad back from Dr. Fate? How/why did Superboy and Megan broke up? What happened to cloned Red Arrow and his girl and their kid? Why is Kid Flash sidelined just to get the annoying Impulse? Why did Robin became Nightwing? Etc.... There are so many questions and blanks that are not answered in S2, and that´s not good at all.

Some of these question have already been answered and some of these characters aren't central characters right now for season 2.

Just to let you know I also haven't read the comics, the shows taken a time skip but it's filling in the blanks of what happened to these character in the past 5 years as it goes on, theres still quite a few episode to go.

-Megan and superboy broke up after megan manipulated superboy's mind after he confronted her about wrecking enemy's mind by turning them brain dead, this was answered quite a few episode back.

- Zatanna's dad is still inside dr fate, his staying as fates host to better protect earth.

-Red Arrow is doing his own thing like always his never been a part of the team and chechire is busy plotting to take revenge on aqualad.

-why robin wearing a different suit doesn't really matter but pretty well known in the cartoon he goes solo after he out grows the role of batman little side kick so he reinvents himself as Nightwing, pretty much the older dick grayson alter ego is Nightwing.

-Kid flash wants to live a normal life and doesn't want to the dangerous superhero life and Artemis came out of retirement for one last mission.

-Laggan showed up in S1 as a young atlantien student of magic, his not a central character for this arc.

-Rocket shows up in S1 as well but she a very minor character in both seasons

Hellion

This!

Also I think this is the last well see of this type of story telling from a DC show. :(
It just doesn't seem to hit with certain people, or they cant follow events unfolding.

All season 1 managed to do is,be more simpler and less ambitious then season 2 by virtue of having poor quality writing.

Hellooooooooooooo, Megan!

Parallax

im curious, did you apply this to justice league? because outside of bats and supes, the backstories on the other 4 were far from fleshed out. like at all.

Deathstroke was good. His final match with gar was the highlight of series. Trigon and blood were incredibly forgettable as villains, and blood was a damn joke.

Legion was such a better series its not funny, and damn near no one knows of its existance

I know it exist, it's real to me dammit!

He can be both. But seeing him go against Mongul and despero and getting smacked down is just sad as hell

well he has no Tk and we are talking about Mongul and Despero, two planetary level threats.

Smacked down like a bitch. Black Zero would be ashamed of him.

I would have hoped to see hypertime in Young justice. maybe that's the real reason the show is getting cancelled. since all these characters and stories are pre New 52 reboot, DC/WB maybe want to get rid of them so that the only images in print and media are of the new 52?

Parallax

I know it exist, it's real to me dammit!

well he has no Tk and we are talking about Mongul and Despero, two planetary level threats.

he has telepathy, so tk could be possible. its just weak using him as weak superman instead of exploring his own moveset

and theres a handful of people that watched the legion im assuming. but far more that preach the "gospel" of teen titans.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I would have hoped to see hypertime in Young justice. maybe that's the real reason the show is getting cancelled. since all these characters and stories are pre New 52 reboot, DC/WB maybe want to get rid of them so that the only images in print and media are of the new 52?

Erm, no, probably not. Aside from the fact that the creators specifically say the show takes place on Earth-16, while the New 52 main continuity takes place on New Earth/Earth-0, there's also the fact that there are other universes post-New 52 (such as Batman: Earth One.)

The show is getting cancelled cause the ratings and (more likely especially) toy sales aren't there.

He can be both. But seeing him go against Mongul and despero and getting smacked down is just sad as hell

The important thing to remember is that Mongul was originally created as a character who could beat the crap out of Superman without breaking a sweat, forcing him to use his brain to foil Mongul's schemes rather than relying on his ability to punch a problem into submission. In recent years, Mongul has been weakened to allow Superman to beat him in a direct fight while operating at low energy, but this was not always the case.

im curious, did you apply this to justice league? because outside of bats and supes, the backstories on the other 4 were far from fleshed out. like at all.

Yes, i did not know most of them, but i had 3 seasons to get to know the original crew. JLU´s characters were unrecognizable to me and i felt a bit out of touch with the show, unless the focus is on the super heroes that i knew.

Dali

I'm kinda lost by people that seem to think s2 is hard to follow. Like it makes me wonder how well they're following if its the first thing that springs to mind why someone doesn't like how things are going.

Khezu

I'm not sure which season I like better, they both have very serious flaws.

At first I thought season 2 was a nice jump in quality and I was enjoying it, but then it just went no where and I got bored.

Honestly the only reason I'm sad its getting canned is because its going to take GL with it, and the shows that are replacing them look even worse.

Still way better then Korra.

S2 isn't confusing at all its just some don't like that it didn't spell out certian things for them like the 5 year timeskip. The biggest flaw right now to me is the massive bunch of characters that (as expected) are reduced to lower tier in an effort to deal with specific ones.

Plus all those questions Viking asked where dealt by Cwarrior pretty eloquently lol though the only one you have to really do some mental gymnastics with is Robin turning into Nightwing since thats a popular comic thing that comic fans will get.

Cwarrior

holy crap, is this real?

What's the other GIF from?

It's from Cam'ron the rapper from the group "Diplomats" Movie called "killer Season"

heres the scene in the gif

It's a funny amateur movie by cam'ron which is intended to be serious.

S2 isn't confusing at all its just some don't like that it didn't spell out certian things for them like the 5 year timeskip. The biggest flaw right now to me is the massive bunch of characters that (as expected) are reduced to lower tier in an effort to deal with specific ones.

Plus all those questions Viking asked where dealt by Cwarrior pretty eloquently lol though the only one you have to really do some mental gymnastics with is Robin turning into Nightwing since thats a popular comic thing that comic fans will get.

That was still present in Season 1 when it was more the Superboy(daddy issues) Megan(hidden identity) and Artemis(family issues) show with the others playing a lesser role especially kidflash(the yamcha),Zantana,rocket, Aqualad and also robin.

Cwarrior

damn double post.

You're missing the point. The light nudged mongul to attempt to destroy earth before the reach get too powerful and take over. The light isn't really partnering with anyone. Rather I see it theyare speeding up hhuman evolution to have a army to take the universe. Also using the reach has two advantage. They are better at public relations and the lanterns can't interrupt at all.

This makes sense. The Light brainwashed the League and sent their "big guns" to do some atrocities in outer space, thus taking them out of the picture. They partnered up with the Krolotarians to either get the Reaches attention or help the Reach get to earth. They teamed up with the Reach for the PR, to keep the remaining heroes busy, and to keep the Green Lantern Corp away from earth. They manipulated Mongul to attack earth and thin out the Reaches ranks so they don't get too powerful/expose them as liars who have attack ships on earth.

The Light is up to something big and they are manipulating everyone to do it.

Both of you live up to your avatars :p

s2 is not confusing. It was just fucking slow as fuck at one point, there's a difference. It's picking up now anyway.

Also Superboy isn't underpowered, he's just up against big players and he did well against Black Adam in s1. It took the whole jlu to take down despero at one time, Mongul isn't a slouch either he finished wonder woman. Fate, Marvel or Cpt. Atom could slump him but this show isn't about them.

He is underpowered because when he was using those patches that Lex gave him he was owning people.

It's from Cam'ron the rapper from the group "Diplomats" Movie called "killer Season"

heres the scene in the gif

It's a funny amateur movie by cam'ron which is intended to be serious.

That was still present in Season 1 when it was more the Superboy(daddy issues) Megan(hidden identity) and Artemis(family issues) show with the others playing a lesser role especially kidflash(the yamcha),Zantana,rocket, Aqualad and also robin.

Not exactly since the smaller count allowed them to still show stuff about those people you have placed in lesser roles (except for Rocket i guess since she basically came from nowhere and too late). I will agree they pushed those 3 since they were sketchy at best but it didn't feel that overwhelming.

You had Robin with his family stuff (his old ringmaster and bruce when he thought bruce favored Aqualad) plus leadership issue, Aqualad with his homesick issues plus getting NTR'd by Tula, Zatana and her father issue, hell even Red arrow got a bit of time and he was hardly on the fucking team.

In season 2 you have a lot more characters where jack shit was done (Wonder Girl, Batgirl, Bumblebee, Mal ,etc) so it looks worse imo.

Great gif by the way LOL

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks like s2 got to complex for you with multiple plot threads, s1 was a lot more simpler thanks to lower quality writing and wrapping every episode the same way with the good guys getting a BS win with the light going back to their secret meeting declaring victory despite having done nothing but get there asses kicked.

Seems quite a few people have forgotten s1 and some of the dumb writing that took place.

You do know that just because something has many "subplots" doesn't mean its well-written right? If anything it's an example of a juvenile plot in attempt to look deep and failing at it - it's a prime example of trying to do many things but failing to actually do anything. Yeah S1 may have its shortcomings, but at least it remained focus on what it is doing. S2 on the other hand feels all over the place. It didn't really give much focus on characters to develop, kept handing out characters on and off without developing them (compared to JLU, which actually tried to develop some of the characters they introduced) and hell, we still never got much info as to why certain characters acted after the transition, and it didn't feel like the Light is being Xanathos with their gambits being overblown.

Also, at least S1 has the idea that it would have a S2 to iron its mistakes. I don't think S2 has that luxury anymore.

He is underpowered because when he was using those patches that Lex gave him he was owning people.

Minor. He wasn't owning people like desparo or B.Adam. They're team busters and have held of the whole JLA before (SuperMAN AND freinds)

The fact that superboy tanked shots from them without getting killed or knocked out is actually a good feat. His job is to take blows other members of the team can't and wall/ distract powerhouses, he does it excellently.

One thing I like about this show is they have kept power levels really realistic. It would annoy me if the younguns could take out big threats with ease. I'd prefer using fate's helmet to gain an advantage rather than winning due to the power of "freindship" or cheesy teamwork.

Top Bottom