• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Superboy found peace and lost his edge. Tk would be more fitting for his current mood change

He's not that new. We don't know how long he's had his powers since the first season, and its been five years since. Unless this show has gimped all bruisers he should have gained some skill.

Actually we do know, as of Auld Acquaintance he has been a hero for 3 yrs.
http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=14722

The askgreg reveals a lot of info about the show that isn't made known in the tv show or comics, like the fact that the undercover plan was just originally Aqualad and Nightwing. They brought in Artemis later and she only agreed to go with the plan if Wally could be brought in on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
THAT WAS THE BEST SEASON-LONG BUILD UP AND PAYOFF I'VE SEEN SINCE BUFFY

BEST EVER IN ANY CARTOON

WHY IS THIS SHOW CANCELLED

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The new JL show, if it ever happens, should take place in the same universe.

Isn't the current rumor that it was cancelled and thus DC Nation is gonna be kiboshed too? :(

Awesome night wing fighting animation. Also great to see Wally suited up again.

I also liked the subtle nod to the original young justice crew when wonder girl, impulse, and robin popped out of their costumes.

Yeah that was really nice. :)

This show is comic fanservice up the whazoo. Really going to miss it. :(

Ducarmel

iBEIO5FQNeyne.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well at least he finally did some action rather than being in base... and I just realized all of his action time are pretty much "team reunion" variants :p

ericexpo

I thought there was a another justice league show in the works, but now with the superman movie coming out they prob scraped it for another run a superman. WB has become so predictable. batman property - superman property - something new (cancel) -wash rinse repeat with batman property

Has Mattel handled their entire DC toyline?

Its a shame marvel swept up toybiz.

Yeah and Mattel has completely started failing with DC stuff lately.
their last really successful DC toyline was BATB.
even their DC mainline(DCUC) is getting cancelled.
justice_league_sdcc_starro.jpg
Is the best thing they ever released.
$80+ but I had to get it because of Kevin Conroy.

If you go to Target you will notice that Mattel has started repackaging BatB toys into a Justice League brand. I laughed hard at it.

Pretty much. They've given them New 52 paint jobs, though. Superman has no red underwear, Flash has glowing lightning bolt seams, etc.

I'm thinking we may have 2 final battles next week:

- The Team vs. Black Beetle while the Justice League of Leftovers distract the Reach army.

- Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Hawk Woman, Icon and GL John Stewart vs. Vandal Savage, Klarion and the War World on Rimbor.

The original plan for this series, from quotes I've seen, was a 2 season arc. (but with the team having plans for many more years of stories) Hopefully that means no cliffhangers.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If you go to Target you will notice that Mattel has started repackaging BatB toys into a Justice League brand. I laughed hard at it.

Pretty much. They've given them New 52 paint jobs, though. Superman has no red underwear, Flash has glowing lightning bolt seams, etc.

I'm thinking we may have 2 final battles next week:

- The Team vs. Black Beetle while the Justice League of Leftovers distract the Reach army.

- Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Hawk Woman, Icon and GL John Stewart vs. Vandal Savage, Klarion and the War World on Rimbor.

The original plan for this series, from quotes I've seen, was a 2 season arc. (but with the team having plans for many more years of stories) Hopefully that means no cliffhangers.
LOLZ, I just bought the Batman fig to add to my collection, though I'm not proud of it...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i'm always kind of surprised that toys are still a thing, considering that video games are literally everywhere now.

i'm always kind of surprised that toys are still a thing, considering that video games are literally everywhere now.

I'm willing to bet video game companies wish their product would sell like a Spiderman or Batman toy. Shit, the new Batman toys are always sold out and they don't even have a cartoon or anything attached to them.

Khezu

I'm not gonna lie, I'm rooting for the Light.

I mean, lets be serious here, we humans are pretty god damn great, and if anyone deserves to rule the galaxy, it's us.

NEO0MJ

Most toys yes, but licensed toys based on existing property like Batman will always sell well, be it children or adult market.

luxsol

Yeah and Mattel has completely started failing with DC stuff lately.
More like since forever.
Mattel has always been behind whatever other toy makers like Toy Biz and Hasbro have been producing. Even the DCUC line since the beginning was mediocre compared to what Toy Biz was making with the Marvel toys. It only got worse from there since they kept reusing the same Superman body for nearly every male character, while Toy Biz kept producing new bodies every single wave for nearly every single figure and adding more features.
Even Hasbro, who regularly reuses bodies, still has 10x more body types it can reuse. So that Spider-Man isn't just a Spider-Man head grafted onto Thor's body.

It's no wonder that almost all of Mattel's action figure lines either fail completely (Avatar, Young Justice) or were barely supported by retail (DCUC). WB/DC are no doubt upset at how Mattel completely bungles the license and got Young Justice and Green Lantern:TAS canceled. Popular franchises like this shouldn't sell so poorly.

You can point out that GL:TAS was fucked over by the GL movie, but the GI Joe movie also did just as poorly, but the movie toy line sold very well for Hasbro and most retailers continued support for the non-movie and non-cartoon GI Joe lines. This only shows how badly Mattel handles their boys toylines.
Hasbro has multiple general Marvel toylines that sell extremely well without any ties to the movies or cartoons, yet Mattel can't even sell a toyline based directly on a highly popular TV show like Young Justice.

Htown said:
Considering most growth in the video game market has been for previous "non-gamers" and the aging population of people from the 70s, 80s and 90s who have continued gaming, i don't think much has changed kids want for toys since the 90s and even 80s. Only thing that seems to have affected their traditional toy buying habits is the economy.

Kids still love toys.

Dram

So why does warner brothers still work with Mattel? Is there no one else willing to pay for their license fees?

luxsol

So why does warner brothers still work with Mattel? Is there no one else willing to pay for their license fees?
Licensing contracts usually goes for many years until it ends and Mattel just extended their contract with DC in 2011.

Collectors were actually hopeful that they'd actually up their game in producing better toys because of it, considering they had added more articulation to a single figure in a DCUC wave, that one Starro box set, and the SDCC Swamp Thing. Mattel hasn't done anything better since then. Features have been taken out and they're reusing the Superman bodies more than ever, so now most of Mattel's DC toys look like they come straight out of the 80s and 90s.
Kids seem to agree that Mattel's efforts are shit, considering how poorly their lines have d one.

It's hard to prove that it's actually Mattel's fault that the toylines are selling so poorly. They can blame the economy, movies not doing as good as they should, or that toylines aren't enticing to kids anymore.
Still, considering how well Hasbro has been doing with their own properties and licenses, it's pretty clear who's at fault, IMO. I'm sure DC/WB notice that too.

The upcoming Superman movie line looks terrible.

At least DC Direct/DC Collectibles has been actually been producing far better toys, instead of just making articulated statues like they used to.

Zzoram

They should've done toys AND a Young Justice video game.

That way if toys underperform (due to fewer children viewers), the video game can make up the money (due to older viewers).

Man the feelings I got when Wally & Impulse had a moment that pretty much hinted at them being the new KF & Flash : (

We'll never see it in the series.

Effect

I wonder why WB/DC has stuck with Mattel for so long? As said this isn't a new thing in regard to how they've handled the toyline. I've always wondered as well why there always always so few DC character toys compared to other franchises. Is their contract suppose to be up? Can WB/DC simply not get a contract with Hasbro, etc because they handle rival franchises and they're stuck with Mattel?

The Light really needs to learn not to hold summits on Santa Prisca with members of the Team who've expressed interest in turning evil. It never works out for them.

Top Bottom