• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Okay, i loved the latest episode BUT, even if Megan was a Shapeshifted Deathstroke how was she moving like him.

Loomba

Episode was fantastic, absolutely crazy such a great show is going out this way...

another gif I made

ibjRK9ohtf5MWl.gif

This reminded me of Avatar, loved it.

Dali

Just saw most recent episode. Wow they really sealed most everything up. I honestly didn't think they'd be able to before the last episode and here we are with one still left and I'm already fairly happy. The fight animation was ace. Where was wondering girl though?

Also how was black Beatle able to just ignore his own rule. Take that mask off!

Ducarmel

Wonder Girl had a small cameo in a scene with Robin and Impulse, she used her rope on a random Light henchmen and that was it.

I'm pretty sure Black Beetle's host identity is inconsequential since his action are of The Reach and not the free will of the host.

Zzoram

Black Beetle is a Reach himself, not a human so it doesn't really matter who he is. There is no twist to be had there.

I'm guessing the last episode ends with Young Justice beating Black Beetle to save Earth, and the Justice League only getting back just after the fighting is over. Maybe it will end with questions about what The Light is planning to do with the War World. If their goal is to strengthen Earth and humanity, maybe they'll start a war with some aliens to force Earth to harden up.

Dali

Wonder Girl had a small cameo in a scene with Robin and Impulse, she used her rope on a random Light henchmen and that was it.

I'm pretty sure Black Beetle's host identity is inconsequential since his action are of The Reach and not the free will of the host.

Not really. If ever he decided to appear without his armor surrounding him no one would know who he was. He should have removed his mask for the same reasons everyone else needed to. Its the same as if the Reach ambassador were shrouded. How would the Light know one random Reach grunt from the ambassador or in this case Black Beetle? "He's Reach and that's all you need to know" seems like a poor excuse.

Silver_key

Neo Member
I was a bit surprised they showed Black Beetle killing Ras al Ghul. Of course, we all know where Ubu went to take him. I'm sad that we may not ever see a show done in this same art style and take on the DC universe.

I couldn't stop cheering when I realized that was Ubu. Reminded me that I've been enjoying DC Animation for a long time.

If Black Beetle didn't have free will, he couldn't mutiny against the Ambassador, or lead the Reach delegation. His scarab doesn't control him because he is a loyal Reach warrior and not an enslaved native of the target world.

luxsol

I wonder why WB/DC has stuck with Mattel for so long?
They were the highest bidder and that's pretty much it. They're the biggest toy company in the world, but it seems that they're only that big because they cut every corner that they can and then cut the corners from the freshly cut corners.
Before Mattel had the license, Kenner (which Hasbro owned, but Kenner was their "superhero" branch) had the DC license. Kenner was mostly known for it's 5 points of articulation Batman:TAS figures, which Mattel continued the style of with until Justice League Unlimited line.

I've always wondered as well why there always always so few DC character toys compared to other franchises. Is their contract suppose to be up?
No, as stated, they just renewed it in 2011 and will continue to hold the license until.... i don't know. 5 years from then? 2016? I don't know, but that sounds right
The only things Mattel couldn't produce were Vertigo and Watchmen toys, but i think that was all smoothed out with the 2011 license extension, which is why they released Swamp Thing and they just showed off the Watchmen figures at Toy Fair last month.
ANYWAY, Mattel had two lines where they released any characters that they wanted to. DC Universe Classics (which was supposed to be older designs) and DC Infinite Heroes (current designs). DCUC wasn't carried by many retailers at first and languished in most stores. They had maybe one row of pegs and it wasn't uncommon to find Cyborg or Power Girl taking up all the spaces for months, which meant that most places never saw the 4 or 6 waves that were made every year. The line was killed last year because of the new 52 thing DC did and the new general DC line is... i don't know where it is. I think it might only be carried by TRU, because my Walmarts and Targets don't carry it.
DCIH was a 3¾" line that was budget as fuck. There were a ton of figures released in the 2 years it was around, but if you're into toys at all, you can see why the line bombed.
3458541799_b2dca309de_b.jpg

I mean look at that shit. Those figures should be no more than five dollars retail and that is absolutely generous and inflated. I would kill for a decent Black Lightning or Aom figure but I don't want to know what they are going for now.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They were the highest bidder and that's pretty much it. They're the biggest toy company in the world, but it seems that they're only that big because they cut every corner that they can and then cut the corners from the freshly cut corners.
Before Mattel had the license, Kenner (which Hasbro owned, but Kenner was their "superhero" branch) had the DC license. Kenner was mostly known for it's 5 points of articulation Batman:TAS figures, which Mattel continued the style of with until Justice League Unlimited line.

No, as stated, they just renewed it in 2011 and will continue to hold the license until.... i don't know. 5 years from then? 2016? I don't know, but that sounds right
The only things Mattel couldn't produce were Vertigo and Watchmen toys, but i think that was all smoothed out with the 2011 license extension, which is why they released Swamp Thing and they just showed off the Watchmen figures at Toy Fair last month.
ANYWAY, Mattel had two lines where they released any characters that they wanted to. DC Universe Classics (which was supposed to be older designs) and DC Infinite Heroes (current designs). DCUC wasn't carried by many retailers at first and languished in most stores. They had maybe one row of pegs and it wasn't uncommon to find Cyborg or Power Girl taking up all the spaces for months, which meant that most places never saw the 4 or 6 waves that were made every year. The line was killed last year because of the new 52 thing DC did and the new general DC line is... i don't know where it is. I think it might only be carried by TRU, because my Walmarts and Targets don't carry it.
DCIH was a 3¾" line that was budget as fuck. There were a ton of figures released in the 2 years it was around, but if you're into toys at all, you can see why the line bombed.
3458541799_b2dca309de_b.jpg

wow. that is some he man toy shit. so same basic mould for the bodies, and different heads and paintjobs?

man i wish S.I.C did western hero figures.

wow. that is some he man toy shit. so same basic mould for the bodies, and different heads and paintjobs?

man i wish S.I.C did western hero figures.

Yep thats how all of Mattel's DC figures are, even the $15-$20 figures

Worst thing was they cancelled the line right after it started getting better.
and just weeks before some good stuff.
these cost the same or more than Marvel's much higher quality figures.

luxsol

The DCUC line (which was supposed to be the premium collectors line) is nearly just as bad, except the proportions are much better (nearly everyone has a Superman body though) and there's more articulation.
The Young Justice 6" line also featured extensive reused bodied, but they had the "younger" body which was overly-muscled man bodies, just shorter.
The 3¾" line was cartoon accurate, but they had 5 joints: swivel head that only moves side to side, shoulders that move up and down, and hips/legs that move up and down.

Just to compare, this is Hasbro's 1:18 scale line (a little larger than 3¾") which has more joints than Mattel's 6" lines.
MU_Beast%2037522.jpg

31 points of articulation. Head sits on a ball joint and the ball joint is on a hinge (allowing the head to have a greater degree of motion to look up and down). Hips are ball joints. Shoulders and wrists are ball-hinges (basically a ball joint). Ankles are ball-hinges, but designed to allow the feet to remain flat on the ground in most poses. Single hinges on elbows and toes. Double hinged at knees. Swivels at upper thighs and biceps. OH, and ball joint mid-torso.
Hasbro's 6" lines have a little more articulation than this.
This line has major retail support, plus boxsets AND has a sub-line (comic packs: two figures featured in the comic book it comes with, usually painted comic book style), yet isn't attached to any movie or cartoon. It's just characters from the comic books that sell 30-80k a month.
Mattel can't even sell toys for a TV series that regularly had 2 million viewers every week.

Oh, and Toy Biz (bought Marvel in the 90s, but closed their toy branch in 2009) was even better at articulation, sometimes double of what you see on this Beast, if not more. They also had better, more complex paint jobs. So Hasbro is pretty cheapass compared to the Marvel toys we used to get.

Razgriz-Specter said:
worst thing was they cancelled the line right after the line started getting better.
Still really bad compared to what Hasbro was making at the time. They still overused the same body, so some figures looked like bobbleheads with that new body.

Ducarmel

If Black Beetle didn't have free will, he couldn't mutiny against the Ambassador, or lead the Reach delegation. His scarab doesn't control him because he is a loyal Reach warrior and not an enslaved native of the target world.

I don't want to geek out to much on this but

The "scarab" quoted a legal article of The Reach that allowed him to relieve the Ambassador of his duty. It was not mutiny, mutiny suggest he disobeyed lawful orders and is acting in his own interest, he was still an agent of The Reach and worked for the best interest of The Reach.

If he believes the Ambassador is not capable of leading the delegation he he has the power to relieve him of his command.

Its similar to other articles you might see in similar command structures. For example in the Navy the XO with support of the Chief of the Boat can relieve the Captain of his duties if they feel like his command was compromised, he was giving unlawful orders, or his action are negatively affecting the operation of the ship or mission.

Again Blue Beetle host is just a host and his scarab is calling all the shots as already mentioned plenty of times throughout the show the scarab is designed to take over the host and become an agent of The Reach.

Not really. If ever he decided to appear without his armor surrounding him no one would know who he was. He should have removed his mask for the same reasons everyone else needed to. Its the same as if the Reach ambassador were shrouded. How would the Light know one random Reach grunt from the ambassador or in this case Black Beetle? "He's Reach and that's all you need to know" seems like a poor excuse.
I'm pretty sure they would still take any precaution of an alien of the Reach in there presence, they know enough about the scarab tech to defend it this is The Light we are talking about they posses magic and there is evidence they have Apokolips technology. So again they probably have no reason to care about the identity of the Beetles host.

I don't want to geek out to much on this but

The "scarab" quoted a legal article of The Reach that allowed him to relieve the Ambassador of his duty. It was not mutiny, mutiny suggest he disobeyed lawful orders and is acting in his own interest, he was still an agent of The Reach and worked for the best interest of The Reach.

If he believes the Ambassador is not capable of leading the delegation he he has the power to relieve him of his command.

Its similar to other articles you might see in similar command structures. For example in the Navy the XO with support of the Chief of the Boat can relieve the Captain of his duties if they feel like his command was compromised, he was giving unlawful orders, or his action are negatively affecting the operation of the ship or mission.

Again Blue Beetle host is just a host and his scarab is calling all the shots as already mentioned plenty of times throughout the show the scarab is designed to take over the host and become an agent of The Reach.

Right, but the Reach-controlled scarabs on Earth were shown to be under direct control of the ambassador. Black Beetle is loyal to the Reach and their cause of his own free will rather than a control mechanism. He's a ranking member of the Reach military using the scarab as a tool rather than a puppet being controlled by it.

Mutiny may not have been the best word choice, as you're right- it is a lawful change of power.

Ducarmel

Right, but the Reach-controlled scarabs on Earth were shown to be under direct control of the ambassador. Black Beetle is loyal to the Reach and their cause of his own free will rather than a control mechanism. He's a ranking member of the Reach military using the scarab as a tool rather than a puppet being controlled by it.

Mutiny may not have been the best word choice, as you're right- it is a lawful change of power.

Even if he is a loyal Reach agent of his own free will, can he act against his superiors or even act against any Reach laws of code and conduct. I doubt they would just allow him to freely use the scarab tech with out assurances they could control him if he went rouge. He had to use a specific article to relieve the Ambassador of his duty, up until then he followed orders regardless if he liked them or not.

Parallax

The DCUC line (which was supposed to be the premium collectors line) is nearly just as bad, except the proportions are much better (nearly everyone has a Superman body though) and there's more articulation.
The Young Justice 6" line also featured extensive reused bodied, but they had the "younger" body which was overly-muscled man bodies, just shorter.
The 3¾" line was cartoon accurate, but they had 5 joints: swivel head that only moves side to side, shoulders that move up and down, and hips/legs that move up and down.

Just to compare, this is Hasbro's 1:18 scale line (a little larger than 3¾") which has more joints than Mattel's 6" lines.
MU_Beast%2037522.jpg

31 points of articulation. Head sits on a ball joint and the ball joint is on a hinge (allowing the head to have a greater degree of motion to look up and down). Hips are ball joints. Shoulders and wrists are ball-hinges (basically a ball joint). Ankles are ball-hinges, but designed to allow the feet to remain flat on the ground in most poses. Single hinges on elbows and toes. Double hinged at knees. Swivels at upper thighs and biceps. OH, and ball joint mid-torso.
Hasbro's 6" lines have a little more articulation than this.
This line has major retail support, plus boxsets AND has a sub-line (comic packs: two figures featured in the comic book it comes with, usually painted comic book style), yet isn't attached to any movie or cartoon. It's just characters from the comic books that sell 30-80k a month.
Mattel can't even sell toys for a TV series that regularly had 2 million viewers every week.

Oh, and Toy Biz (bought Marvel in the 90s, but closed their toy branch in 2009) was even better at articulation, sometimes double of what you see on this Beast, if not more. They also had better, more complex paint jobs. So Hasbro is pretty cheapass compared to the Marvel toys we used to get.

Razgriz-Specter said:
worst thing was they cancelled the line right after the line started getting better.
Still really bad compared to what Hasbro was making at the time. They still overused the same body, so some figures looked like bobbleheads with that new body.

i used to get all sorts of toybiz figures back in the day, and its amazing how more than a decade and a half ago, they were making better figures than that pathetic crap posted above. dc needs to do better.

Dali

WF: It seemed like the first season was heading towards an invasion by Apokolips, but was seemingly abandoned in the second season for the Reach. Was Apokolips a red herring to throw fans off, to make the Reach a surprising threat, or did you decide it was a road traveled too often? Or... was it even considered at all?

GW: Nothing was abandoned. We had a plan from day one on this series, and we've stuck with it.
That's pretty ambiguous. So did the plan include Apokolips in a later season or was the introduction of the tech and characters from that side of things just one-off usage of stuff in the DC universe?
WF: A ‘fill-in-the-blank’ question – Could you reveal who the Team members who joined and left during the five- year gap were (other than the ones already known: Tempest, Aquagirl and Jason Todd)?

GW: Hmmm. Well, the fans have been pretty patient, so here's their reward:

DESIGNATIONS:
01 – Superman
02 – Batman
03 - Wonder Woman
04 – Flash
05 - Green Lantern
06 – Aquaman
07 - Martian Manhunter
08 - Green Arrow
09 – Hawkman
10 – Hawkwoman
11 – Zatara
12 - Captain Atom
13 - Black Canary
14 - Green Lantern
15 - Captain Marvel
16 - Red Tornado
17 - Doctor Fate
18 – Atom
19 - Plastic Man
20 – Icon
21 - Red Arrow
22 - Blue Beetle
23 - Black Lightning
24 - Green Lantern
25 – Zatanna
26 – Rocket
27 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
28 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
A01 - Lucas Carr
A02 - Catherine Cobert
A03 - Zatanna Zatara
A04 - John Smith
A05 - Billy Batson
A06 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
A07 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
A08 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
A09 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
A10 - Malcolm Duncan
A11 - Adam Strange
A12 - Blue Beetle
A13 - Jay Garrick
B01 - Robin/Nightwing
B02 – Aqualad
B03 - Kid Flash
B04 – Superboy
B05 - Miss Martian
B06 - Speedy/Red Arrow
B07 – Artemis
B08 – Zatanna
B09 – Rocket
B10 – Tempest
B11 – Aquagirl
B12 – Troia
B13 – Robin
B14 - Lieutenant Marvel
B15 - Sergeant Marvel
B16 – Batgirl
B17 – Bumblebee
B18 - Lagoon Boy
B19 - Beast Boy
B20 – Robin
B21 - Wonder Girl
B22 - Blue Beetle
B23 – Impulse
B24 – Guardian
B25 – Arsenal
B26 - SPOILER REQUEST. NO COMMENT.
C01 – Sphere
C02 – Wolf

I don't know any of these lesser-known names, but I would have liked to have. :'(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
so 3 Green Lantern's. Hal, then...Guy then John?

3 Blue Beetles in there. Ted Kord on the Justice League, and perhaps the middle one was his spot before entering the league? Last one is the current one.

Troia = Wonder Girl?

Carr and Cobert are the regular people. I remember Cobert as the PR lady. John Smith is Red Tornado's alias.

Redacted names for the last "B Team spot", and the 2 newest league members. 4 spots in the middle of the A range (what is the A range? Human Civvies and alias's?) 1st 5 were introduced in Season 1, and everyone else came during the break, or into Season 2.

Perhaps those names come about in the finale, at least the B Team and JL names.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

3 Blue Beetles in there. Ted Kord on the Justice League, and perhaps the middle one was his spot before entering the league? Last one is the current one.

Troia = Wonder Girl?

Troia, I think, would be Donna Troy. Different character from the blonde Wonder Girl.

Lanterns were Hal, then John, then Guy.

Lonestar

the whole Wonder Girl and Donna Troy always confused me. Blame it on my limited knowledge of Wonder Woman plot.

BTW, when thinking of Red Arrow (the clone), whatever happened to him? The last I remember was him in the hospital with Original Roy, before he escaped to go after Luthor.

Slayven

Troia = Wonder Girl?

Carr and Cobert are the regular people. I remember Cobert as the PR lady. John Smith is Red Tornado's alias.

Redacted names for the last "B Team spot", and the 2 newest league members. 4 spots in the middle of the A range (what is the A range? Human Civvies and alias's?) 1st 5 were introduced in Season 1, and everyone else came during the break, or into Season 2.

Perhaps those names come about in the finale, at least the B Team and JL names.

Ted Kord is the middle Blue Beetle. He took the name after Dan Garrett died.

Parallax

captain, liutenant, and sargeant marvel?

oh weisman, you need to be put on an actual comic.

and he recognizes donna, so that should make satch happy, even if she never appears

the whole Wonder Girl and Donna Troy always confused me. Blame it on my limited knowledge of Wonder Woman plot.

BTW, when thinking of Red Arrow (the clone), whatever happened to him? The last I remember was him in the hospital with Original Roy, before he escaped to go after Luthor.

there are two wonder girls, donna "fuck my life" troy, and cassie sandsmark. the one weve seen is cassie, one of the original members of young justice. and donna is the one that dc seems to hate for some reason.

thinking about it, i wonder what happened to donna, because if shes dead, that makes diana look like a hypocrite for calling bats out on having kid sidekicks.

as for clone roy, hes proabably either taking care of lian, or doing superhero stuff.

Lonestar

well, Captain Marvel is the One we've seen (Billy Batson) Not sure about the naming of the other 2. I knew there was a Marvel Family, but they didn't use those "ranking names", did they?

Parallax

well, Captain Marvel is the One we've seen (Billy Batson) Not sure about the naming of the other 2. I knew there was a Marvel Family, but they didn't use those "ranking names", did they?

no, thats why its awesome that he gave them ranks.

they were just marvel jr and mary marvel.

Mmm know I'm wondering that also. He is related to wally and Artemis now so maybe they all retire together?

Lonestar

Mmm know I'm wondering that also. He is related to wally and Artemis now so maybe they all retire together?

I don't think he's related to...wait, I forgot, the daughter. Brother-in-Law level, I guess.

Then you got the whole "Guardian" guy. Did they imply that he too was a clone? Just an older one?

Top Bottom