• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Young Justice: The Animated Series

Cwarrior

5 year time skip....ok
-OMG Lobo....wait don't go Lobo don't leave me :(
-WTF they get rid of the best character of last season Aqualad but keep shit ones like superboy WHY IS HE STILL HERE, hopefully his out grown his angst.
-tons of new characters, already liking the new ones more then the old, should of got rid of the old ones if there not keeping aqualad.
-blue beetle is awesome, I like how talks to his suit but they think his crazy.
-oh there's some random black guy in the base, I get it now it's the rule where you can't have more then one black guy in the main cast at the same time.
-hmm.. i quite like how wonder girls is a slugger,i can tell already she going to have some romance with superboy so are all the other chicks.

anyways great episode

Just wondering, are there any plans for a box set releasing any time soon? Or am I better off putting myself in cryogenic stasis for the next 5 years?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My reaction to the premiere was opposite many; I say ring the noise and bring the chaos, I like the shake up.

YJ's characterizations were never individually great. The show has a very even tone. It seems more about the overall group dynamics and the large canvas than being a character piece.

I like that they're willing to take chances like this and throw a huge WTF out. It's also a good way to spend time with more main characters.

Plus, a point not addressed: the end of last season kind of sorted through most people's issues; everybody got their laundry out, aired it, and got some closure. So... retreading a lot of that with the same cast in the new season just might not give it many places to go.

Instead, we have both fresh cast members to explore, and presumably new events from the last five years, like wondering what happened between Superboy and MM.

5 years time skip?
I don´t like Lagoon Boy.
Blue Beatles ´s first impression on me was not as good as the hype was for him.
Where the fuck is Aqua Lad?
Lobo is just so great. More Lobo or GTFO.
Why did Megan and Super Boy break up?
Night wing is cool.
Does Blue Beatle only have one power?
Why the hell would they introduce so many new characters without any introduction?
Where the fuck is Aqua Lad?

Does anyone fear the sheer amount of super heroes would make the quality of the show go down, since there would be no focus on core characters?

Blue Beetles suit is pretty much a mechanized battle suit that thinks for itself.

Khezu

Aqua lad is totally evil now, probably chilling with daddy.

Flash and artemis are probably dead, you can't have a group of young DC heroes with out half of them dying horribly violent deaths. Its like a DC mandate or something.

Brahs there was nothing jarring about this episode, if you want storyline where everything is handed to you go watch USM. Loeb is catering to those types of people.

Tizoc

Great first ep. IMO, and glad to see Tim, he's my fav. Robin.
Hopefully we get to see Guy Gardner in an upcoming ep.

jvalioli

I didn't find anything that jarring besides the no mention of Kid Flash and Aqualad. I'm just assuming for now Wally is the new Flash and they will address it by just having someone refer to him as Wally casually.

I loved this episode. I've watched it twice now. I don't think I have ever seen a cartoon do something this ballsy. There was a little confusion in my house regarding the three missing YJers, but for the most part we were just wow'd by the presence of so many cool new members, especially Batgirl and Wonder Girl. I love what they're doing with those characters...and I'm relieved Lobo was limited to a cameo, at least for now. He's not my favorite character and there was just too much going on. I am a much bigger fan of this iteration, though, than I ever was of the version we got in Superman. I hated every second he was on the screen...he was far too cartoony. Probably my least favorite DCAU character.

So many questions this episode raises...in a good way! I'm looking forward to peeling back the layers of the "missing" five years. I'm expecting a few solid flashbacks with the original team; if we never see them again I'll definitely be disappointed.

It is unfortunate, however, that they're using an alternate Wonder Girl for the shorts; I tried to explain this to my kid but she still can't quite wrap her head around it. Ditto for the Robin --> Nightwing switch; the first time we watched it she thought Nightwing was the new character, though I think we have that one squared away now. On that note, I'm actually kinda glad the scheduling worked out the way it did; this would have been a lot more confusing if it came back several months later and basically felt like a new show. It worked for JLU because the transition to a larger league was well established at the end of JL. I don't think they needed to do that here, I'm just grateful for the schedule mishap.

I think Wally is probably "dead." I'm expecting some kind of speedforce voodoo which led to his apparent death, only for him to return several years later with important answers. It'd be a neat twist if he doesn't age at all in the interim, actually. Aqualad probably just went home...though we're worried Artemis may have gone rogue.

BTW, if any of this is known to be incorrect due to spoilers...I don't wanna know. I keep having to bail on this thread due to the sloppy spoiler tagging.

Epcott

Episode was good, but still pretty "WTF" to me.
It's not so much that the time skip happens out of nowhere (which would have been less jarring if not for that cliffhanger last season), its that it introduces characters in such a way that only benefits longtime comic readers, which is really an awkward way to start a new storyline.

But it's only episode one of season two, so maybe they'll get into the new team more.

Probably the best time skip story I've read / watched in a long time. I was definitely hoping for more of the original team since we barely saw some of them in action like Zatanna. I read some of the spoilers so I knew of the timeskip but I was hesitant thinking I wouldn't liked it. Pretty much the only thing I don't really like at the moment is that water frog hulk member. Really hoping to see Artemis and Kid Flash soon. Please no deaths. Or kill Aqualad. Worst character of season 1.

Oh, and as for Robins, I like Dick the best. Grew up reading him. Sorry Tim fans, I also like Morrison's Damien better as well. If we get a Season 3, I want Dick as Bats, Tim as whatever, and Damien as Robin. Oh, and bring in Stephanie Brown please. Loved her as Batgirl.

Oh, and bring in Stephanie Brown please. Loved her as Batgirl.
Cassandra please
='(

for me Dick is the best Robin but Dick as Nightwing is my second favorite DC character.
I really think Batman should have gotten a new design because this Nightwing's suit puts the YJ batsuit to shame imo.
has a full body image or design sheet been released anywhere?

The most jarring thing is that, not being an avid DC reader, I have no idea who half of these people are.

In the first season, every YJ member was directly tied to a known league member:

Flash - Kid Flash
Batman - Robin
Superman - Superboy
Aquaman - Aqualad
Zatarra/Dr. Fate - Zatanna
Icon - Rocket
Green Arrow - Artemis & Red Arrow
Martian Manhunter - Ms. Martian

Now we have

??? - Random black guy
??? - Wasp girl
??? - Lagoon Boy
Blue Beetle (Ted Kord never shown) - Blue Beetle

And then there's the fact that the last season ended on a cliffhanger. What is The Light's plan? Did they ever apprehend Vandal Savage and Klarion? What is Ra's Al Ghul doing with Speedy's body? 5 years have gone by and we're supposed to accept that they have none of these answers? Rocket was on the team for all of 2 episodes.

The most jarring thing is that, not being an avid DC reader, I have no idea who half of these people are.

In the first season, every YJ member was directly tied to a known league member:

Flash - Kid Flash
Batman - Robin
Superman - Superboy
Aquaman - Aqualad
Icon - Rocket

Now we have

??? - Random black guy
??? - Wasp girl
??? - Lagoon Boy

And then there's the fact that the last season ended on a cliffhanger. What is The Light's plan? Did they ever apprehend Vandal Savage and Klarion? What is Ra's Al Ghul doing with Speedy's body? 5 years have gone by and we're supposed to accept that they have none of these answers? Rocket was on the team for all of 2 episodes.

Mal Duncan ( season 1: went to HS with SB & Miss Martian. In a relationship with ->), Bumble Bee, and La'gaan (went to the same magic school as Aqualad).

Everything else is going to make for a good season. Why would the writers give up everything in one ep? My guess is that Roy original will become a villain towards the team.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Probably the best time skip story I've read / watched in a long time. I was definitely hoping for more of the original team since we barely saw some of them in action like Zatanna. I read some of the spoilers so I knew of the timeskip but I was hesitant thinking I wouldn't liked it. Pretty much the only thing I don't really like at the moment is that water frog hulk member. Really hoping to see Artemis and Kid Flash soon. Please no deaths. Or kill Aqualad. Worst character of season 1.

Oh, and as for Robins, I like Dick the best. Grew up reading him. Sorry Tim fans, I also like Morrison's Damien better as well. If we get a Season 3, I want Dick as Bats, Tim as whatever, and Damien as Robin. Oh, and bring in Stephanie Brown please. Loved her as Batgirl.

all of this... dick best robin? stephanie your favorite batgirl? kill aqualad? i have no words....

Flash - Kid Flash
Batman - Robin
Superman - Superboy
Aquaman - Aqualad
Icon - Rocket

Now we have

??? - Random black guy
??? - Wasp girl
??? - Lagoon Boy

icon isnt really a known league member. and blue beetle is jaime reyes, the 3rd beetle, and the only one thats truly been able to access the scarabs power. he is a legacy, although he hasnt met his predecessors that i can remember.

mal duncan is vox. and has appeared in animation as herald in teen titans.

wasp girl is bumblebee. and their similarities in powers is pretty funny.

lagoon boy is a personal favorite of mine, but i wont deny his b list nature. he appeared in two teams, and ended up comatose in the latter.

as for the rest. well when dealing with vandal savage, time means absolutely nothing to him. he could easily go underground for a decade and wait to play his next move.

They connected the episode to the first season really well though. We found out that the missing 6 were off world.

We will find out all the other stuff throughout the season.

besada

Banned
Dick banged Starfire...best Robin confirmed. Tim's the best of the Robin clones, though.

Interesting episode. Part of me wishes they'd kept the core team together for another season before doing this, but I enjoyed seeing the changes. Blue Beetle is great. I suspect there's no Ted Kord in this universe. I was also pleased to see Beast Boy. I hope they're doing the classic invasion mixed with Legends. They can skip the Millennium crap.

Not ok with the time skip, I felt too much was left behind. I have a feeling they'll flash back and tell stories from that five year gap, but I was set on seeing the current team have more adventures, I don't want them left behind the minute they stop keeping secrets from each other, until the point where they're splintered and troubled again.

Khezu

Dick banged Starfire...best Robin confirmed. Tim's the best of the Robin clones, though.

Interesting episode. Part of me wishes they'd kept the core team together for another season before doing this, but I enjoyed seeing the changes. Blue Beetle is great. I suspect there's no Ted Kord in this universe. I was also pleased to see Beast Boy. I hope they're doing the classic invasion mixed with Legends. They can skip the Millennium crap.

So did jason, and roy, probably at the time too.

Parallax

Why do you think ted doesnt exist?

Mononofu

Artemis crock's New 52 design.

2316184-artemis.png

also
Tempest
is a playable character in YJ: legacy.

Parallax

No mention of him probably leads to that assumption. Although, it's seriously far too early for us not to have Beetle focused eps that delve into his history.

the same thing happened in the brave and the bold though. jaime appeared for a good while before mention of ted.

Slayven

the same thing happened in the brave and the bold though. jaime appeared for a good while before mention of ted.

People gave few shits about Ted before his brain got air conditioning. I only liked him in Extreme Justice, cause they thought he was Spiderman.

Top Bottom