• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Gartooth

Just have to say that I am very interested in seeing some interviews from the show's producers in the following weeks in the wake of this episode. Specifically what their specific plans for season 3 would have been, and why
the decision to kill Wally West was made, with perhaps the death being a means of setting up plot elements for a future season.

Of course they could also be no fun and just say they won't answer any questions based on the extremely slim chance that there is a continuation of the series.

I honestly see nothing wrong with choosing a different scale. A self contained toyline works well as long as you have enough figures to play with. I mean, Hasbro is pretty much the only toy company that does a 1:18 scale line and they sell very well, while everyone else does 3¾" scale. Hell, even Hasbro's Star Wars lline isn't 1:18 scale.
I don't think kids really don't give a shit about scale anyway. Just look at Transformers, where an F16 is as big as a Beetle (or with toady's kisd, f22 = camaro).
The problem with the scale was,
They made them scale with JLU which had been dead for a long time and that had been a collector focused line.
at the time they had Infinite Heroes, Green Lantern some TDK and they were working on TDKR with MOS upcoming all in 3.75 scale. If they had been 3.75 they would have complemented those lines and done somewhat better. (for example I probably would have bought the Ra's/Cheshire pack just to go with my IH & TDK batmen)
If Infinite Heroes had a little more life and Hasbro's people behind it you would have seen them do a few Green Lantern TAS figures in a wave to get past the movie flopping issue.

Its that way and has been extremely successful for Hasbro/Marvel.
Marvel Universe->Xmen Wolverine->Iron Man 2->generic Spiderman->Thor->Captain America->Avengers->Amazing Spiderman->Ultimate Spiderman->Iron Man 3.
all of those have been the same scale, fit with each other and done very well. though Iron Man 3's look Mattel quality.

or why not have nobody die?

I know, it's a stretch.

What happened to Wally is important if you consider the "30-40 year jump for season 3" comment. Dual timelines is the only way to make that work without sacrificing the whole cast outside of Conner and M'gann. In that case, Wally being lost in time creates a connecting thread for the two timelines.

Looking forward to the Ask Greg! responses in the next few weeks.

Just thought of something, since the team is growing...they should split up and create multiple teams:

YJ:
Batgirl, Artemis, Beast Boy,
static
, Lagoon Boy, Robin

Titans:
Nightwing, Megan, Superboy, Kid Flash, Blue Beetle, Wonder Girl, Bumble Bee, Guardian 2

Averon

Just finish watching the episode. Left so, so much dangling. Thinking about how much material they hinted at that will never be expounded upon is depressing.

Penguin

Not to harp on it much, but watching Green Lantern and Young Justice end... while seeing the advertisements for Teen Titans Go.. kind of killed me inside.. It's not that I hate Teen Titans... but this version seems to be catering to the lowest common denominator.

It looks like it's even more toned down from the original series! :(

Not to harp on it much, but watching Green Lantern and Young Justice end... while seeing the advertisements for Teen Titans Go.. kind of killed me inside.. It's not that I hate Teen Titans... but this version seems to be catering to the lowest common denominator.

oh well you won't have to suffer it long, you know CN will run it into the ground.
I can't wait to see how they try to kill off the new Batman series.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Nope. I feel the same way and I'm sure others do too. The fact that it isn't at the quality of the original titans go shorts makes it look that much more garbage.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Just watched it. Clearly they didn't expect to get cancelled even though the series has been on life support since before the season 1 finale. Damn shame they didn't get the extra season to finish it up properly.

I guess its a good thing seeing as Darksied (even watered down) would destroy this version Justice League in a few minutes.

Still, I will miss these characters and the art direction of the series. I'm getting so sick of everything having to be super cartoony.

My hopes rest with Man of Steel being massive and helping to get a Supes or Justice League series up.

VeeP

I never understood the need to pair up everybody. It might add an interesting dynamic, but not everyone needs to pair up and have all kind of drama.

Pre-new52 Tim Drake and Cassie did date for a bit. And it seems like New52 Cassie and Drake are into each other. It doesn't really matter but I thought maybe some people who don't read comics would be interested to know that.

Anyways, the finale was pretty good. Not as great as Season 1 finale but still good. I would love to see a small time skip and season 3 :(. CN pls.

Zzoram

I think a final showdown against Darkseid would've had YJ and the full Justice League.

Superman has to be the one to deal the final blow to Darkseid. On this show, maybe it would've been a team up between Superman and Superboy.

number47

choked on my coffee while hearing "freedom is overrated"

This writing is amazing. I wonder what Bruce Timm will do with this.
Also I blame cartoon network for this shows failing. They will never push anything unless its their original creation.

Animekatt

I've always lurked in this thread, since I thought with my limited comic knowledge I wouldn't bring anything here. But I just have to say that I'm so this show has ended. :(

I filled out the survey, and posted it on FB. It seems some of my friends will fill out the survey as well.

Tizoc

A shame this season felt rushed and that were' not getting another new series. It was fun while it lasted. Would've been nice to at least see adventures with the team.
Oh and I've called Godferry's real role since his first appearance(s) XD.

EulaCapra

Although I have many sad faces for Green Lantern and YJ, YJ's finale felt even more rushed with story beats than in recent memory. Right off the bat when Aqualad and Beetles confronted Black Beetle I was like, "Oh, that was some random transition in time and space." And while I appreciate the (forever) cliffhanger, this season's episodes always happened to end on a dire note with the Light/Reach. It's okay to end on a peppy ending, guys.

Still... Sad faces.

Loomba

Would have definitely benefitted from a two-parter, shame about
Wally
as well and the hints to a third season really hurt. The series as a whole has been fantastic though, damn shame.

Brickhunt

Can´t CN lives off advertising while making YJ? I mean really over a million people watch it. Commercials must get descent revenues for CN.
Animation is expensive by itself. High quality animation like YJ and Green Lantern is even more. Just high ratings are not enough. Honestly, I have no idea if Legend of Korra is making any profit. Common sense dictates the animation is expensive as hell, and the show has no toyline and limited merchandise. I can't see just the stellar ratings are enough to justify the show.

btw, I love how CN didn't even bother to advertise the shows as their final episodes. In Avatar you got a whole week of new episodes, and the final four episodes were show as 2 hour special. It apparently got 5.6 million viewers hocked in their TVs.

This weekend Ben 10 got two episodes that were advertised followed by a marathon. To be fair, Omniverse is actually good and fun. But these episodes were more of an end of an arc, not a season or even mid-season finale.

Here? These lazy fucks didn't bother to say "watch the final episodes". Honestly, the only good thing that came from the DC Nation block is the animated shorts. They don't even bother with making new voice overs, the "next week, on DC nation" use the very same clips every week that does not match the next episodes content.

What happened to Wally is important if you consider the "30-40 year jump for season 3" comment. Dual timelines is the only way to make that work without sacrificing the whole cast outside of Conner and M'gann. In that case, Wally being lost in time creates a connecting thread for the two timelines.

Looking forward to the Ask Greg! responses in the next few weeks.

Yep and i realize it would link to the comic story of Flash (Wally West) being thought as dead but was actually in the speedforce somewhere else like that Brave and Beyond episode.

And it would be interesting to see how everyone was affected by his death in the current time (we see Artemis keeping the Tigress name and Impulse becoming the new KF already, Nightwing Leaving) and that other possible time.

Unlike Young Justice, Ben 10 managed to sell over $2 billion worth of merchandise to justify it's existence on TV forever.

Indeed.

even if the new one is total garbage it will continue to show since the sales make a lot of bread.

And i wonder which version is the money maker: Young Ben (who seems to be all the rage in Latin America) or Older Ben.

Decent isn't good enough. The network wanted a vehicle for merchandise sales. Teen Titans Go probably costs peanuts to produce compared to YJ and GL:TAS.

DC Nation Fan Meet Up #16: Speeches from the Producers of GLTAS and YJ

Animation is expensive by itself. High quality animation like YJ and Green Lantern is even more. Just high ratings are not enough. Honestly, I have no idea if Legend of Korra is making any profit. Common sense dictates the animation is expensive as hell, and the show has no toyline and limited merchandise. I can't see just the stellar ratings are enough to justify the show.

btw, I love how CN didn't even bother to advertise the shows as their final episodes. In Avatar you got a whole week of new episodes, and the final four episodes were show as 2 hour special. It apparently got 5.6 million viewers hocked in their TVs.

This weekend Ben 10 got two episodes that were advertised followed by a marathon. To be fair, Omniverse is actually good and fun. But these episodes were more of an end of an arc, not a season or even mid-season finale.

Here? These lazy fucks didn't bother to say "watch the final episodes". Honestly, the only good thing that came from the DC Nation block is the animated shorts. They don't even bother with making new voice overs, the "next week, on DC nation" use the very same clips every week that does not match the next episodes content.
I mean like seriously. Make Batman dolls and they will sell like hot cakes. It does not even have to be YJ figures :p I have always thought that there was a huge follow for super heroes in the US outside of cinema, like cartoons. But Korra, a spin off show, gets 5 times the audience than heroes that have been known and popular for years.

Who are the character who will star in Titans Go? The same characters as teen titans? When does it start airing? I really liked Teen Titans because outside of Robin i did not know any of the other titans, and it gave me Slade.

Tell me this is not it, because fuck this art style.

I mean like seriously. Make Batman dolls and they will sell like hot cakes. It does not even have to be YJ figures :p I have always thought that there was a huge follow for super heroes in the US outside of cinema, like cartoons. But Korra, a spin off show, gets 5 times the audience than heroes that have been known and popular for years.

Who are the character who will star in Titans Go? The same characters as teen titans? When does it start airing? I really liked Teen Titans because outside of Robin i did not know any of the other titans, and it gave me Slade.

Its the same characters from the original TT and yes that is the art style unfortunately.

Its the same characters from the original TT and yes that is the art style unfortunately.

Thanks. Yuck. They should have included more characters and not just recycle the old ones. I hope Titans East are also in this show and other heroes. The target audience for this show seems much younger than YJ. Dammit, i want Zatanna to be in it or any other show.

To add insult to injury, it won't have any superhero-ing, just downtime antics and gags.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The worst thing about Teen Titans GO! is it's based around the weakest part of the original cartoon: It's humour and the exaggerated anime art style it sometimes takes during said "funny" moments.

It blows my mind how the original voice actors accepted to come back for this, years after the original ended.

Top Bottom